Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Idle Talk, 4th chapter

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic:
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Idle Talk, 4th chapter Page: <<   < prev  538 539 [540] 541 542   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Idle Talk, 4th chapter - 11/7/2018 3:01:56 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

People need to start thinking about these things. And consider a C-section if necessary.

Or really think ahead and not get pregnant in February

All of us are entitled to our own opinion. None of us are entitled to our own facts. - Alan Page
Post #: 13476
RE: Idle Talk, 4th chapter - 11/7/2018 4:19:32 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

My daughter turned 16 today.

AWESOME

When is she taking the driving test???

“Terrible thing to live in fear. Brooks Hatlen knew it. Knew it all too well. All I want is to be back where things make sense. Where I won't have to be afraid all the time.”
Post #: 13477
RE: Idle Talk, 4th chapter - 11/7/2018 7:09:52 PM   
bstinger

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

She got a pretty decent birthday present I'd say.

She might just make it under the mark to vote in 2020. What is election day that year?

Looks like it's November 3rd. Bummer.

She looked it up herself last election and was bummed that she'd miss out by a few days.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 13478
RE: Idle Talk, 4th chapter - 11/7/2018 7:10:43 PM   
bstinger

quote:

People need to start thinking about these things. And consider a C-section if necessary.

We had one, she was breach. Wasn't thinking that far ahead, my bad.

--twinsfan
Post #: 13479
RE: Idle Talk, 4th chapter - 11/7/2018 7:11:31 PM   
bstinger

quote:

quote:

Or really think ahead and not get pregnant in February

Valentines Day!

--twinsfan
Post #: 13480
RE: Idle Talk, 4th chapter - 11/7/2018 7:12:49 PM   
bstinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

quote:

AWESOME

When is she taking the driving test???

Monday after Thanksgiving. In Grand Fricking Rapids. Not sure why it's so hard to schedule one of those things, locally, but I'm hearing most Brainerd kids are having to go out of town to take it.

--twinsfan
Post #: 13481
RE: Idle Talk, 4th chapter - 11/8/2018 9:11:29 AM  1 votes
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

She might just make it under the mark to vote in 2020. What is election day that year?

She looked it up herself last election and was bummed that she'd miss out by a few days.

So four years before she could have been eligible she was already interested in voting?

THAT SIR IS IMPRESSIVE. You have done a fine job raising that child

All of us are entitled to our own opinion. None of us are entitled to our own facts. - Alan Page
Post #: 13482
RE: Idle Talk, 4th chapter - 11/8/2018 9:21:42 AM   
bstinger

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

So four years before she could have been eligible she was already interested in voting?

THAT SIR IS IMPRESSIVE. You have done a fine job raising that child

Thanks, she is impressive in many ways. I just wish she'd clean her damn room without me forcing her to.

--twinsfan
Post #: 13483
RE: Idle Talk, 4th chapter - 11/9/2018 12:10:28 PM   
twinsfan

We have a president that obviously does not understand the concept of absentee and/or mail-in ballots. Somebody needs to do something about him.

I'm quite certain I could explain it to a 5-year old and they would understand it.

< Message edited by twinsfan -- 11/9/2018 12:11:31 PM >

--------------------------
---------
--
Post #: 13484
RE: Idle Talk, 4th chapter - 11/9/2018 12:19:29 PM   
sixthwi

quote:

We have a president that obviously does not understand the concept of absentee and/or mail-in ballots. Somebody needs to do something about him.

I'm quite certain I could explain it to a 5-year old and they would understand it.

He obviously doesn't understand a lot of things - what a buffoon

The generation who would change the world is still looking for its car keys.
Post #: 13485
RE: Idle Talk, 4th chapter - 11/9/2018 2:01:58 PM   
bstinger

Agree on the buffoon, but in this day and age we should have a better way of getting all the counting done a lot faster and more accurately than we are.

--twinsfan
Post #: 13486
RE: Idle Talk, 4th chapter - 11/9/2018 2:06:08 PM   
SoMnFan

In our county we puts a yeller rock in a bag if'n we wants the Whig party gent, and we puts a brown one in, if we wants the Federalist feller.
Post #: 13487
RE: Idle Talk, 4th chapter - 11/9/2018 2:08:46 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

Agree on the buffoon, but in this day and age we should have a better way of getting all the counting done a lot faster and more accurately than we are.

If a large portion of the AZ ballots are mail-in, as they are, are you supposed to disallow those ballots even if they were submitted in time? In a large county like Maricopa County, if there are thousands of votes that were put in the mail on or slightly before election day, those votes are still going to be coming in. I know this - counting every vote is preferable to disenfranchising those voters.

Cindy McCain

@cindymccain
@AZGOP I am one of those mail in ballots. I was under the impression my vote was always counted.

---------
--
Post #: 13488
RE: Idle Talk, 4th chapter - 11/9/2018 2:14:31 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

In our county we puts a yeller rock in a bag if'n we wants the Whig party gent, and we puts a brown one in, if we wants the Federalist feller.

Errrr, wait .... maybe the yeller one is fer the Federalist

uh-ohhhhhhhhhhh
Post #: 13489
RE: Idle Talk, 4th chapter - 11/9/2018 3:04:42 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

Nothing unusual about vote count in Arizona dragging on

Every election, it takes weeks for Arizona to count its ballots. But as the Democrat in the tight U.S. Senate race there jumped into the lead in the latest results some Republicans have raised baseless allegations of fraud.

The most prominent is President Donald Trump. On Friday morning he suggested there was something sinister about "Democrats" adding to their tallies. "Now in Arizona, all of a sudden, out of the wilderness, they find a lot of votes."

There is no evidence of anything unusual going on in the Arizona vote-counting - and no elected Republican officials in the state have cried foul. It's plausible that the Democrat Kyrsten Sinema's opponent, Republican Rep. Martha McSally, could jump back into the lead in coming days. That wouldn't be suspicious, either. Here's why:

Blame the fact that Arizonans like to vote early, by mail. That sounds like a contradiction, but a mailed-in ballot requires more work for Arizona elections officials.

That's because state law requires the envelope to be sealed and signed, and for elections officials to match each signature to the one on file with the voter's registration before even opening the envelope. In this election, that's about 1.7 million individual signatures that had to be confirmed, one-by-one. A total of about 2.3 million votes were cast in Arizona.

The problem comes in the final days when the ballots flood election offices. Voters can also drop off sealed mail ballots on Election Day, adding to the pile. Those ballots can't be counted that day because the elections office is busy setting up and administering in-person voting.

The state's Republican secretary of state, Michelle Reagan, added another reason: election security. To ensure against voter fraud, mail ballots dropped off Election Day - which totaled 320,000 - are double-checked with votes cast at the polls to confirm no one voted twice.

"Arizona takes elections seriously - from the poll workers to the county elections officials, and the Secretary of State's office," Reagan said in a statement Friday. "Everybody is working diligently to tabulate all of the election results in a manner that Arizonans can be proud of and, most importantly, trust the results."

It normally takes more than a week to count all the ballots in Arizona.

https://www.chron.com/news/article/Nothing-unusual-about-vote-count-in-Arizona-13378270.php

-------------------------------------

The article goes on to talk about an antiquated computer system, so I will give you that. But it's more important to get it right. Like the article says, this is nothing new in Arizona. This just happens to be a close race that couldn't be "called" because of early returns and exit polling.

---------
--
Post #: 13490
RE: Idle Talk, 4th chapter - 11/9/2018 3:21:00 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

Every election, it takes weeks for Arizona to count its ballots. But as the Democrat in the tight U.S. Senate race there jumped into the lead in the latest results some Republicans have raised baseless allegations of fraud.

The most prominent is President Donald Trump. On Friday morning he suggested there was something sinister about "Democrats" adding to their tallies. "Now in Arizona, all of a sudden, out of the wilderness, they find a lot of votes."

There is no evidence of anything unusual going on in the Arizona vote-counting - and no elected Republican officials in the state have cried foul. It's plausible that the Democrat Kyrsten Sinema's opponent, Republican Rep. Martha McSally, could jump back into the lead in coming days. That wouldn't be suspicious, either. Here's why:

Blame the fact that Arizonans like to vote early, by mail. That sounds like a contradiction, but a mailed-in ballot requires more work for Arizona elections officials.

That's because state law requires the envelope to be sealed and signed, and for elections officials to match each signature to the one on file with the voter's registration before even opening the envelope. In this election, that's about 1.7 million individual signatures that had to be confirmed, one-by-one. A total of about 2.3 million votes were cast in Arizona.

The problem comes in the final days when the ballots flood election offices. Voters can also drop off sealed mail ballots on Election Day, adding to the pile. Those ballots can't be counted that day because the elections office is busy setting up and administering in-person voting.

The state's Republican secretary of state, Michelle Reagan, added another reason: election security. To ensure against voter fraud, mail ballots dropped off Election Day - which totaled 320,000 - are double-checked with votes cast at the polls to confirm no one voted twice.

"Arizona takes elections seriously - from the poll workers to the county elections officials, and the Secretary of State's office," Reagan said in a statement Friday. "Everybody is working diligently to tabulate all of the election results in a manner that Arizonans can be proud of and, most importantly, trust the results."

https://www.chron.com/news/article/Nothing-unusual-about-vote-count-in-Arizona-13378270.php

The article goes on to talk about an antiquated computer system, so I will give you that. But it's more important to get it right. Like the article says, this is nothing new in Arizona. This just happens to be a close race that couldn't be "called" because of early returns and exit polling.

I'm sure the only reason there is rampant fraud is because his Orangeness is not seeing his preferred candidates win.

Post #: 13491
RE: Idle Talk, 4th chapter - 11/9/2018 3:33:58 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'm sure the only reason there is rampant fraud is because his Orangeness is not seeing his preferred candidates win.

That's not nice. You're not a nice person. And you're rude.

---------
--
Post #: 13492
RE: Idle Talk, 4th chapter - 11/9/2018 6:52:11 PM   
bstinger

quote:

quote:

If a large portion of the AZ ballots are mail-in, as they are, are you supposed to disallow those ballots even if they were submitted in time? In a large county like Maricopa County, if there are thousands of votes that were put in the mail on or slightly before election day, those votes are still going to be coming in. I know this - counting every vote is preferable to disenfranchising those voters.

Cindy McCain

@cindymccain
@AZGOP I am one of those mail in ballots. I was under the impression my vote was always counted.

Did I mention disallowing any votes????

I said get them counted FASTER!

--twinsfan
Post #: 13493
RE: Idle Talk, 4th chapter - 11/11/2018 7:50:02 AM   
Jeff Jesser

Ok, first off, I swear this is not a troll post. I'm putting it here, and not on the general Twins board, because I'm betting there's a bunch of ppl on there who have no idea who I am. Generally speaking, when that's the case and a post like this comes in it's seen as a troller.

I didn't read the article but Sid had one today that asked "Is Mauer the greatest MN sports figure ever?" (title might be off but you get the point). I know it's Sid but I also have seen so many Mauer debates over the years it got me thinking.

I'm no baseball expert but come on. Is JM even a consideration for HOF? Outside of his 1 year and some decent longevity....what has he done? Greatest MN ever??? I say it's not even close.

Dave Winfield
Kevin Mc
Broten
Housley
Hell, even Birk had a SB and some Pro Bowls.
Post #: 13494
RE: Idle Talk, 4th chapter - 11/11/2018 9:19:28 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

Ok, first off, I swear this is not a troll post. I'm putting it here, and not on the general Twins board, because I'm betting there's a bunch of ppl on there who have no idea who I am. Generally speaking, when that's the case and a post like this comes in it's seen as a troller.

I didn't read the article but Sid had one today that asked "Is Mauer the greatest MN sports figure ever?" (title might be off but you get the point). I know it's Sid but I also have seen so many Mauer debates over the years it got me thinking.

I'm no baseball expert but come on. Is JM even a consideration for HOF? Outside of his 1 year and some decent longevity....what has he done? Greatest MN ever??? I say it's not even close.

Dave Winfield
Kevin Mc
Broten
Housley

Paul Molitor
Herb Brooks

And if she can move the bb program forward

Lindsay Whalen

Joe Mauer is easily the most hyped MN sports figure ever.

And that contract is the biggest reason why.
If he'd signed something not so outrageous at the time he would have been less polarizing, for sure. Because the latter production just tailed off.

And yes, I get it because he had concussions and such...but the numbers just are not there.

“Terrible thing to live in fear. Brooks Hatlen knew it. Knew it all too well. All I want is to be back where things make sense. Where I won't have to be afraid all the time.”
Post #: 13495
RE: Idle Talk, 4th chapter - 11/11/2018 10:29:09 AM   
Jeff Jesser

Thanks Ed. That was my thinking but not being much of a BB guy I thought maybe I was missing something.
Post #: 13496
RE: Idle Talk, 4th chapter - 11/11/2018 12:12:36 PM   
bstinger

Happy Veterans's Day to all. My wife was Navy for 4 years.

--twinsfan
Post #: 13497
RE: Idle Talk, 4th chapter - 11/11/2018 8:36:40 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

quote:

Dave Winfield
Kevin Mc
Broten
Housley

Paul Molitor
Herb Brooks

And if she can move the bb program forward

Lindsay Whalen

Joe Mauer is easily the most hyped MN sports figure ever.

And that contract is the biggest reason why.
If he'd signed something not so outrageous at the time he would have been less polarizing, for sure. Because the latter production just tailed off.

And yes, I get it because he had concussions and such...but the numbers just are not there.

Dustin's opinion would be interesting.

---------
--
Post #: 13498
RE: Idle Talk, 4th chapter - 11/12/2018 8:45:39 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

Dave Winfield
Kevin Mc
Broten
Housley

He's right there with Winfield as best overall athlete.

Mauer was the #1 ranked QB in the country, and turned down a commitment to Florida State.

Mauer could have played DI basketball, from all accounts I heard.

Mauer was the #1 overall pick in the baseball draft.

He has a very good chance at the HOF. If not for the concussions, he would be an absolute lock for the HOF. He may be a lock anyway. He is a HOFer according to Eric Byrnes. Check out the video in the General Twins thread.

Michael Young

@MikeyY626
Joe Mauer. He raked. I mean, HE RAKED.
Great catcher too. Best game caller I played against. They say catchers call pitches they can’t hit themselves. Well...Joe hit everything. He was always a step ahead, and great at avoiding patterns. All the best to a class act!

He's the only catcher to win 3 batting titles. No other American League catcher has ever won ONE batting title, in the history of MLB.

JAWS ranks him as the 7th best catcher of all-time. Everyone above him is in the HOF. The 8th and 9th ranked JAWS catchers are in the HOF.

1 Johnny Bench HOF
2 Gary Carter HOF
3 Ivan Rodriguez HOF
4 Carlton Fisk HOF
5 Mike Piazza HOF
6 Yogi Berra HOF
7 Joe Mauer
8 Bill Dickey HOF
9 Mickey Cochrane HOF

---------
--
Post #: 13499
RE: Idle Talk, 4th chapter - 11/12/2018 9:55:45 AM   
twinsfan

Here's a really nice summary of how much Joe is respected throughout the game:

https://www.foxsports.com/north/story/social-media-twitter-reaction-minnesota-twins-joe-mauer-retirement-111118

Look at Joe towering above Glen Perkins in that Little League photo.

---------
--
Post #: 13500
Page:   <<   < prev  538 539 [540] 541 542   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Idle Talk, 4th chapter Page: <<   < prev  538 539 [540] 541 542   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode