Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: 2024 Draft

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: David Levine, TJSweens, Daniel Lee Young, Ricky J, kevinemmer
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2024 Draft Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 2024 Draft - 1/22/2024 12:41:19 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

Dusty says trade away both first and 2nd rounders in 2024 and 2025 to move up for Maye.
If Penix, Nix, or McCarthy are there in the 2nd are you gaining much with Maye?

I wouldn't give up all that for Maye.
Post #: 51
RE: 2024 Draft - 1/22/2024 1:14:06 PM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

Dusty says trade away both first and 2nd rounders in 2024 and 2025 to move up for Maye.

I would give this and next 1st rounders to move up for Daniels but agree on Maye. Just don't see it.
Post #: 52
RE: 2024 Draft - 1/22/2024 1:37:08 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

I would give this and next 1st rounders to move up for Daniels but agree on Maye. Just don't see it.

I just don't see that much of a difference between Daniels and Penix. McCarthy even looks like a more athletic Goff to me. When you have so many 6-7 with uncertainty of the best being Williams----I would be in the trade down grab a bit, grab Penix, Nix, or McCarthy and grab another one later.

1 Penix/Nix/McCarthy
2 DT/DE or Oline
3 QB
4 Bucky Irving
Rest Defense

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 1/22/2024 1:43:19 PM >

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 53
RE: 2024 Draft - 1/22/2024 1:45:54 PM   
Jeff Jesser

I'd be fine with Penix at 11 (assuming his medicals are fine). I wouldn't touch Nix with a 10 foot pole unless it was the 5th or lower. Dude never pushes the ball downfield.
Post #: 54
RE: 2024 Draft - 1/22/2024 1:46:38 PM   
Jeff Jesser

wrong thread

< Message edited by Jeff Jesser -- 1/22/2024 2:08:46 PM >
Post #: 55
RE: 2024 Draft - 1/22/2024 1:54:03 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

I'd be fine with Penix at 11 (assuming his medicals are fine). I wouldn't touch Nix with a 10 foot pole unless it was the 5th or lower. Dude never pushes the ball downfield.

Right now the mock has Williams, Maye, and Daniels Picks 1-3 and Nix in the middle of the draft. Penix and McCarthy aren't in the 1st. They have us with an edge or a DT.

Post #: 56
RE: 2024 Draft - 1/22/2024 1:58:41 PM   
Jeff Jesser

My last thought, for now, is JJM. Every time I saw him I came away unimpressed. Not saying he can't be the guy I didn't see anything special. I've heard that was Harbaugh not letting him but I do wonder if that's just not the case. His combine will be a huge factor for him, IMO.
Post #: 57
RE: 2024 Draft - 1/22/2024 2:00:53 PM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

quote:

Right now the mock has Williams, Maye, and Daniels Picks 1-3 and Nix in the middle of the draft. Penix and McCarthy aren't in the 1st. They have us with an edge or a DT.

I would be fine with that too assuming we take a QB in the 2nd. My guess, as I've said here before (and it wouldn't be my plan but I think it's what they'll do)

Resign KC's for 3 years, 2 guaranteed
take edge or DL in the first
QB 2nd
D the rest of the way
Post #: 58
RE: 2024 Draft - 1/22/2024 2:03:33 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

My last thought, for now, is JJM. Every time I saw him I came away unimpressed. Not saying he can't be the guy I didn't see anything special. I've heard that was Harbaugh not letting him but I do wonder if that's just not the case. His combine will be a huge factor for him, IMO.

What I watched was that Michigan's line and RB were too much for almost anyone----OSU has done the same to Fields and Stroud at times.

I think you pair Penix, McCarthy, or Nix with JJ and Addison it will be good. I think McCarthy being the youngest may need to watch a little.

Post #: 59
RE: 2024 Draft - 1/22/2024 2:26:03 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

I would be fine with that too assuming we take a QB in the 2nd. My guess, as I've said here before (and it wouldn't be my plan but I think it's what they'll do)

QB 2nd
D the rest of the way

The only reason you re-sign Cousins is if we think we can make a deep run. That's not happening with our roster so go with a bridge guy(Rudolph) and draft one of Top 5 QBs.

Plus, you can pick up a young FA starter or two with money you saved by not re-signing Cousins.
Post #: 60
RE: 2024 Draft - 1/22/2024 3:14:50 PM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

QB 2nd
D the rest of the way

The only reason you re-sign Cousins is if we think we can make a deep run. That's not happening with our roster so go with a bridge guy(Rudolph) and draft one of Top 5 QBs.

Plus, you can pick up a young FA starter or two with money you saved by not re-signing Cousins.

Don’t get me wrong. Agree and it’s way past the time to move forward but I’m not convinced KAM knows a good way to do that. And, let’s be honest. If he botches this badly and gets fired, he’s not getting another chance. He was a big risk to begin with. KC’s, probably in his mind, gives him time.
Post #: 61
RE: 2024 Draft - 1/22/2024 3:20:43 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

QB 2nd
D the rest of the way

Why would you go bridge when you have 2 guys in Nix and Penix that have 5-6 years of college experience? I would agree if the plan is to draft McCarthy and a lesser extend Daniels.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 1/22/2024 3:22:58 PM >

Post #: 62
RE: 2024 Draft - 1/22/2024 3:35:23 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

QB 2nd
D the rest of the way

Why would you go bridge when you have 2 guys in Nix and Penix that have 5-6 years of college experience? I would agree if the plan is to draft McCarthy and a lesser extend Daniels.

Free Agency is before the draft. You don't know what you will get in draft. 2 yr deal for Rudolph that he can get out of after 1 year.
Post #: 63
RE: 2024 Draft - 1/22/2024 4:03:10 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Yeap. They have to have a plan in place before the draft. It can be augmented during/after but if they go in and just see where things fall they are dumber than I thought.
Post #: 64
RE: 2024 Draft - 1/22/2024 4:11:59 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

Yeap. They have to have a plan in place before the draft. It can be augmented during/after but if they go in and just see where things fall they are dumber than I thought.

Funny that's exactly how dumb I think they are.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 65
RE: 2024 Draft - 1/22/2024 4:42:22 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

QB 2nd
D the rest of the way

Free Agency is before the draft. You don't know what you will get in draft. 2 yr deal for Rudolph that he can get out of after 1 year.

I don't mind Rudolph but if you are at 11 Nix and Penix should both be there. I guess it matters how much Rudolph will cost.

Post #: 66
RE: 2024 Draft - 1/22/2024 7:08:57 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

quote:

quote:

quote:

QB 2nd
D the rest of the way

I'd quite possibly have to hurt someone, if the first thing happens… probably have to strangle that voice in my head…

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 67
RE: 2024 Draft - 1/23/2024 10:19:34 AM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

QB 2nd
D the rest of the way

First off, you have to know Cousins is healthy to sign him. There is no way you give him any type of contract without knowing that.

For once, the organization has the upper-hand in negotiations. Play on the cheap with incentives. If you aren't interested in that, we aren't interested in you.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 1/23/2024 10:22:05 AM >

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 68
RE: 2024 Draft - 1/23/2024 5:28:41 PM   
Jeff Jesser

I don't quite see it that way. Because his dead cap decision has to be made by Mid March, they either have to resign him before or eat that. You aren't eating 28 million and tacking on another 30+ on a new deal. JMO but, they either work something out soon or he's gone. He's not the type of guy that would consider the 28 coming and say "just make up the difference and give me 7 mill on the new contract".

He's going to demand 35+ and take his 28 to boot.
Post #: 69
RE: 2024 Draft - 1/23/2024 5:37:41 PM   
Todd M

The 28 comes off our books but not into Cousins’ pocket. If he signs for 7 35 comes off our books but he makes 7.

The bottom line for me is we have to eat it at some point. Let’s do it now.
Post #: 70
RE: 2024 Draft - 1/23/2024 6:24:37 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Yeah, sorry. That came out badly but it looks like you know what I meant.
Post #: 71
RE: 2024 Draft - 1/23/2024 6:33:08 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

I don't quite see it that way. Because his dead cap decision has to be made by Mid March, they either have to resign him before or eat that. You aren't eating 28 million and tacking on another 30+ on a new deal. JMO but, they either work something out soon or he's gone. He's not the type of guy that would consider the 28 coming and say "just make up the difference and give me 7 mill on the new contract".

He's going to demand 35+ and take his 28 to boot.

He has already collected the 28 mil.

But agree, they are not eating 28 million and adding new money. As you say, it will be something they work out soon or he is gone.

If he hits free agency and they then sign him, cap wise it's 28.5 due PLUS 30+ or whatever million depending how they structure the deal.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 1/23/2024 6:37:21 PM >
Post #: 72
RE: 2024 Draft - 1/23/2024 6:40:08 PM   
Todd M

I get you Jesser You want to pay Cousins 63 million next year and move up in the draft for Nix. I follow along.
Post #: 73
RE: 2024 Draft - 1/24/2024 12:42:46 AM   
JT2

quote:

He's going to impress everybody with his combine performance. He's fast, quick and fundamentally sound on all aspects of being a NFL QB.
He's coachable. He played to the strength of his team. Smash mouth run it down your throat football. He did have the best passer rating in all of college football on passes outside of the pocket.

I'll say it again, I wouldn't be at all surprised if he's the best NFL QB from this draft.
Post #: 74
RE: 2024 Draft - 1/24/2024 4:21:39 AM   
Todd M

No issue taking JJ at 11?

To me if they get their guy I really don’t care where the draft analysts say someone could or should go.
Post #: 75
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2024 Draft Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode