Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) Page: <<   < prev  241 242 [243] 244 245   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 3/16/2019 3:13:16 PM   
bstinger

This game is OVAH.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 6051
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 3/16/2019 3:18:06 PM   
bstinger

That went sideways fast.

--twinsfan
Post #: 6052
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 3/16/2019 3:35:11 PM   
Bill Jandro

We stink

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 6053
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 3/16/2019 3:41:59 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

This game is OVAH.

Not so fast.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 6054
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 3/16/2019 3:43:09 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

They are a bad match up for us. Too much height for Murph to excel against. Having Stockman out is hurting.

Why is Stockman out?

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 6055
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 3/16/2019 3:44:05 PM   
twinsfan

Michigan is really lucky.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 6056
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 3/16/2019 4:05:10 PM   
bstinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

They are a bad match up for us. Too much height for Murph to excel against. Having Stockman out is hurting.

Why is Stockman out?

I believe I heard them say concussion symptoms.

--twinsfan
Post #: 6057
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 3/17/2019 11:58:47 AM   
Karl Juhnke

Lack of depth caught up to them. If all the stars align they can be competitive against Michigan as they showed earlier in the year when they almost beat them at Ann Arbor. But 3rd game in three days for a team being carried by two guys, plus having one big guy out to make them even thinner, it caught up to them.

This is a flawed team. They do play decent defense and they rebound OK and that keeps them in many games, but the offense is still just ugly.
Post #: 6058
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 3/17/2019 1:28:06 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

Why is Stockman out?

I believe I heard them say concussion symptoms.

He was boxing out a big the game before and took an elbow in the back of the head.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 6059
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 3/17/2019 2:46:40 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

Lack of depth caught up to them. If all the stars align they can be competitive against Michigan as they showed earlier in the year when they almost beat them at Ann Arbor. But 3rd game in three days for a team being carried by two guys, plus having one big guy out to make them even thinner, it caught up to them.

This is a flawed team. They do play decent defense and they rebound OK and that keeps them in many games, but the offense is still just ugly.

Does Pitino go out of his way to not recruit good shooters?

I don't have the B1N so I have only seen a few Gopher games this year but in all 3 our shooting is simply painful to watch.

Really sux Lynch screwed up. He really gave this team an identity with his defense.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 6060
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 3/17/2019 5:23:23 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

I don't have the B1N so I have only seen a few Gopher games this year but in all 3 our shooting is simply painful to watch.

Really sux Lynch screwed up. He really gave this team an identity with his defense.

Lynch was graduating no matter what last year....Curry is out with injuries. McBrayer had a stress fracture that limited his practice time all summer. Carr (a transfer from Pitt) wasn't allowed to play this year otherwise we would be a force. Crandall a graduate transfer who chose Gonzaga over the Gophers would have helped too....

Gabe, McBrayer, and Coffey can all shoot but they are stuck taking care of ball handling too....a good pg is all this team needed to be a sweet 16 team. Oturu, Murphy, and Max have been forces inside and Coffey, Gabe, and McBrayer are actually really good and long wing defenders.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 3/17/2019 5:25:45 PM >

Post #: 6061
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 3/18/2019 8:50:14 AM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

Lynch was graduating no matter what last year....Curry is out with injuries. McBrayer had a stress fracture that limited his practice time all summer. Carr (a transfer from Pitt) wasn't allowed to play this year otherwise we would be a force. Crandall a graduate transfer who chose Gonzaga over the Gophers would have helped too....

Gabe, McBrayer, and Coffey can all shoot but they are stuck taking care of ball handling too....a good pg is all this team needed to be a sweet 16 team. Oturu, Murphy, and Max have been forces inside and Coffey, Gabe, and McBrayer are actually really good and long wing defenders.

Part of it is the offense though. They aren't getting 3 looks because the offense simply isn't geared towards getting 3 looks. Many, many possessions the offense consists of tossing the ball around the perimeter aimlessly until the shot clock winds down, then hoping Murphy or Coffey can do something.
Post #: 6062
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 3/18/2019 5:47:09 PM   
GopherFan34

As Phil said, a true point guard would have been huge. The NCAA screwed the Gophers with the Carr eligibility. Washington never developed into a true point guard. He doesn't even play anymore.
Post #: 6063
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 3/18/2019 5:54:04 PM   
GopherFan34

The Gophers will go as far as Coffey and Murphy take them. You have to feel for Curry, injuries have derailed a promising college career.
Post #: 6064
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 3/18/2019 6:02:56 PM   
GopherFan34

Imagine how many open looks Coffey would get with a true point guard. Same with McBrayer and Gabe.
Post #: 6065
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 3/18/2019 7:22:06 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Part of it is the offense though. They aren't getting 3 looks because the offense simply isn't geared towards getting 3 looks. Many, many possessions the offense consists of tossing the ball around the perimeter aimlessly until the shot clock winds down, then hoping Murphy or Coffey can do something.

They should really stop trying to emulate the Timberwolves...
Post #: 6066
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 3/19/2019 6:52:14 AM   
SoMnFan

I've wandered away from BB the last couple years, so I wasn't sure … but glad others see what I'm seeing.
I watched the B10 tourney games from start to finish.

There's Murphy, there's Coffey.
Yup. Those two are pretty good.

The rest take turns, going from unusable, to scary-bad.
Post #: 6067
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 3/19/2019 9:16:57 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

I've wandered away from BB the last couple years, so I wasn't sure … but glad others see what I'm seeing.

Actually the two Freshman have shown a ton....w/o Oturo we would have been in trouble most games--same with Gabe.

Post #: 6068
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 3/19/2019 9:42:12 AM   
bstinger

Yep, the 2 freshman certainly have room to grow, but they show hope for the future. I've especially been impressed with Oturu this season. Gabe's had some really good games, and some bad ones, need more consistency. A true PG has to be found.

--twinsfan
Post #: 6069
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 3/19/2019 9:49:52 AM   
TJSweens

A true coach wouldn't hurt either. Pitino has no clue as to how to construct a half court offense.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 6070
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 3/19/2019 9:57:23 AM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

quote:

Actually the two Freshman have shown a ton....w/o Oturo we would have been in trouble most games--same with Gabe.

Agreed. The freshmen were legit good recruits and have good potential. But as of right now we're just not getting enough consistent performance out of them for this team to go anywhere.

Pitino does seem to be able to land good players... Then they get misused.

< Message edited by Karl Juhnke -- 3/19/2019 9:58:51 AM >
Post #: 6071
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 3/19/2019 12:29:56 PM   
SoMnFan

Ok, I take it back … I don't know anything, now that I'm away from it.
Because it sure looked to me like for 3 full games, there was ZERO chance of getting an important bucket out of anyone not named Murphy or Coffey.
ZERO chance.
Post #: 6072
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 3/19/2019 12:40:32 PM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

Because it sure looked to me like for 3 full games, there was ZERO chance of getting an important bucket out of anyone not named Murphy or Coffey.
ZERO chance.

No you're mostly correct. We're saying the freshmen could develop into good players, but we're not getting much from them now. I blame mostly coaching for this.
Post #: 6073
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 3/19/2019 12:48:10 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ZERO chance.

Admitting the problem is the first step.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 6074
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 3/19/2019 1:13:27 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

quote:

ZERO chance.

No you're mostly correct. We're saying the freshmen could develop into good players, but we're not getting much from them now. I blame mostly coaching for this.

That's probably where I was going mostly.
As most of you have said … no real plan.
yo-yo it, look around, make sure it gets to those two …
Post #: 6075
Page:   <<   < prev  241 242 [243] 244 245   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) Page: <<   < prev  241 242 [243] 244 245   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode