Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Idle Talk, 4th chapter

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> Idle Talk, 4th chapter Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Idle Talk, 4th chapter - 6/9/2013 3:57:45 PM   
Lynn G.

The other thread has been clodgy for a couple of weeks. Fresh start anyone?

I'll start with an observation that my lawn sprinkler is well rested this season. Except for that, this continuous rain can bite me.

< Message edited by Jim Frenette -- 6/14/2013 7:51:47 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Idle Talk, 4th chapter - 6/9/2013 3:59:51 PM   
Lynn G.

Although a couple of my perennial plants have never looked better....
Post #: 2
RE: Idle Talk, 4th chapter - 6/9/2013 5:19:59 PM   
Boyd Tesch

It is nice to see lots of green
Post #: 3
RE: Idle Talk, 4th chapter - 6/9/2013 5:41:01 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Send it our way. Stage 3 drought already.
Post #: 4
RE: Idle Talk, 4th chapter - 6/9/2013 7:12:03 PM   
Senators and Twins

Thanks to everyone who sent me birthday wishes. And to quote Todd G, how did you know, since I didn't get a "banner"?

Many people who major in English in college go on nonetheless to lead normal and productive lives.
Post #: 5
RE: Idle Talk, 4th chapter - 6/9/2013 7:26:30 PM   
SoMnFan

Solid rain here for days.
Only totalling a couple inches, but we'll gladly take every one.
Awesome.
Post #: 6
RE: Idle Talk, 4th chapter - 6/9/2013 9:44:02 PM   
SoMnFan

Indiana is the first Big Ten team since Michigan in 1984 to reach the CWS

I'm not sure if we should be amazed, or ashamed.

THATS RIDICULOUS.  
Post #: 7
RE: Idle Talk, 4th chapter - 6/9/2013 10:17:45 PM   
SoMnFan

If I remember right, there are some others here interested in what lies beneath .....

DULUTH, Minn. - Nearly 100 years after the Henry B. Smith freighter went down during a November storm in Lake Superior, a group of shipwreck hunters believes it has found the ship — and much of it is largely intact.
The Duluth News Tribune reported ( http://bit.ly/11on0WD) the group found the wreck last month in about 535 feet of water off the shore of Marquette, Mich. The group says it hasn't seen the name of the ship on the wreck yet, but all signs indicate it's the Smith, sitting amid a spilled load of iron ore.
"It's the most satisfying find of my shipwreck-hunting career," said Jerry Eliason, of Cloquet, part of the group that has found many lost ships in recent years.
"It's a fantastic find," said maritime historian Frederick Stonehouse, of Marquette, who has written about the Smith. "I'm excited at the opportunity to look at the video and see if we can learn the cause of the wreck, to write the final chapter of the ship."
The Henry B. Smith and its crew of 25 disappeared after sailing into the Great Lakes Storm of 1913. The storm, one of the biggest on the lakes, wrecked more than a dozen ships and killed about 250 sailors. The Smith was safe in the Marquette harbor on Nov. 7 and 8, and loading iron ore, but on the evening of Nov. 9, Capt. James Owen decided to leave port for Cleveland.
"The lake was still rolling, but there seemed to be a lull in the wind, the velocity having dropped to 32 mph," shipwreck expert and longtime University of Minnesota Duluth professor Julius Wolff wrote in "Lake Superior Shipwrecks." "The gale ... should have blown itself out. But, this was no conventional storm. In taking his vessel out of the safety of Marquette Harbor, Captain James Owen sailed into eternity."
Sailors on other boats reported seeing Smith deckhands battening down hatches as it went onto the open lake, Stonehouse wrote in his book, "Went Missing." Other witnesses watched the ship make a turn to port, as if Owen had decided to head back to shore.
Then the Smith vanished — and entered Great Lakes lore as a "ghost ship."
Eliason isn't revealing exactly how his group found the Smith, because he hopes to use the same method to find other wrecks. But he said it wasn't a case of merely running a grid pattern over the lake in hopes of getting lucky. He said the group used a culmination of hunches, research and data to pinpoint a specific search area.
The data pointed them toward a possible wreck about 30 miles north of Marquette, and the hunters found the Smith just 20 minutes after dropping a sonar unit into the water. An underwater camera captured enough detail in videos and photos to convince the group that they found the Smith.
"A number of wrecks we've found have been over the span of 20 years searching, multiple times a year," said Kraig Smith, a member of the hunting group from Rice Lake, Wis. "Going and finding a wreck 20-some miles offshore in the span of a couple hours is extraordinary."
Fellow hunter Ken Merryman, of Minneapolis, said it appears the ship is broken in the middle, but is largely intact in the front. The stern has more damage, Merryman said.
"It's a beautiful wreck" with great visibility, he said. "No zebra mussels; clean."
The crew will return to the site this summer in hopes of getting more questions answered. But the group is already starting to piece together events that led to the Smith's demise.
"It's very clear to me that this one appeared to have broken on the surface, spilled its iron ore contents over the bottom, and then landed on the iron ore," said Eliason, who had been considering retiring from wreck hunting partly because he wasn't expecting any more significant finds on Lake Superior.
"This was a gift from the lake gods," Eliason said.
Post #: 8
RE: Idle Talk, 4th chapter - 6/10/2013 8:48:11 AM   
Lynn G.

Cool, thanks for posting the article. I had seen the headline online yesterday, meant to go back to it and read the article, and then forgot.
Post #: 9
RE: Idle Talk, 4th chapter - 6/10/2013 9:51:41 AM   
Dave E

George! Happy birthday, a day late.
Post #: 10
RE: Idle Talk, 4th chapter - 6/10/2013 12:50:22 PM   
CPAMAN

Back from a fantastic hunting trip to Argentina! Here is a quick summary of the highlights:

490 ducks (10 species), 480 pigeons, 250 doves (only had about 80 minutes to hunt them) for four guys. Limits every hunt for ducks except on evening 10 short. Extreme fair-chase hunting. Because of severe drought in some areas, we had to travel up to 90 minutes some mornings to hunt. One morning we had a 40 minute boat ride into some of the deepest swamp backholes you could possibly imagine. Guides had to get out of the boat and push through heavy floating bog, lily pads, and swamp grass for up to a 1/4 mile at a time. Most of our hunts were in standing water two feet to thigh high. No heated built-up blinds. This was hardcore duck hunting. There were small crocodiles in the swamps we hunted. We went into the swamps in pitch dark and could see their eyeballs with flashlights. Saw emus, capybaras, water buffaloe, a black panther, red stag deer, and a mini-species Argentine deer that is very similar to the African duiker. We ate nearly a quarter cow in five days. 30 ounce cut T-bone steaks, and tenderloin, filet mignon, and New York cuts were all nearly two pounds!

The day we hunted pigeons, they brought tables and chairs along with linens and fine dining ware and we had steak and Brazilian sausages for lunch along with tossed salad and wine. Unbelievable lodges out in the middle of nowhere! Got to see three entire States of Central Argentine ranging from swampy river flooded basins to seasonal deserts with many species of cactus and shrub trees. Oh, we also shot beautiful Argentine parakeets (a larger variety about twice of the size of a pet parakeet). These birds number in the millions similar to the doves and pigeons. All kill except for what we ate a couple of evenings for lunch/dinner went to subsistence peasants of which there are many. These people are extremely gracious when you give them a couple of dozen ducks. It can feed a couple of families for an entire week. So at the end of the day, you know that a couple of dozen people will eat well for a week because of each hunt.

The lodge in north central Argentina has Russian boar hunting along with havelina (a smaller variety wild pig with two inch tusks), red stag, mini-deer, water buffalo, mountain lion (there are too many in the area that kill livestock), and Argentine goat hunting. I plan to return probably in June of 2015. If anyone is interested, this is the experience of a lifetime! Paco Riverez was a great host. He is originally from Spain and has now lived in Argentina for half of his 36 years. He personally drove us three hours to the final airport shuttle service in Santiago del Estero, and helped us with airline check-in service. A first class trip and hunting experience for the toughest of hunters.

Oh, and free open bar every evening and beer after each hunt! Wine served with every meal except breakfast. Great Argentine and Chilean wine served.

Minnesota professional sports can't be awful forever, can they?
Post #: 11
RE: Idle Talk, 4th chapter - 6/10/2013 1:06:50 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: CPAMAN

Back from a fantastic hunting trip to Argentina! Here is a quick summary of the highlights:

490 ducks (10 species), 480 pigeons, 250 doves (only had about 80 minutes to hunt them) for four guys. Limits every hunt for ducks except on evening 10 short. Extreme fair-chase hunting. Because of severe drought in some areas, we had to travel up to 90 minutes some mornings to hunt. One morning we had a 40 minute boat ride into some of the deepest swamp backholes you could possibly imagine. Guides had to get out of the boat and push through heavy floating bog, lily pads, and swamp grass for up to a 1/4 mile at a time. Most of our hunts were in standing water two feet to thigh high. No heated built-up blinds. This was hardcore duck hunting. There were small crocodiles in the swamps we hunted. We went into the swamps in pitch dark and could see their eyeballs with flashlights. Saw emus, capybaras, water buffaloe, a black panther, red stag deer, and a mini-species Argentine deer that is very similar to the African duiker. We ate nearly a quarter cow in five days. 30 ounce cut T-bone steaks, and tenderloin, filet mignon, and New York cuts were all nearly two pounds!

The day we hunted pigeons, they brought tables and chairs along with linens and fine dining ware and we had steak and Brazilian sausages for lunch along with tossed salad and wine. Unbelievable lodges out in the middle of nowhere! Got to see three entire States of Central Argentine ranging from swampy river flooded basins to seasonal deserts with many species of cactus and shrub trees. Oh, we also shot beautiful Argentine parakeets (a larger variety about twice of the size of a pet parakeet). These birds number in the millions similar to the doves and pigeons. All kill except for what we ate a couple of evenings for lunch/dinner went to subsistence peasants of which there are many. These people are extremely gracious when you give them a couple of dozen ducks. It can feed a couple of families for an entire week. So at the end of the day, you know that a couple of dozen people will eat well for a week because of each hunt.

The lodge in north central Argentina has Russian boar hunting along with havelina (a smaller variety wild pig with two inch tusks), red stag, mini-deer, water buffalo, mountain lion (there are too many in the area that kill livestock), and Argentine goat hunting. I plan to return probably in June of 2015. If anyone is interested, this is the experience of a lifetime! Paco Riverez was a great host. He is originally from Spain and has now lived in Argentina for half of his 36 years. He personally drove us three hours to the final airport shuttle service in Santiago del Estero, and helped us with airline check-in service. A first class trip and hunting experience for the toughest of hunters.

Oh, and free open bar every evening and beer after each hunt! Wine served with every meal except breakfast. Great Argentine and Chilean wine served.

I know nothing about hunting (and have no interest in hunting), but it sounds like an interesting trip. 

And maybe there's a tax write-off in there somewhere?...you donated the ducks.  Next time donate them to a charitable organization instead of a family.  Make it work.

To get you off my mind
Just takes a little time
But time stood still
When you said goodbye
Post #: 12
RE: Idle Talk, 4th chapter - 6/10/2013 1:58:37 PM   
Pete M.

Huh. And here I was expecting at least one or two stories involving public defecation.
Post #: 13
RE: Idle Talk, 4th chapter - 6/10/2013 1:59:45 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pete M.

Huh. And here I was expecting at least one or two stories involving public defecation.

You asked for it, and now I'm sure we will get it.

To get you off my mind
Just takes a little time
But time stood still
When you said goodbye
Post #: 14
RE: Idle Talk, 4th chapter - 6/10/2013 2:14:26 PM   
bstinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

I'm sure he probably went a little when told he was standing in crocodile infested waters.
Post #: 15
RE: Idle Talk, 4th chapter - 6/10/2013 2:19:09 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

quote:

quote:

I'm sure he probably went a little when told he was standing in crocodile infested waters.

To get you off my mind
Just takes a little time
But time stood still
When you said goodbye
Post #: 16
RE: Idle Talk, 4th chapter - 6/10/2013 2:28:30 PM   
Dave E

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Sounds like an amazing experience, Mark. Wow. I don't hunt either, but I can appreciate how amazing it must have been to be somewhere completely off the grid. Cool!

Are you thinking of hiring Matt to do your taxes?
Post #: 17
RE: Idle Talk, 4th chapter - 6/10/2013 9:44:24 PM  1 votes
Todd M

quote:

Oh, we also shot beautiful Argentine parakeets

Wow way to kill stuff!

Don't care about the food donations. There's something wrong with the enjoyment of mowing down life.

Yeah, killed four, five hundred, things <hawk pattoo> I'm awesome.

Let's see some magic.
Post #: 18
RE: Idle Talk, 4th chapter - 6/10/2013 10:15:40 PM   
CPAMAN

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dave E

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Sounds like an amazing experience, Mark. Wow. I don't hunt either, but I can appreciate how amazing it must have been to be somewhere completely off the grid. Cool!

Are you thinking of hiring Matt to do your taxes?

Ummm,Matt isn't telling me anything I haven't already thought of if you know what I mean.

Post #: 19
RE: Idle Talk, 4th chapter - 6/10/2013 10:16:53 PM   
CPAMAN

quote:

quote:

My hunting partner John sharted in his waders.

Post #: 20
RE: Idle Talk, 4th chapter - 6/10/2013 11:48:26 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

quote:

Oh, we also shot beautiful Argentine parakeets

Wow way to kill stuff!

Don't care about the food donations. There's something wrong with the enjoyment of mowing down life.

Yeah, killed four, five hundred, things <hawk pattoo> I'm awesome.

Same thoughts.

< Message edited by SoMnFan -- 6/11/2013 6:40:07 AM >
Post #: 21
RE: Idle Talk, 4th chapter - 6/11/2013 9:44:44 AM   
Dave E

Unless you're a vegan, in which case I guess you can claim the moral high ground (if there is any), what's the difference between shooting a duck that is then eaten and buying ground beef in the store?

I'm not a hunter, personally, and if someone kills something just to kill it, but not to make good use of the animal, I look askance. But there's nothing superior about raising a cow with drugs and an unnatural diet only to be slaughtered. Just a different venue for the same thing, that's all.

Again, I'm not a hunter, just isn't my thing. Not about to look down on those who enjoy it responsibly, though.
Post #: 22
RE: Idle Talk, 4th chapter - 6/11/2013 11:28:23 AM   
Corleone

Not sure what this adds to the conversation, but somehow I agree with both seemingly opposing viewpoints.  Or maybe I just found "<hawk patoo> I'm awesome" to be extremely funny. 

Also - "look askance"?  C'mon, man. 

< Message edited by Corleone -- 6/11/2013 11:29:41 AM >
Post #: 23
RE: Idle Talk, 4th chapter - 6/11/2013 12:09:49 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dave E

Unless you're a vegan, in which case I guess you can claim the moral high ground (if there is any), what's the difference between shooting a duck that is then eaten and buying ground beef in the store?

I'm not a hunter, personally, and if someone kills something just to kill it, but not to make good use of the animal, I look askance. But there's nothing superior about raising a cow with drugs and an unnatural diet only to be slaughtered. Just a different venue for the same thing, that's all.

Again, I'm not a hunter, just isn't my thing. Not about to look down on those who enjoy it responsibly, though.

I can understand his point.

Todd isn't talking about the killing for food - he's talking about "the enjoyment of mowing down life".

There is a difference between a farmer that raises livestock for the sole purpose of "creating food", vs someone that goes hunting for the sport of the hunt and the game is fortunately put to good use - but as an afterthought.

I think its fantastic that all the kills went to needy people. I really do think that's an amazing thing. But I doubt that is the reason most hunters go on these hunts. Its a byproduct.
Post #: 24
RE: Idle Talk, 4th chapter - 6/11/2013 2:21:31 PM   
Dave E

Also - "look askance"? C'mon, man.

Figured I'd get some blow back on that one.
Post #: 25
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> Idle Talk, 4th chapter Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode