Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE:Wolves Talk & Rumors

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE:Wolves Talk & Rumors Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE:Wolves Talk & Rumors - 7/30/2007 9:14:11 PM   
Jeff Allen

[quote="Tim Sweeney"][quote="Jeff Allen"]I read somewhere that Jefferson MAY not be part of the deal. Sorry, without Jefferson it would be incredibly stupid to trade KG. Four slugs and two first round picks for Garnett? Nope.[/quote] I agree with no deal without Jefferson. 4 Slugs? I don't think so. Theo is a slug with a big expiring deal. Gomes and Green show a lot of promise.[/quote] Slugs = fairly average NBA player. Gomes, Green, and Telfair are pretty average NBA players. I don't want a handful of spot starters for Garnett.
Post #: 51
RE:Wolves Talk & Rumors - 7/30/2007 9:19:01 PM   
Mike Mundt

Some little known writer in Boston stated no-Jefferson but has since revised her report. The deal, at last report, is Jefferson, Ratliff, Gomes, Green, Telfair, future #1 for KG. A Boston source, pretty reliable from reports, says that it is done and could be announced this afternoon. We owe Boston a #1 from the Banks trade. It can only go to Boston two years after the Clipper #1 (Jaric trade) and it has top 14 protection the first year of availability. It will most likely turn into a #2 as the 5 year rule to complete trades will arrive.
Post #: 52
RE:Wolves Talk & Rumors - 7/30/2007 9:38:07 PM   
El Duderino

I don't know. I just don't see how trading KG is going to make this team better, either now or in the future. I do see how it would make them unwatchable. I don't see how they could keep my attention. I do see how they could end up being the NBA equivalent of the football Cardinals. :soapbox:
Post #: 53
RE:Wolves Talk & Rumors - 7/30/2007 9:41:06 PM   
Bob Oppenheimer

[quote="El Duderino"]I don't know. I just don't see how trading KG is going to make this team better, either now or in the future. I do see how it would make them unwatchable. I don't see how they could keep my attention. I do see how they could end up being the NBA equivalent of the football Cardinals. :soapbox:[/quote] I consider the team as currently constructed to be unwatchable, and with no real options to make it good enough to compete for a title. I would buy league pass if this trade were made just to see which young pieces are keepers and to see something with some promise. I would rather watch a young team win 20 games than watch an old team win 35.
Post #: 54
RE:Wolves Talk & Rumors - 7/30/2007 9:43:20 PM   
Todd G

But they're unwatchable now. I think this is a faster way to get back. We'll likely be one of the (if not the) worst team in the NBA next year giving us a much better pick. What does next years draft look like. Take the hit now, The Wolves mgmt is looking at poor attendance no matter what. This may be thier quickest way to raise attendance.
Post #: 55
RE:Wolves Talk & Rumors - 7/30/2007 9:46:11 PM   
TJSweens

[quote="Todd Gray"]What year pick do the Celtics hold of ours?[/quote] The clock doesn't start until we finally have to ship a pick to the Clippers. Once we finish out of the top 10 picks and have to send our first rounder to L.A., the Wolves will keep their next 1st rounder by NBA rule. The year after that we go through the same lottery protections that we went through with the Clippers before Boston gets our pick. In short it could be as soon as 2010 and as far out as God only knows.
Post #: 56
RE:Wolves Talk & Rumors - 7/30/2007 9:57:25 PM   
El Duderino

Y'all can prefer the trade as much as you want. I'm simply expressing my view, which is no doubt held by MANY people who go to games or even watch on TV. You know, the ones who pay the bills. All I'm saying is, if this trade happens, I will officially no longer give even a sixteenth of a rat's posterior about the Wolves or the NBA. Another thing - It's not on the scale of Twins trading Torii Hunter - it's on the scale of the Red Sox trading Babe Ruth. How'd that work out for them?
Post #: 57
RE:Wolves Talk & Rumors - 7/30/2007 10:03:10 PM   
Jeff Allen

If we got Jefferson and the other rumored then the deal is very good for us. Garnett > Jefferson But getting Gomes, Green, Telfair, Ratliff's contract, #1 pick is more than enough to close that gap. I just don't see us getting that much here. I bet Gomes and Green aren't involved...
Post #: 58
RE:Wolves Talk & Rumors - 7/30/2007 10:09:05 PM   
TJSweens

[quote="Jeff Allen"]If we got Jefferson and the other rumored then the deal is very good for us. Garnett > Jefferson But getting Gomes, Green, Telfair, Ratliff's contract, #1 pick is more than enough to close that gap. I just don't see us getting that much here. I bet Gomes and Green aren't involved...[/quote] Then I don't do the deal. They better get that much. They would have done better on the draft day deal except Charlotte drafted the wrong guy (Wright). I also like the rumored Golden State deal that was floating out there a lot better than this one.
Post #: 59
RE:Wolves Talk & Rumors - 7/30/2007 10:13:02 PM   
David Levine

Gomes is the sleeper in the deal. Good rebounding SF with some offensive game. Jefferson, Gomes, Green, the pick and filler is enough to make me do it. If we could squeeze in Rondo, even better.
Post #: 60
RE:Wolves Talk & Rumors - 7/30/2007 10:16:30 PM   
Todd G

[quote="El Duderino"]Y'all can prefer the trade as much as you want. I'm simply expressing my view, which is no doubt held by MANY people who go to games or even watch on TV. You know, the ones who pay the bills. All I'm saying is, if this trade happens, I will officially no longer give even a sixteenth of a rat's posterior about the Wolves or the NBA. Another thing - It's not on the scale of Twins trading Torii Hunter - it's on the scale of the Red Sox trading Babe Ruth. How'd that work out for them?[/quote] Well, in 2082 I can tune back in for our NBA Championship. :woohoo:
Post #: 61
RE:Wolves Talk & Rumors - 7/30/2007 10:20:56 PM   
El Duderino

[quote="Todd Gray"]Well, in 2082 I can tune back in for our NBA Championship. :woohoo:[/quote] I will be 106 then (I'll turn 107 that July). So, yeah, I guess that should work! :shock:
Post #: 62
RE:Wolves Talk & Rumors - 7/30/2007 10:50:51 PM   
Jeff Allen

Now I read it was five players and TWO #1 picks... This is turning into Herschel Walker II!
Post #: 63
RE:Wolves Talk & Rumors - 7/30/2007 10:59:26 PM   
Bob Oppenheimer

[quote="Jeff Allen"]Now I read it was five players and TWO #1 picks... This is turning into Herschel Walker II![/quote] except this time we are the ones getting the booty.....better find a jimmy johnson quick.....I know for cetain that mchale and wittman don't fit that bill.
Post #: 64
RE:Wolves Talk & Rumors - 7/30/2007 11:05:17 PM   
Elliot

As others have noted, the Celtics #1 pick is likely to be worth very little. Heck the Suns recently sold one for $3MM right? Unless there are sigificant injuries to two of the three (KG, PP, RA) or unless the pick is for 2010, the Celtics pick will likely be in the mid-20's. Getting the Wolves original pick conveyed as part of the Banks trade is worth much more, but won't come into play until the Wolves convey the pick to the Clippers.
Post #: 65
KG trade to Boston - 7/30/2007 11:06:04 PM   
Matt Lang

The trouble is in matching the salaries. Jefferson + Ratliff doesn't come close and taking on lots of other bodies doesn't make a lot of sense. Maybe there's a third team involved? Also, if this happens, we absolutely positively HAVE to jettison Davis immediately.
Post #: 66
Re: KG trade to Boston - 7/30/2007 11:12:10 PM   
Bob Oppenheimer

[quote="langcow-MattLang"]The trouble is in matching the salaries. Jefferson + Ratliff doesn't come close and taking on lots of other bodies doesn't make a lot of sense. Maybe there's a third team involved? Also, if this happens, we absolutely positively HAVE to jettison Davis immediately.[/quote] Jefferson/Green/Ratlif(exp)/Telfair(exp) + one of rondo, tony allen, or gomes and powe adds up to 20 mil which is what we need to take back to give up garnets 22 mil + 15% trade kicker 22 x 1.15 = 25.3 mil 20 x 1.25 = 25 mil unfortunately we can't get rid of any other ugly contract with him......so we better also get our pick back + at least one more. Telfair and ratlif will never play a game for the wolves, and I would assume Thud will be bought out thus clearing the roster space for us to take on all these players. having a bunch of young prospect bodies is not a bad thing in any respect. These young guys should have some value. I would look into turning around mccants and gomes or allen for some future picks if possible...perhaps after mccants fills it up on the horrible team we will have.
Post #: 67
RE:Wolves Talk & Rumors - 7/30/2007 11:17:00 PM   
Jeff Allen

Now a "source" says it's Jefferson, Telfair, Green, Ratliff, and a #1. No Gomes. No second #1. From a Celtic viewpoint, it's Jefferson and Green for Garnett.
Post #: 68
RE:Wolves Talk & Rumors - 7/30/2007 11:17:05 PM   
Matt Lang

Yeah it works but that's a lot of bodies for one guy. ...though I guess it could work as we only have 13 guys on our roster right now and that includes Bracey: http://www.nba.com/timberwolves/wolves/ (they don't have our rookies on there yet)
Post #: 69
RE:Wolves Talk & Rumors - 7/30/2007 11:17:40 PM   
Jim Frenette

I think without KG it will be like watching the Lynx
Post #: 70
RE:Wolves Talk & Rumors - 7/30/2007 11:19:34 PM   
David Levine

I like ESPN's report: Multiple sources told ESPN.com on Sunday night that former teammates Kevin McHale and Danny Ainge revived discussions of a deal that would end Garnett's 12-season association with Minnesota by sending him to Ainge's Celtics, with the Wolves believed to be getting back two of the assets McHale coveted most last month -- Al Jefferson and Theo Ratliff's expiring contract. It's believed that the latest incarnation of the deal also would have Minnesota acquiring youngsters Gerald Green, Sebastian Telfair and Ryan Gomes. The salary-cap math involved would require both teams to account for Garnett's $6.75 million trade kicker. The Wolves would also receive a future first-round pick from Boston and take back the future first-round pick it sent to the Celtics in the Wally Szczerbiak-Ricky Davis trade in January 2006. (Minnesota still owes the Los Angeles Clippers one first-rounder as part of the Sam Cassell-Marko Jaric deal in the summer of 2005.)
Post #: 71
RE:Wolves Talk & Rumors - 7/30/2007 11:20:13 PM   
David Levine

Hey Matt. Welcome to board that always works!
Post #: 72
RE:Wolves Talk & Rumors - 7/30/2007 11:22:45 PM   
TJSweens

[quote="Jeff Allen"]Now a "source" says it's Jefferson, Telfair, Green, Ratliff, and a #1. No Gomes. No second #1. From a Celtic viewpoint, it's Jefferson and Green for Garnett.[/quote] That's impossible because the salaries don't match in that scenario.
Post #: 73
RE:Wolves Talk & Rumors - 7/30/2007 11:27:31 PM   
Matt Lang

Celtics And Wolves Reach Agreement July 30, 2007 - 5:18 pm USA Today - Kevin Garnett is leaving Minnesota after the Boston Celtics agreed to acquire the All-Star forward in a multiplayer trade with the Timberwolves, a Celtics official told The Associated Press on Monday. Among the players who could be headed to Minnesota are forward Al Jefferson, guard Sebastian Telfair, swingman Gerald Green and center Theo Ratliff, said the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the deal had not been completed. The official also said the Timberwolves would get at least one draft choice. The teams "ran into a few things that need clarification" in the players' contracts, but the official said that would not keep the Celtics from acquiring Garnett, although there could be a change in the players ticketed for the Timberwolves. There was a "50-50" chance that a conference call announcing the trade would be held Monday, the official said. =-=-=-=-=-= Source: KG Trade 'Essentially Completed' July 30, 2007 - 4:07 pm Boston Herald - Sources this morning are confirming to Steve Bulpett, longtime Celtics beat writer for the Boston Herald that Boston's deal for Kevin Garnett is essentially completed. One involved source said the final package will have the Celts sending Al Jefferson, Ryan Gomes, Gerald Green, Sebastian Telfair, Theo Ratliff and a No. 1 pick to Minnesota to acquire Garnett. Further word is that the Celts and Garnett have reached an agreement in principle on a contract extension. You may recall a report here that Danny Ainge would not do the deal without such a guarantee of Garnett’s presence, and it appears now that the perennial All-Star is willing to forego the opt-out in his current deal for next summer and cast his lot with Paul Pierce, Ray Allen and the Celtics.
Post #: 74
RE:Wolves Talk & Rumors - 7/30/2007 11:29:31 PM   
Matt Lang

[quote="David Levine"]Hey Matt. Welcome to board that always works![/quote] No kidding - this is a lot better than startrib these days!
Post #: 75
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE:Wolves Talk & Rumors Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode