Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE:Wolves Talk & Rumors

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE:Wolves Talk & Rumors Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE:Wolves Talk & Rumors - 7/30/2007 11:54:07 PM   
Jeff Allen

[quote="Tim Sweeney"][quote="Jeff Allen"]Now a "source" says it's Jefferson, Telfair, Green, Ratliff, and a #1. No Gomes. No second #1. From a Celtic viewpoint, it's Jefferson and Green for Garnett.[/quote] That's impossible because the salaries don't match in that scenario.[/quote] Hey, I just report what I read...
Post #: 76
RE:Wolves Talk & Rumors - 7/31/2007 12:01:51 AM   
David Levine

[quote="Matt Lang"][quote="David Levine"]Hey Matt. Welcome to board that always works![/quote] No kidding - this is a lot better than startrib these days![/quote] It'd be nice if we could get the rest over here. We've done a good job with the Vikings and Twins posters.
Post #: 77
RE:Wolves Talk & Rumors - 7/31/2007 12:06:12 AM   
Mark

Should I be excited about Gomes and Green??? I'm really hoping they find a way to get Rondo in the deal, doesn't look like that will happen. Sad, Sad day if this goes down. Jefferson, Rondo, Theo, gomes/green, and picks would be something to get excited about, but I'm not sold on Green and don't know a lot about Gomes. By the way, what # do you think KG would go with... as 21 is retired in Boston?
Post #: 78
RE:Wolves Talk & Rumors - 7/31/2007 12:10:32 AM   
Mike Mundt

Ratliff, Jefferson, Telfair, Green, #1 works. It does not sound like Gomes is included nor is Rondo.
Post #: 79
RE:Wolves Talk & Rumors - 7/31/2007 12:25:51 AM   
Matt Lang

Source: Celtics, Wolves Agree to Send Garnett to Boston By HOWARD ULMAN Posted Jul 30 2007 5:19PM Print E-mail RSS Feeds E-News Sign Up BOSTON, July 30 (AP)-- Kevin Garnett is leaving Minnesota after the Boston Celtics agreed to acquire the All-Star forward in a multiplayer trade with the Timberwolves, a Celtics official told The Associated Press on Monday. Among the players who could be headed to Minnesota are forward Al Jefferson, guard Sebastian Telfair, swingman Gerald Green and center Theo Ratliff, said the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the deal had not been completed. The official also said the Timberwolves would get at least one draft choice. The teams still had some things to clarify with the players' contracts, but the official said that would not keep the Celtics from acquiring Garnett, although there could be a change in the players ticketed for the Timberwolves. There was a chance that a conference call announcing the trade would be held Monday, the official said. Garnett, 31, has spent all of his 12 NBA seasons with Minnesota. He would get an extension of his contract, which has one year plus an option year remaining, the official said. The Celtics had tried to get Garnett late last month, but his agent said he didn't want to go to Boston. Since then, Boston acquired seven-time All-Star guard Ray Allen from Seattle in a draft day deal. Already with Paul Pierce, the Celtics would become instant contenders in the Atlantic Division with Garnett, even without promising forward Jefferson. The Celtics obtained Allen and the 35th pick of the draft for guards Delonte West and Wally Szczerbiak, and forward Jeff Green of Georgetown, whom they drafted with the fifth pick. The Celtics have won just three playoff series during Pierce's nine years with them. They still have an NBA-record 16 championships, but none since 1986. "They have no excuses, this team out there,'' Danny Ainge, the executive director of basketball operations, said after Allen was acquired. Pierce, 29, led the Celtics in scoring last season but played only 47 games because of injury. Allen, who turns 32 next month, averaged a career-high 26.4 points last season, his 11th, but underwent surgery to remove bone spurs on both ankles that required him to wear protective boots. He is expected to be ready for training camp. Copyright 2006 by STATS LLC and Associated Press. Any commercial use or distribution without the express written consent of STATS LLC and Associated Press is strictly prohibited
Post #: 80
RE:Wolves Talk & Rumors - 7/31/2007 12:26:23 AM   
Bob Oppenheimer

[quote="Mike Mundt"]Ratliff, Jefferson, Telfair, Green, #1 works. It does not sound like Gomes is included nor is Rondo.[/quote] I don't think it works. They add up to only 18 mil and they need to get to 20 mil because of KGs trade kicker (which I heard can not be waived). 22 x 1.15 = 25 mil (trade kicker) 20 x 1.25 = 25 mil (salary matching exception) ...... I guess I am reading on ESPN that the kicker can be waived to make a deal legal so my logic is incorrect....sorry for mouthing off incorrectly. They are also reporting that his kicker is for 6.25 mil and implying that it is all could/would be counted on the trade matching (meaning it counts as this years salary?) 6.25 mil is 30% of 22 mil so I can't believe this to be true.....that is a huge kicker.
Post #: 81
RE:Wolves Talk & Rumors - 7/31/2007 12:26:59 AM   
Matt Lang

[quote="David Levine"][quote="Matt Lang"][quote="David Levine"]Hey Matt. Welcome to board that always works![/quote] No kidding - this is a lot better than startrib these days![/quote] It'd be nice if we could get the rest over here. We've done a good job with the Vikings and Twins posters.[/quote] If it was possible to get a post on there, we could tell them, but it's nearly impossible to get a post on there right now unfortunately.
Post #: 82
RE:Wolves Talk & Rumors - 7/31/2007 1:04:24 AM   
David Levine

I really want Gomes included.
Post #: 83
RE:Wolves Talk & Rumors - 7/31/2007 1:22:18 AM   
Todd G

I'm seeing multiple sources saying we get two picks Boston Globe: "As the trade currently stands, Boston will send Al Jefferson, Gerald Green, Theo Ratliff, Ryan Gomes, Sebastian Telfair and two first-round picks to Minnesota in exchange for Garnett." Minneapolis Star/Tribune: "The trade is likely to send forward Al Jefferson, swingman Gerald Green, guard Ryan Gomes, point guard Sebastian Telfair, center Theo Ratliff and two first-round picks to the Wolves."
Post #: 84
RE:Wolves Talk & Rumors - 7/31/2007 1:30:08 AM   
Jim Frenette

I wonder if Danny kissed McHale before doing this deal? The Celtics already said this spring after Telfair's latest escapade that he would not play for them again. So now Kevin is helping his buddy out by taking a guy just steps away from jail time. KG, Paul and Ray's salary have to use up most of their salary. How much of a bench can they get? Are they willing to be like the New York and pay a big luxury tax?
Post #: 85
RE:Wolves Talk & Rumors - 7/31/2007 1:42:48 AM   
So.Mn.Fan

Can't wait to see Bill Simmon's response to this deal. Never know how he's gonna see it. There will be plenty of Doc River's rippin' going on, however, which is always fun. :lol:
Post #: 86
RE:Wolves Talk & Rumors - 7/31/2007 1:48:24 AM   
Bob Oppenheimer

[quote="Jim Frenette"]I wonder if Danny kissed McHale before doing this deal? The Celtics already said this spring after Telfair's latest escapade that he would not play for them again. So now Kevin is helping his buddy out by taking a guy just steps away from jail time. KG, Paul and Ray's salary have to use up most of their salary. How much of a bench can they get? Are they willing to be like the New York and pay a big luxury tax?[/quote] We are happy to take telfair and his expiring deal......this in no way means he will see a wolves uni.
Post #: 87
RE:Wolves Talk & Rumors - 7/31/2007 2:05:50 AM   
David Levine

[quote="Bob Oppenheimer"][quote="Jim Frenette"]I wonder if Danny kissed McHale before doing this deal? The Celtics already said this spring after Telfair's latest escapade that he would not play for them again. So now Kevin is helping his buddy out by taking a guy just steps away from jail time. KG, Paul and Ray's salary have to use up most of their salary. How much of a bench can they get? Are they willing to be like the New York and pay a big luxury tax?[/quote] We are happy to take telfair and his expiring deal......this in no way means he will see a wolves uni.[/quote] Absolutely. This is exactly the kind of deal we needed to make (especially if it's as reported above). Draft picks, young talent and expiring deals so we can free up cap space. Telfair and Ratliff are expiring deals (unless Telfair does a complete 180). Jefferson is already a young stud, and Gomes and Green are young players with a ton of talent.
Post #: 88
RE:Wolves Talk & Rumors - 7/31/2007 2:19:45 AM   
Steve Lentz

Garnett was a Minnesota icon and an unbelievable talent. I will become a Celtic fan in the east. But I like the trade and especially Jefferson, Green, and the expiring contracts. We're rebuilding hopefully quickly.
Post #: 89
RE:Wolves Talk & Rumors - 7/31/2007 2:21:40 AM   
Matt Peterson

Pretty quiet day for a Minnesota sports fan: Adrian Peterson's first training camp practice. Kevin Garnett traded to the Celtics. Luis Castillo traded to the Mets. Any idea what the WILD are up to?
Post #: 90
RE:Wolves Talk & Rumors - 7/31/2007 2:36:39 AM   
Matt Lang

Jim Rome: 7-30-2007 ESPN is reporting the-again off-again Kevin Garnett to Boston talks are back on again, and that K.G. is actually open to making the move. The ‘Wolves reportedly thought they had a deal before the draft, but Garnett made it clear: he didn’t want to leave Minnesota…and especially to go to Boston. But that was before the Celtics worked a deal for Ray Allen, and now suddenly, the opportunity doesn’t look so bad. No, Boston is not Phoenix…Delonte West isn’t Steve Nash…and this is not an ideal scenario. But it’s a lot better than staying in Minnesota and getting your brains beaten in some more. If I were K.G. I’d already be at the airport. LeBron James got the cavaliers to the NBA Finals pretty much all by himself. Garnett would have both Ray Allen and Paul Pierce in the East. And for the last time, I know he’s a loyal guy; but leaving an organization that failed him does not make him disloyal. It’s not happening there! They can’t win with him! I respect that you love Minnesota…keep your house then. Stay there in the off-season and when your career is over. Raise your family, grow old there. It just doesn’t mean you can never where another uniform. You’re a ‘Hall of Famer’ with a limited shelf life and it’s now or never. At this point, after missing the Playoffs three years in a row, staying doesn’t make you loyal, it means you’re comfortable and that you really don’t care if you win or lose. Because they’ve proven they can’t surround you with the talent you need and you’re not going to win there! Not leaving would make me wonder just how badly you want to win?
Post #: 91
RE:Wolves Talk & Rumors - 7/31/2007 2:50:43 AM   
Bob Oppenheimer

Nice work Jim....Delonte isn't steve nash, more importantly he doesn't play for any team involved. this just in......marbury is not jordan.
Post #: 92
my thoughts - 7/31/2007 3:39:57 AM   
Casey Brewer

I was in the midst of putting the finishing touches on a blazing hot campaign today while all the talk was going on, so I didn't have much time to react. I would briefly glance on the boards to see the momentum of this thing bubbling like molten lava, without offering my own insight on the deal. Here it is: 1. I hate the fact we're losing the only player that has ever meant anything to this franchise, and Kevin McHale still has a job, and Glen Taylor still owns the team. It doesn't sit well with me in the least. 2. I hate the fact the fact that we're aquiring a handful of new young players to pair with our own, and we expect a borderline neandrathal to coach them. Why didn't we just keep Casey around? 3. I despise the fact that the team went behind Garnett's back at the trade deadline when an honest and loyal franchise would have kept him in the loop regarding shopping his services. What a way to besmirch a storied career and legacy in Minnesota. 4. I like Jefferson and think he is as nice of a piece as we can expect for Garnett. Greene? Not so much. Telfair is a clown with a horrific game, he'd be better off dealt as soon as possible. Gomes is a very nice piece if he is indeed coming, he should start at the SF position until Brewer earns his stripes. Ratlif is a good lockeroom guy that can team the subtlties of post defense to our young bigs, and he's got a huge expiring deal. All in all, this is a good trade for Garnett talent wise. 5. It however is not a good deal for any fans that care to watch winning basketball for the foreseeable future. Jefferson, currently the best player on the Wolves roster is still 2-3 years away from finding his true potential. He has an injury history that raises concerns. We still don't have a legit PG. And we've added more swing guards to a pile that is already ridiculously messy. 6. We essentially just traded the best player in franchise history for a team that couldn't muster anything, and they even had Paul Pierce. That should scare any Wolves fan that isn't banking strictly on potential. 7. We still have the uglies. Ricky, Jaric, TRASHad, Thud, and Blount. We better have something lined up for these clowns, and if we're seriously considering keeping Telfair, we've just added another idiot. Greene still has a lot to prove, but peter May just called him a "player raised by wolves" on KFAN. Meaning he has a complete and utter lack of an understanding of basketball. I'll mourn the loss of KG, and I would be surprised if I can come out of a apathy coma to watch this team, much less pay money to see them.
Post #: 93
RE:Wolves Talk & Rumors - 7/31/2007 3:58:28 AM   
shakeywalton

What an absolutely FANTASTIC Coup by McHale. Although it's about 3 years too late, he finally realized this team needs to be rebuilt. They can lose 50 games a season with, or without KG. But they weren't going ANYWHERE WITH KG. I don't even know who they aquired, but I'm just thrilled that his Enormous Contract is GONE! btw: How bout them Wild!
Post #: 94
Re: my thoughts - 7/31/2007 4:44:03 AM   
Steve Lentz

[quote="Casey Brewer"]I was in the midst of putting the finishing touches on a blazing hot campaign today while all the talk was going on, so I didn't have much time to react. I would briefly glance on the boards to see the momentum of this thing bubbling like molten lava, without offering my own insight on the deal. Here it is: 1. I hate the fact we're losing the only player that has ever meant anything to this franchise, and Kevin McHale still has a job, and Glen Taylor still owns the team. It doesn't sit well with me in the least. 2. I hate the fact the fact that we're aquiring a handful of new young players to pair with our own, and we expect a borderline neandrathal to coach them. Why didn't we just keep Casey around? 3. I despise the fact that the team went behind Garnett's back at the trade deadline when an honest and loyal franchise would have kept him in the loop regarding shopping his services. What a way to besmirch a storied career and legacy in Minnesota. 4. I like Jefferson and think he is as nice of a piece as we can expect for Garnett. Greene? Not so much. Telfair is a clown with a horrific game, he'd be better off dealt as soon as possible. Gomes is a very nice piece if he is indeed coming, he should start at the SF position until Brewer earns his stripes. Ratlif is a good lockeroom guy that can team the subtlties of post defense to our young bigs, and he's got a huge expiring deal. All in all, this is a good trade for Garnett talent wise. 5. It however is not a good deal for any fans that care to watch winning basketball for the foreseeable future. Jefferson, currently the best player on the Wolves roster is still 2-3 years away from finding his true potential. He has an injury history that raises concerns. We still don't have a legit PG. And we've added more swing guards to a pile that is already ridiculously messy. 6. We essentially just traded the best player in franchise history for a team that couldn't muster anything, and they even had Paul Pierce. That should scare any Wolves fan that isn't banking strictly on potential. 7. We still have the uglies. Ricky, Jaric, TRASHad, Thud, and Blount. We better have something lined up for these clowns, and if we're seriously considering keeping Telfair, we've just added another idiot. Greene still has a lot to prove, but peter May just called him a "player raised by wolves" on KFAN. Meaning he has a complete and utter lack of an understanding of basketball. I'll mourn the loss of KG, and I would be surprised if I can come out of a apathy coma to watch this team, much less pay money to see them.[/quote] Well said. I would think just about every fan will MOURN the loss of one of the greatest players in all Minnesota sports history. He came to play every game and gave us some serious great games and seasons. I too feel terrible that management could never got him enough help to compete other than the 1 year. Thank you KG for bringing it every game.
Post #: 95
RE:Wolves Talk & Rumors - 7/31/2007 4:56:35 AM   
David Levine

It is a bittersweet moment. I absolutely hate that KG won't spend his entire career as a Timberwolf, but I just don't think we were heading anywhere and the last 2 seasons have been painful to watch. At least this way there is hope for the future and maybe some renewed excitement. While we're rebuilding the next few years I hope KG gets himself a couple rings. He sure wasn't going to get them here, so if he can go out with a few, it'll make me feel a lot better about trading him.
Post #: 96
RE:Wolves Talk & Rumors - 7/31/2007 5:39:36 AM   
Brad Norman

[quote="David Levine"]It is a bittersweet moment. I absolutely hate that KG won't spend his entire career as a Timberwolf, but I just don't think we were heading anywhere and the last 2 seasons have been painful to watch. At least this way there is hope for the future and maybe some renewed excitement. While we're rebuilding the next few years I hope KG gets himself a couple rings. He sure wasn't going to get them here, so if he can go out with a few, it'll make me feel a lot better about trading him.[/quote] That's just how I feel, David. I wanted KG to be a Wolf for life, but I also wanted him to win a ring. If he has to be traded, I'm glad he will have a great chance to get that ring. And the Wolves will do pretty well in this deal also. Lots of young talent, expiring contracts, and draft picks.
Post #: 97
RE:Wolves Talk & Rumors - 7/31/2007 5:40:27 AM   
Bob Oppenheimer

Sad to see KG go but at least I don't mind rooting for the celtics, I like Pierce and Allen. I think seeing what that team does is reason enough to get league pass.
Post #: 98
RE:Wolves Talk & Rumors - 7/31/2007 5:44:11 AM   
TJSweens

Hey, we got Mr. Brewer over here now! :welcome: Nice to see the Twolves thread in this forum get some action even if it is over a tough to take subject. I agree 100% that I hate the thought of Kevin Garnett ever playing for another team. The sad fact of the matter is that it became necessary to trade him because it was impossible to trade the collection of God awful contracts around him to rebuild around him. The window of opportunity to get this done while KG is still an elite player was getting smaller all of the time. And Casey expressed my feelings dead on that Taylor and McHale (aka Moose and Squirrel MachII) still own and run this basketball team.
Post #: 99
RE:Wolves Talk & Rumors - 7/31/2007 5:45:54 AM   
Ron W

Britt Robson's Comments in The Rake July 30, 2007 Trade Talk Galore! Okay, much as I hate to plunge into things without being sure it is not a waste of time, the Associated Press is calling the KG trade to Boston a done deal and I'm getting a lot of calls to appear on various media to discuss the trade, so it seems a little silly not to have a forum on this blog for it. In case you haven't heard the particulars, AP is reporting KG to Boston for Al Jefferson, Theo Ratliff, Sebastian Telfair, Gerald Green, and an undisclosed draft pick. (Others such as the Boston Herald have also thrown in Ryan Gomes and a 2009 first round pick--all unconfirmed as of now. This is a trade that now makes sense for both teams. Celtic GM Danny Ainge has Paul Pierce and Ray Allen signed through 2011 and 2010, respectively, at more than $16 million a year apiece. He needs to win now. Adding KG to those aforementioned stars in the East catapults the Celts up with the Bulls and perhaps the Cavs and the Heat as early favorites for the NBA finals. On the Wolves end, GM Kevin McHale has long lamented the lack of rugged low post play and has coveted Jefferson for that reason. Just 22 years old with two years left on his deal at a combined $6.9 million, he has the potential to be another Elton Brand. The next most valuable piece is Ratliff's expiring $11 million contract, which is vitally important to a Wolves ownership that was looking at paying Garnett $46 million over the next two years while the team underwent a near top-to-bottom rebuilding with the youth acquired over the last three drafts. Telfair is damaged goods but does play the point and has a clean slate with which to prove himself. Green is freakishly athletic but hasn't demonstrated he knows how to play basketball. I would say that the third key to the trade behind Jefferson and Ratliff is whether the Wolves receive their own pick back or have to take one of the Celtics picks. Given the Wolves rebuilding mode and the strength of the West, versus the suddenly stacked Celts in the inferior East, the Wolves' former pick is the one to own down the road. Other considerations... One reason this deal is likely "rumored" without confirmation for so long is because the Celts want to ensure they get a contract extension with Garnett totally firmed up if not in writing. When Al Jefferson was a rookie, Ricky Davis and Mark Blount were veterans on the Celtics whom management obviously wanted to unload. Chemistry is all about pecking orders, and Jefferson has to have his status elevated rapidly and without much disruption if the Wolves are to enjoy good chemistry. In other words, add this trade to the reasons why Minnesota should part with the Boston Bobbsey Twins. That said, the Wolves will have to find a new way to rebound, having lost the guy who dominated the boards for his team more than anyone in the league over the past three to four years. Can Jefferson, Craig Smith and Corey Brewer be an adequate front line, especially if your backcourt is also smallish, with Foye and McCants the likely starters in any youth movement? Yes, Juwon Howard is also a factor, but if Howard is your rebounding bulwark, you're in trouble. http://www.rakemag.com/today/sports/....aspx#comments
Post #: 100
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE:Wolves Talk & Rumors Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode