Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

2024 Draft

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: Todd M, bgdavis, Steve Lentz, DavidAOlson, Ricky J, BisonFan, Jeff Jesser, ratoppenheimer
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> 2024 Draft Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
2024 Draft - 12/31/2023 8:56:44 PM   
Mark Anderson

Might as well crank it up.
Post #: 1
RE: 2024 Draft - 12/31/2023 9:33:15 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

Sooo many holes.. such idiots picking players…

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 2
RE: 2024 Draft - 1/1/2024 10:58:01 AM   
Mark Anderson

I'm hoping Daniels or McCarthy.
Post #: 3
RE: 2024 Draft - 1/1/2024 4:12:44 PM   
Mark Anderson

We'll see how McCarthy does against Alabama D today. I might change my mind on him.
Post #: 4
RE: 2024 Draft - 1/2/2024 7:58:21 AM   
Phil Riewer

I am more on Penix, Daniels, and Nix.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 5
RE: 2024 Draft - 1/2/2024 8:01:50 AM   
Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

I am more on Penix, Daniels, and Nix.

Penix and Daniels for me. The rest I don't really care.
Post #: 6
RE: 2024 Draft - 1/2/2024 8:01:51 AM  1 votes
bstinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

Sooo many holes.. such idiots picking players…

Great post!

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 7
RE: 2024 Draft - 1/2/2024 9:32:50 AM   
David Levine

Michael Penix QB Washington
by Drew Boylhart • December 26, 2023

STRENGTHS
Michael is the pocket-passing extraordinaire quarterback of this draft. His accuracy and overall arm talent from the pocket are franchise-like. He has the size and arm velocity in the red zone to defeat any style or type of defense. Michael shows leadership skills through his play on the field. He will make the throw with accuracy, that most NFL quarterbacks can’t make. Michael has the arm talent to make the players around him better. His ability to make plays in the passing game opens up the ability to run the ball and that is the definition of a franchise quarterback. If the team that selects him protects him in the pocket with a good offensive line, I guarantee, you will see Michael in the Super Bowl.

CONCERNS
Injuries have made Michael a pocket passer and stolen his quickness when flushed out of the pocket. He must learn to manipulate the pocket better and not take the big hits in the pocket or he will never make it through a 17-game schedule. He has to become more “Tom Brady like” to gain better passing lanes, set up his offensive line better, and keep himself healthy.

BOTTOM LINE: 1.47
Because we don’t have Tight Ends that block or fullbacks, and teams send 6 players from the defense against 5 offensive linemen, the NFL is now looking for a more athletic quarterback who can extend plays running the ball and throwing the ball on the run. At one time, Michael was one of those types of quarterbacks. Now Michael is a pocket-passing extraordinaire type of quarterback; believe me, those are rare, especially with Michael’s accuracy. There is no throw in the NFL quarterback book, that Michael can’t make with the velocity, accuracy, or touch, needed to bring a team from behind to win a game. Don’t worry about drafting receivers because Michael can make anyone a better receiver. Don’t worry about drafting a running back because Michael will force teams to play light in the box allowing his running back to run the ball effectively. Just worry about one thing after you select Michael…drafting and finding offensive lineman to protect him. You do that and trust me, Michael will take you to a Super Bowl.

https://www.thehuddlereport.com/blog/?p=3884
Post #: 8
RE: 2024 Draft - 1/2/2024 9:33:35 AM   
David Levine

Jayden Daniels QB LSU
by Drew Boylhart • December 26, 2023

STRENGTHS
Jayden has the athletic talent, size, speed, arm talent, and arm strength to be a franchise quarterback for the team that selects him. When he runs, he looks like a wide receiver playing quarterback. Jayden has different gears when he runs that fool tacklers into thinking they are about to tackle him but they really don’t have a chance. He does a good job passing the ball with accuracy and velocity from a clean pocket and can make all the throws needed to impact at the next level. Jayden has the needed leadership skills and character to carry a franchise on and off the field. Add to that, his “Lamar Jackson” type athletic talent to play the quarterback position and you have a potential franchise quarterback.

CONCERNS
Jayden needs to gain more confidence playing from the pocket. Right now, when his team is in trouble he runs to gain the needed yardage or threatens to run and leave the pocket. When forced to play from the pocket and not given the lanes to run, he struggles to throw the ball with the needed accuracy and confidence to make an impact play. He has the talent, character and work ethic to improve given the time and experience and, I have no doubt that he will.

BOTTOM LINE: 1.46
Every year we see talented quarterbacks come out in the draft and watch their ability to play the position, they’ve played all of their lives, dissolve right in front of our eyes. The difference between a franchise quarterback, and a good quarterback, is the ability to overcome poor coaching. I believe most of the quarterbacks selected in the first round fail because of that one reason…poor coaching at the NFL level. I believe the talent is there but the quickness in decision-making is lacking and poor coaching magnifies this mental flaw instead of developing it. As I have always said…it takes more than talent to play in the NFL. I believe Jayden has more than talent and can overcome poor coaching with the character, maturity, and work ethic to make the players and the coaching around him better. That is the definition of a potential franchise quarterback.

https://www.thehuddlereport.com/blog/?p=3882
Post #: 9
RE: 2024 Draft - 1/2/2024 1:15:56 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Projecting Williams, Maye, Daniels are all selected in the top 5. Penix, Nix, etc may be second round prospects, but they are QBs in a QB needy league so will go higher. Penix has been injury free the past two years and they all have risks in some fashion so take him... if he is still on the board. If not then target CB, a top-tier position that happens to be a need.

Defense and a center with the other picks.
Post #: 10
RE: 2024 Draft - 1/2/2024 1:37:42 PM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

Projecting Williams, Maye, Daniels are all selected in the top 5. Penix, Nix, etc may be second round prospects, but they are QBs in a QB needy league so will go higher. Penix has been injury free the past two years and they all have risks in some fashion so take him... if he is still on the board. If not then target CB, a top-tier position that happens to be a need.

Defense and a center with the other picks.

Penix has been sacked less in his career than Caleb Williams was THIS year. Heard that stat today and it blew my mind. Kid has elite pocket presence too.
Post #: 11
RE: 2024 Draft - 1/5/2024 7:41:39 AM   
BisonFan

I really like how Penix throws a deep ball. If we could get him and a real speedster on the outside that would sure help Jefferson. Just want a QB in the first round.
Post #: 12
RE: 2024 Draft - 1/7/2024 6:29:43 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Looks like #11. If we stay there, IMO Caleb, Maye, Daniels, and Penix Jr are gone. Nix, McCarthy, Sanders (?) are options. Punt and take maybe take top CB or a top Edge?

We are already missing a 3rd and face a mammoth dead cap bill. We really are not potential players compared to other teams (except for just how bad we are at QB), but that doesn't stop GMs from trading up. And Kwesi likes credit!
Post #: 13
RE: 2024 Draft - 1/7/2024 7:49:38 PM   
joejitsu

quote:

Looks like #11. If we stay there, IMO Caleb, Maye, Daniels, and Penix Jr are gone. Nix, McCarthy, Sanders (?) are options. Punt and take maybe take top CB or a top Edge?

We are already missing a 3rd and face a mammoth dead cap bill. We really are not potential players compared to other teams (except for just how bad we are at QB), but that doesn't stop GMs from trading up. And Kwesi likes credit!

We'll have a better picture of the qb's available after the combine. Someone always gets overvalued after that. I would reach for Maye, Daniels, or Penix if they are available.
Post #: 14
RE: 2024 Draft - 1/8/2024 8:21:24 AM   
Trekgeekscott

We need to find a way to get Penix

He'd be a perfect fit for this offense.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 15
RE: 2024 Draft - 1/8/2024 9:22:37 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

Some say he drops to the second round----do you play that roulette?

Post #: 16
RE: 2024 Draft - 1/8/2024 9:24:40 AM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

quote:

Only way that happens is if he gets hurt tonight. His only question mark has been health and he's been healthy for 2 straight years. His performances, of late, have washed those away. He's top 15 (probably top 10) at this point unless his scans reveal something more long term problematic.
Post #: 17
RE: 2024 Draft - 1/8/2024 11:12:24 AM   
Mark Anderson

2 teams to trade up with. Chargers and Cardinals

Everyone else up there needs a QB.

Cardinals probably could move on from Murray but supposedly his contract is untradeable.
Post #: 18
RE: 2024 Draft - 1/8/2024 11:27:12 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

Cardinals probably could move on from Murray but supposedly his contract is untradeable.

Yep. Maybe the Giants too since Jones has that big contract?
Post #: 19
RE: 2024 Draft - 1/8/2024 11:56:52 AM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

Yep. Maybe the Giants too since Jones has that big contract?

They have an out after next season with a 22M dead cap hit.
Post #: 20
RE: 2024 Draft - 1/9/2024 8:12:32 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

If we wind up with Pennix, I'll be one jolly sob.

I've seen mocks that have him going on day 2. I've seen mocks that have going before the Vikings pick. He's one of those guys who will climb draft boards as the draft gets closer.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 21
RE: 2024 Draft - 1/9/2024 8:31:39 AM   
Bill Johanesen

Penix did not deliver in the big game. He's probably the guy at #11 (if he makes it that far), and one has to account for his entire career but dang... wanted to see 'It'.

Then again, if he threw 5 TDs last night he'd be projected to go higher.
Post #: 22
RE: 2024 Draft - 1/9/2024 9:12:33 AM   
TJSweens

I think the Michigan defense had a lot to do with it. That defense is loaded.

I look at how the teams got to the title. Michigan is talented and deep across the board. Just a great roster. Washington State isn't as talented or deep, but they rode their QB to the title game.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 23
RE: 2024 Draft - 1/9/2024 9:25:53 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

quote:

If we wind up with Pennix, I'll be one jolly sob.

I've seen mocks that have him going on day 2. I've seen mocks that have going before the Vikings pick. He's one of those guys who will climb draft boards as the draft gets closer.

I am good with him; like I said in the other thread he looks like Tua with a great arm. JJ and Addison would love him. Grab a big body WR later and the offense is set.

Post #: 24
RE: 2024 Draft - 1/9/2024 10:48:31 AM   
Jeff Jesser

JMO but the offense is already pretty set (outside of the obvious QB thing). I would spend 1 resource and that is a legit C and role with

QB
JJ
Addison
Powell (needs to be resigned)
WR#4
Hock/Oliver/Mundt
Chandler/RB#2

Darrisaw/Riesner/newC/Ingram/O'Neil

I would try to get a C or RB#2 via FA (not breaking the bank) and draft the other on day 3. The rest of the kitty needs to be spent on D. We have weapons. That isn't our issue.
Post #: 25
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> 2024 Draft Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode