Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/6/2024 2:18:52 PM   
David Levine

I don't think cash will be a problem for the Lore-ARod group:

quote:

Billionaire businessman and former three-term New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg has reached an agreement to join the prospective Minnesota Timberwolves ownership group of Marc Lore and Alex Rodriguez, league sources briefed on the agreement tell The Athletic.

Bloomberg, ranked by Forbes in April as the 12th-richest person in the world, brings a major investor to the Lore-Rodriguez group, which currently owns nearly 40 percent of the Timberwolves and WNBA’s Lynx and is in a battle with Glen Taylor for majority control of the franchises.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5545916/2024/06/06/michael-bloomberg-marc-lore-alex-rodriguez-ownership/
Post #: 26
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/6/2024 2:29:29 PM   
David Levine

quote:

Together, the consortium is moving forward with plans to pay the luxury tax next season and beyond, league sources said, if that is what is recommended by president of basketball operations Tim Connelly to support a team that made the Western Conference finals for the first time in 20 years.

quote:

Lore and Rodriguez have said throughout the ordeal that the money to complete the third tranche purchase for majority control is all ready to go. That $600-plus million would be used to bring their holdings to 80 percent of the franchises while also buying out all of Taylor’s limited partners. That would leave Taylor with a final 20 percent stake in the franchise that they could buy anytime before March 2025.

Adding Bloomberg to the group would allow them to go forward immediately with a final $300-plus million investment to buy out Taylor rather than waiting until the end of next season, league sources said, if things break in their favor.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5545916/2024/06/06/michael-bloomberg-marc-lore-alex-rodriguez-ownership/
Post #: 27
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/6/2024 3:44:33 PM   
Karl Juhnke

He was a weird short lived presidential candidate, which he blew through hundreds of millions of his own dollars on and never gained any traction. But his money is welcome as a NBA owner partner. Hop aboard.
Post #: 28
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/6/2024 4:00:58 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

He was a weird short lived presidential candidate, which he blew through hundreds of millions of his own dollars on and never gained any traction. But his money is welcome as a NBA owner partner. Hop aboard.

Over 1 Billion in 104 days.
Post #: 29
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/6/2024 4:09:24 PM   
Karl Juhnke

Holy shit. He's worth $106B now. 13th richest person in the world.
Post #: 30
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/7/2024 7:21:40 AM   
TJSweens

Unbelievable! The comments in the strib story is full of rubes claiming that this just proves that Lore and A-Rod didn't have the money to begin with. They don't seem to get that Lore is worth $1.2 billion more than Glen.

< Message edited by TJSweens -- 6/7/2024 7:26:30 AM >

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 31
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/7/2024 11:40:19 AM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

Unbelievable! The comments in the strib story is full of rubes claiming that this just proves that Lore and A-Rod didn't have the money to begin with. They don't seem to get that Lore is worth $1.2 billion more than Glen.

But how much of it is liquid? If you count my home equity, retirement funds, etc. I'm 'worth' several hundred thousand dollars. But it's not like I could write someone a check for it.
Post #: 32
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/7/2024 11:58:11 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

But how much of it is liquid? If you count my home equity, retirement funds, etc. I'm 'worth' several hundred thousand dollars. But it's not like I could write someone a check for it.

That's why these guys pair with capital firms to do these deals, like e every other owner including Taylor. Lore and A-Roid had a deal in place with an NBA pre-approved private capital firm. T/L absolutely had the money.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 33
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/7/2024 12:09:12 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

Even before Bloomberg joined, they've had Eric Schmidt and his 20.6B as part of their ownership group.
Post #: 34
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/10/2024 9:32:29 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

That's why these guys pair with capital firms to do these deals, like e every other owner including Taylor. Lore and A-Roid had a deal in place with an NBA pre-approved private capital firm. T/L absolutely had the money.

Weird...why were they always behind in their payments then? (If they had the money). There was something sketchy there and even Doogie/Darren Wolfson mentioned it multiple times.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 35
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/11/2024 10:51:35 AM   
Pauldiercks1

Kat has always been a wild card for me. If we could trade him for a star point guard, I'd do it and not look back. Naz Reid can take on an added role and we can add another big.
Kat brings a lot to the team but he has weaknesses in his game it sometimes seems he's clueless about. If he dribbles into heavy traffic I can call a turnover. You can see it coming before it occurs. He falls down dang near every time he goes to the hoop and his defense is still Meh. Still at times holds the ball too long.
He made great strides this season and I really enjoyed his progress. When left open he can have a huge impact, when guarded closely at the three point area his effectiveness goes way down imo. I have no stats to back this up just my observation.
I think a star guard with Connelly backing up would really do great things for this team.
I wonder if Dallas exposed our two big offense? At times they were made to look foolish by going right at them.
Post #: 36
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/13/2024 9:20:15 AM  1 votes
TJSweens

Sorry. My pettiness is really showing through, but...

I'm really enjoying Dallas being down 3-0.

I really,really enjoyed Luka the Bitch melting down and almost fouling himself out last night.

Post #: 37
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/17/2024 2:05:31 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

Sorry. My pettiness is really showing through, but...
I'm really enjoying Dallas being down 3-0.
I really,really enjoyed Luka the Bitch melting down and almost fouling himself out last night.

I feel the same even though it is weird to want Boston to win it all despite being my 80s Lakers and Philly foes.

Post #: 38
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/17/2024 5:11:03 PM   
Steve Lentz

Most either love or hate the Celtics. I got to see Bird play a couple times in college and became a Celtic fan the minute he got drafted.
Wolves are my team, but Boston is always my fall back to team.

Regarding Luka, he is as good as they come. I wonder how long his career will be though. Seems like he could be a much better conditioned athlete.
How long will he be able to play?

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 39
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/17/2024 10:05:34 PM   
Steve Lentz

Celtic Pride!!!!!!!
Lead the NBA with 18 Championships!!!!

Post #: 40
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/18/2024 9:20:22 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Lentz

Celtic Pride!!!!!!!
Lead the NBA with 18 Championships!!!!

Definitely not a Celtic fan but they were the best team.

Not really a fan of the modern Euro, 5 Out, illegal screen till the worst defender is guarding best player, offense. But, I guess if that is what the new generation and casual fan likes, so be it.

When guys like Parrish, McHale, Kareem, Olajuwon, Moses, Sikma, Wilt, Shaq and countless other past stars would be liabilities(can't shoot 3 or guard on perimeter), I don't think that is good basketball. JMO.

KAT had a great low post game at Kentucky and he was a rim protector there. Now he has turned into a 3 point shooter and driver. And is way less effective.
Post #: 41
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/18/2024 10:38:14 PM   
marty

Are the Wolves a Jrue Holiday type pickup away from having a Championship team ?

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 42
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/20/2024 7:48:21 PM   
Steve Lentz

OKC just got better today. This team will be a problem for years.

Post #: 43
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/20/2024 7:58:44 PM   
David Levine

quote:

Its...fine?

Its a decent trade for both teams. Bulls get a guy who didn't fit in OKC, but still has interesting upside. OKC adds a 3&D guard who is very good at his role when he's healthy.

But the Thunder still didn't address their glaring weaknesses - rebounding and defending size.
Post #: 44
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/20/2024 8:18:34 PM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

Its...fine?

Its a decent trade for both teams. Bulls get a guy who didn't fit in OKC, but still has interesting upside. OKC adds a 3&D guard who is very good at his role when he's healthy.

But the Thunder still didn't address their glaring weaknesses - rebounding and defending size.

They have the 12h pick to improve that issue.

Post #: 45
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/21/2024 8:48:01 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

Its...fine?

I still like Conelly fixing our issues at time by inches.

Post #: 46
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/21/2024 4:24:56 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

Its...fine?

They could've done that last year when they drafted Lively. But they traded him for another guard in Caruso's mold. So now last year's 10th pick is behind SGA, Williams, Caruso and Dort on the depth chart.
Post #: 47
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/24/2024 5:38:33 PM   
David Levine

Woj:

ESPN Sources: Minnesota Timberwolves coach Chris Finch has agreed on a four-year contract extension through the 2027-‘28 season. Finch led the franchise to the Western Conference Finals — his third straight postseason trip.
Post #: 48
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/26/2024 7:37:59 AM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

Woj:

ESPN Sources: Minnesota Timberwolves coach Chris Finch has agreed on a four-year contract extension through the 2027-‘28 season. Finch led the franchise to the Western Conference Finals — his third straight postseason trip.

Good for him. I heard him talking about it yesterday in his weekly appearance with PA. He talked about him and his staff making it a positive place to want to come in and work. He has a rare combination of being solid in the basketball department plus having the respect of the players and dealing with all the various issues of the modern athlete.
Post #: 49
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/26/2024 7:44:17 AM   
Karl Juhnke

I’ve now seen multiple mock drafts with the Timberwolves selecting G Baylor Scheierman from Creighton.

Seems like the Doncic effect. A tall slow guard who’s a good shooter, has sneaky but effective Slo-mo like moves, weak defender.

I don’t see any specific reason why the Wolves in particular would be looking for that. I think it’s more about where he’s expected to fall in the draft.
Post #: 50
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode