Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: Terry Stoneberg
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  96 97 [98] 99 100   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/1/2024 8:42:55 AM   
Bill Johanesen

This doesn't mean anything except the players had one or more crappy seasons before the award, but right now Darnold has to be the frontrunner for 2024.

https://www.profootballwriters.org/on-field-awards/pfwa-nfl-most-improved-player-of-the-year/

2000 — QB Jeff Garcia, San Francisco 49ers
2001 — QB Kordell Stewart, Pittsburgh Steelers
2002 — QB Chad Pennington, New York Jets
2003 — QB Jon Kitna, Cincinnati Bengals
2004 — QB Drew Brees, San Diego Chargers
2005 — DE Osi Umenyiora, New York Giants
2006 — RB Frank Gore, San Francisco 49ers
2007 — QB Derek Anderson, Cleveland Browns
2008 — RB DeAngelo Williams, Carolina Panthers
2009 — WR Miles Austin, Dallas Cowboys
2010 — RB Arian Foster, Houston Texans
2011 — WR Victor Cruz, New York Giants
2012 — WR Dez Bryant, Dallas Cowboys
2013 — WR Alshon Jeffery, Chicago Bears
2014 — RB Le’Veon Bell, Pittsburgh Steelers
2015 — QB Kirk Cousins, Washington Redskins and CB Josh Norman, Carolina Panthers
2016 — LB Vic Beasley, Atlanta Falcons
2017 — QB Jared Goff, Los Angeles Rams
2018 — TE George Kittle, San Francisco 49ers
2019 — QB Ryan Tannehill, Tennessee Titans
2020 — QB Alex Smith, Washington Football Team
2021 — CB Trevon Diggs, Dallas Cowboys and RB Cordarrelle Patterson, Atlanta Falcons
2022 — QB Geno Smith, Seattle Seahawks
2023 — QB Baker Mayfield, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Post #: 2426
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/1/2024 8:51:33 AM   
Todd M

Could we see a comeback POY get serious consideration for MVP? 3 more legs to go but it would be something to see.
Post #: 2427
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/1/2024 12:01:36 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

Sometimes rude people like Bill chase good posters away, so we're stuck with Bill, but he does sometimes post some good stuff.

Certainly Bill’s rudeness, bordering on cruelness must have chased some away.

Sometimes it might be our particular brand of crazy. Yes, meaning you and me.

Sometimes it’s the politics. A group of 4 left bc people were “mean to TOE”.

But, while it may be boring sometimes, if you added in Bill’s buds, the old West coasters, a few Eric’s and boom…more flame wars instead of Vikes stuff. Which Bill would love.

Any idea what TOE is up to? True Viking fan. Even though we were opposites on politics, he didn't let that get in the way of great civil conversation. I miss that guy.

Civil?

I have pm’s from him from the 9-11 conspiracy theorists arguments that were anything but civil..

I’ll agree he was a great and knowledgeable Vikings fan, but civil?

Not a chance.
Post #: 2428
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/1/2024 12:46:16 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

Sometimes rude people like Bill chase good posters away, so we're stuck with Bill, but he does sometimes post some good stuff.

Certainly Bill’s rudeness, bordering on cruelness must have chased some away.

Sometimes it might be our particular brand of crazy. Yes, meaning you and me.

Sometimes it’s the politics. A group of 4 left bc people were “mean to TOE”.

But, while it may be boring sometimes, if you added in Bill’s buds, the old West coasters, a few Eric’s and boom…more flame wars instead of Vikes stuff. Which Bill would love.

Any idea what TOE is up to? True Viking fan. Even though we were opposites on politics, he didn't let that get in the way of great civil conversation. I miss that guy.

Civil?

I have pm’s from him from the 9-11 conspiracy theorists arguments that were anything but civil..

I’ll agree he was a great and knowledgeable Vikings fan, but civil?

Not a chance.

You kept PMs from TOE after 9-11?

I never saw him not be civil....maybe you helped create some of it Dan?

Might be time for some of us to let a few things go (including myself)?

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 10/1/2024 12:47:40 PM >

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 2429
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/1/2024 1:17:47 PM   
Todd M

I’m surprised we’ve all lasted as long as we have using this format.

Save for one weird one every interaction I’ve had live with people on or gone from this board was above par to great. Everyone so down to earth, friendly, and easy to talk to.

I wish those positive vibes remained.
Post #: 2430
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/1/2024 1:28:16 PM  2 votes
Todd M

Certain people I met will always be cool to me.

Jeff Jesser
Chris Olsen
Big Sky
David F
Ricky J

To name a few
Post #: 2431
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/1/2024 1:35:33 PM   
Todd M

Reasons to not fear a trap game this week.

1) This team is built different. We’re really good.
2) The Jets aren’t good and the QB marriage is eroding.
Post #: 2432
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/1/2024 4:02:02 PM   
David Levine

Sam Darnold for MVP.

Sounds crazy, right? It really isn't. Darnold has the Minnesota Vikings at 4-0. He leads the NFL in touchdown passes with 11 to go along with 932 passing yards and 8.8 yards per attempt, showing his knack for the big play.

Darnold wasn't flawless in the Vikings' impressive road victory over the Green Bay Packers on Sunday, throwing one pick and losing a fumble in the second half, but he threw three touchdown passes. Darnold, who came into the season with a career completion percentage under 60%, is completing 68.9% of his passes this season with a passer rating of 118.9 when his previous career best was 92.6 in six starts for Carolina in 2022.

It helps that he has Justin Jefferson, the best pure receiver in the game, and a great offensive mind in Kevin O'Connell calling plays, but give Darnold credit for resurrecting his career. He was a former high first-round pick of the Jets, flopped there, was just OK for the Panthers and then served as a backup for the 49ers. He came into this season as a stop-gap; the plan was for him to keep the seat warm until first-round pick J.J. McCarthy was ready to play.

When McCarthy got hurt in training camp, it was Darnold's job and he's made the most of it. Where would the Vikings be without him?

The defense has impressed under coordinator Brian Flores, but the offense has done its part as well. Darnold is the reason why. The Vikings are up to the No. 2 spot in my Power Rankings this week as they head to London to play Jets, which makes it a revenge game of sorts for Darnold if you believe in those things.

O'Connell doesn't get his due for his bright offensive mind, but he also should get props for the way he calls a game. The man isn't scared. Take Sunday. Darnold had two blunders in the second half, which had many probably screaming that he was turning back in the old Sam Darnold. It let the Packers back into the game.

So what did O'Connell do after Darnold's fumble led to a point-blank touchdown for the Packers that made it 28-22? He let Darnold throw it on six of the next seven plays as the Vikings got a field goal to make it a nine-point game late. Coaching scared? Not in Minnesota, which is why Darnold is playing his best football.

Spinning it forward, what does it mean for the long run? What if Darnold were to win the NFL MVP and take the Vikings to the Super Bowl? McCarthy was supposed to be the future. That might not be the case if Darnold keeps this up. He is only 27, so there is still a lot of football left for him.

The first month has been a heck of a resurrection of his career. If it keeps up, he just might end up being the league MVP, something few, if any, saw as a possibility.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-week-5-power-rankings-mvp-candidate-sam-darnold-has-vikings-rolling-texans-bucs-move-into-top-five/
Post #: 2433
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/1/2024 4:19:53 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

If we have only one loss at trade deadline and we still look impressive, do you make a move for a stud DLineman or CB? Even though we are low on 2025 draft picks(which means our #1 is in play)

Plenty of cap space in future to add a difference maker.

Think of when SF traded for McCaffrey.

That's 9 games in, good question/scenario. It's good to draft players because their cap burden is less, but there is always the chance they don't pan out.

Maybe Kwesi could wheel and deal to scrounge up a 2nd rounder to use to trade. Keep the 1st round pick.

Right now we're in the midst of the Year of the Reclamation Project with Darnold, Gilmore, etc so maybe continue looking for scrap heapers, check in on the disgruntleds, etc.

That's the problem for sure ... draft picks are so hit and miss. And development time cuts into their team-friendly contracts.

But those 4 year contract blocks are much easier to build with if you hit on that draft pick. Roster continuity, team friendly contracts.

Compared to FA rentals, who don't always plug in right away either. We very rarely add a FA for more than 2-3 years. Greenard being the lone exception in this year's influx with a 4 yr deal.

Our additions though across the board look like a bunch of home grown prospects come to fruition at the same time. A big part of this year's story.

Detroit is a little scary because they have been adding impact draft picks for the last few years. On paper, you would think the window of their success is bigger – especially if they keep drafting well. Our puny draft next year won't help us to catch up on this concern either.

Nothing is written. We look dam good right now. Even if we have taken an unconventional approach.
Post #: 2434
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/1/2024 4:29:17 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

Reasons to not fear a trap game this week.

1) This team is built different. We’re really good.
2) The Jets aren’t good and the QB marriage is eroding.

I saw an interview with Rogers on the Pat McAfee show (I lasted about 20 seconds before drifting over to the travel channel).

McAfee was giving him a hard time about photos of him at the end of the loss to Denver, sitting on the bench, looking grim and beat down.

Rogers admitted to getting knocked around a bit. Said he felt sore and had some swelling in a knee.

I couldn't help but think to myself, here's a guy that's worried about a flesh wound when he's about to get dropped into a wood chipper.
Post #: 2435
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/1/2024 5:59:35 PM   
Chris Olson

I would like to think that it has to be getting into Rodgers head just how many hits we have put on quarterbacks already this year...

at his age, I think he is feeling the pain a little more, too

I think after a couple hits, HE is the one that's gonna be seeing ghosts

could be a really fun game!
Post #: 2436
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/1/2024 7:34:11 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lars

The Nailor muff was brutal.

A coaching gaff imo. What was there like 60 seconds left in the 1st half?

Your #1 PR was out with his bell rung why would you even have anyone back there to even field the ball?

With a 28 point lead you were just going to take a knee anyway.

That was an unnecessary risk (having Nailor field the ball) that cost us 7 points.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 2437
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/1/2024 10:48:12 PM   
Chris Olson

https://www.facebook.com/reel/1194600375138413

hysterical
Post #: 2438
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/2/2024 2:02:43 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

Your #1 PR was out with his bell rung why would you even have anyone back there to even field the ball?

That was an unnecessary risk (having Nailor field the ball) that cost us 7 points.

with the sun and all, they should have given him instructions...and given our RB's instructions about running out of bounds - coaches can't assume the players are completely heady and aware of situational game planning....

this game had a little bit of everything...our coaches should be instructing the players better....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 2439
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/2/2024 8:33:54 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

If we have only one loss at trade deadline and we still look impressive, do you make a move for a stud DLineman or CB? Even though we are low on 2025 draft picks(which means our #1 is in play)

That's 9 games in, good question/scenario. It's good to draft players because their cap burden is less, but there is always the chance they don't pan out.

Maybe Kwesi could wheel and deal to scrounge up a 2nd rounder to use to trade. Keep the 1st round pick.

Right now we're in the midst of the Year of the Reclamation Project with Darnold, Gilmore, etc so maybe continue looking for scrap heapers, check in on the disgruntleds, etc.

That's the problem for sure ... draft picks are so hit and miss. And development time cuts into their team-friendly contracts.

But those 4 year contract blocks are much easier to build with if you hit on that draft pick. Roster continuity, team friendly contracts.

Compared to FA rentals, who don't always plug in right away either. We very rarely add a FA for more than 2-3 years. Greenard being the lone exception in this year's influx with a 4 yr deal.

Our additions though across the board look like a bunch of home grown prospects come to fruition at the same time. A big part of this year's story.

Detroit is a little scary because they have been adding impact draft picks for the last few years. On paper, you would think the window of their success is bigger – especially if they keep drafting well. Our puny draft next year won't help us to catch up on this concern either.

Nothing is written. We look dam good right now. Even if we have taken an unconventional approach.

Agree on Detroit adding impact picks, beyond just the first round. It's like after years of futility, everything turned around and accelerated to where they can't miss on a pick. Granted, that's an embellishment but they have been drafting great.

They have been doling out some huge contracts too. Seems their window is this year and 2025. After that, those contracts explode and they will also have to pay Hutchinson and LaPorta (although their contracts are likely to be backloaded). I don't know, guess they can keep a fairly large core group together then plug in some cheap players.
Post #: 2440
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/2/2024 8:43:22 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

Agree on Detroit adding impact picks, beyond just the first round. It's like after years of futility, everything turned around and accelerated to where they can't miss on a pick. Granted, that's an embellishment but they have been drafting great.

They have been doling out some huge contracts too. Seems their window is this year and 2025. After that, those contracts explode and they will also have to pay Hutchinson and LaPorta (although their contracts are likely to be backloaded). I don't know, guess they can keep a fairly large core group together then plug in some cheap players.

Our past issue will be their future issue.....they gave Goff a huge contract that really kicks in after 2025. Their cap does look really good for this year and next.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 2441
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/2/2024 8:48:12 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

KOC is still relatively inexperienced but doesn't project as some brilliant HC who is hyper aware of these little details and scenarios. The decision on what to do should have been based on time remaining on the clock. Basic stuff. But the game clock, play clock... anything with a clock, is something that looks like he doesn't even realize exists.

Reminds me a bit of Childress in New Orleans. With the clock winding down, they take a timeout but then trot out 12 men! The moment was too big.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 10/2/2024 8:49:46 AM >
Post #: 2442
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/2/2024 9:11:21 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

KOC is still relatively inexperienced but doesn't project as some brilliant HC who is hyper aware of these little details and scenarios. The decision on what to do should have been based on time remaining on the clock. Basic stuff. But the game clock, play clock... anything with a clock, is something that looks like he doesn't even realize exists.

Reminds me a bit of Childress in New Orleans. With the clock winding down, they take a timeout but then trot out 12 men! The moment was too big.

The other decision was going for it on 4th down and not taking the three points that put your team up by 12 with less than 2 minutes to go. The Packers had NO time outs. forcing them to get two TDs to beat you would have been a lot smarter. But he wanted to get Aaron Jones his TD and Lambeau leap. Emotional decisions like that will eventually cost you a game. If the Packers had recovered that onside kick...we probably lose the game cause all they needed to do was get into FG range. Their Kickers was due to redeem himself with the game winning kick...

If a cow doesn't provide milk, is that a milk dud or and udder failure?
Post #: 2443
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/2/2024 10:03:22 AM   
Lars

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

The other decision was going for it on 4th down and not taking the three points that put your team up by 12 with less than 2 minutes to go. The Packers had NO time outs. forcing them to get two TDs to beat you would have been a lot smarter. But he wanted to get Aaron Jones his TD and Lambeau leap. Emotional decisions like that will eventually cost you a game. If the Packers had recovered that onside kick...we probably lose the game cause all they needed to do was get into FG range. Their Kickers was due to redeem himself with the game winning kick...

Agreed. Put your TEAM in a position to win. Jones getting a TD means way less than a TEAM win.

And agreed on the Nailor punt return. He should have never even been allowed to contemplate that return there.

<this space for rent>
Post #: 2444
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/2/2024 10:05:09 AM   
Lars

RE: the Lions -

They are a solid team. But their defense is not very good, IMO. They have some splash moments, but are not great and run pretty basic schemes. And Goff will turn the ball over - he just needs to be pressured.

<this space for rent>
Post #: 2445
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/2/2024 10:07:06 AM   
Lars

PS - I would love to see more of the old crew posting back on here.

If you all are lurking, get your asses back on the TalkVikes bandwagon.

<this space for rent>
Post #: 2446
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/2/2024 10:44:46 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Asking honestly, did he say that... or did he even allude to that? Because if so, the Wilfs need to suspend him for a few games. This isn't pop warner. Nor would that float in competitive high school districts.

The play was discussed previously. I was ok with either decision. 12 points seemed - or should have seemed - comfortable but GB showed the capability to march down the field at will so there was some risk. Conversely, convert the 4th and 1 and the game is 99.9% over (maybe kick a FG at the end of that new set of downs) A risk but also reward type thing. Gaining one yard isn't asking for much, except GB adjusted and covered the outside runs well and running inside is always a scary proposition with that IOL.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 10/2/2024 10:47:29 AM >
Post #: 2447
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/2/2024 12:09:10 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

RE: the Lions -

They are a solid team. But their defense is not very good, IMO. They have some splash moments, but are not great and run pretty basic schemes. And Goff will turn the ball over - he just needs to be pressured.

He's a statue that wilts under pressure...and if Bflo's defense is truly good at anything, it's applying pressure.

Lions are good and one of their biggest strengths is the Oline. but Goff is not Rodgers. He's not Brady. He's not Mahomes... And we are very good at getting pressure on the QB.

Post #: 2448
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/2/2024 12:11:27 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

Agreed. Put your TEAM in a position to win. Jones getting a TD means way less than a TEAM win.

And agreed on the Nailor punt return. He should have never even been allowed to contemplate that return there.

I've never coached or played football. Watched a ton of it. I would have coached him to run towards the LOS as soon as the punter's foot made contact with the ball. Get 20-40 yards away from it. Worst that happens there is they down it inside the 5. And we would have just run the clock out on the half.

Post #: 2449
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/2/2024 12:21:24 PM   
Lars

quote:

I've never coached or played football. Watched a ton of it. I would have coached him to run towards the LOS as soon as the punter's foot made contact with the ball. Get 20-40 yards away from it. Worst that happens there is they down it inside the 5. And we would have just run the clock out on the half.

It's situational football. Doing these things right is what takes a a team from being good to great, i.e. knowing you are going to go for it on 4th and super short - the offense hurries superfast and snaps the ball before the defense can even set....easy first down. Brady/NE were excellent at all of these little nuances in the game.

<this space for rent>
Post #: 2450
Page:   <<   < prev  96 97 [98] 99 100   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  96 97 [98] 99 100   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode