Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE:Wolves Talk & Rumors

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE:Wolves Talk & Rumors Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE:Wolves Talk & Rumors - 7/23/2007 8:22:54 PM   
TJSweens

Throw out the last year of the deal, which would be something like $6.65 million leaving $12.35 for the 2 guaranteed years and give him 90% of that. The buyout would be a little over 11 million spread out over 2 years.
Post #: 26
RE:Wolves Talk & Rumors - 7/24/2007 4:19:21 PM   
Eric Arnold

[quote="Tim Sweeney"]Throw out the last year of the deal, which would be something like $6.65 million leaving $12.35 for the 2 guaranteed years and give him 90% of that. The buyout would be a little over 11 million spread out over 2 years.[/quote] I would rather it be over 2 years, but I am pretty sure it is over three years and there is nothing we could do about that as the contract does not have to be guaranteed for it to be part of the overall contract length. Here is some info on what would happen cap wise. http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#60 The buy out should be at around $10 MM because Troy can be made whole with two minimum salary deals if he is bought out at just over $10 MM. A $10 MM buyout spread over 3 years would save Glen $3 MM in tax payments this year so I expect a buyout. The lack of a third guaranteed contract year explains why the Nazr for THud deal made sense from Detroit's perspective and not Minny's.
Post #: 27
RE:Wolves Talk & Rumors - 7/24/2007 10:36:57 PM   
Tim Cady

I have not watched a full NBA game since the officials stole the game from Garnett, Spree and Casell in the Western Finals, how ever many years ago that was against the Lakers. That was the final straw for me, until that league can tighten up its officiating I was done. Now this officiating scandle. You bet this league is rigged. Take that David Stern - You obtuse, arrogant, slimeball, :pimp: Daddy Basketball love the game - Hate the professional league. I have been disenfranchised since the Larry fouls. You know breathe on Bird call a foul. The Jordan calls - Look at Michael as he runs you over in the lane and that is a blocking foul on you. Evolved to the Shaq Daddy, travel charge, ok for him, he is the KINGKong of big men, so he may brutalize you as much as he wants, because there are no big men anymore. Looking back, the 3 point shot rule ruined the game, in my opinion. NBA especially and has weakened the game down to the high school level. The 3 pointer hit high schools two years after I graduated. It would have helped my game, but I was terrible inside. I was also wrong. Overall the 3 point shot has ruined the beauty and flow that once was basketball. I would rather watch raquetball.
Post #: 28
RE:Wolves Talk & Rumors - 7/25/2007 4:26:56 PM   
Mark Cummings

I watched some of the Stern press conference from yesteday, and even though Stern appeared to be shaken a bit by the officiating scandal, he still had plenty of his trademark bullying and arrogance. After Stern had stated that he thought the situation with Donaghy was an isolated incident, a reporter asked him how he could be sure. Stern's reply was: "I think I've just been asked when I'll stop beating my wife." :shock: The follow up question from the reporter was a reasonable one and we'd all like an answer to restore our faith in the integrity of the league. Stern's response was as shocking as it was irrelevant and distasteful. Even at a time of league crisis, when Stern should appear as nothing but contrite and concerned for the league, he still manages to come across as pompous. What a nutsack.
Post #: 29
RE:Wolves Talk & Rumors - 7/26/2007 3:38:42 AM   
TJSweens

[quote="Eric Arnold"][quote="Tim Sweeney"]Throw out the last year of the deal, which would be something like $6.65 million leaving $12.35 for the 2 guaranteed years and give him 90% of that. The buyout would be a little over 11 million spread out over 2 years.[/quote] I would rather it be over 2 years, but I am pretty sure it is over three years and there is nothing we could do about that as the contract does not have to be guaranteed for it to be part of the overall contract length. Here is some info on what would happen cap wise. http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#60 [/quote] Even though you beat me down on the last debate we had over Troy's deal, I believe the money is distributed over 2 years since there are currently only 2 guaranteed years on the deal. Theoretically the 3rd year doesn't exist until Troy meets the incentives to guarantee it. The link to the FAQ doesn't say that non guaranteed years are the same as guaranteed years.
Post #: 30
RE:Wolves Talk & Rumors - 7/26/2007 6:24:19 PM   
Eric Arnold

[quote="Tim Sweeney"][quote="Eric Arnold"][quote="Tim Sweeney"]Throw out the last year of the deal, which would be something like $6.65 million leaving $12.35 for the 2 guaranteed years and give him 90% of that. The buyout would be a little over 11 million spread out over 2 years.[/quote] I would rather it be over 2 years, but I am pretty sure it is over three years and there is nothing we could do about that as the contract does not have to be guaranteed for it to be part of the overall contract length. Here is some info on what would happen cap wise. http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#60 [/quote] Even though you beat me down on the last debate we had over Troy's deal, I believe the money is distributed over 2 years since there are currently only 2 guaranteed years on the deal. Theoretically the 3rd year doesn't exist until Troy meets the incentives to guarantee it. The link to the FAQ doesn't say that non guaranteed years are the same as guaranteed years.[/quote] No beat down at all. Heck, there is so little hard info to go on that we were just remembering the small shreds of info that we could get. (Plus, we both wanted the same outcome anyway!) Although I do think you are wrong again though on this 2 year as opposed to 3 year deal.... :twisted: But, I do agree that the FAQ is not 100% clear so there is no "proof" one can get from there. I do think a player has a contract for three years even if one is not guaranteed because I think that is how it works for trade kickers and the like so I am not sure why this would not be similar. I will care enough about this issue to email Coon if a buyout takes place. He is pretty good about responding and then I will take whatever he says as the truth until I find out otherwise.
Post #: 31
RE:Wolves Talk & Rumors - 7/30/2007 6:52:41 PM   
TJSweens

Well, he we go again. http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2954127 Now it is KG to Boston for Al Jefferson and Theo's expiring contract. Sorry, that just isn't enough.
Post #: 32
RE:Wolves Talk & Rumors - 7/30/2007 7:14:29 PM   
Todd G

[quote="Tim Sweeney"]Well, he we go again. http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2954127 Now it is KG to Boston for Al Jefferson and Theo's expiring contract. Sorry, that just isn't enough.[/quote] "It's believed that the latest incarnation of the deal would have Boston adding Gerald Green, Sebastian Telfair and multiple future draft picks to Jefferson and Ratliff in exchange for Garnett. It's also likely that other players would have to be added to the deal, since the salary-cap math involved would require both teams to account for Garnett's $6.75 million trade kicker." I think they're adding more to the deal, the picks would be most important to me. We need to get ours back at least.
Post #: 33
RE:Wolves Talk & Rumors - 7/30/2007 7:17:07 PM   
Mr. Ed

http://www.startribune.com/wolves/story/1332831.html Both major Boston newspapers are reporting that a deal between the Celtics and the Timberwolves is near completion. The Boston Herald reports the final package will likely have the Celtics sending Al Jefferson, Ryan Gomes, Gerald Green, Sebastian Telfair, Theo Ratliff and a No. 1 pick to Minnesota to acquire Garnett. The Herald also reported the Celtics and Garnett have reached an agreement in principle on a contract extension. It appears Garnett is willing to forego the opt-out in his current deal for next summer and cast his lot with Paul Pierce, Ray Allen and the Celtics. The Boston Globe said Boston's executive director of basketball operations/GM Danny Ainge would send Jefferson, Green, Ratliff and Telfair to Minnesota in exchange for Garnett, 31. Garnett's agent, Andy Miller, told the Globe that "there are serious discussions in place."
Post #: 34
RE:Wolves Talk & Rumors - 7/30/2007 7:30:42 PM   
TJSweens

It would appear to be a done deal at this point. Looks like we get Jefferson, Green, Telfair, Gomes, a first and Theo.
Post #: 35
RE:Wolves Talk & Rumors - 7/30/2007 7:37:48 PM   
So.Mn.Fan

[quote="Tim Sweeney"]It would appear to be a done deal at this point. Looks like we get Jefferson, Green, Telfair, Gomes, a first and Theo.[/quote] If true, what's your take, Tim? Good deal for the club or not?
Post #: 36
RE:Wolves Talk & Rumors - 7/30/2007 8:00:14 PM   
TJSweens

[quote="Scott Mellenthin"][quote="Tim Sweeney"]It would appear to be a done deal at this point. Looks like we get Jefferson, Green, Telfair, Gomes, a first and Theo.[/quote] If true, what's your take, Tim? Good deal for the club or not?[/quote] I think they would have to pull the trigger on that one. It brings a real infusion of young talent and a big expiring contract in Theo. They would take a big step back next year, but at the same time could really accelerate the rebuilding process with that deal. Especially when you consider it could mean ending up with a high lottery pick next summer assuming we will lose a lot of games this year.
Post #: 37
RE:Wolves Talk & Rumors - 7/30/2007 8:09:47 PM   
Bob Oppenheimer

[quote="Todd Gray"][quote="Tim Sweeney"]Well, he we go again. http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2954127 Now it is KG to Boston for Al Jefferson and Theo's expiring contract. Sorry, that just isn't enough.[/quote] "It's believed that the latest incarnation of the deal would have Boston adding Gerald Green, Sebastian Telfair and multiple future draft picks to Jefferson and Ratliff in exchange for Garnett. It's also likely that other players would have to be added to the deal, since the salary-cap math involved would require both teams to account for Garnett's $6.75 million trade kicker." I think they're adding more to the deal, the picks would be most important to me. We need to get ours back at least.[/quote] How big is this trade kicker? 6.75 mil? That seems way too large (30%)!!! exactly how much do we need to take back to get within the 125% rule? At the 22 mil KG salary I think it is about 17.5 mil, but with the trade kicker that number increases. (Ratlif/jefferson/green/telfair is 18 mil so with the kicker someone else would have to be included) gomes or add thud and add in gomes and scalabrine maybe. We better get our pick back as well as 1 more or rondo.
Post #: 38
RE:Wolves Talk & Rumors - 7/30/2007 8:12:19 PM   
Toby Stumbo

I believe the trade just went official. (according to KFAN)
Post #: 39
RE:Wolves Talk & Rumors - 7/30/2007 8:15:41 PM   
Todd G

We'd definately have to get our pick back, wouldn't we. It should potentially be much better than the Celtics pick. This deal, at least, gives fans some hope for the future, as opposed to a looong period mediocrity at best that we were looking at.
Post #: 40
RE:Wolves Talk & Rumors - 7/30/2007 8:16:03 PM   
Jeff Allen

If all those players are involved I would be for it. Hope we get the #1 pick back that we traded them a couple years ago. Hate to see KG leave, but it's time for a new era to begin!
Post #: 41
RE:Wolves Talk & Rumors - 7/30/2007 8:21:47 PM   
Jeff Allen

Must not be many of the NBA Talk Stribbers who got the memo that people switched over here...
Post #: 42
RE:Wolves Talk & Rumors - 7/30/2007 8:24:17 PM   
TJSweens

[quote="Jeff Allen"]Must not be many of the NBA Talk Stribbers who got the memo that people switched over here...[/quote] A lot of them are insanely loyal to the strib. Others didn't want to come over because without an affiliation to another site there won't be any way for potential new comers to find it. I say you can always get newbies through word of mouth and this way it keeps the trolls to a minimum.
Post #: 43
RE:Wolves Talk & Rumors - 7/30/2007 8:34:59 PM   
Todd G

Not having trolls was a big reason for being on the Strib site for me. This site has that and no performance issues. Win-win.
Post #: 44
RE:Wolves Talk & Rumors - 7/30/2007 8:39:59 PM   
Jim Frenette

With all those players, and the exsisting players, that is a huge roster. I'm betting they are all guaranteed contracts so the Wolve will have to work out some buy outs.
Post #: 45
RE:Wolves Talk & Rumors - 7/30/2007 8:46:45 PM   
Eric in Madison

I find myself strangely ambivalent about this deal. It's a lot of pieces, certainly, and I like Al Jefferson. On the other hand, that's a LOT of young players, and it's very difficult for an entirely young roster to coalesce quickly enough to make it possible to make good decisions on all of them. This team could be bad for a long time. Plus, there is quite a bit of duplication among guys who all need minutes: Gomes is similar to Smith; Green/Brewer/McCants.
Post #: 46
RE:Wolves Talk & Rumors - 7/30/2007 8:52:47 PM   
Jeff Allen

I read somewhere that Jefferson MAY not be part of the deal. Sorry, without Jefferson it would be incredibly stupid to trade KG. Four slugs and two first round picks for Garnett? Nope.
Post #: 47
RE:Wolves Talk & Rumors - 7/30/2007 8:56:49 PM   
Craig Boyte

I think this deal is about the best we can hope for. We would be quite bad next year, but it would be a young, athletic exciting team to watch. Anyone know how next years draft looks?
Post #: 48
RE:Wolves Talk & Rumors - 7/30/2007 9:01:48 PM   
TJSweens

[quote="Jeff Allen"]I read somewhere that Jefferson MAY not be part of the deal. Sorry, without Jefferson it would be incredibly stupid to trade KG. Four slugs and two first round picks for Garnett? Nope.[/quote] I agree with no deal without Jefferson. 4 Slugs? I don't think so. Theo is a slug with a big expiring deal. Gomes and Green show a lot of promise.
Post #: 49
RE:Wolves Talk & Rumors - 7/30/2007 9:10:23 PM   
Todd G

What year pick do the Celtics hold of ours?
Post #: 50
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE:Wolves Talk & Rumors Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode