Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans Page: <<   < prev  222 223 [224] 225 226   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 7/23/2018 9:57:50 AM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

OLine Coach Sparano passed away today.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/07/22/ex-dolphins-vikings-coach-tony-sparano-dies

Damn that was hard to hear
Same age .... umm, this whole one-day-at-a-time thingy .... ugh.
Post #: 5576
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 7/23/2018 1:45:42 PM   
Mr. Ed

Iowa DT Brady Reiff arrested after drunkenly mistaking police car for Uber

Almost 10 years to the date of his brother, Riley, getting arrested for leading police on a 20-minute foot chase in and around downtown while being drunk and half-naked.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 5577
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 7/23/2018 2:45:28 PM   
SoMnFan

hehehehehehehehehehehe
Omg that's priceless
Post #: 5578
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 7/31/2018 12:40:18 PM   
SoMnFan

Minnesota Vikings (13-3)

Point differential in 2017: +130
Pythagorean expectation: 11.7 wins
Record in games decided by seven points or fewer: 3-2 (.600)
2017 strength of schedule: 0.514 (seventh toughest in NFL)

There might not be a more talented team in football, top to bottom, than the Vikings. Defensive coordinators would beg their general managers to get the sort of high-end talent and depth Mike Zimmer has on his preferred side of the football. The Vikings also return the best one-two wideout duo in football from a year ago and a running back who looked like a star before tearing his ACL, and they had enough cap space to pay Kirk Cousins $28 million per year, which should lock in both a higher floor and higher ceiling at quarterback versus Case Keenum.

So why are they likely to decline in 2018? Start with the schedule. Last year, the Vikings went up against Aaron Rodgers for a total of two possessions before Anthony Barr essentially ended the Packers' season by breaking their star quarterback's collarbone. They picked off replacement Brett Hundley five times over two games while holding the Packers to a total of 10 points. Rodgers will be back in 2018, and the Bears should be fielding an improved roster after investing heavily this offseason. The NFC North could be the toughest division in the league -- the Vikings probably won't go 5-1 within it again.

It's no surprise the Vikings' defense was great last season, but it was able to pull off one of the most remarkable outlier seasons in recent memory by allowing opposing offenses to convert on only 25.3 percent of third-down attempts. Pro-football-reference.com has play-by-play data going back through 1994, and no team over that time frame was stingier on third down than last year's Vikings.

Even great defenses can't keep that up. The 25 best third-down defenses before the 2017 Vikings allowed teams to convert on 30.0 percent of their third downs. Each of those teams gave up conversions 36.8 percent of the time the following year, which was far closer to the league average of 38.5 percent. As you might suspect, their defenses were worse. They allowed an average of 43.8 more points the following season, which would bump the Vikings from their top-ranked finish in points allowed to fifth.

Minnesota's defense also ranked as the league's healthiest by adjusted games lost last season. While that number doesn't include Sharrif Floyd, who would have started at defensive tackle if he hadn't been ruled out with what appears to be career-ending nerve damage in his knee, the remaining Vikings defenders were remarkably healthy. Minnesota's 11 defensive starters missed a total of four games: three from Andrew Sendejo and one from Everson Griffen. That's not going to recur, and if you remember how the Vikings' defense declined once Harrison Smith suffered a high ankle sprain in 2016, you'll know that even the most talented defenses need only one missing star to run the risk of falling apart.

The Vikings might be able to make up for a modest defensive decline with an improvement on offense, but what are the chances Cousins is an upgrade on the version of Keenum we saw last year? It would have been easy to suggest that the former third-stringer would have regressed toward his previous career averages had he stayed in Minnesota, and Cousins' track record certainly suggests a higher floor than Keenum's level of play before last season, but Keenum was great last season. Between the two, Keenum topped Cousins in Total QBR, passer rating, completion percentage and interception rate.

You would still pick Cousins if you were deciding between the two passers, but Cousins' ceiling in 2018 is likely the sort of season Keenum had in 2017. He'll also be working with a new offensive coordinator in John DeFilippo, who drew rave reviews as the quarterbacks coach in Philadelphia but ranked 32nd in points scored during his lone season as a coordinator with the Browns in 2015. There will likely be some growing pains for the Vikings early during the 2018 season, which has to be disconcerting given that they start with games against the 49ers, Packers, Bills, Rams and Eagles. The Vikings should still be a very good team, but 13 wins would be an enormous ask.

One of the 6 teams picked to decline
Post #: 5579
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 8/9/2018 3:56:43 PM   
Mr. Ed

I see Easton is likely out for the year

Just when I think MN has a team that gets it, the Vikes failed to really address the offensive line again.

AGAIN

Escape while you can!
Post #: 5580
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 8/9/2018 6:38:02 PM   
bstinger

quote:

I see Easton is likely out for the year

Just when I think MN has a team that gets it, the Vikes failed to really address the offensive line again.

AGAIN

Might have to trade from depth (CB's) to shore up our glaring weakness. SPIELMAN!!!

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 5581
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 8/13/2018 8:40:02 AM   
SoMnFan

Sent a couple of these texts to my favorite Viking fans the other night ..

THIS VIKING TEAM MIGHT BE THE GREATEST FOOTBALL TEAM IN HISTORY
Post #: 5582
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 8/13/2018 8:43:21 AM   
SoMnFan

In all honesty, tho ... Holy hell
We have a 1st unit D that gets AFTER people
I remember 5-6 years ago just flat-out begging for that in here.
"if we could just ever get a kick-ass D for a change'
oh, and ... Cousins is light years ahead of any QB talent we have had here in many moons.
Anyone not admitting that has an agenda, imo.
My boy Murray looked good, him and Cook lugging the rock?
What's not to like so far? This is an ownership that at least has TRIED to accumulate talent.
Respect that so much more than what the Pohlads and the Wonder Boys do.
Post #: 5583
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 8/13/2018 9:01:14 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

oh, and ... Cousins is light years ahead of any QB talent we have had here in many moons.
What's not to like so far? This is an ownership that at least has TRIED to accumulate talent.

That's what was standing out to me. The First half was just stuffing the Broncos right and left. They had less than 50 yards total offense in the first half.
Barr didn't even play.

The pass to Diggs to set up the first score was sweet. Didn't look and throw that way until he was letting it go. Expected Diggs to be right where he put it.

The young kicker was solid. No pressure now, but we'll see.

The young Corner they drafted looked quick and was positive. Maybe he'll be Trae Waynes yet at that age.

All good after 1.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 5584
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 8/13/2018 9:07:36 AM   
SoMnFan

This is an ownership that at least has TRIED to accumulate talent.

... and jettisoned dead weight when it started to drag the plane down.
Post #: 5585
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 8/13/2018 9:21:10 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

In the NFL if you don't have the dead salary buffet

You aren't really competing

MLB has a few teams that get that.

Twins have started. Phildo/Nolasco are scenarios Tryan wouldn't even broach before.
Even this year. Lynn not working? Traded him.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 5586
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 8/13/2018 9:31:59 AM   
Todd M

quote:

Love where you're at!

We are set up. A team stocked with upper tier talent, ownership that doesn't dick around...paying people, and setting up world class facilities. I can't imagine another group being this together, this happy. Built more than slapped together like LA.

This could be our decade.
Post #: 5587
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 8/13/2018 9:32:30 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

In the NFL if you don't have the dead salary buffet
You aren't really competing
MLB has a few teams that get that.
Twins have started. Phildo/Nolasco are scenarios Tryan wouldn't even broach before.
Even this year. Lynn not working? Traded him.

They did the same with Garcia last year too, pay salary and get better prospects back.

I like that they want to have a deep defense. Their 5-6 corners (Hughes/Hill) would start for other teams. They grab the best UDFA and spend the most money doing it, best CFL WR, and gave Cousins the most guaranteed money to get it done.

Best practice facility, one of the best stadiums, one of the best pools of assistant coaches (I think they had 3 former head coaches on team in Shurmer, Norv, and Sporano). It is hard to complain about the Wilfs.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 8/13/2018 9:35:18 AM >

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 5588
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 8/13/2018 9:35:58 AM   
Todd M

quote:

best CFL WR

Bet he's not feeling good sitting out the first pre season game.
Post #: 5589
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 8/13/2018 9:36:39 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

quote:

best CFL WR

Read it was his hammy.

Post #: 5590
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 8/13/2018 9:43:34 AM   
Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

best CFL WR

Read it was his hammy.

I didn't know that. Hmmm hammies can hold you back for weeks...wonder if he's going to get a chance to show what he can do.
Post #: 5591
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 8/13/2018 9:52:07 AM   
Phil Riewer

From Doogie:

WR Zylstra has a hamstring injury. He will miss time beyond tonight. Not super long-term though.

Post #: 5592
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 8/13/2018 11:44:25 AM   
bstinger

It was a very impressive opening drive. A lot to be excited about. Need to stay healthy as always. I can't wait for the season! SKOL!

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 5593
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 8/13/2018 2:07:44 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

quote:

Love where you're at!

We are set up. A team stocked with upper tier talent, ownership that doesn't dick around...paying people, and setting up world class facilities. I can't imagine another group being this together, this happy. Built more than slapped together like LA.

Great to hear from you Todd.
Time for us to have a year, that ends well. Eh?
Post #: 5594
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 8/13/2018 2:30:27 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

quote:

quote:

Love where you're at!

Philly schooled them. Something happened w/the D at the end of last year. There was no taking control by the D. Really started late first half of the miracle win vs new Orleans

Have to adjust.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 5595
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 8/13/2018 2:39:06 PM  1 votes
SoMnFan

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Love where you're at!

Philly schooled them. Something happened w/the D at the end of last year. There was no taking control by the D. Really started late first half of the miracle win vs new Orleans

Have to adjust.

yep
I didn't think that total collapse was possible, but it definitely happened.
Suddenly couldn't stop anything. At the worst time.
Good thing is, I think we have DRIVEN people in positions that can figure those issues out.
And will die trying to get it done. That's all I ask as a fan. Care about what ails us, and fix it.
Post #: 5596
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 8/14/2018 8:33:03 AM   
SoMnFan

Minnesota Vikings

2017: 13-3 | NFC North champs | Lost in divisional round

Why they're all-in: Two major injuries early on offense (Sam Bradford, Dalvin Cook) didn't stop the Vikings from reaching the NFC Championship Game a year ago. Returning one of the most stacked rosters backed by the strength of the No. 1 defense, Minnesota believed going all-in for Kirk Cousins in free agency would the missing piece to contend for a championship.

The last time Cousins had a supporting cast this good, he completed a career-best 69.8 percent of his passes with 4,166 yards passing and led the Redskins to a playoff berth in 2015. His weapons in Minnesota -- Cook, Adam Thielen, Stefon Diggs and Kyle Rudolph -- are arguably the best he has ever worked with. The Vikings believe that will guide this franchise in taking the next step toward a title and achieving the quarterback stability they've lacked for more than a decade. The Vikings hope to keep an already good thing going and make themselves even better. That's evident with their strategic salary-cap planning that has allowed the Vikings to widen their Super Bowl window for several seasons with 13 starters under contract through at least 2020.

What's at stake: Minnesota let Bradford, Case Keenum and Teddy Bridgewater walk in free agency while forking over $84 million guaranteed for three years to get Cousins. It might take a while for Cousins to achieve consistent success in the offense, and that's understandable in a brand-new system. However, Minnesota needs to see its return on investment (i.e., yearly playoff runs) for this move to have made sense for the long-term health of the franchise. Cousins is under contract for three seasons and likely longer if things go right. The Vikings haven't had that kind of continuity at the most important position on offense in a very long time. If things don't work out the way they're expected to, this franchise gets set back years.

Where it could go wrong: Injuries on the offensive line derailed the Vikings' season in 2016, and the state of the current unit is not in great shape. The offensive line has been the Vikings' biggest question mark for months, dating back to the decision not to draft a pro-ready lineman in the first round to replace right guard Joe Berger, who retired. Former offensive line coach Tony Sparano's sudden death right before training camp shook the franchise and a position group striving for consistency. The Vikings are expecting to be without left guard Nick Easton (neck) for the entire season, while Pat Elflein and Mike Remmers are recovering from surgery/injuries of their own in training camp. The shuffling of personnel has been a constant in the preseason, and spots such as right tackle (Rashod Hill and Brian O'Neill) might be weeks away from being decided. There's also the fact that the Vikings' schedule does them no favors. Minnesota faces the Packers, Rams and Eagles on the road in the first five weeks of the season. Additionally, the NFC North might present the most difficult division schedule this season.

If everything goes right: Mike Zimmer's proclamation that fans are going to be "really proud of them in February" might not be far off. This team has realistic Super Bowl expectations for the first time since 2009, given the amount of resources it poured into building a roster with this much talent. Given how loaded the NFC is this year with the Eagles, Rams, Saints and Packers, Minnesota had no other choice but to go all-in if it wants to compete for its first Lombardi Trophy. The Super Bowl-or-bust mentality might be one that sticks in Minnesota for a while. While anything short of a championship during the Cousins' era will be considered less than stellar, the Vikings set themselves up to have several shots over the next few seasons at achieving that goal.
Post #: 5597
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 8/14/2018 9:58:38 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

His weapons in Minnesota -- Cook, Adam Thielen, Stefon Diggs and Kyle Rudolph -- are arguably the best he has ever worked with.

How could Thielen be in that group?

Didn't he used to suck?

Escape while you can!
Post #: 5598
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 8/14/2018 10:12:02 AM   
SoMnFan

From sunglass salesman to one of the most recognizable players we have, even nationally.
Makes me chuckle.
Experts.
There's all kinds of 'em.
Post #: 5599
RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans - 8/14/2018 10:59:09 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Love where you're at!

Have to adjust.

I will never look at the win over New Orleans as even a sports miracle, much less a real one. The two teams went back and forth. We had the game wrapped up if we had just stopped a fourth and ten. We made the stop we had to make forcing them to kick a FG with time remaining.
Even if we hadn't got the TD we could have kicked a FG for the win also. They made plays and we made plays. We just happened to make the last play.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 5600
Page:   <<   < prev  222 223 [224] 225 226   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Vikes talk for Twins Fans Page: <<   < prev  222 223 [224] 225 226   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode