Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: timz
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/11/2024 5:27:51 PM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

Alright, so with the FA signings we now need the following starting positions:

QB
LG
WR3
DE
DE (Lowry stays?)

CB really needs an upgrade.

Reisner can't be that expensive and he was 'ok'. We don't have unlimited funds
Draft a guy in the later rounds and resign Powell
How's Wonnum progressing? He wasn't a world beater but he wasn't terrible. If we decide to bridge it for the year you could trade back a bit and still get a good prospect
CB is a real question mark for sure.
Post #: 26
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/11/2024 6:40:36 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

quote:

Alright, so with the FA signings we now need the following starting positions:

QB
LG
WR3
DE
DE (Lowry stays?)

CB really needs an upgrade.

Reisner can't be that expensive and he was 'ok'. We don't have unlimited funds
Draft a guy in the later rounds and resign Powell
How's Wonnum progressing? He wasn't a world beater but he wasn't terrible. If we decide to bridge it for the year you could trade back a bit and still get a good prospect
CB is a real question mark for sure.

Wonnum and Powell were good for their roles. May be time for Carter to step up as a backup, along with Jones on the other side.

Edge/LB looks almost set... it's the DL that needs work.
Post #: 27
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/11/2024 6:45:21 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Just based on positional value, draft QB, CB. But we need a good G to help cover for Bradbury.

Maybe Flores will have another year where the DL doesn't play much.
Post #: 28
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/11/2024 8:17:04 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

Hmm, I don't mind that Cousins is gone. Pretty neutral on that. But I'd be careful to break out the champagne until the whole thing plays out and we see how the QB saga ends, not to mention how it will affect JJ's status.

The wheel's still in spin.

Couldn't disagree more. It has played out. Its done.

The whole Spielman Zimmer Cousins chapter has now been exorcized.

Time for Kwesi and Kevin to truly sink or swim.

No matter how well Cousins played in stretches over the six years of opulence he spent here ... we did not get close to a fair return on our investment, period. (Well ... he came pretty close in 2021 ... but then he ended it with his worse moment as a Viking).

How will it affect JJ? What we lose in Cousins live arm we can make up with someone less robotic and mechanical in the passing game. Put someone back there with some athleticism who can extend plays and make it even more impossible to cover JJ and he will be thrilled.

< Message edited by Tom Sykes -- 3/11/2024 8:18:31 PM >
Post #: 29
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/11/2024 8:35:25 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

Hmm, I don't mind that Cousins is gone. Pretty neutral on that. But I'd be careful to break out the champagne until the whole thing plays out and we see how the QB saga ends, not to mention how it will affect JJ's status.

No matter how well Cousins played in stretches over the six years of opulence he spent here ... we did not get close to a fair return on our investment, period. (Well ... he came pretty close in 2021 ... but then he ended it with his worse moment as a Viking).

How will it affect JJ? What we lose in Cousins live arm we can make up with someone less robotic and mechanical in the passing game. Put someone back there with some athleticism who can extend plays and make it even more impossible to cover JJ and he will be thrilled.

JJ has one foot out the door already.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 30
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/11/2024 8:49:11 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

quote:

Ironically, JJ's one of the reasons your boy is actually out the door.

They made the decision last year to work on keeping JJ and expose Cousins to FA.

Made no sense to anyone with sense to keep both.

EDIT: over the top. nm.

< Message edited by Tom Sykes -- 3/11/2024 9:11:54 PM >
Post #: 31
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/11/2024 9:18:31 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

How do you figure?

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 32
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/11/2024 9:19:17 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

They made the decision last year to work on keeping JJ and expose Cousins to FA.

As long as JJ gets his money and his numbers, he's going to be fine.

6/141/1
12/192/1

Games 15 and 17 with Nick Mullens throwing to him....
Post #: 33
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/11/2024 9:27:58 PM   
Phil Riewer

Pretty big money to Brandel and Quessberry resigned. O Neil or Darrisaw being traded? Maybe no Risner.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 3/11/2024 9:36:18 PM >

Post #: 34
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/11/2024 9:53:24 PM   
David Levine

Big money?

Brandle got 3/9.5 with 4.75 guaranteed. Could reach 11M.

Quessenbery got 1 year for less than 2M.

That’s backup money. And not high end backup.
Post #: 35
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/11/2024 10:40:37 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

Big money?

Brandle got 3/9.5 with 4.75 guaranteed. Could reach 11M.

Quessenbery got 1 year for less than 2M.

That’s backup money. And not high end backup.

Only so much to go around. Risner money at the very least

Post #: 36
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/11/2024 10:42:17 PM   
Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

quote:

I don't think anyone is expecting champagne at QB, but a new direction.

JJ just needs his yards and he's happy. Even Mullens showed he could get JJ the ball.

That's the key. TDs? Who needs them? Winning the game? Secondary. Those things are for peasants!
Post #: 37
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/12/2024 1:33:50 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

How do you figure?

He's not going to want his future in the hands of Darnold or some rookie is my reasoning

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 38
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/12/2024 1:36:49 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I think Kirk is a good QB, but he's far from being my boy. I only wanted to sign him at $35million a year or less.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 39
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/12/2024 1:39:31 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

quote:

I don't think anyone is expecting champagne at QB, but a new direction.

JJ just needs his yards and he's happy. Even Mullens showed he could get JJ the ball.

That's the key. TDs? Who needs them? Winning the game? Secondary. Those things are for peasants!

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 40
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/12/2024 1:43:09 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

6/141/1
12/192/1

Did we win those games? IIRC we didn't. JJ might like winning along with his numbers and money 💰.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 41
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/12/2024 2:38:39 AM   
marty

JJ was happy with Kirk, so mustn't value winning as much as getting a lot of yardage.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 42
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/12/2024 2:43:38 AM   
ratoppenheimer

'Darnold gets a 1-year deal worth $10M, sources say, and joins former teammate Josh McCown, who is Minnesota’s new QB coach. Kirk Cousins out, Darnold in.'....vikingsterritory

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 43
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/12/2024 6:02:56 AM   
marty

I think I would rather have McCown starting.

At least this gives the Vikings a shot at the #1 pick in the 2025 draft.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 44
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/12/2024 7:35:09 AM   
Chris Olson

pretty clear the Darnold signing is for a bridge guy...

and I bet they are expecting the 1st rd QB will be starting anyway...

or starting after a few games, like Richardson did last year

just glad we finally cut ties with Kirk, everything looks rosy because of that albatross being cut free
Post #: 45
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/12/2024 7:53:24 AM   
Brad H

Ding dong the witch is dead.

I am not opposed to drafting two quarterbacks. One in the first or second and another later in the draft.

Unfortunately, this draft looks like a Spielman hangover. 1st round, 2nd round, two 4th's, two 5th's, two 6th's and a 7th. Dare I say the last 5-6 picks are totally irrelevant. They better do most of their scoring in free agency.

For now, I'm just going to bask in the glow of the most overpaid quarterback in league history being on a different team. I knew there had to be another sucker out there for Cousins. Boom, the Falcons! A perfect lollipop organization that has no idea what a great quarterback looks like. They probably would have been one of my top guesses.

The worst part about the Cousins deal is that the Republicans just got two more votes in Georgia, in what is a very close state.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 3/12/2024 8:11:37 AM >

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 46
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/12/2024 8:52:12 AM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

Ding dong the witch is dead.

I am not opposed to drafting two quarterbacks. One in the first or second and another later in the draft.

Unfortunately, this draft looks like a Spielman hangover. 1st round, 2nd round, two 4th's, two 5th's, two 6th's and a 7th. Dare I say the last 5-6 picks are totally irrelevant. They better do most of their scoring in free agency.

For now, I'm just going to bask in the glow of the most overpaid quarterback in league history being on a different team. I knew there had to be another sucker out there for Cousins. Boom, the Falcons! A perfect lollipop organization that has no idea what a great quarterback looks like. They probably would have been one of my top guesses.

The worst part about the Cousins deal is that the Republicans just got two more votes in Georgia, in what is a very close state.

I think the Cousins' permanent residence is in Michigan.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 47
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/12/2024 9:11:14 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

6/141/1
12/192/1

Did we win those games? IIRC we didn't. JJ might like winning along with his numbers and money 💰.

Kirk is a lot of things but not a winner. In terms of win-loss.

I’m sure you use a different criteria for winning as one of his biggest fans - your words last week, not mine.

So yes, he’s your boy. Uhhh … was.
Post #: 48
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/12/2024 9:57:20 AM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris Olson

just glad we finally cut ties with Kirk, everything looks rosy because of that albatross being cut free

I’m not so sure of that.

I don’t think it’s a given they draft a high pick QB. It would certainly be the conventional wisdom that they do. Darnold a bridge to QBOTF. And that may be plan A. But what if things don’t go their way in the draft? You cannot afford to ‘settle’. You need a very strong plan B C and D. Plans that don’t assume you HAVE to draft a QB if you fail to get your guy.

KAM is a third year GM whose team regressed last year, and whose drafts have been mostly mediocre. If the Vikings don’t return to the playoffs immediately his job is on very shaky ground. Loading up on blue chip defensive toys for Flores’ defense while saving money with a game manager QB may be a path to sneak back into the playoffs and buy him another year to think about acquiring the QBOF.
Post #: 49
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/12/2024 10:14:52 AM   
Murph

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris Olson

I’m not so sure of that.

I don’t think it’s a given they draft a high pick QB. It would certainly be the conventional wisdom that they do. Darnold a bridge to QBOTF. And that may be plan A. But what if things don’t go their way in the draft? You cannot afford to ‘settle’. You need a very strong plan B C and D. Plans that don’t assume you HAVE to draft a QB if you fail to get your guy.

KAM is a third year GM whose team regressed last year, and whose drafts have been mostly mediocre. If the Vikings don’t return to the playoffs immediately his job is on very shaky ground. Loading up on blue chip defensive toys for Flores’ defense while saving money with a game manager QB may be a path to sneak back into the playoffs and buy him another year to think about acquiring the QBOF.

Imho, There's zero chance Kwesi and KOC put their future in Darnold's hands.

We're drafting a QB high THIS year. With the depth of this year's QB class and the need it would be negligence if they didn't address it considering where their picking.

Hey Wilf's, let's build a "Perennial Super Bowl contender" not a "perennial playoff contender".
Post #: 50
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode