Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Twins 2024 Season and Game Day Thread

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Twins 2024 Season and Game Day Thread Page: <<   < prev  32 33 [34] 35 36   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Twins 2024 Season and Game Day Thread - 10/3/2024 2:35:08 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

The reason we did well in 2023 was our pitching......the reason we collapsed in 2024 was our pitching....nothing to do with the hitting.

We knew going into 2023 we had a very good pitching staff and going into 2024 we knew it wasn't as good.....it ended up worse than average in 2024.

During the collapse out team scored an average of less than 4 runs a game.

It had a lot to do with hitting.

Pitching contributed too. but you are ignoring how bad the bats were from Aug 17th on

If a cow doesn't provide milk, is that a milk dud or and udder failure?
Post #: 826
RE: Twins 2024 Season and Game Day Thread - 10/3/2024 3:47:03 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

The reason we did well in 2023 was our pitching......the reason we collapsed in 2024 was our pitching....nothing to do with the hitting.

We knew going into 2023 we had a very good pitching staff and going into 2024 we knew it wasn't as good.....it ended up worse than average in 2024.

Pitching contributed too. but you are ignoring how bad the bats were from Aug 17th on

If you look at the teams stats---no playoff team had worse pitching (21). 5-6 of them had worse hitting....

I would say it was the main reason. Also the main reason I didn't have faith we would get past the first round.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 827
RE: Twins 2024 Season and Game Day Thread - 10/4/2024 7:47:46 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

If you look at the teams stats---no playoff team had worse pitching (21). 5-6 of them had worse hitting....

I would say it was the main reason. Also the main reason I didn't have faith we would get past the first round.

OK. I didn't say it had nothing to do with Pitching.

That was a major problem too. We had three rookies in our starting rotation for the entire stretch fun. Three. Our bullpen had exactly two reliable guy. Two. Four pitchers that you could somewhat rely on. They can't pitch every day. Our bullpen was the worst at allowing inherited runners to score by a WIDE MARGIN.

But YOU SAID it had nothing to do with Hitting. I beg to differ. These guys couldn't hit water if they fell out of a boat from Aug 17 or so on.

It ALL contributed. Should there be some bloodletting in the pitching coach staff...probably. But we have a lineup of talented hitters that lost the ability to hit for a month and a half. They had a seasons long issue with plating runners that were in scoring position with less than two outs. The number of pop outs and strike outs in those situations is atrocious. To say it had NOTHING (your words) to do with hitting is misleading and inaccurate.

It puts more pressure on the pitchers when the lineups can't score them runs. During the epic collapse this team did nothing well. Defense, hitting, baserunning, and pitching were all awful.

It doesn't have to be one (pitching) or the other (hitting). It can be both.

...and it was...and more

< Message edited by Trekgeekscott -- 10/4/2024 7:50:27 AM >

Post #: 828
RE: Twins 2024 Season and Game Day Thread - 10/4/2024 8:34:31 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

That was a major problem too. We had three rookies in our starting rotation for the entire stretch fun. Three. Our bullpen had exactly two reliable guy. Two. Four pitchers that you could somewhat rely on. They can't pitch every day. Our bullpen was the worst at allowing inherited runners to score by a WIDE MARGIN.

But YOU SAID it had nothing to do with Hitting. I beg to differ. These guys couldn't hit water if they fell out of a boat from Aug 17 or so on.

It ALL contributed. Should there be some bloodletting in the pitching coach staff...probably. But we have a lineup of talented hitters that lost the ability to hit for a month and a half. They had a seasons long issue with plating runners that were in scoring position with less than two outs. The number of pop outs and strike outs in those situations is atrocious. To say it had NOTHING (your words) to do with hitting is misleading and inaccurate.

It puts more pressure on the pitchers when the lineups can't score them runs. During the epic collapse this team did nothing well. Defense, hitting, baserunning, and pitching were all awful.

...and it was...and more

Our hitting was similar to last year for final stats we just were red hot late (last year).
The key is always the pitching. That was the Falvey/Lavine fail for the year. You need at least 3 #2 pitchers and when Ryan got hurt and no trade deadline deals I knew we would be cooked eventually.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 10/4/2024 8:38:05 AM >

Post #: 829
RE: Twins 2024 Season and Game Day Thread - 10/4/2024 8:47:49 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

...and it was...and more

Our hitting was similar to last year for final stats we just were red hot late (last year).
The key is always the pitching. That was the Falvey/Lavine fail for the year. You need at least 3 #2 pitchers and when Ryan got hurt and no trade deadline deals I knew we would be cooked eventually.

This is what I posted on August 12 BEFORE the collapse.

Boy oh boy. Doing a pennant run with 3/5 of your rotation rookies....

Sounds sustainable to me.

So I agree with you about the pitching. I just disagree with you about the hitting.

The end, season long stats mean nothing. We Hit well early this year, It's a big reason we were 17 games over .500 when the collapse began, and went ICE COLD down the stretch. injuries contributed to this just like it did to pitching, but still. In a reversal from 2023 when they got hot late in the year, in 2024 they just lost the ability to hit. Every other team knew that they'd be swinging for the fences etc. and pitched them accordingly. We need a hitting coach that can teach them how to adapt when they start pitching you differently. Our staff clearly couldn't do that. The collapse showed it. The regression of Julien showed it. Popkins and staff were let go because they failed at their jobs.

Post #: 830
RE: Twins 2024 Season and Game Day Thread - 10/4/2024 8:58:38 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

...and it was...and more

So I agree with you about the pitching. I just disagree with you about the hitting.

The end, season long stats mean nothing. We Hit well early this year, It's a big reason we were 17 games over .500 when the collapse began, and went ICE COLD down the stretch. injuries contributed to this just like it did to pitching, but still. In a reversal from 2023 when they got hot late in the year, in 2024 they just lost the ability to hit. Every other team knew that they'd be swinging for the fences etc. and pitched them accordingly. We need a hitting coach that can teach them how to adapt when they start pitching you differently. Our staff clearly couldn't do that. The collapse showed it. The regression of Julien showed it. Popkins and staff were let go because they failed at their jobs.

2023 Pre All Star Break OPS (22), AVG (25), HR (8), OBP (25).....2023 Post All Star Break OPS (3), OBP (4), AVG (7).

It had more to do with Wallner, Julien, Lewis, and Castro being hot as hell then the coaching....but you have to blame someone. Wallner, Julien, and Lewis had some sophomore slumps and teams adjusted....

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 10/4/2024 9:00:49 AM >

Post #: 831
RE: Twins 2024 Season and Game Day Thread - 10/4/2024 10:26:17 AM   
twinsfan

Thad Levine is leaving.

I assume this is cost savings.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 832
RE: Twins 2024 Season and Game Day Thread - 10/4/2024 10:29:50 AM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

Thad Levine is leaving.

Halfway there...
Post #: 833
RE: Twins 2024 Season and Game Day Thread - 10/4/2024 10:45:39 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

Thad Levine is leaving.

Halfway there...

Promised something he didn't deliver was the 2nd.

Post #: 834
RE: Twins 2024 Season and Game Day Thread - 10/4/2024 11:10:55 AM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

Thad Levine is leaving.

Halfway there...

I'm refering to Falvey as the other half.
Post #: 835
RE: Twins 2024 Season and Game Day Thread - 10/4/2024 11:37:28 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

...and it was...and more

2023 Pre All Star Break OPS (22), AVG (25), HR (8), OBP (25).....2023 Post All Star Break OPS (3), OBP (4), AVG (7).

It had more to do with Wallner, Julien, Lewis, and Castro being hot as hell then the coaching....but you have to blame someone. Wallner, Julien, and Lewis had some sophomore slumps and teams adjusted....

and the hitting coach didn't help them adapt. they all slumped en masse

Post #: 836
RE: Twins 2024 Season and Game Day Thread - 10/4/2024 11:38:59 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Thad Levine is leaving.

Halfway there...

I'm refering to Falvey as the other half.

Falvey is not going anywhere.

Levine shouldn't be blamed so much for this collapse. How any GM or POBO could get anything done with their hands tied to their ankles by the cheap ass owners. ... They don't deserve the blame here.

Post #: 837
RE: Twins 2024 Season and Game Day Thread - 10/4/2024 11:58:35 AM   
Trekgeekscott

Here's a guy the Twins will probably pursue because he's clearly on a career trajectory towards the bottom of the barrell.

Longtime Nippon Professional Baseball star Tomoyuki Sugano is planning to sign with an MLB team this offseason, according to ESPN’s Jeff Passan. After 12 years in NPB, Sugano more than meets the requirements (nine years of NPB service) to qualify for international free agency, so he will not be subject to the rules of the posting system.

Sugano, soon to be 35, is an eight-time NPB All-Star, two-time Central League MVP, and two-time winner of the Eiji Sawamura Award, given out annually to the best starting pitcher in NPB. After collecting his second MVP trophy in 2020, he was posted for MLB clubs and drew interest from several teams, including the Giants, Mets, Red Sox, Padres, Blue Jays, and Rangers. However, he did not sign before the deadline, choosing instead to re-up with the Yomiuri Giants on a four-year, $40MM deal. His contract gave him the option to opt out after every season to pursue international opportunities, and following the first year of the deal, he he had enough NPB service time that he would not have been restricted by the posting system. Nevertheless, he decided to stay with the Giants throughout the length of the contract.

One reason Sugano may have decided not to pursue international free agency after the 2021, ’22, or ’23 seasons was his declining performance. He was outstanding in 2020, pitching to a 1.97 ERA with a 24.6% strikeout rate over 137.1 innings. However, he had ERAs of 3.19, 3.12, and 3.36 the following three years. His strikeout rates slowly declined, while his home run rates shot up. Moreover, injuries limited him to just 77.2 IP in 2023. His performance from 2021-23 wasn’t poor by any means, but it’s understandable why he chose not to sacrifice his guaranteed salary.

The 2024 season marked a return to dominance for the Sugano. Over 156.2 IP, he went 15-3 with a 1.67 ERA. His 18.3% strikeout rate was lower than it was at his peak – he struck out 24.2% of batters from 2016-20 – but he is finding success in new ways as an older pitcher. His 2.6% walk rate in 2024 was a career-best. His 6.94 strikeout-to-walk ratio was his best since 2016. In addition, he gave up only six home runs to the 608 batters he faced, 0.99% home run rate. That’s the lowest home run rate of his career, and significantly lower than his 2.91% home run rate from 2021-23. As a cherry on top, Sugano also threw three complete games this past season. He hadn’t thrown a single complete game since 2021.

Now that the four-year contract he signed during the 2020-21 offseason is up, Sugano has little reason not to give an MLB career another try. According to reporter Francys Romero, the veteran has hired VC Sports Group to represent him in free agency. The starting pitching market will feature plenty of big names this offseason, including Corbin Burnes, Yusei Kikuchi, Max Fried, Jack Flaherty, and likely Blake Snell, who has a player option for 2025. Considering his age, Sugano won’t be looking for a long-term contract, so he could represent an interesting alternative for a team that wants to add a potential top-flight starting pitcher on a shorter deal.

Post #: 838
RE: Twins 2024 Season and Game Day Thread - 10/5/2024 4:53:57 AM   
Phil Riewer

Apparently Jax wants to try starting again. Logical to try it if they can fill his role.

Post #: 839
RE: Twins 2024 Season and Game Day Thread - 10/5/2024 1:53:00 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

Here's a guy the Twins will probably pursue because he's clearly on a career trajectory towards the bottom of the barrell.

Longtime Nippon Professional Baseball star Tomoyuki Sugano is planning to sign with an MLB team this offseason, according to ESPN’s Jeff Passan. After 12 years in NPB, Sugano more than meets the requirements (nine years of NPB service) to qualify for international free agency, so he will not be subject to the rules of the posting system.

Sugano, soon to be 35, is an eight-time NPB All-Star, two-time Central League MVP, and two-time winner of the Eiji Sawamura Award, given out annually to the best starting pitcher in NPB. After collecting his second MVP trophy in 2020, he was posted for MLB clubs and drew interest from several teams, including the Giants, Mets, Red Sox, Padres, Blue Jays, and Rangers. However, he did not sign before the deadline, choosing instead to re-up with the Yomiuri Giants on a four-year, $40MM deal. His contract gave him the option to opt out after every season to pursue international opportunities, and following the first year of the deal, he he had enough NPB service time that he would not have been restricted by the posting system. Nevertheless, he decided to stay with the Giants throughout the length of the contract.

One reason Sugano may have decided not to pursue international free agency after the 2021, ’22, or ’23 seasons was his declining performance. He was outstanding in 2020, pitching to a 1.97 ERA with a 24.6% strikeout rate over 137.1 innings. However, he had ERAs of 3.19, 3.12, and 3.36 the following three years. His strikeout rates slowly declined, while his home run rates shot up. Moreover, injuries limited him to just 77.2 IP in 2023. His performance from 2021-23 wasn’t poor by any means, but it’s understandable why he chose not to sacrifice his guaranteed salary.

The 2024 season marked a return to dominance for the Sugano. Over 156.2 IP, he went 15-3 with a 1.67 ERA. His 18.3% strikeout rate was lower than it was at his peak – he struck out 24.2% of batters from 2016-20 – but he is finding success in new ways as an older pitcher. His 2.6% walk rate in 2024 was a career-best. His 6.94 strikeout-to-walk ratio was his best since 2016. In addition, he gave up only six home runs to the 608 batters he faced, 0.99% home run rate. That’s the lowest home run rate of his career, and significantly lower than his 2.91% home run rate from 2021-23. As a cherry on top, Sugano also threw three complete games this past season. He hadn’t thrown a single complete game since 2021.

Now that the four-year contract he signed during the 2020-21 offseason is up, Sugano has little reason not to give an MLB career another try. According to reporter Francys Romero, the veteran has hired VC Sports Group to represent him in free agency. The starting pitching market will feature plenty of big names this offseason, including Corbin Burnes, Yusei Kikuchi, Max Fried, Jack Flaherty, and likely Blake Snell, who has a player option for 2025. Considering his age, Sugano won’t be looking for a long-term contract, so he could represent an interesting alternative for a team that wants to add a potential top-flight starting pitcher on a shorter deal.

I'm intrigued.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 840
RE: Twins 2024 Season and Game Day Thread - 10/7/2024 7:11:25 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

I'm intrigued.

I would rather have Kikuchi or Flaherty. Odds are that is the bin we will be shopping in.

Post #: 841
RE: Twins 2024 Season and Game Day Thread - 10/7/2024 8:04:05 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

Apparently Jax wants to try starting again. Logical to try it if they can fill his role.

He wasn't particularly successful when starting, he found a niche where is extremely successful.

why **** with that?

I don't think it is logical at all.

Post #: 842
RE: Twins 2024 Season and Game Day Thread - 10/7/2024 4:07:34 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

He wasn't particularly successful when starting, he found a niche where is extremely successful.
why **** with that?
I don't think it is logical at all.

Lopez and a couple others tried it and he has developed his secondary pitches.

It is logical he would rather be a starter---not sure if that will happen.

Post #: 843
RE: Twins 2024 Season and Game Day Thread - 10/8/2024 10:52:24 AM   
twinsfan

RIP Luis Tiant, 83

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 844
RE: Twins 2024 Season and Game Day Thread - 10/8/2024 8:56:08 PM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

RIP Luis Tiant, 83

He was a Twin. Acquired in a big trade. And then released after one season. He would then go on to many great seasons with the Red Sox.
Post #: 845
RE: Twins 2024 Season and Game Day Thread - 10/9/2024 9:33:02 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

quote:

RIP Luis Tiant, 83

He was a Twin. Acquired in a big trade. And then released after one season. He would then go on to many great seasons with the Red Sox.

And the player we traded was perennial all star 3B Graig Nettles

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 846
RE: Twins 2024 Season and Game Day Thread - 10/9/2024 10:09:02 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

quote:

RIP Luis Tiant, 83

Nettles was blocking Castino.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 847
RE: Twins 2024 Season and Game Day Thread - 10/9/2024 11:35:54 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

RIP Luis Tiant, 83

Yep. trading Nettles for Tiant in 1969 cleared the way for the Twins to bring up Castino 10 years later.

< Message edited by Trekgeekscott -- 10/9/2024 11:38:13 AM >

Post #: 848
RE: Twins 2024 Season and Game Day Thread - 10/9/2024 1:24:27 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

RIP Luis Tiant, 83

Yep. trading Nettles for Tiant in 1969 cleared the way for the Twins to bring up Castino 10 years later.

Yep, 10 years and 3 managers later, Castino arrived.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 849
RE: Twins 2024 Season and Game Day Thread - 10/10/2024 9:40:50 AM   
Karl Juhnke

Hurricane Milton has delivered what we can only hope is the death blow to the worst stadium in baseball, Tropicana Field. The roof was ripped apart.
Post #: 850
Page:   <<   < prev  32 33 [34] 35 36   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Twins 2024 Season and Game Day Thread Page: <<   < prev  32 33 [34] 35 36   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode