Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  27 28 [29] 30 31   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/2/2024 3:41:50 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

Maybe you don't remember the conversation but before the JJ, Harry, etc. there was plenty of cap space to make moves. Void years gave them more cap.....so be it.

Splash moves? They got younger guys that are better at pass defense.....it just doesn't fit your negative narrative. This all was posted by PFF in regards Van Ginkel, Cashman, and Greenard. They are all liars too I guess because they don't agree with you.

Void year money robs the team of options for when they (hopefully) need to make a push. Some void year money is ok and a part of the NFL.

You and Mark were the ones drumming up all the splash moves on the horizon. Didn't happen.

Whether any of the FAs pan out remains to be seen, regardless of PFF.

See the words above? REMAINS TO BE SEEN.

REMAINS TO BE SEEN.

Won't stop you twisting that around like you normally do.
Post #: 701
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/2/2024 3:44:50 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen
quote:

Maybe you don't remember the conversation but before the JJ, Harry, etc. there was plenty of cap space to make moves. Void years gave them more cap.....so be it.
Splash moves? They got younger guys that are better at pass defense.....it just doesn't fit your negative narrative. This all was posted by PFF in regards Van Ginkel, Cashman, and Greenard. They are all liars too I guess because they don't agree with you.

Void year money robs the team of options for when they (hopefully) need to make a push. Some void year money is ok and a part of the NFL.
You and Mark were the ones drumming up all the splash moves on the horizon. Didn't happen.
REMAINS TO BE SEEN.

Who said splash moves? I liked those 3 moves in particular because according to PFF all three improve the pass defense and can rush the passer. In addition each was at least 2-3 years younger.

Hicks, Wonnum, and Hunters biggest weakness was what according to PFF?

Griffen, Darnold, Jones, Tillery, Backup DE from the Giants, etc. are on 1 year contracts.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 5/2/2024 3:49:34 PM >

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 702
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/2/2024 3:56:22 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

REMAINS TO BE SEEN.

Who said splash moves? I liked those 3 moves in particular because according to PFF all three improve the pass defense and can rush the passer. In addition each was at least 2-3 years younger.

Griffen, Darnold, Jones, Tillery, Backup DE from the Giants, etc. are on 1 year contracts.

Come on, you and Mark expected a couple of splash moves. Names.

It didn't happen because it couldn't happen (barring more cap smoke and mirrors).

We are as you say at $17 million but the rookies have to be paid and several million is needed for in-season stuff. So say $7.4 + 4 for that.

Whoo hoo, we might be left with $6 million. Splash away!
Post #: 703
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/2/2024 4:07:17 PM   
Bill Johanesen

I have repeatedly advocated rolling cap over, year to year, to have a surplus rather than a deficit for when we go to set the table for a run.

Phil's take today is "Void years gave them more cap......so be it." Obviously, he takes the opposite approach to cap management. He'd rather spend while we are expected to be the (?) NFCN cellar dweller. And he's ok with spending the cap on rentals as he just said and seems to be ok with "Griffen, Darnold, Jones, Tillery, Backup DE from the Giants, etc. are on 1 year contracts."

IOW, spend away during times when the team is NOT realistically competing in order to have less money for signing our own and acquiring new FAs when we are getting ready to compete! Brilliant (in his world).
Post #: 704
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/2/2024 4:11:49 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Weird Phil says guys like Arnold and Jones are on one year contracts as if that's a good thing while neglecting to say half their salaries are stashed in void years! Whoops! Well, it should be a whoops.
Post #: 705
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/2/2024 4:50:51 PM   
DavidAOlson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

I would say this about our edge players this year to last year.

We took 4-3 DEs (Hunter and Jones) and asked them to be 3-4 edges. These guys on occasion had to drop into coverage. They looked lost.

The guys we have now are 3-4 edge guys. I expect an overall improvement in this area. Especially with better depth.

Yup. That switch to a 3-4 also fits with the smaller number of DTs in camp. They just don't have the classic monster 3-4 NT.

I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it. --- Alice
Post #: 706
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/2/2024 5:03:29 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

REMAINS TO BE SEEN.

It didn't happen because it couldn't happen (barring more cap smoke and mirrors).

We are as you say at $17 million but the rookies have to be paid and several million is needed for in-season stuff. So say $7.4 + 4 for that.

We never said Splash moves. You said there was no money for Free Agency....own it. Goal Posts moving for sure if not lying about what was said.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 5/2/2024 5:05:05 PM >

Post #: 707
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/2/2024 5:06:23 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: DavidAOlson

quote:

I would say this about our edge players this year to last year.

We took 4-3 DEs (Hunter and Jones) and asked them to be 3-4 edges. These guys on occasion had to drop into coverage. They looked lost.

The guys we have now are 3-4 edge guys. I expect an overall improvement in this area. Especially with better depth.

Yup. That switch to a 3-4 also fits with the smaller number of DTs in camp. They just don't have the classic monster 3-4 NT.

Yep, still no big NT. At DE they have Tillery who at least looks the part of the classic Richard Seymour. Dudes a giant.

The main defensive FAs all have injury concerns. Don't know the status of Van Ginkel (foot). Hopefully the Edge guys pan out, which would IMO be the strength of the defense.

Going with what Nick Saban said about defensive positions/priorities:
1. Edge
2. CB
3. DL - from the disruptor angle.
Post #: 708
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/2/2024 5:07:10 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

Weird Phil says guys like Arnold and Jones are on one year contracts as if that's a good thing while neglecting to say half their salaries are stashed in void years! Whoops! Well, it should be a whoops.

With Void years they have 17 million left on this years cap.......the cap guy evened out some of 25 and 26 when there is more money. Extra cap if not used in 2024 gets added to 2025. Yes so be it.

Post #: 709
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/2/2024 5:08:59 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

REMAINS TO BE SEEN.

We never said Splash moves. You said there was no money for Free Agency....own it. Goal Posts moving for sure if not lying about what was said.

BS, I said there was no money for the splash moves that were being advocated. I said there was no money for much w/o Kwesi going with his smoke and mirrors. You even just said the void years gave them more cap! So FUATHYRIO.
Post #: 710
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/2/2024 5:16:11 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

REMAINS TO BE SEEN.

BS, I said there was no money for the splash moves that were being advocated. I said there was no money for much w/o Kwesi going with his smoke and mirrors. You even just said the void years gave them more cap! So FUATHYRIO.

Never seen a guy who struggles with the truth so much call everyone else a liar. If it helps you sleep at night so be it.

Post #: 711
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/2/2024 5:17:08 PM   
Bill Johanesen

And I repeatedly said we are about $50+ million short of what we could have had, thanks to RS... and KAM extending Cousins.

Of course we had cap, we were not in a deficit. We just didn't do what you thought we could. What was your post the day of the FA signings? ~ $120 million spent; no cap. And yet you had/have no idea on how that was structured. Face it, you've drifted along with the slime you spread.

Next up: when 1 or more FAs get hurt, you'll use that as an excuse to build up the regime and some dumb-ass ranking. That got some chuckles last time I posted it.
Post #: 712
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/2/2024 5:19:47 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

With Void years they have 17 million left on this years cap.......the cap guy evened out some of 25 and 26 when there is more money. Extra cap if not used in 2024 gets added to 2025. Yes so be it.

"Left"? So what? Minus rookie money and in-season money.

The "cap guy"... "evened out some money" LOL!
Post #: 713
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/2/2024 5:20:31 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

REMAINS TO BE SEEN.

Never seen a guy who struggles with the truth so much call everyone else a liar. If it helps you sleep at night so be it.

No, I call YOU a liar because you are. Nobody else. Just you. Own it, be proud. It's you.
Post #: 714
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/2/2024 5:24:08 PM   
Bill Johanesen

$17 million cap left. LOL.

An analogy in Phil's world:

He has $1000 (yeah a low total). He still has to pay rent (it's ok to rent), food, insurance (maybe), and a lot more out of that.

But, when challenged he says he has $1000 left.

Then he gets some advances from next year cause he can't afford to pay responsibly.

He believes that he merely "evened out the money".

WW!

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 5/2/2024 5:28:27 PM >
Post #: 715
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/2/2024 5:46:45 PM   
Bill Johanesen

I went back and did find a post where I said we won't sign any FA of substance (in my book, splash/substance/top tier are FAs signing for $20+ million). It's debatable but basically Greenard fits into that category. Where there is one emphatic statement like that there are probably more so I stand corrected. Although that was predicated on Kwesi spending responsibly, which he kind of didn't. He wasn't over the top but he wasn't getting ahead of future cap layouts either.

Just a side note, I went back further but ran into Phil advocating trading for Trey Lance or Justin Fields AND picking up their 5th year option and got sidetracked lol:

If Chicago is willing to trade Fields for a middle round pick I would be in.

4 million this year and if we want to guarantee his fifth it is 25 million....

I would do it.
Post #: 716
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/2/2024 6:14:05 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

REMAINS TO BE SEEN.

I said it.

We did try to get Wilkins. Supposedly the front runners at one point(guessing north of 20M). Raiders swooped in with 27.5M per year and got him.

We did look in to trading for Snead. It got to 19M per plus some injury history and we dropped out.

I'm guessing after Wilkins fell through we turned to Greenard. 18M per is still a splash move, right??
Post #: 717
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/2/2024 6:17:23 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

He has $1000 (yeah a low total). He still has to pay rent (it's ok to rent), food, insurance (maybe), and a lot more out of that.

Then he gets some advances from next year cause he can't afford to pay responsibly.

WW!

According to Dustin Baker, we have 70-80M cap space for 2025. Void years and all.

I get going after people if they are saying we are guaranteed SB contenders. That is unrealistic.

But, it seems if anyone says anything positive about the Vikings and their moves, you swoop in to put a stop to it.
Post #: 718
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/2/2024 6:29:14 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

REMAINS TO BE SEEN.

I said it.

We did try to get Wilkins. Supposedly the front runners at one point(guessing north of 20M). Raiders swooped in with 27.5M per year and got him.

We did look in to trading for Snead. It got to 19M per plus some injury history and we dropped out.

I'm guessing after Wilkins fell through we turned to Greenard. 18M per is still a splash move, right??

Splashy enough!
Post #: 719
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/2/2024 6:36:14 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

WW!

According to Dustin Baker, we have 70-80M cap space for 2025. Void years and all.

I get going after people if they are saying we are guaranteed SB contenders. That is unrealistic.

But, it seems if anyone says anything positive about the Vikings and their moves, you swoop in to put a stop to it.

Current space for 2025 means nothing. OverTheCap shows we only have 30 players under contract for 2025 plus 4 with void years. And for 2026 we have a whopping $183 million... with just 17 contracts, 10 real and 7 void.

You may think I swoop in. But it's (or also) the reverse. I post actual quotes from Jefferson. Actual stats from high leverage games. And people like you swoop in... most recently recategorizing and reassigning the label of Jefferson as a "choking loser".

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 5/2/2024 6:41:32 PM >
Post #: 720
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/2/2024 6:45:14 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

WW!

Current space for 2025 means nothing. OverTheCap shows we only have 30 players under contract for 2025 plus 4 with void years. And for 2026 we have a whopping $183 million... with just 17 contracts, 10 real and 7 void.

You may think I swoop in. But it's (or also) the reverse. I post actual quotes from Jefferson. Actual stats from high leverage games. And people like you swoop in... most recently recategorizing and reassigning the label of Jefferson as a "choking loser".

Okay. It wasn't in the middle. I was wrong. It was closer to Danno description than yours.

Anyway, I looked up Spotrac. 58 players signed in 2025 and about 70-75M in cap space.

< Message edited by Mark Anderson -- 5/2/2024 6:46:58 PM >
Post #: 721
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/2/2024 6:53:14 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

WW!

Okay. It wasn't in the middle. I was wrong. It was closer to Danno description than yours.

Anyway, I looked up Spotrac. 58 players signed in 2025 and about 70-75M in cap space.

Which includes all the draft picks and all the UDFAs.
Post #: 722
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/2/2024 7:34:59 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

WW!

Yes. So I figure that probably 8 of those don't make 53 or practice squad.

So probably closer to 50 signed for 2025.
Post #: 723
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/2/2024 8:07:54 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

WW!

Yes. So I figure that probably 8 of those don't make 53 or practice squad.

So probably closer to 50 signed for 2025.

IOW, 16 of the 24 in the two groupings make it. That's a lot of minimum wagers, but is neither here not there. They are not relevant towards the cap. Most won't be on the 53 man roster or count when the 2025 season starts. They will be replaced by more expensive players making the current 70 million in cap meaningless.

I exclude late rounders, UDFAs, and PS types when looking at the cap, especially in a future season. The ones that make it will count about a million each towards the cap.

Do you think "50 signed" has some real bearing on the current 2025 cap space?
Post #: 724
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/2/2024 8:08:15 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

I went back and did find a post where I said we won't sign any FA of substance (in my book, splash/substance/top tier are FAs signing for $20+ million). It's debatable but basically Greenard fits into that category. Where there is one emphatic statement like that there are probably more so I stand corrected. Although that was predicated on Kwesi spending responsibly, which he kind of didn't. He wasn't over the top but he wasn't getting ahead of future cap layouts either.

Just a side note, I went back further but ran into Phil advocating trading for Trey Lance or Justin Fields AND picking up their 5th year option and got sidetracked lol:

If Chicago is willing to trade Fields for a middle round pick I would be in.

4 million this year and if we want to guarantee his fifth it is 25 million....

I would do it.

Of course I did. Options other than Cousins. A true discussion topic. I am not the one pretending I am always right.

You know bringing something to discuss to the thread

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 5/2/2024 8:17:59 PM >

Post #: 725
Page:   <<   < prev  27 28 [29] 30 31   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  27 28 [29] 30 31   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode