Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/26/2024 9:19:25 AM   
twinsfan

I hope we draft Bronny James and sign LeBron for league minimum. We'd immediately become the favorites to win in all next season.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 51
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/26/2024 10:34:59 AM   
David Levine

LeBron is not turning down 100M+ to move to Minnesota.
Post #: 52
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/26/2024 12:03:10 PM   
Karl Juhnke

As far as I’ve seen, this Lebron will play for league minimum just to play with Bronny stuff is all fan speculation with no basis in fact. No actual source besides “wouldn’t it be cool if..”

< Message edited by Karl Juhnke -- 6/26/2024 4:27:49 PM >
Post #: 53
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/26/2024 1:46:07 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

As far as I’ve seen, this Lebron will play for league minimum just play with Bronny stuff is all fan speculation with no basis in fact. No actual source besides “wouldn’t it be cool if..”

Both he and Rich Paul have publicly denied it.
Post #: 54
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/26/2024 5:11:24 PM   
David Levine

I'll get in my picks before the draft starts.

27: Baylor Scheierman. Outstanding movement shooter. Excellent rebounder and passer. Not the best athlete, but solid defensively because he's really smart. Reminds me of Joe Ingles.

37: In the 2nd I think there are a couple older "sleepers" that could help as soon as this year. I was looking for "connectors" who could fill the SloMo role. Guys that are big enough to defend the players McDaniels struggles with, can move the ball and run some offense and hopefully have to be defended.

Harrison Ingram feels like a more athletic (but shorter) SloMo. 6'6, 234, 7' Wingspan. Really smart player. Very good passer. Can slot in and handle multiple positions on both ends.

If Keyshad Johnson's shooting from last year is real, he could be an absolute steal.
Post #: 55
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/26/2024 5:34:34 PM   
Steve Lentz

Watched Scheierman for 2 years at Creighton. Can shoot and pass with the best of them.
Not real quick, but a very smart player. Works hard and loves to compete. Will battle at the boards,
but not great one on one defender. Good leader. Don't think he will last to our pick.

< Message edited by Steve Lentz -- 6/26/2024 5:37:03 PM >

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 56
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/26/2024 8:02:40 PM   
David Levine

WOW...

Adrian Wojnarowski@wojespn
Minnesota has traded for the eighth pick and Rob Dillingham, source tells ESPN.
Post #: 57
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/26/2024 8:04:37 PM   
David Levine

That's all??

The Timberwolves are trading a 2031 unprotected first and a protected 2030 pick swap to the Spurs for Dillingham, source tells ESPN.
Post #: 58
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/26/2024 8:21:10 PM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

That's all??

The Timberwolves are trading a 2031 unprotected first and a protected 2030 pick swap to the Spurs for Dillingham, source tells ESPN.

Hard to believe?

Post #: 59
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/26/2024 8:24:41 PM   
Steve Lentz

Jonathan Wasserman Scouting Report

Team: Kentucky

Position: PG/SG

Size: 6'3", 176 lbs

Age/Year: 19, Freshman

Nationality: American

Pro Comparison: Darius Garland

Scouting Report: There isn't a more creative and shift ball-handler in the class than Dillingham, who's also a potent shotmaker on and off the ball. NBA teams see a microwave scorer, but scouts are still on the fence about how well he can balance playmaking with shot-hunting. Scouts see multiple potential outcomes: Either a scoring lead ball-handler, a combo guard at the 2 spot or a sixth man bench spark.

Post #: 60
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/26/2024 8:33:41 PM   
David Levine

6'3 is VERY generous...

He's small.
Post #: 61
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/26/2024 8:34:01 PM   
David Levine

O-Connor:

Electric bucket-getter who is starting to develop as a playmaker.

PLUSES
Dynamic shot creator who uses shifty change-of-direction moves to slither wherever he wants on the floor. He can get into the paint for runners and crafty layups, or pull up from behind the arc.

Drained nearly half of his catch-and-shoot 3s this season, hitting them both off movement and in standard spot-ups. Add in his willingness to cut, or even set an occasional screen, and he could be extremely dangerous off of screens and handoffs if paired with a playmaking big.

Skilled playmaker who can smoothly make passes off the dribble, including cross-court kickouts and lefty wraparounds to cutters. Within the flow of the offense, he makes quick decisions and keeps the ball moving.

Becoming more of a willing passer. He’s passed out of the pick-and-roll in 57 percent of possessions at Kentucky, up from 43 percent of the time with the Overtime Elite. This is a critical step in his development, after he looked like a wild, unreliable creator at Donda Academy. By changing his game, he shows a willingness to adapt and fit into a team concept.

Plays with effort—bordering on recklessness—on defense, chasing shooters through screens and handoffs, or helping swipe at the ball.

MINUSES
Active but erratic defender who too often falls out of position by getting handsy, lost, or simply lacking the understanding of what an opponent is doing. His fundamentals need to dramatically improve because there's no way to solve his lack of size.

Measured at only 6-foot-1 with Overtime Elite. Not only is he short, but he has a slight frame and is unlikely to be able to add a ton of muscle. Even if he’s focused on defense, his lack of size will always be an issue.

Needs to improve his passing accuracy if he’s going to run an NBA offense. He regularly swings the ball to teammates, but they need to reach for it, which can throw them off their rhythm getting into a shot. He’s flat-out missed on some lobs, too. It’s as if he passes the ball to the area he assumes his teammate is going to be, rather than actually reading the floor.

Will he be able to finish as well at the NBA level? He’s been solid in college, but pro length will be a new challenge. Learning how to draw fouls would also go a long way toward improving his interior scoring.

nbadraft.theringer.com/
Post #: 62
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/26/2024 8:34:28 PM   
David Levine

Givony/Woo:

8. Rob Dillingham | PG | Kentucky

6-1 | Age: 19.4 | Previously ranked: 7

Strengths: Dillingham is the most dynamic scoring guard in this draft. His combination of shiftiness, ballhandling, passing and shot-making prowess showed vividly off the bench at Kentucky. He averaged 15.2 points in 23.3 minutes per game.

Weaknesses: He lacks the ideal size and physicality to absorb contact in the lane and hold his own defensively, as he has only a 6-3 wingspan with a frame under 170 pounds.

The verdict: Long known for his ability to heat up in a hurry at the prep level, Dillingham backed that up with efficient perimeter shot-making and steady decision-making as a passer and scorer in his lone season in the SEC. Even if he faces an uphill battle defensively, his offensive gifts give him some of the biggest star power of any prospect in this class.
Post #: 63
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/26/2024 8:52:15 PM   
Karl Juhnke

Wow. I’ll take it. Trying to figure out what Spurs motivation is for making such a deal. I don’t recall a team ever kicking a draft pick that far down the road before with no other considerations.

< Message edited by Karl Juhnke -- 6/26/2024 8:54:14 PM >
Post #: 64
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/26/2024 9:13:20 PM   
David Levine

Used his NIL money to buy houses for his Mother and his Sister and her family.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSoLkKl-MZs&t=4s
Post #: 65
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/26/2024 9:15:44 PM   
Karl Juhnke

Just checked out some highlight videos. I learned long ago not to base projections on highlight videos but just wanted to see what kind of player he was. I like his style. Scrappy, active, high energy.
Post #: 66
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/26/2024 10:18:38 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Lentz

Watched Scheierman for 2 years at Creighton. Can shoot and pass with the best of them.
Not real quick, but a very smart player. Works hard and loves to compete. Will battle at the boards,
but not great one on one defender. Good leader. Don't think he will last to our pick.

He did. And we let Boston get him.
Post #: 67
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/26/2024 10:28:03 PM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

quote:

Post #: 68
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/27/2024 7:14:52 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

You don't like Shannon JR.?

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 69
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/27/2024 7:33:31 AM   
Phil Riewer

Pierre Noujaim
@TheNoujFOX9
Tim Connelly brought in Kwesi Odofo-Mensah & Derek Falvey to pick their brains on doing a multi day draft.

Falvey just told us it was his first time sitting in a draft room for another sport. Says it was wild to see how fast Tim’s brain was working during the draft.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 70
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/27/2024 7:59:18 AM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

You don't like Shannon JR.?

Was not one of my favorites. More athlete than skill and a bit selfish. If he was 19 instead of 24, I’d like his upside a lot more.

I think he has a chance to stick as a bench scorer if his offense translates.
Post #: 71
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/27/2024 8:35:51 AM   
TJSweens

Age is the only real concern I have about Shannon. He turns 24 toward the end of July and that's a definite strike against him. His athleticism jumps off the page, but I think he demonstrates a good amount of basketball skill as well. I watched a fair amount of Big Ten ball this year and Shannon impressed me as someone who makes a lot of hustle plays and sells out his body to do make them. He won a ton battles for the loose ball. Maybe a bit selfish, but I think that's the kind of thing that Finch and the Wolves team culture can iron out.

I think he could find his way into the rotation fairly early. If he continues to polish his 3 point shot, he could emerge as a good rotational 3 and D wing. That would be a pretty solid pick up with the 27th pick.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 72
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/27/2024 8:44:08 AM   
TJSweens

I gotta laugh at some of the grades. There seems to be a trend of grading the Dillingham pick as a B because 8 was too high to draft him. The Wolves didn't use the 8th pick to get him. They used an undefined first round pick, 6 years down the road to get him. The Spurs were the team in the pick range for Dillingham that was willing to trade their pick...and they sold it cheap. My compliments to Connelly for being bold. Trading up in the first was the only avenue the Wolves had to add meaningful talent.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 73
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/27/2024 9:01:48 AM   
Karl Juhnke

Size seems like the biggest knock on Dillingham. And while it’s true that may always prevent him from being an elite defender, if someone has a decent motor and smarts he can be proficient enough. You don’t want a whole roster of ‘proficient enoughs’, but you can mix a couple into the rotation if their upsides are worth it.

And let’s get to the important stuff. How many draftees get featured in Vogue? https://www.vogue.com/slideshow/rob-dillingham-2024-nba-draft-fashion

That suit was dope AF or whatever the kids say now.
Post #: 74
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/27/2024 9:31:37 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

Size seems like the biggest knock on Dillingham. And while it’s true that may always prevent him from being an elite defender, if someone has a decent motor and smarts he can be proficient enough. You don’t want a whole roster of ‘proficient enoughs’, but you can mix a couple into the rotation if their upsides are worth it.

And let’s get to the important stuff. How many draftees get featured in Vogue? https://www.vogue.com/slideshow/rob-dillingham-2024-nba-draft-fashion

That suit was dope AF or whatever the kids say now.

I don't know much about him, but a lot of profiles and draft pick reviews on Dillingham seem to start with...most dynamic scorer in the draft. Seems like that water bug style PG, who can weave through the lane and dish or score.

The slight frame is a concern, but there are a few PG that came into the league with that same knock who have done quite well

Post #: 75
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode