Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  89 90 [91] 92 93   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/25/2024 12:50:23 AM   
beo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

I was hopping for stud production chasing 15 not a boring situational 6

Lots of stuff coming up roses... who knows... maybe he has a monster backend to the season.
It's as optimistic as I've been in a long time.
Post #: 2251
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/25/2024 5:13:53 AM   
Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: beo

quote:

Lots of stuff coming up roses... who knows... maybe he has a monster backend to the season.

And for me it has to be a matter of when is enough enough.

#moremonster
Post #: 2252
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/25/2024 7:49:38 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: beo

quote:

Plus or minus of having depth.....

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 2253
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/25/2024 8:08:26 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

I wouldn't be surprised if he reaches 10 with some hurries and knock downs. I expect him to be an effective disrupter this year and that's pretty good for a 21 year old still filling out.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 2254
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/25/2024 4:11:24 PM   
Mark C. Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: timz

https://www.facebook.com/reel/1198495171230403

Dall-ass may be ready to implode. Well, hope so anyway.

Is there animosity when players like Hurts and Prescott - or anyone not named Mahomes - sign $50-60 million contracts? I mean sure teammates still play to the hilt, but when the chips are down and the bickering starts....

... just blame Mike Zimmer and his drill instructor led defense!

+1
Bill I think the Dallas meltdown has something to do with Lamb's contract and also Cincy's struggles as caused by Chase's contract.....I think both were jealous of JJ's contract.

I was very happy that they got JJ's contract done "early". Avoided all that unnecessary noise of a contract holdout/dispute.
Post #: 2255
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/25/2024 4:17:25 PM   
Mark C. Johnson

quote:

Daniels almost pitches a perfect game while the excuses for Williams keep coming.

I don't think one can take too much from three games when it comes to rookie quarterbacks. Heck, the entire season is a learning experience for them. It's premature to anoint one and condemn the other. I will say that it "may" be a blessing the McCarthy isn't able to play this year. I'm starting to lean toward it's better for a rookie QB to sit and learn than to try and learn as the bullets fly past their head. Having said that, Daniels has looked very, very good so far.
Post #: 2256
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/25/2024 4:40:08 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark C. Johnson

quote:

Daniels almost pitches a perfect game while the excuses for Williams keep coming.

I don't think one can take too much from three games when it comes to rookie quarterbacks. Heck, the entire season is a learning experience for them. It's premature to anoint one and condemn the other. I will say that it "may" be a blessing the McCarthy isn't able to play this year. I'm starting to lean toward it's better for a rookie QB to sit and learn than to try and learn as the bullets fly past their head. Having said that, Daniels has looked very, very good so far.

There’s a humungous difference between not starting your rookie season while you rehab an injury and not starting but practicing and focusing like you may be required to at any moment.

There’s no silver lining in it, its just a shame.
Post #: 2257
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/25/2024 4:42:31 PM   
Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark C. Johnson

quote:

Would JJ be Williams or more Daniels?

Could have been anything and we’ll never know.

I do wish KOC wasn’t so against JJM starting so young that he sat him out with an “injury”.

I’ll protect you, Kevin said, as they spooned.
I know you will, Daddy. The young J…

For more homo-erotica including this story and more, send $12.99US to…

< Message edited by Todd M -- 9/25/2024 4:43:55 PM >
Post #: 2258
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/25/2024 4:47:44 PM   
David Levine

Sam Darnold, Minnesota Vikings

Darnold is playing good ball. Only 27 years old (and younger than Joe Burrow!), Darnold looks like a vet because, well, he is one. During his 59th career start Sunday, he was poised against pressure, able to create outside of structure, regularly found the right reads and delivered the ball accurately.

The natural talent that got Darnold drafted third overall back in 2018 -- his arm and how well he throws from messy platforms -- was on display multiple times against the Texans. He drilled tight windows in the end zone for key scores, but this third-and-long far sideline out route to Justin Jefferson with an offensive lineman in his lap was, to me, the most impressive rep.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1838411933126459449

These three games under coach Kevin O'Connell in Minnesota have been some of the best football we've ever seen Darnold play. The last time we saw him as a starter wasn't too bad, though. He played six games for the Panthers to end the 2022 season. With Ben McAdoo as the offensive coordinator, the Panthers went under center a lot, ran a ton of play-action and gave Sam downfield and intermediate routes to hit on long dropbacks.

That is exactly what Darnold is getting from O'Connell, who is levels better than McAdoo as a playcaller and designer, and who has far more experience in this style of offense than McAdoo did. Look at some of Darnold's production metrics, as well as some descriptors of what the offense is asking of him. He's picking up exactly where he left off in Carolina.

It isn't bad news that O'Connell is getting Darnold to his spots on the court. It's good news! O'Connell is as good as any coordinator in the league at working around a quarterback who isn't, perhaps, at the tippy-top tier of the position. He got the best production of Kirk Cousins' career in his final couple of seasons in Minnesota. He got a month of solid offense out of Joshua Dobbs. Heck, Nick Mullens threw for 400 yards in a game last season. O'Connell is so stinkin' good at just getting a guy open -- whether by formation, motion or route combination -- that so long as he has a willing QB, this offense stays explosive.

The question facing Darnold and the Vikings is whether they can sustain this. It is wicked hard to outscheme every Sunday opponent for a month, for two months, three, four. Almost everyone who does it comes from this offensive tree -- Sean McVay, Kyle Shanahan and Mike McDaniel. O'Connell's offense is far more similar to McVay's than what Shanahan's and McDaniel's have become, and McVay went for the big upgrade at quarterback (Matthew Stafford) to make his life easier. Winning on the chalkboard every week for 20-plus weeks is just too tall of an ask.

The first weak point that opposing defenses will attack? Darnold. Pressure has famously flustered him, and while those longer dropbacks are good for downfield routes putting big stresses on defense, they invite a ton of pressure. Darnold has been pressured on 35.2% of his dropbacks and has taken a sack on 9.1% of his total dropbacks, both of which are above league average. On a small sample, Darnold is holding it together when pressured (ninth in EPA per dropback, 14th in success rate), but his off-target rate is higher than all but five quarterbacks so far this season. Darnold isn't a scrambler, either; he's either going to take a sack or put that ball out there.

This is the rub for Darnold: He has to succeed when O'Connell's machinations fail -- when he's pressured or forced to play outside of structure. And Darnold doesn't need to win on scramble-drill plays or beat free rushers or anything. If he can just continue to avoid turnovers and whittle down on sack numbers, then he'll continue doing his part for the Vikings' offense. We might call this the Jimmy Garoppolo/Brock Purdy dichotomy: Garoppolo was never able to do anything when pressured for Shanahan, while Purdy can do enough. So long as Darnold is more of a Purdy than a Garoppolo, he'll continue to produce.

I called the Vikings pretenders in this space last week and picked against them in my Friday column. Vikings fans raked me over the coals, and Sunday, I ate my crow as Minnesota demolished the Texans at home. I'm still not convinced, though. I've watched a lot of Darnold over the years, and I know that these flashes of quality play are often chased by a few head-scratching weeks. I also watched O'Connell prop up backup quarterbacks for all of last season. It's one of the reasons I had preseason faith in the O'Connell-Darnold pairing and identified O'Connell as a Coach of the Year pick.

I'm one step closer to believing that this will last all season. I've gone from "full-throated doubter" to "suspicious but willing to entertain."

Verdict: Good coaches can win with Darnold. Great coaches can win with Darnold for a while. Time to make your money, KOC.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/41398891/nfl-week-3-lessons-ben-solak-quarterbacks-darnold-fields-dalton-seahawks
Post #: 2259
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/25/2024 4:51:13 PM   
David Levine

4. Minnesota Vikings (3-0)

Last week: 7

Sunday:
Beat Houston Texans 34-7

Surprise: Sam Darnold’s start

He might turn into a pumpkin by Halloween, but for now Darnold leads the NFL in touchdown passes (eight) while throwing only two interceptions. Given up on by the Jets, Panthers and 49ers, Darnold is third in the league in passer rating (117.3) playing for Vikings coach Kevin O’Connell. Darnold’s best passer rating in his first six seasons in the league was 92.6, but he outplayed Houston’s C.J. Stroud on Sunday by a wide margin, throwing four touchdown passes. One note on defense: The Vikings became the third team since 1990 to have at least five sacks in each of their first three games.

Up next: at Green Bay Packers, Sunday, 1 p.m. ET

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5788708/2024/09/24/nfl-power-rankings-week-4-bills-chiefs/
Post #: 2260
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/25/2024 4:56:12 PM   
Todd M

This is sustainable and the schedule lines up favourably.
Post #: 2261
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/25/2024 4:56:12 PM   
David Levine

This was obviously posted before Sam's MRI came back clean.

Vikings, Packers coaches make the NFC North the NFL’s best division: Sando’s Pick Six

The Minnesota Vikings look like the best team in the NFL’s best division, unless Sam Darnold’s MRI says otherwise. There’s a sentence no one saw coming.

We aren’t crowning anybody after Week 3. Former Vikings coach Dennis Green (RIP) would not allow it. But the first three weeks of this season have been a revelation for the NFC North.

The Pick Six column leads by appreciating elite coaching in Minnesota and Green Bay, while counting the reasons why the Chicago Bears have struggled to join the conversation. We aren’t overlooking the Detroit Lions, who still might be the best team in the end. But there’s a lot to sort through here.

1. Week 4 delivers Vikings-Packers at Lambeau Field. Bud Grant and Vince Lombardi will be looking down approvingly.

Before we run through the North team by team, here’s how a former head coach and general manager size up the division, which has seen the Vikings start 3-0 with Darnold and a dominant defense, while the Packers have won two straight with backup quarterback Malik Willis filling in for Jordan Love.

Head coach: “Right now, it is Minnesota first, then Detroit/Green Bay, then Chicago. You know why I put Minnesota at the top? The defense.”

GM: “I would rank them by the head-coaching jobs. I think Kevin O’Connell has done the best job. Matt LaFleur is second. He has done great with Malik Willis, who I don’t think can play. Dan Campbell, pretty good win at Arizona, where I thought they might lose. I think Chicago is in trouble. That coach (Matt Eberflus) is embattled. I don’t blame the quarterback (Caleb Williams) at all. He is running for his life, just like he was at USC last year.”

• Vikings: This time last season, the Vikings were coming off a loss in which the opposing quarterback, Justin Herbert, completed 40 of 47 passes for 405 yards and three touchdowns. That doesn’t seem possible, the way this Brian Flores-coordinated defense is playing now.

This is the Vikings’ best three-game start on defense since at least 2000 for points allowed (10.0 per game), expected points added (44.7) and success rate (66 percent), per TruMedia. Defensive statistics can be a function of the opponent, but the Vikings have held heavyweights San Francisco and Houston (which Minnesota beat 34-7 on Sunday) to their lowest regular-season point totals since the start of last season.

“They overload, but it ends up being a four-man rush, and they roll up on the receivers on the outside,” an offensive coach said. “They don’t let the quarterback have quick throws. They will bring (pressure) enough to get your attention. Your tendency is to want to get rid of the ball fast. You have to have your protections structured so you can hold the ball a little longer and get the ball down the field, but it’s tough.”

The defensive dominance has allowed Darnold to play stress free, attempting only two passes all season when trailing. But that is not all. Darnold leads the league with eight touchdown passes after tossing four Sunday. He ranks first in percentage of passes gaining more than 15 yards among QBs with three starts. And he wasn’t even assured of the starting job entering the season.

“They get the ball upfield as well as anyone, they do it by design and they make good use of their personnel to make explosive plays,” the coach said. “The combination of what Minnesota is doing defensively and what they are doing in the passing game … s—, they’re for real.”

Darnold also started 3-0 with Carolina in 2021, when he had 21 explosive pass completions, seven more than he’s had this season. That season unraveled, with Darnold tossing six touchdown passes with 12 interceptions the rest of the way. So, there’s still much to prove.

And if Darnold’s knee injury is serious, the Vikings presumably would be in the market to acquire a replacement.

“If something happens there, I think they are f—-d,” an exec said. “You can’t win with Nick Mullens. Kevin O’Connell proved last year he can do better than expected with some of those guys, but when you are down to quarterback three, you are in trouble.”

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5784021/2024/09/23/packers-vikings-nfc-north-best-division-nfl/
Post #: 2262
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/25/2024 4:58:18 PM   
David Levine

Is it time to re-think the Vikings as a Super Bowl contender?

Graham:
The Vikings are a fun story because the much-maligned Sam Darnold is enjoying moments in the sun, and the combination of Aaron Jones and Justin Jefferson has been must-see TV. But let’s throw some bouquets at Brian Flores’ defense.

Minnesota entered Sunday ranked third in points allowed and top-10 in both yards per carry and yards per pass attempt. With help from U.S. Bank Stadium, the Vikings annihilated the AFC South favorites on Sunday. They tormented C.J. Stroud with two interceptions and four sacks, and they’ll have the Texans’ offensive line flinching tonight in their sleep.

Get a load of outside linebacker Jonathan Greenard, who recorded three sacks against his old club and played a large part in Houston’s offensive line committing four straight pre-snap O-line penalties at the end of the first half, turning a third-and-4 at Minnesota’s 25-yard line into a punt. Four-time Pro Bowl left tackle Laremy Tunsil was flagged three times apiece for false starts and illegal formations. Minnesota stopped four runs behind the line and let Cam Akers gain just 2.3 yards per carry.

Nguyen: Flores’ defense has a boom-or-bust nature and the Vikings still live on aggression and causing confusion, but it’s hard to deny how good they’ve been. Last week, they shut down the 49ers and this week, they had Stroud, who is normally very good against the blitz, completely flustered. This is Stroud’s first multi-interception game in which he was also sacked four times in his career.

The Vikings’ offense is explosive on the ground and through the air — sixth in explosive play rate — but the old careless Sam Darnold does show up from time to time. Kevin O’Connell has been excellent calling plays. I think they have a formula to win a lot of games and maybe make noise in the playoffs, but until we see Darnold string together some elite games, it’s hard to say that they’re Super Bowl contenders. And that’s not a knock on the Vikings and their excellent start to the season, but it will take more to put them in that tier.

Pompei: The Vikings are better than almost anybody thought they would be. That’s about as far as we should go after three games. Two of their next three are against the Packers and Lions — we will have a much better feel for them then. Being excellent for 17 games is a much different challenge than being excellent for three, and January is a long way away. But it probably wouldn’t be wise to doubt that O’Connell will continue to get the best from Darnold, and if Darnold keeps playing the way he has, the Vikings should be a playoff contender. And history tells us every team in the playoffs is a Super Bowl contender.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5786015/2024/09/22/nfl-week-3-takeaways-vikings-contender-sirianni-eagles/
Post #: 2263
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/25/2024 4:59:42 PM   
Phil Riewer

Tommy Kramer
@Kramer9Tommy
With Brett Favre announcement yesterday, I feel it’s best I let everyone know that I was diagnosed with dementia just over a year ago at the NFL Cleveland Clinic.
Dr’s say I could have anywhere from 2 to 10 years, just had my year check up and it hasn’t advanced and I’ve been sober for almost a year now which will definitely help.
Please, no sympathy, I’ve lived a great life and wouldn’t change a thing. Nobody wanted to win more than me and I never gave up, and that’s exactly how I’m going to battle this.
Football is the life we chose to live and sometimes stuff like this can happen. Im grateful to the NFL for the opportunity and am glad they are trying to do things to protect today’s players. Financially I’m fine, but I know there are players out there who I played with that need all the help they can get. Unfortunately for me, the NFL will only try to help out with any of my medical bills and therapy what my personal insurance won’t cover. I’m hoping to bring some awareness so the NFL will be able to help others and future players who are battling illnesses like myself.
It’s still all about the fans for me, as long as I’m able, I’m going to continue to be out there and travel to the small towns which I love most and meet the fans.
Thank you for all the support and always remember, “We’re not here for a long time, we’re here for a good time”.
TK
2:48 PM · Sep 25, 2024
·
Views

Post #: 2264
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/25/2024 5:02:13 PM   
Todd M

quote:

Tommy Kramer
@Kramer9Tommy
With Brett Favre announcement yesterday, I feel it’s best I let everyone know that I was diagnosed with dementia just over a year ago at the NFL Cleveland Clinic.
Dr’s say I could have anywhere from 2 to 10 years, just had my year check up and it hasn’t advanced and I’ve been sober for almost a year now which will definitely help.
Please, no sympathy, I’ve lived a great life and wouldn’t change a thing. Nobody wanted to win more than me and I never gave up, and that’s exactly how I’m going to battle this.
Football is the life we chose to live and sometimes stuff like this can happen. Im grateful to the NFL for the opportunity and am glad they are trying to do things to protect today’s players. Financially I’m fine, but I know there are players out there who I played with that need all the help they can get. Unfortunately for me, the NFL will only try to help out with any of my medical bills and therapy what my personal insurance won’t cover. I’m hoping to bring some awareness so the NFL will be able to help others and future players who are battling illnesses like myself.
It’s still all about the fans for me, as long as I’m able, I’m going to continue to be out there and travel to the small towns which I love most and meet the fans.
Thank you for all the support and always remember, “We’re not here for a long time, we’re here for a good time”.
TK
2:48 PM · Sep 25, 2024
·
Views

Wish I was a fan when he was playing.
Post #: 2265
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/25/2024 5:04:08 PM   
David Levine

Its amazing that it took a dementia diagnosis for him to get sober.
Post #: 2266
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/25/2024 5:08:05 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

quote:

I do wish KOC wasn’t so against JJM starting so young that he sat him out with an “injury”.

C’mon Todd…

Are you so enamored, with Darnold, after three games, all impressive wins, I will concede, that you have to question the decision of the very management,that has us looking pretty solid?

Did JJM kick you puppy?

I believe you mentioned something like “ if Darnold proves to be a one season contract, wonder, we should sign him to a three, great money deal and put JJM on the trade block, for a draft pick or two…”

Is that what you really think we should do?

Your choice of crating a “ homo- erotic” scenario, where you imply that the coach is falsely protecting a rookie from being pushed into the fire, while “spooning” ?, over an injury that you seem to dismiss as trivial.

I don’t get it.

We need draft picks next off.. that is a fact.

But why does it have to be at the expense of smearing the head coaches and GM process, and the relationship they are developing with a rookie QB?

You disrespect them both, with such a seemingly bizarre and hopefully sarcastic, scenario.

Why?

< Message edited by Daniel Lee Young -- 9/25/2024 5:13:04 PM >
Post #: 2267
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/25/2024 5:10:43 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

quote:

C’mon Todd…

Are you so enamored, after three games, all impressive wins, I will concede, that you have to question the decision of the very management,that has us looking pretty solid?
I believe you mentioned something like “ if Darnold proves to be a one season contract, wonder, weshould sign him to a three great deal and put JJM on the trade block, for a draft pick or two…”
Your choice of crating a “ homo- erotic” scenario, where you imply that the coach is falsely protecting a rookie from being pushed into the fire, over an injury that you seem to dismiss as trivial.
I don’t get it.
But why does it have to be at the expense of smearing the head coma process, and the relationship he is developing with a rookie QB?
You disrespect them both, with such a seemingly bizarre and hopefully sarcastic, scenario.
Why?

Protecting the QBOTF who is 21 years old makes a ton of sense. Team Concept should be a fan concept also.

Nice to win and have two high talent rookies we don't need to completely depend on (JJ and Turner).

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 9/25/2024 5:11:44 PM >

Post #: 2268
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/25/2024 5:11:47 PM   
Todd M

I I considered signing Darnold but happily keeping JJM. Covering us through 25/26.
Post #: 2269
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/25/2024 5:14:08 PM   
Todd M

hopefully sarcastic

One can hope..
Post #: 2270
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/25/2024 5:14:20 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

quote:

C’mon Todd…

Are you so enamored, after three games, all impressive wins, I will concede, that you have to question the decision of the very management,that has us looking pretty solid?
I believe you mentioned something like “ if Darnold proves to be a one season contract, wonder, weshould sign him to a three great deal and put JJM on the trade block, for a draft pick or two…”
Your choice of crating a “ homo- erotic” scenario, where you imply that the coach is falsely protecting a rookie from being pushed into the fire, over an injury that you seem to dismiss as trivial.
I don’t get it.
But why does it have to be at the expense of smearing the head coma process, and the relationship he is developing with a rookie QB?
Why?

Protecting the QBOTF who is 21 years old makes a ton of sense. Team Concept should be a fan concept also.

Nice to win and have two high talent rookies we don't need to completely depend on (JJ and Turner).

We’ll, Phil.. check hell for ice..

We agree on something.
Post #: 2271
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/25/2024 5:16:40 PM   
Todd M

Best to make sure your memory is right when you tell someone to come on…

I.E my plan for Darnold/JJM.
Post #: 2272
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/25/2024 5:40:12 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

quote:

My “ C’mon was all about the gratuitous nature of the “ protecting the rookie”..

I’ll be the first to admit my fricken memory of things, prior to 6:10 pm Tuesday, is pretty scrambled..

But I swear I saw someone suggest that a shiner winning Darnold, would earn an extension,while JJM was traded for whatever we could get..

It might not have been you and I apologize for the assumption.
Post #: 2273
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/25/2024 10:43:04 PM   
timz

https://www.facebook.com/reel/8252493494832296
Post #: 2274
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/26/2024 7:59:50 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

I think everyone would love 2 dependable QBs....your post seemed to talk about disappointment of the two so far. I am on the other side....I see a great future.

Post #: 2275
Page:   <<   < prev  89 90 [91] 92 93   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  89 90 [91] 92 93   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode