Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: 2024 Draft

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: TJSweens
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2024 Draft Page: <<   < prev  59 60 [61] 62 63   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/25/2024 9:19:24 AM   
Trekgeekscott

OK

1. If a player originally was predicted to be a lower pick but since the Combine is 'moving up the draft'...be wary.

2. If it took the combine to make you like a player... be wary

3. Don't be over excited about pure athletic ability, great athlete does not necessarily mean great football player....see Cordarelle Patterson or Joe Webb.

Drafting for need or BPA...

Two hall of fame players (one that is and one that will be soon) for the Vikings were drafted when we had little or no need for their position, Randy Moss and Adrian Peterson. Trading up should only happen if you have a guy you absolutely Love a guy. Drafting for need tends to make teams reach and draft a guy too high. Stick where you are, pick the best player on your board at that point regardless of need.

Don't mortgage your future for one guy. if he fails, you, and the next GM, since you will be fired will be ****ed for years.

So

I would like the Vikings to stick at 11 and 23, perhaps trade down with 23 to add a pick or two, And pick the best player available.

we NEED a QB. No doubt, but he last time we NEEDED one and drafted we ended up with Christian, we can't bring anyone in to compete with him because he can't handle it, Ponder.

If you must draft a QB, look for these traits before running speed and arm strength. How does he move in the pocket? How does he handle pressure? How does he read a defense? How does he lead his team? Can he throw an accurate pass? Does he check down too quickly? Does he understand game situations and not check down short of the sticks on 4th and 8 for example? How quick can he learn a new playbook? Does his game elevate the greater the pressure of the situation? If a play breaks down, does he use his athleticism to run or just to keep a play alive until someone gets open downfield? After those things and a few more I'm sure I missed, then you think about arm strengh and running ability.

I don't pay enough attention to college football to know the answers for any of the QBs in this draft so I can't form a cogent opinion on any of them... So I can't tell you who fits these standards of mine. I just hope we get someone who just knows how to win.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 1501
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/25/2024 9:20:34 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

WE have two picks today..
Then nothing? Until the 4th round…
People saying he can fix this team, or defending KAM and his management “ style” are not all that bright.
We are trying to fix a 7-10 team with one valid Starting QB and multiple holes on the DL , garbage at center, and other positions with 9 picks..
7 of which are 4-7 th round players who will be picked fron the dumpster behind Pizza King…in Detroit.
Total dysfunctional management, yet thousands of fans are “ hyped” about the possibility of a breakout season in 2024.
What koolaid are those people drinking?
KAM is so far in over his head, he needs a 20 foot extention ladder to get his head out of the dumpster that is on fire…
This is gonna be worse than his first draft.

No Free Agents?
you think that our current free agents and practice squad and IR player can magically transform a dumpster fire into a tailgating at the Super Bowl parking lot grill?

JFC..

Define stupid. Open your mouth again… on anything.

Definition of stupid is when you ignore the work done in FA period and pretend a team is only built thru the draft......

You need to check you attitude into a local mental suite dude.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 4/25/2024 9:22:00 AM >

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 1502
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/25/2024 9:23:15 AM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

OK

1. If a player originally was predicted to be a lower pick but since the Combine is 'moving up the draft'...be wary.

3. Don't be over excited about pure athletic ability, great athlete does not necessarily mean great football player....see Cordarelle Patterson or Joe Webb.

Two hall of fame players (one that is and one that will be soon) for the Vikings were drafted when we had little or no need for their position, Randy Moss and Adrian Peterson. Trading up should only happen if you have a guy you absolutely Love a guy. Drafting for need tends to make teams reach and draft a guy too high. Stick where you are, pick the best player on your board at that point regardless of need.

Don't mortgage your future for one guy. if he fails, you, and the next GM, since you will be fired will be ****ed for years.

So

I would like the Vikings to stick at 11 and 23, perhaps trade down with 23 to add a pick or two, And pick the best player available.

we NEED a QB. No doubt, but he last time we NEEDED one and drafted we ended up with Christian, we can't bring anyone in to compete with him because he can't handle it, Ponder.

If you must draft a QB, look for these traits before running speed and arm strength. How does he move in the pocket? How does he handle pressure? How does he read a defense? How does he lead his team? Can he throw an accurate pass? Does he check down too quickly? Does he understand game situations and not check down short of the sticks on 4th and 8 for example? How quick can he learn a new playbook? Does his game elevate the greater the pressure of the situation? If a play breaks down, does he use his athleticism to run or just to keep a play alive until someone gets open downfield? After those things and a few more I'm sure I missed, then you think about arm strengh and running ability.

I don't pay enough attention to college football to know the answers for any of the QBs in this draft so I can't form a cogent opinion on any of them... So I can't tell you who fits these standards of mine. I just hope we get someone who just knows how to win.

Greg Cosell is one of the more brilliant minds out there. He says to be beware of drafting McCarthy. He basically echoes almost everything I have been saying (and he's a whole lot smarter than I). Cosell isn't just one of those guys that watches a few games and then gives his opinion. He's a film guy and totally understands the position.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvKmjQfDAio

< Message edited by Brad H -- 4/25/2024 9:27:45 AM >

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 1503
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/25/2024 9:27:15 AM  1 votes
Daniel Lee Young

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

People saying he can fix this team, or defending KAM and his management “ style” are not all that bright.
We are trying to fix a 7-10 team with one valid Starting QB and multiple holes on the DL , garbage at center, and other positions with 9 picks..
7 of which are 4-7 th round players who will be picked fron the dumpster behind Pizza King…in Detroit.
Total dysfunctional management, yet thousands of fans are “ hyped” about the possibility of a breakout season in 2024.
KAM is so far in over his head, he needs a 20 foot extention ladder to get his head out of the dumpster that is on fire…

No Free Agents?
you think that our current free agents and practice squad and IR player can magically transform a dumpster fire into a tailgating at the Super Bowl parking lot grill?

JFC..

Definition of stupid is when you ignore the work done in FA period and pretend a team is only built thru the draft......

You need to be committed for the things you believe outside of this thread, and the things you say in this thread..

You need ECT.

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 1504
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/25/2024 9:28:59 AM  2 votes
Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

No Free Agents?

JFC..

You need to be committed for the things you believe outside of this thread, and the things you say in this thread..

You need ECT.

For once, I agree with both of you.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 4/25/2024 9:39:56 AM >

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 1505
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/25/2024 9:36:14 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

OK

So

Great post except for the cheap shot at Cousins. Football player is more important than athlete.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1506
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/25/2024 9:43:15 AM  1 votes
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

OK

So

Great post except for the cheap shot at Cousins. Football player is more important than athlete.

Cousins was a decent QB. Good accurate passer, but where he lacked were things that prevented a team from winning more including playoffs.

Check downs, not knowing when to spike the ball.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 1507
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/25/2024 10:10:06 AM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

No Free Agents?

JFC..

We got some decent second tier FAs. Maybe both of the defensive guys together will make-up for what Hunter gave us last year - IF they stay healthy. Aaron Jones is a legit upgrade, but not a difference maker.

Did anyone go into Free Agency hoping we'd sign Jonathan Greenard and Andrew Van Ginkel? How many people even knew who they were last year?

This wasn't the momentous Free Agent coup you keep making it out to be.
Post #: 1508
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/25/2024 10:12:18 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

All I know is this: If the Vikings give up both draft picks and a future to move up to #4 to select McCarthy, it could end up going down as the dumbest move since trading for Herschel Walker.

Especially considering he might be there at 11 if we stick and pick.

The only way he is there is if the Giants pass on him and neither of the QB desperate teams immediately behind us jump up to 9 or 10 to take him. I find that scenario to be highly unlikely.

I'm pretty sure the giants will pass on him at 6 assuming we don't trade up for him. I wouldn't mind a slight trade up from 11 to 8 to lock him up. I do like him a tiny bit more than Nix.

I've advocated a trade up to the Falcons in the past if McCarthy slides past the Giants.

The drop off from McCarthy to Nix is Wile E Coyote falling off a cliff.

Take a look at my edited post that you quoted pre edit. Nix will be better than McCarthy for at least the next two years, but I can see McCarthy catching and passing Nix in year 3. That is why big picture I prefer McCarthy. Payton is more desperate to win now and that is why I believe he prefers Nix.

It's 2024. Quarterbacks rarely get three years to prove themselves. The days of sitting on a bench for a year are long gone.

I expect McCarthy to start midseason this year. He will be OK, but Nix will be better this year and next.

I think Nix is the epitome of already as good as he will ever be. He will be immediately exposed when he doesn't have the luxury of throwing 65% of his passes within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage in the NFL.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 1509
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/25/2024 10:29:36 AM  2 votes
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

OK

So

Cousins was a decent QB. Good accurate passer, but where he lacked were things that prevented a team from winning more including playoffs.

Everybody makes a mistake once in a while. Everybody. We had him here for 6 years. If you want to hang your hat on 2 plays be my guest. Also many times passes thrown short of the sticks get converted into first downs. Players can do a thing called yards after catch.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 4/25/2024 10:33:29 AM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1510
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/25/2024 10:31:16 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

All I know is this: If the Vikings give up both draft picks and a future to move up to #4 to select McCarthy, it could end up going down as the dumbest move since trading for Herschel Walker.

The only way he is there is if the Giants pass on him and neither of the QB desperate teams immediately behind us jump up to 9 or 10 to take him. I find that scenario to be highly unlikely.

I'm pretty sure the giants will pass on him at 6 assuming we don't trade up for him. I wouldn't mind a slight trade up from 11 to 8 to lock him up. I do like him a tiny bit more than Nix.

I've advocated a trade up to the Falcons in the past if McCarthy slides past the Giants.

Take a look at my edited post that you quoted pre edit. Nix will be better than McCarthy for at least the next two years, but I can see McCarthy catching and passing Nix in year 3. That is why big picture I prefer McCarthy. Payton is more desperate to win now and that is why I believe he prefers Nix.

It's 2024. Quarterbacks rarely get three years to prove themselves. The days of sitting on a bench for a year are long gone.

I expect McCarthy to start midseason this year. He will be OK, but Nix will be better this year and next.

I think Nix is the epitome of already as good as he will ever be. He will be immediately exposed when he doesn't have the luxury of throwing 65% of his passes within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage in the NFL.

This will age very, very badly.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1511
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/25/2024 10:31:19 AM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

That's what I'm seeing more than anything. He is what he is. Limited arm, limited processing, Accuracy falls off significantly down the field. Ceiling may be mid-tier starter. But his Floor may be high end #2. Probably low bust potential.

He's probably the guy that will tumble in the draft.
Post #: 1512
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/25/2024 10:32:19 AM   
Todd M

Yeah, let’s trade down from 23 for a pick or 2 right after we traded two 2’s to get it. Brilliant.
Post #: 1513
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/25/2024 10:35:31 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

That's what I'm seeing more than anything. He is what he is. Limited arm, limited processing, Accuracy falls off significantly down the field. Ceiling may be mid-tier starter. But his Floor may be high end #2. Probably low bust potential.

He's probably the guy that will tumble in the draft.

Strong arm. good processing, excellent accuracy to all 3 levels. Excellent athlete that can pull plays out of his ass when things break down. Most likely gone pick 12 or earlier.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 4/25/2024 10:40:09 AM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1514
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/25/2024 10:36:42 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

Yeah, let’s trade down from 23 for a pick or 2 right after we traded two 2’s to get it. Brilliant.

Absolutely. Use the pick at 23 this year. The drop off from the 1st round to 2nd round talents is going to be HUGE.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 4/25/2024 10:39:09 AM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1515
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/25/2024 10:52:19 AM   
Chris Olson

The draft will be a success this year if...

I'm feeling success looks like not trading away this and future drafts, and taking what comes to us tonight
Post #: 1516
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/25/2024 10:56:16 AM   
Chris Olson

Re: trading Jefferson

The dream for me would be getting our QB in top 3 plus another pick (next years 2nd would work for me) for Jefferson, while keeping 11 and 23...

Love the idea of coming away from round 1 with Daniels or Maye, Byron Murphy, and Brian Thomas

Love the idea of not paying $30 million to a diva WR, no matter how dangerous
Post #: 1517
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/25/2024 11:02:38 AM   
kevinemmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dave Odle

I keep hearing rumblings of a blockbuster trade scenario tonight involving JJ. I'm not opposed to it either. It could net a top 5 pick and possibly a 2nd at best and 3rd at worst. I am not a huge fan of paying franchise QB money for a WR, no matter who it is. Three 1st rounders would be incredible. Talk about room to maneuver between picking up a QBOTF/stud defensive players/trade down for next year's draft picks. Hitting on QBOTF is the most important thing. The Chiefs showed that you can lose a stud WR (Tyreek Hill) and be okay if you have an elite QB.

Agreed,

Would the Pats do JJ for #3?
He is expensive but a proven top-shelf NFL Receiver...
Probably need to sweeten with O'Neill, haha, another expensive, proven player

Or sweeten with next year's #1 or #2 pick, keep 11 and 23
Post #: 1518
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/25/2024 11:02:47 AM   
David Levine

ESPN. Yates final Mock:

Projected trade: Minnesota can't wait any longer
Vikings get: No. 8
Falcons get: No. 11, No. 129 and a 2025 third-rounder

This is a smaller move up the board than we've discussed frequently during the pre-draft process -- Minnesota jumping into the Nos. 3-5 range -- but the Vikings can slide up just three spots at a much less prohibitive cost to snag a quarterback here based on the way the board is coming together.

8. Minnesota Vikings (via mock trade with ATL)
J.J. McCarthy, QB, Michigan

McCarthy would be in an excellent situation with Minnesota's supporting cast, and the Vikings would also preserve their No. 23 pick by moving to only No. 8 to get him. McCarthy has the high-end accuracy to get the ball to Justin Jefferson and Jordan Addison, as well as the mobility to pick up yards on the ground. And I know Minnesota has Sam Darnold, but I believe McCarthy would start right away.

23. Minnesota Vikings (via CLE/HOU)
Laiatu Latu, EDGE, UCLA

Latu would join Jonathan Greenard for Minnesota's new-look pass rush on defense. He had the best tape of any defensive player in the class and can become a double-digit sack artist in the NFL. After all, he had 23.5 of them over the past two seasons at UCLA. Medical concerns over a prior neck injury (while at Washington in 2020) would be the only reason he slides to this slot.

-----------

He has Byron Murphy going 11, Penix 13 and Nix 19 to the Rams.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2024/insider/story/_/id/40006988/2024-nfl-mock-draft-field-yates-first-round-32-picks-final-predictions

< Message edited by David Levine -- 4/25/2024 11:06:48 AM >
Post #: 1519
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/25/2024 11:05:18 AM   
kevinemmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris Olson

Re: trading Jefferson

The dream for me would be getting our QB in top 3 plus another pick (next years 2nd would work for me) for Jefferson, while keeping 11 and 23...

Love the idea of coming away from round 1 with Daniels or Maye, Byron Murphy, and Brian Thomas

Love the idea of not paying $30 million to a diva WR, no matter how dangerous

Getting the #3 and more for JJ is a pipe dream, imo.
He is looking for record setting $$
Post #: 1520
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/25/2024 11:05:42 AM   
David Levine

2024 NFL draft: Mel Kiper's Round 1 predictions, buzz, notes

Michael Penix Jr. won't fall past No. 13: The Washington quarterback is liked by several teams with picks in the teens, but I don't think he'll last past the Raiders at No. 13. That's a little rich for my tastes -- he finished No. 24 on my Big Board -- but there are several teams looking for their quarterback of the future in this class, and his accuracy, experience and moxie make him appealing.

This draft will break the record for most offensive players selected in Round 1: There have been 19 offensive players taken in the top 32 picks three times -- 1968, 2004 and 2009. We might see 21 this year, and we'll definitely get 20. In fact, one of the final guys might be quarterback Bo Nix (Oregon), who would be the sixth QB in Round 1, which would tie the record from 1983. We know teams value the fifth-year option for players, and it's given only to first-rounders. I could see a team trading into get Nix late in the first round.

Minnesota Vikings: This is the team to watch to get into the top 10 for a quarterback, most likely J.J. McCarthy (Michigan). But I don't think the Vikings necessarily have to move into the top five. They might be able to move up only a few spots -- maybe in a trade with the Falcons at No. 8? -- to get McCarthy. Minnesota owns Nos. 11 and 23 in Round 1, thanks to its trade last month with the Texans.

Los Angeles Rams: I'm not sure anyone really knows what GM Les Snead will do; the Rams haven't picked in Round 1 since 2016. But I do know they at least have some interest in Nix, and it wouldn't be totally shocking if they picked him at No. 19 -- or moved down a few spots to take him. I also see defensive tackle, cornerback and offensive line as possibilities, so it's not like the Rams are loaded with depth in other positions.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2024/insider/story/_/id/40018136/2024-nfl-draft-mel-kiper-round-1-predictions-buzz-notes-qbs-trades
Post #: 1521
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/25/2024 11:06:30 AM   
David Levine

Nix to the Rams at 19 (or lower seems) to be gaining a lot of steam.

Seems more likely than to Denver at 12.
Post #: 1522
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/25/2024 11:10:54 AM  1 votes
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

OK

So

Everybody makes a mistake once in a while. Everybody. We had him here for 6 years. If you want to hang your hat on 2 plays be my guest. Also many times passes thrown short of the sticks get converted into first downs. Players can do a thing called yards after catch.

Oh, Yeah, He was great except for JUST THOSE TWO PLAYS.

Post #: 1523
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/25/2024 11:11:00 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris Olson

The draft will be a success this year if...

I'm feeling success looks like not trading away this and future drafts, and taking what comes to us tonight

absolutely.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1524
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/25/2024 11:14:30 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

ESPN. Yates final Mock:

Projected trade: Minnesota can't wait any longer
Vikings get: No. 8
Falcons get: No. 11, No. 129 and a 2025 third-rounder

This is a smaller move up the board than we've discussed frequently during the pre-draft process -- Minnesota jumping into the Nos. 3-5 range -- but the Vikings can slide up just three spots at a much less prohibitive cost to snag a quarterback here based on the way the board is coming together.

8. Minnesota Vikings (via mock trade with ATL)
J.J. McCarthy, QB, Michigan

McCarthy would be in an excellent situation with Minnesota's supporting cast, and the Vikings would also preserve their No. 23 pick by moving to only No. 8 to get him. McCarthy has the high-end accuracy to get the ball to Justin Jefferson and Jordan Addison, as well as the mobility to pick up yards on the ground. And I know Minnesota has Sam Darnold, but I believe McCarthy would start right away.

23. Minnesota Vikings (via CLE/HOU)
Laiatu Latu, EDGE, UCLA

Latu would join Jonathan Greenard for Minnesota's new-look pass rush on defense. He had the best tape of any defensive player in the class and can become a double-digit sack artist in the NFL. After all, he had 23.5 of them over the past two seasons at UCLA. Medical concerns over a prior neck injury (while at Washington in 2020) would be the only reason he slides to this slot.

-----------

He has Byron Murphy going 11, Penix 13 and Nix 19 to the Rams.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2024/insider/story/_/id/40006988/2024-nfl-mock-draft-field-yates-first-round-32-picks-final-predictions

Check out my mock posted earlier in the predictions thread. I had us trading to 8 for McCarthy and taking Latu at 23. I think Latu at 23 is probably wishful thinking, but it's a very Kwesi move to ignore his injury risk. I never knew Yates was so smart.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1525
Page:   <<   < prev  59 60 [61] 62 63   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2024 Draft Page: <<   < prev  59 60 [61] 62 63   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode