Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: NBA Basketball

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: NBA Basketball Page: <<   < prev  437 438 [439] 440 441   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: NBA Basketball - 8/12/2017 11:32:19 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

It's fashionable to hate on both Melo and Wiggins. Both better than people act like they are.

I'm not sure who is hating on Wig. Those of us who would trade him for Irving would do it as a basketball move that makes sense for the Wolves. I don't think anyone has questioned what kind of a person or teammate he is. From everything I have heard, Wig is a good citizen, good teammate, good person.

And we think he's valuable enough, to maybe be enough ...to acquire a guy like Kyrie.
I'd say that's a decent amount of respect.

News Flash. Kyrie is not that good.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 10951
RE: NBA Basketball - 8/12/2017 1:42:03 PM   
kurt bilben

https://youtu.be/1u7fbcVC-9s

Well hell if Pete, KG and DL think it could work perhaps he (Carmelo) could turn back into USA basketball Carmelo, and actually guard somebody.

From the looks of this pickup game Carmelo (The dude with the hood on) hasn't lost much offensively...

And CJ (With the white tank top) is just getting better..

Scotty we might be wrong on this one- Hopefully...
Post #: 10952
RE: NBA Basketball - 8/12/2017 8:32:57 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

It's fashionable to hate on both Melo and Wiggins. Both better than people act like they are.

I'm not sure who is hating on Wig. Those of us who would trade him for Irving would do it as a basketball move that makes sense for the Wolves. I don't think anyone has questioned what kind of a person or teammate he is. From everything I have heard, Wig is a good citizen, good teammate, good person.

And we think he's valuable enough, to maybe be enough ...to acquire a guy like Kyrie.

We have already established that you are quite wrong in that belief. Very very very wrong.

When you have good players that aren’t particularly good leaders, their coaches or managers will say that they “lead by example.” It’s a polite way of saying they don’t lead. - Tom Powers
Post #: 10953
RE: NBA Basketball - 8/12/2017 10:36:21 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

We have already established that you are quite wrong in that belief. Very very very wrong.

Nothing has been established regarding that. I'm not even saying he is a bad player. I'm declaring him a good player maybe even a top ten PG in the league. The only way people come up with any better than that is by looking at his strengths and ignoring his weaknesses.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 10954
RE: NBA Basketball - 8/13/2017 11:11:41 AM   
TJSweens

Wrong again

When you have good players that aren’t particularly good leaders, their coaches or managers will say that they “lead by example.” It’s a polite way of saying they don’t lead. - Tom Powers
Post #: 10955
RE: NBA Basketball - 8/13/2017 2:13:39 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

Wrong again

LOL you have your right to be wrong. I mean disagree with me.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 10956
RE: NBA Basketball - 8/13/2017 2:19:00 PM   
kgdabom

I think I posted this before but one more time.
PGs better than Irving.
Curry
Westbrook
Harden ( I think you have to count him as a PG. That is what he played last year.)
Wall
Paul
Lillard
Thomas
Lowry

Those are for absolute certain.
Arguably better.

Walker
Dragic
Bledsoe
Conley

So Irving settles in somewhere from 9-13.
I looked at various best PG in the league lists and one actually had Irving 3rd but most had him 7th or later.
This link had Teague at 8 Irving at 12. I enjoyed that one.
https://www.denverstiffs.com/2017/7/12/15949496/power-ranking-the-50-best-point-guards-in-the-nba

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 8/13/2017 2:33:16 PM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 10957
RE: NBA Basketball - 8/13/2017 7:17:01 PM   
TJSweens

The ones you list as arguably better are not better. And your opinions on where Irving ranks among PG is irrelevant to the fact that Irving is now, always has been and always will be better than Wiggins. Really the only way to see Wig as being as good or possibly better over time is to suffer a severe case of homerism.

Post #: 10958
RE: NBA Basketball - 8/13/2017 7:34:02 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

The ones you list as arguably better are not better. And your opinions on where Irving ranks among PG is irrelevant to the fact that Irving is now, always has been and always will be better than Wiggins. Really the only way to see Wig as being as good or possibly better over time is to suffer a severe case of homerism.

I agree that Irving at this point is better than Wiggins, however they are both just volume scorers who offer very little else. Irving does it a bit more efficiently. Still Wiggins is 22 and a much better athlete. I believe he will become a better player and IMO of course that is not homerism. However, even if Wiggins Never gets better than Irving, considering we are very lacking at SG/SF and have a PG that is pretty good. Trading Wiggins for Irving would totally destroy our roster balance.

Regarding the arguably better PGs it is fine if you don't think they are better, but they are arguably better not just IMO but in many opinions posted around the internet of best PGs in the league. Irving as stated is somewhere in the 9-13 range of best PGs in the league and just isn't worth screwing over our roster and dumping a young former #1 pick who was one of the best scorers in the league last year and only getting better.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 10959
RE: NBA Basketball - 8/13/2017 10:01:22 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

PGs better than Irving.
Curry
Westbrook
Harden ( I think you have to count him as a PG. That is what he played last year.)
Wall
Paul
Lillard
Thomas
Lowry

Arguably better.

Walker
Dragic
Bledsoe
Conley

I looked at various best PG in the league lists and one actually had Irving 3rd but most had him 7th or later.
https://www.denverstiffs.com/2017/7/12/15949496/power-ranking-the-50-best-point-guards-in-the-nba

Irving, Lillard, Thomas and Lowry are basically the same player. All offense, minimal defense players who would rather score than assist.
Post #: 10960
RE: NBA Basketball - 8/14/2017 12:45:56 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

PGs better than Irving.
Curry
Westbrook
Wall
Paul
Lillard
Thomas
Lowry

Arguably better.

Walker
Dragic
Bledsoe
Conley

Irving, Lillard, Thomas and Lowry are basically the same player. All offense, minimal defense players who would rather score than assist.

They are all score first point guards agreed. However, I think Lowry and Thomas assist quite nicely. They all defend better than Irving and even Lillard is more aware of having teammates on the floor.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 10961
RE: NBA Basketball - 8/14/2017 9:20:13 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

PGs better than Irving.
Curry
Westbrook
Wall
Paul
Lillard
Thomas
Lowry

Arguably better.

Walker
Dragic
Bledsoe
Conley

They are all score first point guards agreed. However, I think Lowry and Thomas assist quite nicely. They all defend better than Irving and even Lillard is more aware of having teammates on the floor.

The thing is Irving has done it on the big stage. The others have not.

Advantage: Irving
Post #: 10962
RE: NBA Basketball - 8/14/2017 9:27:15 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

PGs better than Irving.
Curry
Westbrook
Wall
Paul
Lillard
Thomas
Lowry

Arguably better.

Walker
Dragic
Bledsoe
Conley

+1
Who on the list has made it to the last 3 finals
Curry
Irving

Who on the list has made it to any finals?
Curry
Irving
Westbrook

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 10963
RE: NBA Basketball - 8/14/2017 10:35:34 AM   
David Levine

Durability is the only place I can put Lillard ahead of Irving. They're remarkably close as players overall.

Irving is the better shooter. 43/37 for Dame, 46/38 for Kyrie. Lillard gets to the line a little more.

Playoff shooting has, so far, increased that gap:

Irving: 52 games: 47/42
Lillard: 41 games: 41/35

Assists are pretty much a wash.
Lillard: 6.1/36, 29 AST%
Irving: 5.8/36, 30 AST%

Dame gets .5 rebound more/36, Irving gets .5 steal more/36.

Neither plays a lick of defense.

Lillard, despite having 1 less year in the league is 2 full years older than Irving as well.
Post #: 10964
RE: NBA Basketball - 8/14/2017 1:59:37 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

PGs better than Irving.
Curry
Westbrook
Wall
Paul
Lillard
Thomas
Lowry

Arguably better.

Walker
Dragic
Bledsoe
Conley

If those guys were playing with LeBron they would have made it to the big stage as well and probably would have done as well or better.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 10965
RE: NBA Basketball - 8/14/2017 2:02:47 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

Durability is the only place I can put Lillard ahead of Irving. They're remarkably close as players overall.

Irving is the better shooter. 43/37 for Dame, 46/38 for Kyrie. Lillard gets to the line a little more.

Playoff shooting has, so far, increased that gap:

Irving: 52 games: 47/42
Lillard: 41 games: 41/35

Assists are pretty much a wash.
Lillard: 6.1/36, 29 AST%
Irving: 5.8/36, 30 AST%

Dame gets .5 rebound more/36, Irving gets .5 steal more/36.

Neither plays a lick of defense.

Lillard, despite having 1 less year in the league is 2 full years older than Irving as well.

Regardless of who gets more total assists, Lillard is the more willing passer from the eye test. Kyrie just goes into his I am going to shoot the ball no matter what mode and I admit the results are pretty good. However the results would be even better if he didn't have that shoot no matter what mentality.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 10966
RE: NBA Basketball - 8/14/2017 2:08:30 PM   
David Levine

The other thing to consider with Irving vs the other guys is he doesn't run the offense for his team like they do. He's used as a secondary creator and plays off the ball a lot because everything is designed around LeBron.

His passing numbers were considerably higher before LeBron came back to Cleveland, and I'd expect them to jump again if he played here (or anywhere where he'd be the primary ballhandler again.
Post #: 10967
RE: NBA Basketball - 8/14/2017 2:20:35 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

The other thing to consider with Irving vs the other guys is he doesn't run the offense for his team like they do. He's used as a secondary creator and plays off the ball a lot because everything is designed around LeBron.

His passing numbers were considerably higher before LeBron came back to Cleveland, and I'd expect them to jump again if he played here (or anywhere where he'd be the primary ballhandler again.

I don't want a very unwilling passer to be our primary ball handler. Pass on Irving.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 10968
RE: NBA Basketball - 8/14/2017 2:31:35 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

Excellent point. He showed himself to be a more willing distributor pre LeBron. His first couple of years he was also the only real scoring option on the team. It's hard to pick up the assist when the other guy can't hit the shot. It's like I said, the pick and roll options on this team with Kat and Irving would be like nothing we have ever seen here before.

Post #: 10969
RE: NBA Basketball - 8/14/2017 3:15:03 PM   
SoMnFan

Last season, the Golden State Warriors blitzed their way into the NBA Finals en route to the 2017 NBA title. What has changed for Stephen Curry, Kevin Durant & Co.?

Not much, which is why they're the overwhelming favorite yet again to repeat at Western Conference champs.

We asked the ESPN Forecast panel of 44 experts to rank its top three choices for the 2017-18 Western Conference champions, with a first-place vote receiving five points, a second-place vote receiving three and a third-place vote receiving one.

Here are the results:

Forecast: 2017-18 West champs

1. Golden State Warriors
First-place votes: 44
Total points: 220
2016-17: W, NBA Finals

Comments: Golden State didn't drop a single game in the Western Conference playoffs and returns with 10 of its top 11 in minutes played. Though Kevin Durant and Stephen Curry were never serious threats to leave, they managed to re-sign the All-Star duo as well as Andre Iguodala, Shaun Livingston, Zaza Pachulia, David West and JaVale McGee, all of whom played specific roles and were on the open market.

The only player not returning is Ian Clark, who will be replaced by Nick Young and Omri Casspi, two floor-stretchers likely to fit in seamlessly with the Warriors' free-flowing offense. ESPN's Real Plus-Minus pegs the Warriors for 62 wins, a total that might seem modest yet still easily outpaces every team out West. -- Micah Adams, ESPN Stats & Info

2. Houston Rockets
First-place votes: 0
Total points: 108
2016-17: L, West semis

Summer Forecast 2017

Comments: Instead of lying down and ceding the West to the Warriors, Houston GM Daryl Morey orchestrated a salary cap clinic, trading for Chris Paul to create a two-headed point guard attack unlike any we've really ever seen and adding versatile wings PJ Tucker and Luc Mbah a Moute. Morey might not be done either, as the Rockets have been linked to a Carmelo Anthony trade for much of the summer.

After running virtually everything through James Harden last season en route to breaking every 3-point shooting record, Houston will have varied options and the personnel to play any number of ways. -- Adams

3. San Antonio Spurs
Total points: 49
2016-17: L, West finals

Comments: In a whirlwind summer defined by contenders making splashy moves, leave it to the Spurs to mostly stand pat. Aside from swapping in Rudy Gay for the departed Jonathon Simmons, San Antonio seems content to roll with the group that had the Warriors down big Game 1 of the Western Conference finals until Kawhi Leonard's untimely injury.

It's surely a small sample size, but in the 92 minutes that Leonard was on the floor against the Warriors last season, including both the regular season and playoffs, the Spurs outscored the champs by 31 points. -- Adams

Also receiving votes: Oklahoma City Thunder (17), LA Clippers (1), Minnesota Timberwolves (1).

I wasn't shocked until I got to the last line. Minnesota Timberwolves (1).
Post #: 10970
RE: NBA Basketball - 8/14/2017 3:47:26 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

Last season, the Golden State Warriors blitzed their way into the NBA Finals en route to the 2017 NBA title. What has changed for Stephen Curry, Kevin Durant & Co.?

Not much, which is why they're the overwhelming favorite yet again to repeat at Western Conference champs.

We asked the ESPN Forecast panel of 44 experts to rank its top three choices for the 2017-18 Western Conference champions, with a first-place vote receiving five points, a second-place vote receiving three and a third-place vote receiving one.

Here are the results:

1. Golden State Warriors

Comments: Golden State didn't drop a single game in the Western Conference playoffs and returns with 10 of its top 11 in minutes played. Though Kevin Durant and Stephen Curry were never serious threats to leave, they managed to re-sign the All-Star duo as well as Andre Iguodala, Shaun Livingston, Zaza Pachulia, David West and JaVale McGee, all of whom played specific roles and were on the open market.

The only player not returning is Ian Clark, who will be replaced by Nick Young and Omri Casspi, two floor-stretchers likely to fit in seamlessly with the Warriors' free-flowing offense. ESPN's Real Plus-Minus pegs the Warriors for 62 wins, a total that might seem modest yet still easily outpaces every team out West. -- Micah Adams, ESPN Stats & Info

2. Houston Rockets

Summer Forecast 2017

Comments: Instead of lying down and ceding the West to the Warriors, Houston GM Daryl Morey orchestrated a salary cap clinic, trading for Chris Paul to create a two-headed point guard attack unlike any we've really ever seen and adding versatile wings PJ Tucker and Luc Mbah a Moute. Morey might not be done either, as the Rockets have been linked to a Carmelo Anthony trade for much of the summer.

After running virtually everything through James Harden last season en route to breaking every 3-point shooting record, Houston will have varied options and the personnel to play any number of ways. -- Adams

3. San Antonio Spurs

Comments: In a whirlwind summer defined by contenders making splashy moves, leave it to the Spurs to mostly stand pat. Aside from swapping in Rudy Gay for the departed Jonathon Simmons, San Antonio seems content to roll with the group that had the Warriors down big Game 1 of the Western Conference finals until Kawhi Leonard's untimely injury.

It's surely a small sample size, but in the 92 minutes that Leonard was on the floor against the Warriors last season, including both the regular season and playoffs, the Spurs outscored the champs by 31 points. -- Adams

Also receiving votes: Oklahoma City Thunder (17), LA Clippers (1), Minnesota Timberwolves (1).

So the ESPN experts have us in a tie for 5/6 position. Was us only getting one third place vote the shocking part or were you shocked that we got one third place vote out of 44?

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 8/14/2017 3:49:03 PM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 10971
RE: NBA Basketball - 8/14/2017 4:30:26 PM   
Phil Riewer

KG,
Good thing you didn't see the part about Rudy Gay with the Spurs...lol

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 10972
RE: NBA Basketball - 8/14/2017 4:35:55 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

KG,
Good thing you didn't see the part about Rudy Gay with the Spurs...lol

I saw that part. I'm a fan of Rudy Gay. Always wanted him to join the Wolves during the Kevin Love years.
I think injuries have taken a toll on him. he is a shadow of what he used to be.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 10973
RE: NBA Basketball - 8/15/2017 5:38:17 AM   
Elliot

quote:

Here are the results:

1. Golden State Warriors

2. Houston Rockets

Summer Forecast 2017

3. San Antonio Spurs

Yeah. And someone also cast a vote for (gulp) the Clippers.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Clippers don't make the playoffs at all.

Life is just what happens to you,
While you're busy making other plans

~ John Lennon
Post #: 10974
RE: NBA Basketball - 8/15/2017 10:37:24 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Elliot

quote:

Here are the results:

1. Golden State Warriors

2. Houston Rockets

Summer Forecast 2017

3. San Antonio Spurs

Yeah. And someone also cast a vote for (gulp) the Clippers.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Clippers don't make the playoffs at all.

My level of surprise is greater on the Wolves only getting 1 third place vote out of 44. I would have expected a few more.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 10975
Page:   <<   < prev  437 438 [439] 440 441   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: NBA Basketball Page: <<   < prev  437 438 [439] 440 441   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode