Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: 2024 Draft

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: DavidAOlson, Bill Jandro
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2024 Draft Page: <<   < prev  56 57 [58] 59 60   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/24/2024 8:29:38 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

For my money -

Williams, Daniels look like franchise type players.

Maye, McCarthy (barely) look like they could develop into serviceable starters if they are given time in the right system.

Penix Nix Rattler are in the Mond Pickett Ridder Willis Corral Fields Jones class of 'you'll be lucky if they finish their rookie contract on your roster.'

I am higher on Maye and McCarthy, but all in all that's a reasonable breakdown. Nix or Penix could wind up having an Andy Dalton type career or a Case Keenum year somewhere along the line.

I should have left off 'serviceable' which sounds more derogatory than I intended. Starter material.

I do see a jump from the first two to Maye / McCarthy. And then a 'Thanos throwing Gamora down the precipice of Vormir' type drop to Penix and Nix.

That's probably how it's most likely aligned among the prognosticators and run of the mill draftniks.
Post #: 1426
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/24/2024 9:11:40 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

For my money -

Maye, McCarthy (barely) look like they could develop into serviceable starters if they are given time in the right system.

Penix Nix Rattler are in the Mond Pickett Ridder Willis Corral Fields Jones class of 'you'll be lucky if they finish their rookie contract on your roster.'

I am higher on Maye and McCarthy, but all in all that's a reasonable breakdown. Nix or Penix could wind up having an Andy Dalton type career or a Case Keenum year somewhere along the line.

I should have left off 'serviceable' which sounds more derogatory than I intended. Starter material.

I do see a jump from the first two to Maye / McCarthy. And then a 'Thanos throwing Gamora down the precipice of Vormir' type drop to Penix and Nix.

That's probably how it's most likely aligned among the prognosticators and run of the mill draftniks.

That’s true although I meandered from profuse drool over a ‘deep qb class’ to get to my conventional outlook.

Darnold, one of the above, Hall. Some day 3 picks at other positions. The luster is tarnished and wearing off.

Time to savor the real meat of the draft, UDFAs.
Post #: 1427
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/24/2024 9:12:51 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

For my money -

Yep, for what they are worth, a lot of mocks have one or both of Nix and Penix dropping out of the first round.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 1428
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/24/2024 9:29:19 AM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dave Odle

Personally, I'd like to see us stand pat at 11 and take a QB without trades. I feel we could get an elite playmaker at 23 or trade down and get some draft capital back and maybe then some; especially if a player some team covets keeps dropping.

I'll go with my original desire. Draft the top offensive lineman at 11 and see what quarterback slides to 23 (I like both Nix and Penix more than McCarthy anyways). We desperately need a future quarterback, but we are also very thin up front.

The Vikings have more than one need.

I see no reason to invest multiple picks on a guy (McCarthy) who following the college season was considered a late-first, early-second round draft pick. That seems like a very risky draft philosophy. Did he somehow get better not playing anyone over the past two months?

< Message edited by Brad H -- 4/24/2024 9:38:02 AM >

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 1429
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/24/2024 10:11:16 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dave Odle

Personally, I'd like to see us stand pat at 11 and take a QB without trades. I feel we could get an elite playmaker at 23 or trade down and get some draft capital back and maybe then some; especially if a player some team covets keeps dropping.

I'll go with my original desire. Draft the top offensive lineman at 11 and see what quarterback slides to 23 (I like both Nix and Penix more than McCarthy anyways). We desperately need a future quarterback, but we are also very thin up front.

The Vikings have more than one need.

I see no reason to invest multiple picks on a guy (McCarthy) who following the college season was considered a late-first, early-second round draft pick. That seems like a very risky draft philosophy. Did he somehow get better not playing anyone over the past two months?

My best guess is neither makes it to 23.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1430
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/24/2024 10:12:18 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

For my money -

Yep, for what they are worth, a lot of mocks have one or both of Nix and Penix dropping out of the first round.

I'll stake my draft cred on that not happening.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1431
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/24/2024 10:53:19 AM   
TJSweens

Just listened to Dustin Baker on PAs show. He believes the Vikings and Patriots have a deal in place contingent on what the Commanders with #2. He believes the Vikings are all in on Maye.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 1432
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/24/2024 10:56:59 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

Just listened to Dustin Baker on PAs show. He believes the Vikings and Patriots have a deal in place contingent on what the Commanders with #2. He believes the Vikings are all in on Maye.

Good for Dustin. I hope he's wrong.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1433
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/24/2024 11:35:29 AM   
Todd M

quote:

If you filter out all the noise this is a likely scenario.

Last I heard is any offers for 3 have been laughable to the Pats.
Post #: 1434
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/24/2024 11:43:20 AM   
David Levine

quote:

I think Maye is super intriguing. Definitely needs to sit a year, but has real upside potential.
Post #: 1435
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/24/2024 11:44:46 AM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

quote:

What you ask for and what you accept are often two very different things.
Post #: 1436
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/24/2024 11:56:39 AM   
marty

I just hope the Vikings aren't giving up more than 2 1sts.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 1437
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/24/2024 11:59:12 AM   
marty

Unless there was a guaranteed stud INTERIOR OL available at 11, I would draft the QB at 11, so you're getting YOUR choice not leftovers. And QB is the much more important position.

Then I would draft either WR, DI or CB at #23.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 1438
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/24/2024 12:07:45 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

Unless there was a guaranteed stud INTERIOR OL available at 11, I would draft the QB at 11, so you're getting YOUR choice not leftovers. And QB is the much more important position.

If INTERIOR OL is important enough to consider at 11, why not at 23?
Post #: 1439
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/24/2024 12:09:38 PM   
bongbong

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

I think Maye is super intriguing. Definitely needs to sit a year, but has real upside potential.

Considering about half of the pro-ready/can't miss college QBs will bust,, spending multiple 1sts on one you think needs to sit seems nutso, imo.

Is give up 11 and 23 for Daniels at #3, though
Post #: 1440
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/24/2024 12:10:11 PM   
marty

I suppose you could consider it David, I just haven't seen much for interior OL prospects getting mocked.

The mocks seem to have a lot of CBs, WRs and edge rushers in the 20s.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 1441
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/24/2024 12:16:12 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

Nix and Penix are leftovers. Make no mistake about it. The only reason they go in the first is out of desperation. I just heard a reporter from the Athletic say that Payton for one won't draft a QB for the sake of drafting a QB.

Post #: 1442
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/24/2024 12:31:40 PM   
Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: bongbong

quote:

quote:

Considering about half of the pro-ready/can't miss college QBs will bust,, spending multiple 1sts on one you think needs to sit seems nutso, imo.

It’s really hard to rectify that.
Post #: 1443
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/24/2024 12:31:57 PM   
bongbong

quote:

quote:

Nix and Penix are leftovers. Make no mistake about it. The only reason they go in the first is out of desperation. I just heard a reporter from the Athletic say that Payton for one won't draft a QB for the sake of drafting a QB.

Agree on Nix, but I think Penix is worth a shot at 11. Maye and JJM seem like leftovers (at their projected spots) after the top 2.
Post #: 1444
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/24/2024 12:45:28 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: bongbong

quote:

quote:

It’s really hard to rectify that.

The problem is that the odds get even longer when you sit back and take the guy that falls to you.

Post #: 1445
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/24/2024 12:46:53 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

The mocks with Nix to Denver at 12 seem to be drying up fast.
Post #: 1446
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/24/2024 1:00:59 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

What you ask for and what you accept are often two very different things.

Thank you for understanding that. Some people don't.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1447
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/24/2024 1:02:31 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

The mocks with Nix to Denver at 12 seem to be drying up fast.

That's where I'm mocking him, but I won't complain if he goes 11 to Minnesota.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1448
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/24/2024 1:05:09 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

Every player after #1 is leftovers. They are the players left after the first team picks. Any person who understands logic knows that. No mistake should be made about that.
There's nothing wrong with settling and taking leftovers. Otherwise the draft ends after 1 selection.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 4/24/2024 1:09:26 PM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1449
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/24/2024 1:07:13 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

I just hope the Vikings aren't giving up more than 2 1sts.

If we trade up to 3 we almost certainly are. If we trade up to 4 or 5 we certainly shouldn't be.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1450
Page:   <<   < prev  56 57 [58] 59 60   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2024 Draft Page: <<   < prev  56 57 [58] 59 60   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode