Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic:
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/12/2024 11:30:07 PM   
beo

Hunter to the Texans.

"The veteran edge rusher and four-time Pro Bowler has agreed to terms on a two-year, $49 million deal with the Houston Texans, NFL Network Insiders Ian Rapoport and Tom Pelissero reported. Hunter's new contract includes $48 million in guaranteed money, per Rapoport."

A LOT less than I expected.

Also suspect:
1) He was asking for a lot more initially... otherwise i think the Vikes do that
2) Vikes moved on after his initial request
3) He may have not really wanted to come back seeing as previous contracts here were deemed "below market"

Man, wish Hunter/Vikes could have worked that out... oh well. onward.

(Texans gonna have some good pass rush.)

< Message edited by beo -- 3/12/2024 11:31:14 PM >
Post #: 76
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/13/2024 4:42:33 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

Alright, so with the FA signings we now need the following starting positions:

QB
LG
WR3
DE
DE (Lowry stays?)

CB really needs an upgrade.

Looks quite a bit better now but also what restructures are left and what cap is left for FA period. Twitter says we are the highest dead cap so taking the pain in 2024 to clear out by 2025/26

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 77
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/13/2024 7:15:31 AM   
Bill Jandro

I see Wash signed Mariotta to be their bridge/#2 qb. So Howell looks to be available via trade.

To me I'd rather have Howell than Darnold.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 78
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/13/2024 9:15:34 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

I see Wash signed Mariotta to be their bridge/#2 qb. So Howell looks to be available via trade.

Very much. but isn't Darnold's contract at least partially guaranteed?

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 3/13/2024 9:17:03 AM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 79
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/13/2024 9:17:32 AM   
Brad H

quote:

Howell was awful. He regressed badly down the stretch.

I'll take Darnold any day of the week. Sam Darnold is an experienced veteran that has been on awful football teams. This will be the most offensive talent he has ever had around him (as a starter). He'll be fine for a stop-gap. He isn't the future, but neither was Cousins.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 3/13/2024 9:19:04 AM >

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 80
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/13/2024 9:27:51 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

quote:

I'll take Darnold any day of the week. Sam Darnold is an experienced veteran that has been on awful football teams. This will be the most offensive talent he has ever had around him (as a starter). He'll be fine for a stop-gap. He isn't the future, but neither was Cousins.

Vikings possibly win it all last year if Cousins didn't get injured.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 81
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/13/2024 9:28:40 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

Agree on Howell.

I am cautiously optimistic about Darnold.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 82
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/13/2024 9:36:59 AM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

Agree on Howell.

I am totally fine with Darnold for a year....or half year if they draft a QB. We should have started this process four years ago.

Post #: 83
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/13/2024 9:38:19 AM   
marty

Doubtful the Vikings win it all last year if Cousins stayed healthy, the defense showed too many holes against experienced QBs.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 84
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/13/2024 9:40:03 AM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

Doubtful the Vikings win it all last year if Cousins stayed healthy, the defense showed too many holes against experienced QBs.

Cousins was 4-4 when he got hurt. Dobbs was 2-2 (pretty much without Jefferson). Hall was 1-1. Mullens 0-3. Two absolute unknowns that will be out of the league in two years were his equal.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 3/13/2024 9:42:18 AM >

Post #: 85
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/13/2024 9:49:42 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Agree on Howell.

I am totally fine with Darnold for a year....or half year if they draft a QB. We should have started this process four years ago.

I couldn't agree more. I've said it many times. We should be drafting a QB nearly every single year alternating high and low pick. Most important position in sports, gotta keep grabbing them until you find one that is really good, then start drafting his potential replacement.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 86
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/13/2024 9:53:11 AM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Agree on Howell.

I couldn't agree more. I've said it many times. We should be drafting a QB nearly every single year alternating high and low pick. Most important position in sports, gotta keep grabbing them until you find one that is really good, then start drafting his potential replacement.

I would have stopped paying him the day he opted to not get vaccinated, thus putting himself and his political beliefs before the good of the team. The quarterback needs to be a leader. They were paying him to be a leader.

Post #: 87
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/13/2024 9:57:29 AM   
Tom Sykes

Its a good start but just a start. I feel pretty good about the tampering period.

Kwesi’s best move is swallowing the dead money whole. Moving on from Cousins/Hunter (intentionally or not) feels like the welfare of the franchise has been put first … in fron’t of the coaching staff’s and the owner’s focus on sustaining a happy medium.

It feels like we just voted out a repressive regime (we had nothing to do with it) that makes healthcare and food cheap to hide the grim reality of no real happiness.

If we struggle now (in the short term - we’re not a patient group) … at least the struggle will feel like a build or rebuild that doesn’t have a dead end already built into it.

I wish Hunter well and even great success, ‘as long as your interests dont conflict with my interests.’

Cousins … he’s a world class taker … a shark in sanctimonious sheep’s clothing … I wish him well in his personal life but I hope he bites the big one as a Falcon. There are so many more well-deserving people in the world.

< Message edited by Tom Sykes -- 3/13/2024 9:59:19 AM >
Post #: 88
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/13/2024 10:00:23 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Agree on Howell.

I would have stopped paying him the day he opted to not get vaccinated, thus putting himself and his political beliefs before the good of the team. The quarterback needs to be a leader. They were paying him to be a leader.

We are agreeing a lot today.

Post #: 89
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/13/2024 10:07:18 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

QB
LG
WR3
DE
DE (Lowry stays?)

Looks quite a bit better now but also what restructures are left and what cap is left for FA period. Twitter says we are the highest dead cap so taking the pain in 2024 to clear out by 2025/26

That list looks quite a bit better now? I don't know when all the accounting, err smoke & mirror magic, gets done.

And Kwesi didn't ELECT to take the pain now. Because Cousins, Hunter, and Davenport are (will be) gone, NFL rules say we HAVE to eat all the cap from all their void years today at 3:00 CST.
Post #: 90
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/13/2024 10:12:43 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

Its a good start but just a start. I feel pretty good about the tampering period.

Kwesi’s best move is swallowing the dead money whole. Moving on from Cousins/Hunter (intentionally or not) feels like the welfare of the franchise has been put first … in fron’t of the coaching staff’s and the owner’s focus on sustaining a happy medium.

It feels like we just voted out a repressive regime (we had nothing to do with it) that makes healthcare and food cheap to hide the grim reality of no real happiness.

If we struggle now (in the short term - we’re not a patient group) … at least the struggle will feel like a build or rebuild that doesn’t have a dead end already built into it.

I wish Hunter well and even great success, ‘as long as your interests dont conflict with my interests.’

Cousins … he’s a world class taker … a shark in sanctimonious sheep’s clothing … I wish him well in his personal life but I hope he bites the big one as a Falcon. There are so many more well-deserving people in the world.

If that's Kwesi's best move, it's a non-move that happened because the NFL said he had to. Kwesi's M.O would make Visa proud.
Post #: 91
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/13/2024 10:27:07 AM   
David F.

My dream scenario is that the Vikings break the "Cousins Curse" and lose to him in the regular season at some point over the next four years and then go on to win the Super Bowl. That being said, the "Cousins Curse" technically got broken last season with San Fran going to the Super Bowl. That also being said, the "Cousins Curse" was mostly a meaningless thing to begin with. "No team that lost to Kirk Cousins in the regular season has ever gone on to make the Super Bowl." Well gee whiz, when you only beat ten winning teams over the course of six seasons or 14 over the course of 12 seasons (not positive that's the exact number but if not correct it's close) it's hardly surprising that none of your defeated winning teams make the Super Bowl - the eligible sample was tiny. Yeah - that one winning team we beat that year never made the Super Bowl - COUSINS CURSE! Laughable.

All that being said I hope the Vikings break the new curse which was just a moving of the goal posts anyway.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 92
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/13/2024 10:43:24 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

My dream scenario is that the Vikings break the "Cousins Curse" and lose to him in the regular season at some point over the next four years and then go on to win the Super Bowl. That being said, the "Cousins Curse" technically got broken last season with San Fran going to the Super Bowl. That also being said, the "Cousins Curse" was mostly a meaningless thing to begin with. "No team that lost to Kirk Cousins in the regular season has ever gone on to make the Super Bowl." Well gee whiz, when you only beat ten winning teams over the course of six seasons or 14 over the course of 12 seasons (not positive that's the exact number but if not correct it's close) it's hardly surprising that none of your defeated winning teams make the Super Bowl - the eligible sample was tiny. Yeah - that one winning team we beat that year never made the Super Bowl - COUSINS CURSE! Laughable.

All that being said I hope the Vikings break the new curse which was just a moving of the goal posts anyway.

Good point on that, and it shows his futility.

Those scenario-stats are crazy. No kicker who went 14-18 on FGs and ate pasta on Tuesday with his left hand has ever made over 11 XPs in a row. X is the first NBA player to average 28 pts, 3 rbs, and 8.47 assists between his 88th and 97th game while never having the mumps as a kid.
Post #: 93
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/13/2024 11:04:57 AM   
marty

If Kirk was clutch enough to beat you when you had a Super Bowl team, your team isn't going to win the Super Bowl that season.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 94
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/13/2024 11:06:27 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

If that's Kwesi's best move, it's a non-move that happened because the NFL said he had to. Kwesi's M.O would make Visa proud.

Not necessarily. They could have extended both players last year and altered our course this year.

Maybe we simply couldn't meet the extension demands of either player last year. I don't know ... to me, it felt more like we didn't than couldn't.

This offseason it certainly felt like we couldn't.

Whatever formula they have been operating under ... year one and two felt like spreading that medicine out ... our approach this offseason has felt more like a reckoning.

Again, intentional or not.
Post #: 95
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/13/2024 11:14:01 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

Not necessarily. They could have extended both players last year and altered our course this year.

Maybe we simply couldn't meet the extension demands of either player last year. I don't know ... to me, it felt more like we didn't than couldn't.

This offseason it certainly felt like we couldn't.

Whatever formula they have been operating under ... year one and two felt like spreading that medicine out ... our approach this offseason has felt more like a reckoning.

Again, intentional or not.

Well yeah, there was always the option of keeping them.

Didn't vs couldn't, interesting. I think they could have kept them all by creating record-setting void year money. But at some point the league would take notice.

No matter. Bottomline is they have to make way for the next era of big contracts! O'Neill has his. JJ and Darrisaw, come on down!

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 3/13/2024 11:16:07 AM >
Post #: 96
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/13/2024 4:41:08 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

QB
LG
WR3
DE
DE (Lowry stays?)

That list looks quite a bit better now? I don't know when all the accounting, err smoke & mirror magic, gets done.

And Kwesi didn't ELECT to take the pain now. Because Cousins, Hunter, and Davenport are (will be) gone, NFL rules say we HAVE to eat all the cap from all their void years today at 3:00 CST.

Before the draft and later phases of FA- yes. They had more holes than this the last two years late in July

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 97
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/13/2024 4:59:15 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

Cousins was 4-4 when he got hurt. Dobbs was 2-2 (pretty much without Jefferson). Hall was 1-1. Mullens 0-3. Two absolute unknowns that will be out of the league in two years were his equal.

Cousins, Dobbs and Hall had no record. The vikings did. If you think Hall and Dobbs played as well as Cousins you're certifiably insane.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 98
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/13/2024 5:02:00 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

Get back to me after week 4 and we'll see if you feel the same way.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 99
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/13/2024 5:16:30 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

I just watched some highlights of Darnold …

He knows how to go deep..

I think JJ and JA will be able to stretch the field..

His turnovers are an issue, but.. he’s not a gutless money grubbing wannabe..

So I give him a chance to bridge..

How about potential VP nominee, AAron Rogers?

I’d take cousins back first.

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 100
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode