Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/27/2024 9:54:43 AM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

Size seems like the biggest knock on Dillingham. And while it’s true that may always prevent him from being an elite defender, if someone has a decent motor and smarts he can be proficient enough. You don’t want a whole roster of ‘proficient enoughs’, but you can mix a couple into the rotation if their upsides are worth it.

And let’s get to the important stuff. How many draftees get featured in Vogue? https://www.vogue.com/slideshow/rob-dillingham-2024-nba-draft-fashion

That suit was dope AF or whatever the kids say now.

I don't know much about him, but a lot of profiles and draft pick reviews on Dillingham seem to start with...most dynamic scorer in the draft. Seems like that water bug style PG, who can weave through the lane and dish or score.

The slight frame is a concern, but there are a few PG that came into the league with that same knock who have done quite wellt

Chris Paul comes to mind. Not a comparison, just an example.

< Message edited by Karl Juhnke -- 6/27/2024 9:57:00 AM >
Post #: 76
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/27/2024 9:58:07 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

Size seems like the biggest knock on Dillingham. And while it’s true that may always prevent him from being an elite defender, if someone has a decent motor and smarts he can be proficient enough. You don’t want a whole roster of ‘proficient enoughs’, but you can mix a couple into the rotation if their upsides are worth it.

And let’s get to the important stuff. How many draftees get featured in Vogue? https://www.vogue.com/slideshow/rob-dillingham-2024-nba-draft-fashion

I don't know much about him, but a lot of profiles and draft pick reviews on Dillingham seem to start with...most dynamic scorer in the draft. Seems like that water bug style PG, who can weave through the lane and dish or score.

The slight frame is a concern, but there are a few PG that came into the league with that same knock who have done quite wellt

Stef Curry at 174 lbs

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 77
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/27/2024 10:13:53 AM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Stef Curry at 174 lbs

Hell look no further than Mike Conley.
Post #: 78
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/27/2024 10:19:33 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Stef Curry at 174 lbs

Next pick is a stash or trade away then?

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 79
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/27/2024 10:23:52 AM   
David Levine

The difference with Dillingham is his slight frame and short arms.

Conley was strong as hell and had 3" more wingspan.

The closest physical comp I can come up with is Trae Young - and he was 12 pounds heavier at the combine.

He's going to get hunted on defense and he needs to stay healthy. Hopefully his offense will more than make up for his defense. And hopefully he'll at least put effort into that side of the floor - unlike Young.
Post #: 80
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/27/2024 10:27:55 AM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Stef Curry at 174 lbs

Next pick is a stash or trade away then?

I wouldn't be shocked if we keep the pick. My guess is we let all our FAs (KA, Morris, McLaughlin, maybe Minott) with Dillingham counting as 28M in salary this year alone.

So unless KA or Morris come back for the vet minimum, we're going to need cheap bodies.

If we draft and stash, I'd guess it'll be Juan Nunez. We had him in twice.
Post #: 81
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/27/2024 10:44:52 AM   
David Levine

As much as I love NAW, I could easily see Shannon being his replacement after the season. He has a chance to be a supercharged version of NAW at a much more affordable price.
Post #: 82
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/27/2024 11:03:11 AM   
Phil Riewer

2nd most amazing thing (to moving up to 8 for literally a pick 6 years away) is that Falvey and Kwesit hung with Conelly during the draft.

Post #: 83
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/27/2024 11:04:22 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

Givony/Woo:

8. Rob Dillingham | PG | Kentucky

6-1 | Age: 19.4 | Previously ranked: 7

Strengths: Dillingham is the most dynamic scoring guard in this draft. His combination of shiftiness, ballhandling, passing and shot-making prowess showed vividly off the bench at Kentucky. He averaged 15.2 points in 23.3 minutes per game.

Weaknesses: He lacks the ideal size and physicality to absorb contact in the lane and hold his own defensively, as he has only a 6-3 wingspan with a frame under 170 pounds.

The verdict: Long known for his ability to heat up in a hurry at the prep level, Dillingham backed that up with efficient perimeter shot-making and steady decision-making as a passer and scorer in his lone season in the SEC. Even if he faces an uphill battle defensively, his offensive gifts give him some of the biggest star power of any prospect in this class.

He reminds me of AI.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 84
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/27/2024 11:08:48 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

Givony/Woo:

Strengths: Dillingham is the most dynamic scoring guard in this draft. His combination of shiftiness, ballhandling, passing and shot-making prowess showed vividly off the bench at Kentucky. He averaged 15.2 points in 23.3 minutes per game.

Weaknesses: He lacks the ideal size and physicality to absorb contact in the lane and hold his own defensively, as he has only a 6-3 wingspan with a frame under 170 pounds.

The verdict: Long known for his ability to heat up in a hurry at the prep level, Dillingham backed that up with efficient perimeter shot-making and steady decision-making as a passer and scorer in his lone season in the SEC. Even if he faces an uphill battle defensively, his offensive gifts give him some of the biggest star power of any prospect in this class.

He reminds me of AI.

If he is anything like AI or Trace Young.....great pick.

Post #: 85
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/27/2024 11:13:13 AM   
Phil Riewer

Dane Moore
@DaneMooreNBA
If Rob Dillingham’s ability to live dribble pull-up from 3 translates to the NBA, teams are going to have to bring the big up to switch or put two on the ball/double him in pick and roll. And switching a big onto him is going to be tough because Dillingham is quick — so we probably see two on the ball a lot.

If they put two on the ball, the defender guarding the guy in the corner has to come over to the rim as low-man rim protection — something they’ll especially have to do if Gobert or Reid is the rolling big (KAT doesn’t roll well). So to be effective against that pick and roll defensive coverage, as a guard, your read becomes the pass to the corner the low-man left — theoretically Towns or Reid for the Wolves.

Just running through some of these clips, that pass to the corner appears to already be in his bag.

Tim Connelly repeatedly said last night that they think Dillingham’s playmaking is underrated. I think this is what he’s getting at: if he’s a problem as a bucket-getter, the defense will have to adjust, and Dillingham showed ability to create for others against adjusted/shifted defenses.

Here’s one of the things Connelly said about Dillingham as a playmaker last night:

“I think what jumped out at us is sometimes the guys who look like him at first glance tend to play selfish basketball -- over-dribble, don't make quick decisions. He's a quick decision-maker and I think his IQ is elite. And the playmaking, not just looking at highlights but really digging into the analytics, we were kinda really impressed by a guy that can balance that. 15 points a game in 21 minutes. 6 assists per 36. In pick and roll, he's more apt to pass than shoot. The more we dug, the more impressed we were."

Post #: 86
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/27/2024 11:14:08 AM   
Phil Riewer

Dane Moore
@DaneMooreNBA
I need to watch more of Terrence Shannon Jr. to better get to know his game. But from a salary cap standpoint, I like the move to keep the late 1st, even after trading for Dillingham.

The Wolves are going to sign Shannon to a 4-year, $13M rookie scale contract -- and he'll be 24-27 years old while on that contract.
24-25: $2.6M
25-26: $2.7M
26-27: $2.8M
27-28: $5.0M

No guarantee he becomes anything, but they're getting a player about to enter his prime on a deal that pays him just a little more than a minimum contract. (Same would have been true for Scheierman.)

Kinda like how an all-offense-no-defense guy in Dillingham fits the Wolves context, so does an older prospect like Shannon on a rookie contract. The issues they both have just make a little more sense here than they would in different team contexts.

Post #: 87
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/27/2024 11:19:51 AM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

Givony/Woo:

He reminds me of AI.

AI, absolutely.

Trae Young, God no. Flashy, but does absolutely nothing to help his team win.
Post #: 88
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/27/2024 11:33:03 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Givony/Woo:

He reminds me of AI.

AI, absolutely.

Trae Young, God no. Flashy, but does absolutely nothing to help his team win.

I like the way I think.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 89
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/27/2024 11:44:39 AM  2 votes
Karl Juhnke

quote:

quote:

Givony/Woo:

He reminds me of AI.

AI? No I can assure you he's real.
Post #: 90
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/27/2024 11:49:29 AM   
David Levine

Winner: Minnesota Timberwolves

Tim Connelly just might be a basketball genius. After building a championship foundation with the Denver Nuggets, he reshaped the Minnesota Timberwolves to make this year’s Western Conference finals. And now this offseason is off to a tremendous start. Connelly made an aggressive trade by moving a top-one-protected first-round swap in 2030 and an unprotected first in 2031 for the no. 8 pick in this year’s draft, where the Wolves selected Kentucky point guard Rob Dillingham.

After losing to the Dallas Mavericks, the Timberwolves knew they badly needed to add more shot creation before next season, and Dillingham is the best shot creator in the entire class. He’s a shifty presence and is capable of firing jumpers from anywhere. Anthony Edwards alone became a must-watch player during the playoffs. Pair him with Dillingham, and they could be absolutely electric. The Kentucky guard isn’t just a bucket getter. As a freshman, he began developing his playmaking, something that didn’t happen before, when he was with Overtime Elite or Donda Academy. And what’s Dillingham best at as a passer? Throwing lobs. That’s good news for Rudy Gobert.

Mike Conley will turn 37 years old before next season. Dillingham will probably take a back seat at first, but with all of Minnesota’s length protecting his tiny frame on defense, it wouldn’t be a shocker if he’s earning big minutes sooner rather than later.

Oh, by the way: The Wolves also used the no. 27 pick on Terrence Shannon Jr., who averaged 23 points at Illinois this past season and is a relentless downhill attacker. Shannon will provide more creation off Minnesota’s bench, and with his toned 220-pound frame and 6-foot-9 wingspan, he’s displayed flashes of super-versatile defense. There’s a chance that both will immediately be plugged into the Wolves’ rotation.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2024/6/27/24187198/nba-draft-2024-winners-losers-zaccharie-risacher-los-angeles-lakers
Post #: 91
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/27/2024 11:54:29 AM   
David Levine

8 Minnesota Timberwolves: Rob Dillingham - Kentucky, Freshman

Grade: A

By the end of Minnesota’s postseason run to the Western Conference finals, the team’s need for a point guard who could give reserve units a jolt was clear. Trading up into the lottery was an audacious choice for the Timberwolves, but it’s easy to see the vision. This draft is full of theoretical skill sets without the star upside. And in a draft like that, you take the player who does have that potential. Dillingham is a pure hooper oasis. No player in this draft can match Dillingham’s combination of deep shooting range and creative ballhandling ability—he has the skills to be an effective pick-and-roll scorer from the jump. He is nowhere near as refined a facilitator as Trae Young or Darius Garland—players that Dillingham will invariably draw comparisons to because of his frame—but he has rare explosive leaping ability for a player of that stature. Dillingham’s size will always be a hindrance on defense, but luckily he’s joining the best defense in the NBA. And all it took for a Western Conference giant to land its guy was a 2030 pick swap and a 2031 unprotected first-rounder—who knows if Earth will even be hospitable by then?

27 Minnesota Timberwolves: Terrence Shannon, Jr. - Illinois, Senior

Grade: B

There aren’t many wings in this class more explosively athletic than Shannon, which also could have been said about any of the past four drafts he could have conceivably been a part of. (This is another way of saying Shannon is 23.) While Shannon was an essential cog in Texas Tech’s elite defense in his three seasons in Lubbock, he refashioned himself as a go-to scorer in two seasons with Illinois. With his role scaled down in the NBA, hopefully some of his defensive tenacity will resurface. Regardless, Minnesota has upped its athleticism quotient massively tonight.

https://nbadraft.theringer.com/draft-grades?_ga=2.93853342.2092479053.1719506838-1265265739.1716236164
Post #: 92
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/27/2024 12:21:25 PM   
David Levine

Wolves trade Pick #37 and Wendell Moore Jr to Detroit for Pick #53.
Post #: 93
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/27/2024 12:23:24 PM   
David Levine

Dane Moore:

By replacing Wendell Moore Jr.'s $2.537M contract with a veteran minimum contract ($2.1M), the Wolves will save about $450k in salary -- which will also save them a couple million in luxury tax payments dependent on how far above the tax they finish the season out at.

But if they replace him with the No. 53 pick and sign that rookie to a rookie league minimum ($1.1M) they will save millions more.

This is a cost-cutting move.
Post #: 94
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/27/2024 12:26:50 PM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

Dane Moore:

By replacing Wendell Moore Jr.'s $2.537M contract with a veteran minimum contract ($2.1M), the Wolves will save about $450k in salary -- which will also save them a couple million in luxury tax payments dependent on how far above the tax they finish the season out at.

But if they replace him with the No. 53 pick and sign that rookie to a rookie league minimum ($1.1M) they will save millions more.

Yes, total business move. That makes sense. I hope Moore gets a legit chance with the Pistons. May work out for everyone.

All in all, a well executed draft by Connelly.

< Message edited by Karl Juhnke -- 6/27/2024 12:28:31 PM >
Post #: 95
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/27/2024 12:46:36 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

Dane Moore:

Good. Now we just need to re-sign Maren Morris.

< Message edited by twinsfan -- 6/27/2024 1:09:14 PM >

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 96
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/27/2024 12:47:53 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

Dane Moore:

Good. Now we just need to trade Maren Morris.

Monté Morris?

Why? He's a Free Agent.
Post #: 97
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/27/2024 1:58:33 PM   
David Levine

Givony's biggest winners from Round 1

Minnesota Timberwolves
The pick: Rob Dillingham (No. 8 via trade)

The Timberwolves made the most aggressive move of Round 1 by trading into the No. 8 spot to draft Dillingham. With starter Mike Conley turning 37 years old, president of basketball operations Tim Connelly knew he needed to be aggressive in finding the veteran point guard's successor. With Dillingham, Connelly has his own version of Kyrie Irving, who knocked the Timberwolves out of the playoffs in the Western Conference finals.

Dillingham is lightning in a bottle, ranking not only as one of the best scorers in this draft class already as a freshman, but also as an underrated passer who brings real creativity passing off a live dribble, a skill that he can continue to hone as his pro career moves forward. The fact he showed he can play off the ball, making 44% of his 3-pointers this season, will help him operate alongside a budding superstar in Anthony Edwards.

His biggest weakness, his defense, could be negated to an extent with NBA Defensive Player of the Year Rudy Gobert behind him.

What was your favorite trade of Round 1?
Woo: Minnesota trading a 2031 unprotected first and 2030 top-one-protected pick swap to San Antonio for Rob Dillingham
. It's way too early to say which team won this deal, but I loved the gutsiness from the Timberwolves to punt significant future draft capital to land a player who could be a dynamic backcourt partner for Anthony Edwards.

It's certainly a high-risk allocation of what significant draft capital the Wolves had left, but they have the defensive infrastructure to theoretically cover for Dillingham's lack of impact on that end. I also liked this decision for the Spurs, who acquired two valuable trade chips that will likely come in handy when San Antonio eventually decides to pursue another star to pair with Victor Wembanyama.

I have no idea who's going to come out looking better in this deal, but I mostly just love that it happened.

Which title contender helped itself the most?
Pelton: Minnesota Timberwolves

We'll see how well giving up a swap in 2030 and an unprotected pick in 2031 will work out for the Timberwolves, but unquestionably Rob Dillingham is the most talented player any title contender added on draft night, and I think he can help them off the bench as a rookie.

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/40433318/2024-nba-draft-round-1-winners-surprises-teams-picks-questions
Post #: 98
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/27/2024 2:03:32 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

Dane Moore:

Good. Now we just need to re-sign Maren Morris.

Uuggh you and your country thread...

Post #: 99
RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft - 6/27/2024 2:14:29 PM   
David Levine

I'm all in on Ulrich Chomche if he's there at 53. He's not going to be NBA ready for a couple years, but he can learn the game in Iowa.

He only played in 3 games last year (so grain of salt), but he averaged 13 PPG, 9 RPG, 3 BPG and he shot 38% on SEVEN 3PA/Game and 75% from the line.
Ulrich Chomche - NBA Academy, Cameroon

6'10.3, 7'4 wingspan, 232 pounds. 18.4 years old.

Shades of Serge Ibaka

A raw center with a massive ceiling who is the youngest prospect in this class.

PLUSES
Superb upside as an interior defender. He’s a long-armed athlete with excellent leaping ability, giving him amazing shot-blocking potential. And though he needs his frame to mature, he battles hard on post-ups.

Tremendous mobility moving laterally with the long-term potential to switch across positions and effectively defend in any pick-and-roll scheme.

Selfless big man who will set screens, roll hard, and facilitate by keeping the ball moving. He rebounds, boxes out, and runs the floor. He does what he’s asked to do in his limited role.

Flashes the ability to handle the ball in face-up situations. If he develops a jumper, his quick first step and fluidity could make him a threat on the attack.

MINUSES
Extremely raw defender who operates off instinct and covers up positional mistakes with his athleticism. To thrive at the next level, he’ll have to learn how to read situations, be in the right spot, and stay on his feet.

He’s clearly still learning the game. He sets way too many moving screens, and even as an at-rim finisher, he doesn’t try to go for dunks nearly enough for a player with his traits.

https://nbadraft.theringer.com/
Post #: 100
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Timbrwolves 2024 Off-Season and Draft Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode