Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Vikes New Stadium Thread

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Vikes New Stadium Thread Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Vikes New Stadium Thread - 5/13/2013 9:48:50 PM   
kurt bilben

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dave Odle

It's daring and bold. It's got such an architectural flare to it. This is the kind of stadium that is ahead of its time. I remember when cars in the 2000's starting rolling off of assembly lines and they appeared very futuristic w/ their curves and aerodynamic features. This is the same thing. Even in ten or fifteen years it won't look outdated. Much like technology and progress, this is the wave of the future. All of the natural light entering the facility gives it an organic feel. The inside looks even better. This stadium will serve as a template for those future cities that have to decide between open air vs. retractable roof. There didn't seem to be any other options, but this is a good compromise. When I saw that there was no retractable roof, I thought I'd hate it. This, however, is unique and forward-thinking. There are so may things that are changing for our beloved Vikes. State-of-the-art stadium, GM kicking ass and taking names, and a youth movement w/ players. It's exciting. Jerryworld, eat your heart out!

Vikings win the big one! I'd like to see that as a change for our beloved Vikings.
Post #: 76
RE: Vikes New Stadium Thread - 5/13/2013 10:14:45 PM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

ORIGINAL: El Duderino

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

I'm loving it... at least on first impression. Absolutely loving it.

I wanted a stadium like no other. This seems to fill the bill.

And I agree with Lynn. Paired with Target Field this could very well be the best stadium combination in the country.

Don't forget the X - it's a top 5 hockey arena, and a top concert arena as well.

You are correct. The X is to hockey what Target Field is to baseball.

Target Field is just more on my mind because I've only been to two Wild games, but many more Twins games. I consider Target Field the best live sporting experience of my life. I love that place.

President Pence will be worse.
Post #: 77
RE: Vikes New Stadium Thread - 5/13/2013 10:23:37 PM   
TheGonz

Holy hell, this is going to be amazing.

It looks like Superman's dad's place on Krypton.

It's the Fortress of Attitude!

And, much like Teri Hatcher's chest in that one episode of Seinfeld. . .it's real, and it's spectacular.

The question is not "Who will let me?" Rather, the question is "Who will stop me?"
Post #: 78
RE: Vikes New Stadium Thread - 5/13/2013 10:26:37 PM   
El Duderino

The top view looks like the world's largest garden shed.

The bottom view, on the other hand, is absomuthafuckinlutely magnificent.

The Dude Abides
Post #: 79
RE: Vikes New Stadium Thread - 5/13/2013 10:28:05 PM   
El Duderino

Here, we have the Jawa-mobile from Star Wars.

The Dude Abides
Post #: 80
RE: Vikes New Stadium Thread - 5/13/2013 10:29:43 PM   
El Duderino

Clear roof from above.

The Dude Abides
Post #: 81
RE: Vikes New Stadium Thread - 5/13/2013 10:32:08 PM   
Ian Joseph

I loved it when I first saw it.. And it has grown on me since then.

Hate the message, not the messenger.

Enjoy the process; crave the goal.

Believe.
Post #: 82
RE: Vikes New Stadium Thread - 5/13/2013 10:32:34 PM   
El Duderino

Note the crazy shadows on the plaza caused by the sun coming through the roof and window.

The Dude Abides
Post #: 83
RE: Vikes New Stadium Thread - 5/13/2013 10:34:45 PM   
El Duderino

Stunning approach from the west. Just stunning.

The Dude Abides
Post #: 84
RE: Vikes New Stadium Thread - 5/13/2013 10:40:06 PM   
El Duderino

This one shows the doors open with a full house. One thing I'm curious about is will those doors be open before every game, even if it's -20 out? Big door means big draft, I would think.

The Dude Abides
Post #: 85
RE: Vikes New Stadium Thread - 5/13/2013 10:42:15 PM   
Ian Joseph

You see how that purple just flows in those shadows?! Daaaaaaaaamn!

I'm in love lol!!

#TheCathedral

Believe.
Post #: 86
RE: Vikes New Stadium Thread - 5/13/2013 10:43:41 PM   
El Duderino

And it's peppered with lounges like this:

The Dude Abides
Post #: 87
RE: Vikes New Stadium Thread - 5/13/2013 10:46:05 PM   
Ian Joseph

I loved that part of the presentation.. I think they said 1200 HD TVs..

Believe.
Post #: 88
RE: Vikes New Stadium Thread - 5/13/2013 11:01:06 PM   
kurt bilben

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian Joseph

I'm in love lol!!

#TheCathedral

Can you see your seats in that picture?
Post #: 89
RE: Vikes New Stadium Thread - 5/13/2013 11:06:57 PM   
Ian Joseph

quote:

ORIGINAL: kurt bilben

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian Joseph

I'm in love lol!!

#TheCathedral

Can you see your seats in that picture?

No.. I haven't decided which side I want to be on (if I'll even have a choice).

I'll know in a year lol.

Believe.
Post #: 90
RE: Vikes New Stadium Thread - 5/13/2013 11:07:52 PM   
DeLain

quote:

This one shows the doors open with a full house. One thing I'm curious about is will those doors be open before every game, even if it's -20 out? Big door means big draft, I would think.

I am curious which side of the stadium is best to sit on....under the shaded part of the roof looking towards the sun...or sitting under the sun looking towrds the dark side.
Post #: 91
RE: Vikes New Stadium Thread - 5/13/2013 11:10:53 PM   
Ian Joseph

Probably depends on the day and time..

Believe.
Post #: 92
RE: Vikes New Stadium Thread - 5/13/2013 11:17:58 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Super Bowl home, boy.

I do think it is wonderful that football can bring people together from different persuasions. We need more of that and less of what divides us.
Post #: 93
RE: Vikes New Stadium Thread - 5/13/2013 11:31:22 PM   
thebigo

quote:

The top view looks like the world's largest garden shed.

The bottom view, on the other hand, is absomuthafuckinlutely magnificent.

The house that AD built.
Post #: 94
RE: Vikes New Stadium Thread - 5/13/2013 11:35:35 PM   
thebigo

I would've thought Bohumm would have made an appearance here, harumphing, trying to bring everyone down.
Post #: 95
RE: Vikes New Stadium Thread - 5/13/2013 11:38:22 PM   
El Duderino

My impressions based on the sketches (which are subject to review by the city at this point, and which will very likely change even if rubber stamped by Mpls, as these things are wont to do):

There was an awful lot of talk about what other stadium we hoped this would look like. Some wanted a retractable roof palace, like Reliant or Cowboy. Some wanted a neoclassic outdoor coliseum, like Gillette or FedEx. I personally was hoping for a more intimate urban stadium, akin to Century Link or even new Soldier field.

None of us got what we were looking for.

And that's just fine. We got something entirely unto itself. The Wilfs clearly wanted to set themselves apart, because this building is not what you end up with when working from a template. I've been to a dozen stadiums and ball parks in my time, and I've driven by as many more. I have never seen anything like this, in person or on TV. In terms of uniqueness, this is in the class of Allianz Arena in Munich, or Beijing National Stadium (the Bird's Nest), or ... I'm having trouble coming up with anything else. Maybe Guangdong Olympic Stadium? At any rate, this is a bold statement that looks mostly promising. We'll have to see how it looks once it's built to judge whether it lives up to that promise.

I gotta say, I think they made the right decision with roof, at least from a cost/benefit standpoint. 25-50 million will make a much bigger impact spread throughout the building rather than concentrated on one feature that will get used four games per year. And honestly, I think the clear roof combined with the enormous doors gives you just as much of an impression of being outside as most retractable roofs I have seen (though the greenhouse plan Atlanta is considering looks like the real deal).

< Message edited by El Duderino -- 5/13/2013 11:40:12 PM >

The Dude Abides
Post #: 96
RE: Vikes New Stadium Thread - 5/13/2013 11:56:17 PM   
Ian Joseph

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

I would've thought Bohumm would have made an appearance here, harumphing, trying to bring everyone down.

Even if he did, would it matter?

Believe.
Post #: 97
RE: Vikes New Stadium Thread - 5/14/2013 1:33:18 AM   
DeLain

Approximately 1.6 million square feet.
65,000 seats, including some of the closest in the NFL; expandable to 73,000 for a Super Bowl.
Up to 125 suites and 7,500 club seats, including suites and clubs at the field level, some of which will put fans closer to the sideline than in any other NFL stadium.
Seven levels, including two general admission concourses with 360-degree circulation and various views into the bowl.
Highest quality HD video boards in the NFL located in both the east and west end zones and video ribbon boards throughout the interior of the seating bowl.
Over 1,200 HD flat screen televisions throughout the concourse for all fans in attendance to view the game.
Capability to host more events than any other large stadium in the world, including NFL football and a Super Bowl, MLS soccer, NCAA basketball and baseball, high school sporting events, motocross, concerts, conventions, marching band competitions.
Access points to the city and stadium site from all four sides of the stadium.
Large west plaza (over two acres in size) for game day, non-game day and seasonal public gatherings as a connection to the downtown corridor.
Lightest and most efficient roof structure in the nation for a major new stadium, which will include a single large steel super truss providing primary support for the main long span roof.
Largest clear ethylene tetrafluoroethylene (ETFE) roof in the world and the first on a stadium in the nation, allowing connection to the outdoors from a climate-controlled environment.
Largest glass pivoting doors in the world that will open to the west plaza.
Application for LEED-certified status.
Parking ramps with skyways from the north and south sides of the stadium and connections from the facility to the downtown skyway system.
Post #: 98
RE: Vikes New Stadium Thread - 5/14/2013 6:23:22 AM   
Troy Newell

quote:

ORIGINAL: DeLain

65,000 seats, including some of the closest in the NFL; expandable to 73,000 for a Super Bowl.
Up to 125 suites and 7,500 club seats, including suites and clubs at the field level, some of which will put fans closer to the sideline than in any other NFL stadium.
Seven levels, including two general admission concourses with 360-degree circulation and various views into the bowl.
Highest quality HD video boards in the NFL located in both the east and west end zones and video ribbon boards throughout the interior of the seating bowl.
Over 1,200 HD flat screen televisions throughout the concourse for all fans in attendance to view the game.
Capability to host more events than any other large stadium in the world, including NFL football and a Super Bowl, MLS soccer, NCAA basketball and baseball, high school sporting events, motocross, concerts, conventions, marching band competitions.
Large west plaza (over two acres in size) for game day, non-game day and seasonal public gatherings as a connection to the downtown corridor.
Lightest and most efficient roof structure in the nation for a major new stadium, which will include a single large steel super truss providing primary support for the main long span roof.
Largest clear ethylene tetrafluoroethylene (ETFE) roof in the world and the first on a stadium in the nation, allowing connection to the outdoors from a climate-controlled environment.
Parking ramps with skyways from the north and south sides of the stadium and connections from the facility to the downtown skyway system.

Never been to the state of Minnesota but it looks like I might have come check it out in a few years!
Post #: 99
RE: Vikes New Stadium Thread - 5/14/2013 7:50:57 AM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: DeLain

Ooh, Application for LEED-certified status, I hadn't heard about that before.

The Skyway connections are great, because currently the closest you can get is about 4 blocks away. So on cold ass days, you don't have to freeze your ass off on the 6-7 block walk from $5 parking.
Post #: 100
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Vikes New Stadium Thread Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode