Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/12/2024 10:23:20 AM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris Olson

pretty clear the Darnold signing is for a bridge guy...

and I bet they are expecting the 1st rd QB will be starting anyway...

or starting after a few games, like Richardson did last year

just glad we finally cut ties with Kirk, everything looks rosy because of that albatross being cut free

I’m not so sure of that.

I don’t think it’s a given they draft a high pick QB. It would certainly be the conventional wisdom that they do. Darnold a bridge to QBOTF. And that may be plan A. But what if things don’t go their way in the draft? You cannot afford to ‘settle’. You need a very strong plan B C and D. Plans that don’t assume you HAVE to draft a QB if you fail to get your guy.

KAM is a third year GM whose team regressed last year, and whose drafts have been mostly mediocre. If the Vikings don’t return to the playoffs immediately his job is on very shaky ground. Loading up on blue chip defensive toys for Flores’ defense while saving money with a game manager QB may be a path to sneak back into the playoffs and buy him another year to think about acquiring the QBOF.

I doubt it. Darnold is not a game manager. He’s as much of a turnover machine as Mullens, but at 5x the cost…

66 games (56 starts): 56 INTs, 38 Fumbles.
Post #: 51
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/12/2024 10:26:35 AM   
Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

quote:

just glad we finally cut ties with Kirk, everything looks rosy because of that albatross being cut free

I’m not so sure of that.

I don’t think it’s a given they draft a high pick QB. It would certainly be the conventional wisdom that they do. Darnold a bridge to QBOTF. And that may be plan A. But what if things don’t go their way in the draft? You cannot afford to ‘settle’. You need a very strong plan B C and D. Plans that don’t assume you HAVE to draft a QB if you fail to get your guy.

KAM is a third year GM whose team regressed last year, and whose drafts have been mostly mediocre. If the Vikings don’t return to the playoffs immediately his job is on very shaky ground. Loading up on blue chip defensive toys for Flores’ defense while saving money with a game manager QB may be a path to sneak back into the playoffs and buy him another year to think about acquiring the QBOF.

I doubt it. Darnold is not a game manager. He’s as much of a turnover machine as Mullens, but at 5x the cost…

Thats terrible
Post #: 52
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/12/2024 10:37:18 AM   
Mark C. Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Murph

quote:

quote:

I’m not so sure of that.

Imho, There's zero chance Kwesi and KOC put their future in Darnold's hands.

We're drafting a QB high THIS year. With the depth of this year's QB class and the need it would be negligence if they didn't address it considering where their picking.

I agree. If they fail to draft a QB high this year, then it's Darnold starting and we're looking at maybe having the No. 1 pick next year. Maybe that's the plan, but I kind of doubt it as it's completely unknownable where they'd be picking next year. There are good QB's in this years draft. Let's hope they select the right one!
Post #: 53
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/12/2024 10:40:07 AM   
Chris Olson

I seriously think that there was never a real desire to bring back Kirk.

Kwesi is set on drafting a QB, and I think he'll sell the farm to get the guy he wants...

Darnold is a reasonable back up/bridge QB (the turnovers are scary, but he's been better last couple years)

Hopefully Darnold never has to play and the rookie (Daniels, please) takes the Stroud route to stardom
Post #: 54
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/12/2024 10:41:49 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

I’m not so sure of that.

We're drafting a QB high THIS year. With the depth of this year's QB class and the need it would be negligence if they didn't address it considering where their picking.

I've heard several times that next year's QB class is not as strong – on paper – as this year's class.

That's almost meaningless because nobody knows, its just more draftnik quackery.

But if the millions I pump into my college scouting and personnel department comes up with that conclusion, I am going to be very aggressive this year.

It sure looks like we've been aligning ourselves the last two years to draft somebody significant this year.
Post #: 55
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/12/2024 11:04:25 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

I’m not so sure of that.

I've heard several times that next year's QB class is not as strong – on paper – as this year's class.

That's almost meaningless because nobody knows, its just more draftnik quackery.

But if the millions I pump into my college scouting and personnel department comes up with that conclusion, I am going to be very aggressive this year.

It sure looks like we've been aligning ourselves the last two years to draft somebody significant this year.

1) Chicago Bears (from Carolina) Taking a QB
2) Washington Commanders Taking a QB
3) New England Patriots Taking a QB
4) Arizona Cardinals
5) Los Angeles Chargers
6) New York Giants Wild Card
7) Tennessee Titans
8) Atlanta Falcons
9) Chicago Bears
10) New York Jets Bit of a Wild Card
11) Minnesota Vikings Needs a QB
12) Denver Broncos Needs a QB
13) Las Vegas Raiders
14) New Orleans Saints
15) Indianapolis Colts
16) Seattle Seahawks Needs a QB
Post #: 56
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/12/2024 11:10:55 AM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

quote:

quote:

I’m not so sure of that.

Maybe wishful thinking but it seems Darnold could be coached out of some of those interceptions, where Mullens just has a weird compulsion with making 5-6 idiotic plays a game that cost wins.

But like I said, I have no doubt they WANT to get a high QB this year. But want and reality are sometimes two different things on draft day. You can’t be so locked into one plan that you panic.
Post #: 57
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/12/2024 11:15:46 AM   
Ricky J

quote:

I seriously think that there was never a real desire to bring back Kirk.

Kwesi is set on drafting a QB, and I think he'll sell the farm to get the guy he wants...

Darnold is a reasonable back up/bridge QB (the turnovers are scary, but he's been better last couple years)

Hopefully Darnold never has to play and the rookie (Daniels, please) takes the Stroud route to stardom

Reasonable to think that as fast as he signed with Atl.
Post #: 58
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/12/2024 11:18:11 AM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

quote:

quote:

I’m not so sure of that.

Thats terrible

Mullens is even worse. 20 starts, 31 INTs, 10 fumbles.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 59
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/12/2024 11:22:20 AM   
beo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I’m not so sure of that.

Maybe wishful thinking but it seems Darnold could be coached out of some of those interceptions, where Mullens just has a weird compulsion with making 5-6 idiotic plays a game that cost wins.

But like I said, I have no doubt they WANT to get a high QB this year. But want and reality are sometimes two different things on draft day. You can’t be so locked into one plan that you panic.

Darnold was 4-2 on his last 6 games with the panthers (who were pretty bad).

I think there is about 1% chance he will amount to anything but I can see why the Vikes might think there is something there.

Best case scenario: rookie qb that is so good he starts immediately a la Stroud
Next best: darnold starts but gives way to rookie mid season/next season
Next best: vikes miss out on rookie, darnold is so bad Vikes get #1 pick next year... hello generational qb
Most likely: vikes/rookie/flores play vikes into a 10-7 season, proove they don't have a real qb and don't have draft capital to get one
Post #: 60
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/12/2024 11:27:10 AM   
Bill Johanesen

There are a lot of Falcons fans (or fans from other teams) pointing out Cousins' garbage stats, choking, crazy contract(s), etc. while the new Cousins believers counter with "Na na na na boo boo".
Post #: 61
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/12/2024 11:32:50 AM   
Bill Johanesen

Hilarious to read his new believers say "So-what, it isn't your money" about the contract to impersonalize it (never mind they ignore the wider cap implications) then say "He's a nice guy" as if that personal touch means something
Post #: 62
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/12/2024 11:47:51 AM   
beo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

Hilarious to read his new believers say "So-what, it isn't your money" about the contract to impersonalize it (never mind they ignore the wider cap implications) then say "He's a nice guy" as if that personal touch means something

The advantage the Falcons have is.... their big skill positions are all on rookie contracts: Pitts, London, Robinson

So that balances out the stupid expensive QB.

However, they can probably start booking their early playoff out... I don't see getting past that issue.
Post #: 63
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/12/2024 12:55:26 PM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

There are a lot of Falcons fans (or fans from other teams) pointing out Cousins' garbage stats, choking, crazy contract(s), etc. while the new Cousins believers counter with "Na na na na boo boo".

New city, same Kirk debates. Have fun Atlanta. At least your talk threads won't be boring for a while.
Post #: 64
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/12/2024 1:47:06 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I’m not so sure of that.

1) Chicago Bears (from Carolina) Taking a QB
2) Washington Commanders Taking a QB
3) New England Patriots Taking a QB
4) Arizona Cardinals
5) Los Angeles Chargers
6) New York Giants Wild Card
7) Tennessee Titans
8) Atlanta Falcons
9) Chicago Bears
10) New York Jets Bit of a Wild Card
11) Minnesota Vikings Needs a QB
12) Denver Broncos Needs a QB
13) Las Vegas Raiders
14) New Orleans Saints
15) Indianapolis Colts
16) Seattle Seahawks Needs a QB

The Giants are pretty definite IMO. Not sure why the Cards aren't but they should be.

Chargers, Titans, Falcons, Bears, Jets – even if they aren't 'needs a QB' they are prime destinations for teams behind us trying to jump up in front of us for a QB.

No worries. I'm sure Kwesi and Kevin are giddy about their plan.
Post #: 65
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/12/2024 2:18:18 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I’m not so sure of that.

If you do panic, you end up with Christian Ponder.

Or Troy Williamson

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 66
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/12/2024 2:20:31 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

. Not sure why the Cards aren't but they should be.

Money. They have a SHITLOAD of money committed to Kyler Murray. It was insanely stupid of them to do so, but they did. and now they are handcuffed to that deal for years to come.

They screwed themselves, Unless KM can turn his career around...

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 67
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/12/2024 2:24:02 PM   
Trekgeekscott

And the Dean Lowry era is over in Minnesota!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/vikings-release-veteran-dt-dean-lowry-waive-lb/ar-BB1jLlg3

Post #: 68
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/12/2024 2:40:39 PM   
Todd M

I give Kwesi credit for steering out from Cousins. If he hits on QB he’ll have done well to recover from what he inherited and the mistakes he’s made.
Post #: 69
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/12/2024 3:45:51 PM   
Pauldiercks1

My biggest issue on the GM is not to recognize this situation after Cousins went down. HE should have sold of the veterans and tanked and we would likely be draft right around the fourth position. Now we may need to pay heavily to get the QB we want. Or to make sure we get who we want. If the first 4 QB's are gone and we cannot find a taker to move up for one of them, then I'd rather roll with Darnold and hopefully he throws a ton of interceptions this year.
Post #: 70
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/12/2024 4:02:00 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pauldiercks1

My biggest issue on the GM is not to recognize this situation after Cousins went down. HE should have sold of the veterans and tanked and we would likely be draft right around the fourth position. Now we may need to pay heavily to get the QB we want. Or to make sure we get who we want. If the first 4 QB's are gone and we cannot find a taker to move up for one of them, then I'd rather roll with Darnold and hopefully he throws a ton of interceptions this year.

This looks like we got quite a bit younger yesterday plus I read there aren’t many players left from Zimmer and Spielman.
Hunter was probably the one guy we could have got some picks from.

If you go back to Dobbs first 1.5 games also. We seemed hamstrung until Kirk decided to leave

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 3/12/2024 4:03:15 PM >

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 71
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/12/2024 4:02:39 PM   
joejitsu

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/vikings-release-veteran-dt-dean-lowry-waive-lb/ar-BB1jLlg3

It’s over, but we need to find a big run stuffer along the d line. We have a lot of needs, but not a lot of draft picks to get things done. The idl and iol are very shaky right now. That’s where games are won or lost.
Post #: 72
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/12/2024 4:17:05 PM   
kevinemmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: joejitsu

quote:

It’s over, but we need to find a big run stuffer along the d line. We have a lot of needs, but not a lot of draft picks to get things done. The idl and iol are very shaky right now. That’s where games are won or lost.

YES
We really need a stud Guard and a stud DT.
Also starting CB
Post #: 73
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/12/2024 5:19:10 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: kevinemmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: joejitsu

quote:

YES
We really need a stud Guard and a stud DT.
Also starting CB

The C needs to be replaced, and maybe the RG too.

On D, Phillips is the only starting caliber DL and he is in his last year.

So IOL and most or all of the DL. More cap to work with next year depending on how the new FAs are structured.

Maybe next year go CB in the 1st round like we used to!
Post #: 74
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/12/2024 7:03:46 PM   
Bill Johanesen

So free agency officially begins tomorrow at 3:00 CST and all teams have to be cap compliant. Would expect agents will want their contracts signed pronto.

What's with Harrison Smith? He's been a great Viking, but it's time to usher in the Lewis Cine era.
Post #: 75
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode