Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/1/2024 12:52:22 PM   
TJSweens

This is going to be a challenging off-season. Whoever winds up owning the Wolves, stands to pay a pretty hefty chunk of luxury tax without significant changes. Connelly has already indicated he wants to remain no matter who prevails in the ownership fight.

Where do they go from here?

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 1
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/1/2024 1:01:04 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

This is going to be a challenging off-season. Whoever winds up owning the Wolves, stands to pay a pretty hefty chunk of luxury tax without significant changes. Connelly has already indicated he wants to remain no matter who prevails in the ownership fight.

Where do they go from here?

Holding pattern.

The most likely situation is running it back. I can't see any way major moves can be made before ownership is settled.

As it stands now, Taylor is the only one who could approve a major trade, and he has to be shrewd enough to know that doing so could open himself up to other legal challenges. And with the hate between the two sides, I don't see them working out any kind of deal together.

quote:

Meanwhile, there is unlikely to be any real progress on the ownership front before the Wolves enter the draft at the end of June or free agency in July. The uncertainty has put a strain on the entire Wolves operation, from the business and marketing sides to the basketball operations department.

“We’re all caught in the middle,” one Wolves employee said on condition of anonymity because employees are not authorized to speak publicly on the situation.

That makes mapping out the future of this team more complicated than it normally would be, especially for a roster that is about to get expensive.

www.nytimes.com/athletic/5531453/2024/05/31/timberwolves-tim-connelly-karl-anthony-town-offseason/
Post #: 2
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/3/2024 10:45:41 AM  1 votes
marty

Trade KAT for Durant ?

https://share.newsbreak.com/75n3p6qbTrade

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 3
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/3/2024 11:33:26 AM   
Karl Juhnke

Ownership dispute will probably preclude any major moves. Too bad because they shouldn’t stand pat. They did that last year, only bringing in Shake Milton and that other guy who is also no longer with the team. In other words, no real changes. They made a definite step forward by standing pat, but I can’t see doing it again without stagnating.

They need to trade Towns.

This isn’t even an angry anti-Towns rant. I’m beyond that. He is what he is. He’s 28 years old. He has definite value but remains a puzzle this team has yet to fully figure out.

Trade for an up and coming point guard. I love Conley but he’s not getting younger. They’re going have to start being very judicious with his minutes to keep him fresh all year. You need an alternative to share those minutes other than have other players pretend to be a pg. you need a real one.

Get that and a draft pick for Towns and I’d be happy.

< Message edited by Karl Juhnke -- 6/3/2024 11:35:55 AM >
Post #: 4
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/3/2024 11:43:06 AM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

Ownership dispute will probably preclude any major moves. Too bad because they shouldn’t stand pat. They did that last year, only bringing in Shake Milton and that other guy who is also no longer with the team. In other words, no real changes. They made a definite step forward by standing pat, but I can’t see doing it again without stagnating.

This isn’t even an angry anti-Towns rant. I’m beyond that. He is what he is. He’s 28 years old. He has definite value but remains a puzzle this team has yet to fully figure out.

Trade for an up and coming point guard. I love Conley but he’s not getting younger. They’re going have to start being very judicious with his minutes to keep him fresh all year. You need an alternative to share those minutes other than have other players pretend to be a pg. you need a real one.

They spent most of the year as the #1 seed, were the 3rd to last team eliminated, knocked off the World Champs and were 9 points shy of being up 3-1 over Dallas.

If you trade KAT for a PG, it better be an ALL-NBA caliber player because we become a lot weaker without KAT. And we don't have anyone to take his place.
Post #: 5
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/3/2024 12:08:08 PM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

They spent most of the year as the #1 seed, were the 3rd to last team eliminated, knocked off the World Champs and were 9 points shy of being up 3-1 over Dallas.

If you trade KAT for a PG, it better be an ALL-NBA caliber player because we become a lot weaker without KAT. And we don't have anyone to take his place.

Yes my scenario assumes you acquire another big. You don’t just leave a hole in KAT’s spot. But they can do that by other means.

I’m not questioning that they took a big step this year. They did. But standing near completely pat in two consecutive off seasons without adding anything of value just makes me nervous.
Post #: 6
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/3/2024 12:22:36 PM  2 votes
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes my scenario assumes you acquire another big. You don’t just leave a hole in KAT’s spot. But they can do that by other means.

I’m not questioning that they took a big step this year. They did. But standing near completely pat in two consecutive off seasons without adding anything of value just makes me nervous.

Its not really standing pat. They barely had Conley and NAW last season. Not to mention McDaniels and Naz missing the Playoffs.

I just don't see how you move KAT and upgrade both his spot and Conley's.

We need to count on continued growth from Ant and (especially) McDaniels. And there was honestly a ton of growth from KAT this year. That needs to continue.

Then hopefully one of Miller or Minott can become a true rotation player. And ideally we draft a PG to groom with our 1st round pick.

< Message edited by David Levine -- 6/3/2024 4:56:57 PM >
Post #: 7
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/3/2024 12:23:36 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

KAT frustrates the ever living crap out of me, but if they move him, they better have a plan to replace what he brings to the table. Nobody else on that roster can fill that #2 offensive option. Honestly, if he can find a way to stay aggressive without picking up fouls 50 feet from the basket, that would move him up.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 8
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/3/2024 12:25:18 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

Can Connelly turn Minott/Miller/Garza and our 1st/2nd into filling those needs?

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 9
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/3/2024 12:29:19 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

quote:

KAT frustrates the ever living crap out of me, but if they move him, they better have a plan to replace what he brings to the table. Nobody else on that roster can fill that #2 offensive option. Honestly, if he can find a way to stay aggressive without picking up fouls 50 feet from the basket, that would move him up.

We definitely don't beat Denver w/o KAT, and maybe not Phoenix.

I feel like Naz could probably provide 80% of KAT's offense. But he's miles away from KAT as a rebounder and defender.

Naz got a bit exposed in the Playoffs as teams sped him up and his usual excellent decision making became a liability. And other than a few really splashy blocks on Jokic, he was terrible on defense.

He could definitely start for a bad team, but it looks like he's in the perfect role on a good team. That "instant offense" scorer off the bench.
Post #: 10
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/3/2024 12:32:29 PM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Its not really standing pat. They barely had Conley and NAW last season. Not to mention McDaniels and Naz missing the Playoffs.

We need to count on continued growth from Ant and (especially) McDaniels. And there was honestly a ton of growth from KAT this year. That needs to continue.

Then hopefully onof Miller or Minnott can become a true rotation player. And ideally we draft a PG to grrom with our 1st round pick.

I’m not denying Towns has value. But that’s why he’s a good trade candidate. I’m not one of those fans who propose pie in the sky trades. I know you have to give up something to get something. I especially want a draft pick or picks in the deal too. Not being a menaingful player in draft post-Rudy depresses me.

Towns has value but he’s an enigma. I’m tired of trying to figure out. Let some other team do it.

And they were 14-6 without Towns this year. That’s almost the same as their % with him, so they did okay, and that was subtracting Towns and adding nothing.
Post #: 11
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/3/2024 12:32:54 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

Can Connelly turn Minott/Miller/Garza and our 1st/2nd into filling those needs?

If you mean both a starting PF and a starting PG, then absolutely not. If you mean either, probably not.

Garza is not a regular rotation player in the NBA. We don't know enough about Miller and Minott yet. Miller has talent, but he needs to show maturity and that he can impact winning. He was not able to earn any real minutes this year. Minott has a non-guaranteed deal, so its possible he's not even on the team next season.
Post #: 12
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/3/2024 12:38:23 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Then hopefully onof Miller or Minnott can become a true rotation player. And ideally we draft a PG to grrom with our 1st round pick.

I’m not denying Towns has value. But that’s why he’s a good trade candidate. I’m not one of those fans who propose pie in the sky trades. I know you have to give up something to get something. I especially want a draft pick or picks in the deal too. Not being a menaingful player in draft post-Rudy depresses me.

Towns has value but he’s an enigma. I’m tired of trying to figure out. Let some other team do it.

And they were 14-6 without Towns this year. That’s almost the same as their % with him, so they did okay, and that was subtracting Towns and adding nothing.

Means nothing to me. Most of it was at the end of the year and its far too small of a sample size to glean anything. (Plus 8 of the 14 Wins were against teams that missed the Playoffs). We struggled in the Playoffs when KAT struggled and we thrived in the Playoffs when KAT thrived.

I really don't care about draft picks. I remember the internet was crazy over the idea of trading KAT for Scoot Henderson at last year's draft. That would've been an absolute disaster and set this team back years.

Getting younger doesn't help us. Getting better does. Sure if you can get the #1 overall pick along with Dejounte Murray and Jalen Johnson for KAT, I do that. But the pick is the 3rd most important piece coming back in that deal.

What's a good KAT trade in your opinion?

< Message edited by David Levine -- 6/3/2024 12:52:04 PM >
Post #: 13
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/3/2024 2:13:34 PM   
Phil Riewer

When you get down to the final 4 some of the players that got you there get exposed.
The Good Bad and Ugly of our bigs against Dallas bigs.....it may happen to Boston also.

The Wolves were too dependent on KAT and Naz's efficiency on offense and Rudy's defense dominance during the season. The FO, coaches and players now will have an offseason to come up with players or a plan to combat it.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 6/3/2024 2:18:47 PM >

Post #: 14
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/3/2024 3:41:07 PM   
Bill Jandro

Darius Garland could be on the block. But he is as inconsistent as KAT. It would allow us to shed some salary as that Garland is at 40ml per vs KAT's 50ml per. Not sure how the money works though.

I think I'd refrain from this trade idea but it does make some sense for us. But at this juncture KAT is clearly the better player and this trade makes us a worse team.

< Message edited by Bill Jandro -- 6/3/2024 3:44:18 PM >

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 15
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/3/2024 4:01:46 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

Darius Garland could be on the block. But he is as inconsistent as KAT. It would allow us to shed some salary as that Garland is at 40ml per vs KAT's 50ml per. Not sure how the money works though.

I think I'd refrain from this trade idea but it does make some sense for us. But at this juncture KAT is clearly the better player and this trade makes us a worse team.

Garland isn't a Finch player. He's tiny - lacking the positional length that has become a standard under TC/SC

He also misses at least a dozen games every year.
Post #: 16
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/3/2024 4:39:58 PM   
Phil Riewer

Andrew
@InfraRen
·
22m
Worth every penny
Evan Sidery
@esidery
·
27m
Tim Connelly is expected to stay with the Timberwolves long-term on a restructured contract, per @ShamsCharania on @RunItBackFDTV.

Connelly could make upwards of $15 million per year in Minnesota moving forward as the architect of their roster.

Post #: 17
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/3/2024 4:48:47 PM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

Good or realistic? Good can mean a lot of things.

At minimum, a good, ‘true’ point guard capable of sharing minutes with Conley and potential to take over starting role eventually, and a high draft pick. And whatever other bullshit needs to be added in make the trade work. They may end up contributing or may not, but I’d trust Connelly to at least come up with auxiliaries pieces that aren’t complete junk. Nobody thought NAW was anything more than a throw-in at the time either.
Post #: 18
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/3/2024 5:02:20 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

At minimum, a good, ‘true’ point guard capable of sharing minutes with Conley and potential to take over starting role eventually, and a high draft pick. And whatever other bullshit needs to be added in make the trade work. They may end up contributing or may not, but I’d trust Connelly to at least come up with auxiliaries pieces that aren’t complete junk. Nobody thought NAW was anything more than a throw-in at the time either.

So you've got nothing? Just some general archetypes, but no suggested way to improve the team other than getting rid of KAT?

I was a huge fan of getting NAW in the D'Lo trade. I was a fan of his going back to his draft. He was horribly miscast on the Hornets as a scorer, but he had quietly remade himself completely in Utah, but his strengths were less obvious on a bad team.
Post #: 19
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/3/2024 5:25:36 PM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

quote:

quote:

So you've got nothing? Just some general archetypes, but no suggested way to improve the team other than getting rid of KAT?

I was a huge fan of getting NAW in the D'Lo trade. I was a fan of his going back to his draft. He was horribly miscast on the Hornets as a scorer, but he had quietly remade himself completely in Utah, but his strengths were less obvious on a bad team.

Yep. I’m a big picture guy. I leave the details to my staff.
Post #: 20
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/3/2024 5:30:37 PM   
David Levine

Gotcha. We're basically in "Underpants Gnome" territory.
Post #: 21
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/4/2024 7:36:00 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yep. I’m a big picture guy. I leave the details to my staff.

We have a bold and innovative guy too as our boss....lol

Post #: 22
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/5/2024 12:15:27 AM   
David Levine

So apparently they pushed the option back a year.

Smart by TC to keep the out until after the ownership dispute is settled:

Shams Charania@ShamsCharania
After run to the Western Conference Finals, the Minnesota Timberwolves and president Tim Connelly have agreed to a restructured contract, locking him in for the 2024-25 season, sources tell me and
@JonKrawczynski. Connelly’s opt-out clause has been moved to next year.

Jon Krawczynski@JonKrawczynski
Connelly could have opted out now with the ownership situation in flux. This agreement allows him and the Wolves to focus on a critical summer while also giving Connelly some flexibility to see how the fight between Glen Taylor and Marc Lore/Alex Rodriguez will play out.
Post #: 23
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/6/2024 7:16:25 AM   
Karl Juhnke

Yes logical move for Connelly to stick it out another year. The team is a contender, he’s being paid very well. Where is he going to find a more attractive situation? Sit tight for a year and see how the ownership saga plays out.
Post #: 24
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/6/2024 9:03:18 AM   
Bill Jandro

Hopefully Connelly stays long term. He might already be the best POBO we've ever had.

Not sure why he wouldn't but keeping your options open is never a bad thing. If Glen retains the team and goes cheap he may want out. It's also unclear if Alore have deep enough pockets.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 25
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode