Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Wolves talk and rumors 2014

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Wolves talk and rumors 2014 Page: <<   < prev  380 381 [382] 383 384   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Wolves talk and rumors 2014 - 9/23/2017 8:29:47 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: McMurfy

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

quote:

Jerry Zgoda‏@JerryZgoda 26m26 minutes ago
Expect an Aaron Brooks' signing by camp opening, it likely will be only one they'll make for now

Kaepernick can't make a roster, but Aaron Brooks can. That's probably the last straw.

Aaron Brooks will help, mark my words.
He can play stretches and when he does he produces.

I wouldn't be stunned if Thibs bumps him ahead of Tyus in the rotation.

I saw that Brooks has a 98 O Rating and a 113 D rating. I believe it is best if that is reversed. IMO nobody to get excited about.

Then that proves he'll be good.

Bravo Aaron Brooks.

How does this prove he will be good? My not being excited about him or his horrible O/D ratings?

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 9526
RE: Wolves talk and rumors 2014 - 9/23/2017 9:11:34 AM   
Bill Jandro

When Ash asked Wiggs "Do you feel like you need to live up to that contract?" and Wiggs said "I feel like I already have"

That's a bit troubling. Does Drew have all his marbles?

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 9527
RE: Wolves talk and rumors 2014 - 9/23/2017 5:08:12 PM   
wrh

OK, I just need to vent a bit. I am what I consider a reasonably serious TWolves fan but not all knowledgable on the NBA. So I go to check out the media day photos to see the new faces (and numbers) of all the new guys on our team -- most of the players are holding a basketball over the number on their chest so that is not visible and the photos do NOT have names (other than the photographer) associated with them.

That is really weak.
Post #: 9528
RE: Wolves talk and rumors 2014 - 9/25/2017 2:32:11 PM   
David Levine

Jerry Zgoda ✔ @JerryZgoda
I asked Thibs if A. Brooks is his backup pg: "I want quality depth. I don't know how it's going to play out. They'll tell me" w/ their play
2:28 PM - Sep 24, 2017
Post #: 9529
RE: Wolves talk and rumors 2014 - 9/25/2017 3:56:58 PM   
David Levine

Timberwolves media day takeaway: Can Butler and Wiggins play nice together?
By Britt Robson | 11:27 am

Barring a slew of injuries or some other capricious misfortune, the most realistic ways in which this Wolves season can go off the rails include the inability of Andrew Wiggins to start living up to the 5-year $148-million contract he is about to sign; chronic breakdowns on defense from the top rotation players; an absence of roster depth; and insufficient three-point shooting.

Begin with Wiggins, who seems destined to be the largest x factor as the Wolves strive to transform tantalizing potential into genuine production.

Ideally, Wigs would size up the acquisition of Butler and the comprehensive scoring prowess of Towns and conclude that the largest contract in Wolves history should be earned through a greater commitment to defense, more conscientious ball movement, and getting himself open and accurate from behind the three-point arc.

Wiggins is justifiably proud of his ability to generate his own shot in isolation — it is a relatively rare and valuable skill. But Butler is better at it due to his superior ball-handling, court vision and crunch time free-throw shooting. Then there is KAT, who requires a boatload of touches in the paint because Thibs likes to run his offensive sets from the inside out and because KAT already sports a phenomenal combination of sophisticated footwork and ambidextrous shooting finesse that will likely put him in the Hall of Fame someday.

In other words, as wonderful as Wigs can be off the bounce, he is appropriately the third scoring option on this team. If he recognized this and rounded out the other aspects of his game that need improvement, he might appear to be an overpaid sidekick, but he would be an incredibly valuable cog on a team that could easily evolve into a championship contender.

The comments made during Media Day do not offer much hope that Wiggins will maximize his value in that manner. Thibs regularly referred to him as a “primary scorer,” Towns invoked the nickname that mixes ridiculous hyperbole with Wiggins’ Canadian lineage — “Maple Jordan” — and Wiggins claimed that he regarded himself as “a number one option.”

Wiggins did allow that other teammates could rightly regard themselves in a similar manner. And it was nice to hear the quiet confidence ooze forth when he said “me and Jimmy are going to be a problem on both the offensive side and the defensive side.”

That co-alpha attitude is probably inevitable, but, at best, premature. Answering the question about touches and priorities in the offensive flow on the wing with Butler, Wiggins said, “I feel we’re both unselfish players. He likes to pass the ball and I like to pass the ball.”

Except that Butler likes to pass it much more often. Wiggins led the Wolves in usage rate (which estimates direct involvement in the team’s plays when on the court) last season at 29.0 percent, yet only Gorgui Dieng had a lower assist percentage among the five starters. By contrast, Butler led the Bulls with a 26.5 usage rate but ranked second to point guard Rajon Rondo on the Bulls roster with an assist percentage of 24.8, more than double Wiggins percentage of 10.6, according to basketball-reference.com.

It is entirely understandable that someone about to sign a maximum contract is going to regard himself as an alpha dog — one could argue that Wiggins would be cheating his potential if he didn’t. Thibodeau, who wisely parted with Zach LaVine and Kris Dunn in order to land Butler but reportedly resisted trading Wiggins in a deal with Cleveland for Kyrie Irving, claims that Wigs “wants to be great” and has tied his fate to the sincerity and fulfillment of that desire. Best of all, Wiggins looks broader in the shoulders and has added five pounds of mostly muscle.

Wiggins is a polarizing figure among the die-hards in the Wolves fan base — his performance through the lens of analytics leaves a lot to be desired. I’ve always defended his game — his raw talent is elite and I’ve convinced myself that his inscrutable mien is his sage response to the reality-show culture, honed in part by being the child of two star athletes. The grit and competitive desire are there — but so are the lapses in focus and effort, apparent to anyone who watches the Wolves on a regular basis.

Thibs contends that Wiggins’ flaws are simply the growing pains of a kid who entered the NBA as a teen. And it’s important to note that until this season he has never had the same head coach two years in a row since he left high school.

All that said, it is time to take the kid-gloves off when evaluating Andrew Wiggins. He is about to become a max player. He has already logged more playing time as a Timberwolf than anyone else on the roster. (Look it up.) Figuring out how to maximize his contribution to the ball club is as much his responsibility as Thibodeau’s, Butler’s or anyone else.

More at the link:

https://www.minnpost.com/sports/2017/09/timberwolves-media-day-takeaway-can-butler-and-wiggins-play-nice-together
Post #: 9530
RE: Wolves talk and rumors 2014 - 9/26/2017 12:24:58 AM   
David Levine

Wolves guard Jamal Crawford knows a thing or two about head coaches. I mean, he’s had 18 during his 16-year NBA career. That's a lot of coaches.

After just three days of training camp practices, he can already tell Tom Thibodeau is different than the rest.

“He’s so good at what he does. His work ethic. His mentality,” Crawford said after Monday’s practice at San Diego State University. “He’s studied everything.”

Crawford said Thibodeau has been demanding through the first few days of camp, but in a good way and it’s something that he expected. And if players have any questions, Thibodeau has the answers they need.

“He’s so detailed,” Crawford said. “It’s unbelievable. It’s almost scary in some ways. There’s no doubt in my mind that he’s the most prepared (coach in the league). Period.”
Post #: 9531
RE: Wolves talk and rumors 2014 - 9/26/2017 12:36:34 AM   
JT2

quote:

Wolves guard Jamal Crawford knows a thing or two about head coaches. I mean, he’s had 18 during his 16-year NBA career. That's a lot of coaches.

After just three days of training camp practices, he can already tell Tom Thibodeau is different than the rest.

“He’s so good at what he does. His work ethic. His mentality,” Crawford said after Monday’s practice at San Diego State University. “He’s studied everything.”

Crawford said Thibodeau has been demanding through the first few days of camp, but in a good way and it’s something that he expected. And if players have any questions, Thibodeau has the answers they need.

“He’s so detailed,” Crawford said. “It’s unbelievable. It’s almost scary in some ways. There’s no doubt in my mind that he’s the most prepared (coach in the league). Period.”

That feels good to read.

I like what I know about Crawford. I like his come-up. I like what he does for youth basketball. Hell, I like how he seems to defy getting older. However, I don't like him on this team.
Post #: 9532
RE: Wolves talk and rumors 2014 - 9/26/2017 2:12:51 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: JT2

quote:

That feels good to read.

I like what I know about Crawford. I like his come-up. I like what he does for youth basketball. Hell, I like how he seems to defy getting older. However, I don't like him on this team.

I think he will be just fine. Time will tell.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 9533
RE: Wolves talk and rumors 2014 - 9/27/2017 3:43:28 PM   
Sandman

Great article above. I believe this season hinges on wiggin's doing the little things better. If he can accept being the third wheel. If he thinks he's going to be The alpha dog, we could are in trouble.
Post #: 9534
RE: Wolves talk and rumors 2014 - 9/27/2017 3:57:29 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sandman

Great article above. I believe this season hinges on wiggin's doing the little things better. If he can accept being the third wheel. If he thinks he's going to be The alpha dog, we could are in trouble.

Britt has been the best Wolves writer for nearly 30 years.

Its amazing that he still has the passion to do what he does after so many years.
Post #: 9535
RE: Wolves talk and rumors 2014 - 9/28/2017 9:01:43 AM   
Karl Juhnke

I don't think Wiggins is being viewed as a third wheel. Certainly not by coaches. For whatever reason it seems Thibodeau is firmly sold on Wiggins. Witness last year when the end of game offense consisted of giving the ball the Wiggins. Scoring wise he'll still be looked at as a primary option. Butler or Towns may outscore him on any given night, but not because he was neglected.

Of course it's all the other areas besides scoring where he needs to really pick it up and earn his dough. I still have hope there. He's young, works hard, has a good attitude. It may still come.

< Message edited by Karl Juhnke -- 9/28/2017 9:03:17 AM >

Truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like to be challenged.
Post #: 9536
RE: Wolves talk and rumors 2014 - 9/28/2017 10:47:26 AM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

I don't think Wiggins is being viewed as a third wheel. Certainly not by coaches. For whatever reason it seems Thibodeau is firmly sold on Wiggins. Witness last year when the end of game offense consisted of giving the ball the Wiggins. Scoring wise he'll still be looked at as a primary option. Butler or Towns may outscore him on any given night, but not because he was neglected.

Of course it's all the other areas besides scoring where he needs to really pick it up and earn his dough. I still have hope there. He's young, works hard, has a good attitude. It may still come.

I'm really hoping that's not the case. Towns and Butler are much more effective and efficient scorers than Wiggins. Towns is virtually unstoppable in the post and a better outside shooter than Wiggins. Butler is a much better ballhandler and creative scorer. And both are WAY better passers. Wiggins is either going to occasionally find a seam to the basket, or he's going to take one of his contested fall-away jumpers.

Ideally Wiggins takes on the LaVine roll. Take the open 3s, move without the ball and cut to the rim at every opportunity (the last 2 are things Zach really needed to do, but was awful at. Hopefully Drew can be better).
Post #: 9537
RE: Wolves talk and rumors 2014 - 9/28/2017 11:10:56 AM   
TJSweens

The biggest thing from Wig would be if he can start playing defense at the level a man with his physical gifts should be able to play. If he can just do that, it will make a huge difference.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 9538
RE: Wolves talk and rumors 2014 - 9/28/2017 11:27:31 AM   
McMurfy

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

The biggest thing from Wig would be if he can start playing defense at the level a man with his physical gifts should be able to play. If he can just do that, it will make a huge difference.

It would seem that the addition of Butler would give Wiggins the opportunity to guard the lesser Offensive player at the 2,3,or 4 spot with Butler guarding the better offensive player. All things being equal, that alone should help.
If he does that and steps up as well, then we really have something special here.

The Curse of Mauer is gone!
Post #: 9539
RE: Wolves talk and rumors 2014 - 9/28/2017 11:43:14 AM   
David Levine

quote:

With his athletic ability and length, ideally he's a Scottie Pippen type. A do everything player that will occasionally lead the team in scoring, but isn't the primary option.

So far the "do everything" part has been a real problem.
Post #: 9540
RE: Wolves talk and rumors 2014 - 9/28/2017 11:46:42 AM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

It would seem that the addition of Butler would give Wiggins the opportunity to guard the lesser Offensive player at the 2,3,or 4 spot with Butler guarding the better offensive player. All things being equal, that alone should help.
If he does that and steps up as well, then we really have something special here.

He really needs to focus on defense. Its where he traditionally tends to drift. And I think he has some awareness issues where he can lock in if his man has the ball, but when anyone else has it, he loses track of his guy.

Best case: A lessened offensive role will allow him to spend more energy on defense (and rebounding) and also spend more time focused and engaged on that end.

Worst case: A lessened offensive role will make him even more checked out on defense and we'll end up with the exact same guy, but he'll be scoring 18 PPG instead of 23.
Post #: 9541
RE: Wolves talk and rumors 2014 - 9/28/2017 3:16:28 PM   
Elliot

quote:

The other thing is consistency. He's shown flashes for a lot of stuff, but the ability to consistently perform at both ends of the court will be critical here. It's a big step for him, but I'm also hoping that the fact that he won't have to guard the opposing team's best wing player will work in his favor.

Life is just what happens to you,
While you're busy making other plans

~ John Lennon
Post #: 9542
RE: Wolves talk and rumors 2014 - 9/28/2017 11:01:43 PM   
bohumm

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sandman

Britt has been the best Wolves writer for nearly 30 years.

Its amazing that he still has the passion to do what he does after so many years.

Britt just wants to write about basketball, jazz, and hip-hop,and he's grateful that he gets to do so. Great guy, so down to earth.
Post #: 9543
RE: Wolves talk and rumors 2014 - 9/29/2017 11:27:59 AM   
kgdabom

SAN DIEGO – Karl-Anthony Towns often answers questions in coachspeak or in the name of the team. But with all due respect to LeBron James, Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook, Stephen Curry, Anthony Davis and James Harden, the versatile Minnesota Timberwolves center is confident in saying that, in time, he can become the best player in the NBA.

“My confidence has always been so high. I felt coming into the league I could be that easily,” Towns said this week after practice at the University of California, San Diego. “I always knew it was just a matter of time.

ADVERTISEMENT

“But before I was even drafted, I felt that I had that ability, faith and confidence in myself to do that regardless to what team I’m with. I’m very blessed to be with the Timberwolves, because with them I’ve expedited that process a lot.”

More from the NBA
Trump pokes at black players in the NFL and NBA – and many poke back
Vander Blue has one goal: to stick with Lakers
Players and celebrities are telling us how they really feel
It took Stephen Curry a while to catch up on the Carmelo Anthony trade

Much of Towns’ potential to be the king of the NBA comes from having all-around skills at 7 feet tall. Towns credits his father, Karl Towns, who pushed him at a young age to learn all the skills needed for basketball and not just how to be a tall guy in the post.

The No. 1 pick of the 2015 NBA draft displayed a versatile game his father would be proud of last season, averaging 25.1 points on 54.2 percent shooting from the field, 12.3 rebounds and a 36.7 shooting percentage from 3-point range. Towns’ 101 3-pointers made him the first player in NBA history to achieve 2,000 points, 1,000 rebounds and 100 three-pointers in a season. The former Kentucky star also scored a career-high 47 points against the New York Knicks.

The 2016 NBA Rookie of the Year will be just 22 years old on Nov. 15.

“That is definitely something that I see in my sight [being the best]. I’m getting better every year,” Towns said. “I’m getting smarter. I’m getting faster, quicker. So, I feel like I can easily be that. It’s just a matter of time for me. With that time that it takes to get there, I want to have a lot of experience in the playoffs. Hopefully, we make it deep and win some championships along the way so when I’m in my prime I have all the experience to take whatever team I’m fortunate to be with, hopefully the Timberwolves, to get more championship runs.”

Timberwolves coach Tom Thibodeau believes Towns can become the NBA’s best player in “today’s NBA.” The second-year Timberwolves coach cites Towns leading the league in points in the paint last season and also his 3-point shooting skills, guard skills, passing ability, drive to be great and his work ethic.

“He has the talent to do it, the drive to do it and the intelligence to do it. He just has to keep working at it,” Thibodeau said. “The one thing about him is he loves to be in the gym. I haven’t really seen a big guy who has all the tools he has offensively.

“Offensively, he’s incredible. He has put a lot of time into it. He’s done a good job.”

So how can Towns get better?

Towns averaged 1.3 blocks per game to rank 19th overall in the NBA last season. The center was also seventh in defensive rebounds per game at 8.7. He finished 18th in offensive rating but didn’t rank in the Top 20 on defense.

“He has to continue to grow defensively, and that’s the biggest area of development for him,” Thibodeau said.

The svelte Towns said he changed his diet this offseason to get “lighter and leaner” even though he was already in great shape. He said he worked with Thibodeau on his guard skills during the offseason and worked on his postgame, too.

“When you come in at 7-foot, 250 [pounds] and 5 percent body fat, that changes a lot of things,” Towns said.

Towns is part of one of the NBA’s newest Big Threes with small forward Andrew Wiggins and newcomer guard Jimmy Butler. The athletic Wiggins averaged 23.6 points last season. Butler, a three-time NBA All-Star, averaged 23.9 points and 5.5 assists for the Chicago Bulls last season. Towns says Butler’s addition gives Minnesota “a lot of energy with one of the best two-way guards in the league.” The Timberwolves also added three-time NBA Sixth Man of the Year Jamal Crawford, who adds scoring and perimeter shooting off the bench.

With threats alongside him in Wiggins, Butler and Crawford, defenses can’t concentrate solely on trying to stop Towns. The Timberwolves play in their preseason opener against the Los Angeles Lakers in Anaheim, California, on Saturday night.

“I will just try to do a lot of the things I did last season,” Towns said. “It’s not too much different. I will just try to be as versatile as possible. If you need me to shoot the 3, I can shoot the 3. If you need me to be in the post, I can be in the post being an enforcer.

“As the flow of the game goes along, I’ve got to change. That’s what makes boxers so great, especially Floyd Mayweather. You have to be able to change the game plan at any given moment.”

Yes, Towns has a goal to be the NBA’s best player one day. He also would love to make his first NBA All-Star appearance this season. But Towns’ biggest goals are to win games and get the Timberwolves back to the postseason for the first time since 2004, when he was just 9 years old.

“I hope to play in the playoffs,” Towns said. “The other things are just individual things that come with what reporters and the media say and where they want to vote. But what I can control is making sure every day I am the best person and best teammate I can be for my teammates. It gives us the best opportunity to not only make it to the playoffs, but make it with a great team.

“It is definitely nice to see that the organization is getting better and better every year and I’m glad to be a part of it. I’m still here right now wearing a Timberwolves jersey. I feel very fortunate and honored that the team sees me as a person that can help this team where it needs to be.”

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 9544
RE: Wolves talk and rumors 2014 - 9/30/2017 9:35:29 PM   
kgdabom

Wolves and Lakers in a very ragged game early. Jimmy Butler appears to be the best player on the court.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 9545
RE: Wolves talk and rumors 2014 - 9/30/2017 9:41:48 PM   
kgdabom

With Towns out of the game Zubac is killing us.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 9546
RE: Wolves talk and rumors 2014 - 9/30/2017 9:46:50 PM   
kgdabom

Bazz posting up very successfully. Instant O off the bench.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 9547
RE: Wolves talk and rumors 2014 - 9/30/2017 10:00:41 PM   
kgdabom

I know many here were not big fans of Lonzo, but he is going to be a very good player.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 9548
RE: Wolves talk and rumors 2014 - 9/30/2017 10:16:28 PM   
Ian Joseph

Just woke up. The game is at halftime. I know it's preseason, but I want to get a peak of your team. Could be a top 4 team in the west.

Hate the message, not the messenger.

Enjoy the process; crave the goal.

Believe.
Post #: 9549
RE: Wolves talk and rumors 2014 - 9/30/2017 10:54:17 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian Joseph

Just woke up. The game is at halftime. I know it's preseason, but I want to get a peak of your team. Could be a top 4 team in the west.

That's exactly what I'm slightly realistically expecting. I certainly understand those who don't think we will do that well. Very sloppy game, but to be expected.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 9550
Page:   <<   < prev  380 381 [382] 383 384   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Wolves talk and rumors 2014 Page: <<   < prev  380 381 [382] 383 384   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode