Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Wolves talk and rumors 2014

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Wolves talk and rumors 2014 Page: <<   < prev  384 385 [386] 387 388   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Wolves talk and rumors 2014 - 10/9/2017 11:06:15 AM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

I've never actually thought of Thib's offense as being sophisticated.

Its not.

But his defense is very reliant on teamwork and knowing where the other 9 players are and what they're doing.
Post #: 9626
RE: Wolves talk and rumors 2014 - 10/9/2017 11:33:35 AM   
David Levine

Zach Lowe has us in his 5-11 tier in the West:

Minnesota Timberwolves

Most league insiders have the Wolves above this jumble. Some internal team projections around the league spit out 50 wins and a top-four seed.

Bet the under. The paper-thin Wolves start two traditional bigs and three so-so 3-point shooters who dominate the ball in Jimmy Butler, Andrew Wiggins and Jeff Teague. Those three will diminish each other — at least over the first stretch of the season. The Wolves will have to bash through walls of defenders in the paint.

It’s fun to joke that the bench doesn’t matter, since Tom Thibodeau will play the starters into the ground. Luckily, the foursome of Teague, Butler, Wiggins and Towns has been remarkably durable. But what if one of them misses 20 games? Can Karl-Anthony Towns give a crap on defense before we anoint him a top-10 player? Minnesota flopped to 27th in points allowed per possession in Thibodeau’s first season. Swing the ball just once, and the Wolves fractured, conceding both the rim and the arc.

Butler should drag them toward league average. He can hound the best opposing wing, and kick Wiggins and Towns in the ass when they get lazy. Those two will improve with reps; Thibodeau will bellow until they do.

Butler became a well-rounded star on offense last season, and Towns has the potential to be the most versatile scoring big man ever — and the second, after Dirk Nowitzki, to join the exalted 50-40-90 club. You don’t want your monster big hanging around the perimeter too much, but Towns’ willingness to float there — and yield the interior to Butler and Wiggins — will help Thibodeau mesh ill-fitting personnel.

The Wolves dangled Cole Aldrich and a second-round pick in search of veteran help, sources say, and they should experiment with Butler as a small-ball power forward. They will win a close game at some point.

They have too much talent to miss the playoffs for the (gulp) 14th straight year. But they will have to fight for it.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20960590/zach-lowe-2017-18-nba-tiers-ratings
Post #: 9627
RE: Wolves talk and rumors 2014 - 10/9/2017 11:35:33 AM   
David Levine

A heavy read, but a lot of good info:

Deep Dive: Andrew Wiggins vs Advanced Statistics

https://www.canishoopus.com/2017/10/9/16223334/deep-dive-andrew-wiggins-vs-advanced-statistics
Post #: 9628
RE: Wolves talk and rumors 2014 - 10/9/2017 12:46:29 PM   
Aaron Cross

In Krawczynski’s podcast on Saturday they brought up the possibility Wiggins has quietly asked for a trade like Kyrie did. Thus explaining why he hasn’t signed his contract yet.

But he said the most likely reason is Wiggins is trying to get a 5th year player option and Taylor isn’t budging. I hope Taylor/Thibs stand firm. What a greedy demand by Wiggins considering he’s getting this max offer based on his potential, not his accomplishments.

< Message edited by Aaron Cross -- 10/9/2017 1:30:52 PM >
Post #: 9629
RE: Wolves talk and rumors 2014 - 10/9/2017 12:51:42 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

A heavy read, but a lot of good info:

Deep Dive: Andrew Wiggins vs Advanced Statistics

https://www.canishoopus.com/2017/10/9/16223334/deep-dive-andrew-wiggins-vs-advanced-statistics

Thanks for posting that David. After reading it, I think I need to take a handful of Tylenol and ponder it.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 9630
RE: Wolves talk and rumors 2014 - 10/9/2017 1:29:02 PM   
Aaron Cross

If Wiggins chooses not to sign this deal, would that be a bad thing? Then he’s restricted next offseason? If he became restricted and we didn’t match, that opens up alot of money to bring in one max player or two solid role players, right? Maybe I’m completely wrong on all levels. I really don’t understand the process.
Post #: 9631
RE: Wolves talk and rumors 2014 - 10/9/2017 1:43:25 PM   
TJSweens

If Wig doesn't accept a max deal now, it is strictly to his detriment and the Wolves benefit.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 9632
RE: Wolves talk and rumors 2014 - 10/9/2017 1:44:33 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Aaron Cross

If Wiggins chooses not to sign this deal, would that be a bad thing? Then he’s restricted next offseason? If he became restricted and we didn’t match, that opens up alot of money to bring in one max player or two solid role players, right? Maybe I’m completely wrong on all levels. I really don’t understand the process.

If we let him go to restricted free agency and we renounce his rights along with Bjelica's and Shabazz's, and we cut Cole, we'd have about 15-18M in cap space.

Not nearly enough for a Max player, but probably 2 decent roleplayers. Our roster would be

Teague/Jones
Crawford
Butler
Taj/Dieng
KAT/Patton

Plus whatever we could buy with 15-18M.

We'd be in bad shape. And it could get much, much worse the following year as Butler and KAT's contracts will explode and Teague and Taj can walk.

< Message edited by David Levine -- 10/9/2017 1:46:27 PM >
Post #: 9633
RE: Wolves talk and rumors 2014 - 10/9/2017 1:45:37 PM   
David Levine

It really comes down to us either needing to sign Wiggins and he becomes a star, or we trade him for significant value.

Letting him walk could be an absolute killer. Maybe even worse than signing him and him not improving at all.
Post #: 9634
RE: Wolves talk and rumors 2014 - 10/9/2017 1:51:13 PM   
TJSweens

I certainly wouldn't renounce on him. If he were to hold off on signing that could enable us more time to trade him or with a bad year, reduce his leverage for a max deal. The best Wiggins could hope for personally is to have a great year and sign a max deal, which he can get right now. Like I said, I don't see a real upside for Wig if he were to decide against signing a contract.

Post #: 9635
RE: Wolves talk and rumors 2014 - 10/9/2017 1:53:04 PM   
David Levine

quote:

I certainly wouldn't renounce on him. If he were to hold off on signing that could enable us more time to trade him or with a bad year, reduce his leverage for a max deal. The best Wiggins could hope for personally is to have a great year and sign a max deal, which he can get right now. Like I said, I don't see a real upside for Wig if he were to decide against signing a contract.

But Aaron was talking about letting him walk next offseason to free up cap space for other signings. Renouncing him is the only way to do that, as he'd have a ~23M cap hold as an RFA.
Post #: 9636
RE: Wolves talk and rumors 2014 - 10/9/2017 2:03:08 PM   
TJSweens

I wasn't really answering Aaron. Just making an observation.

Post #: 9637
RE: Wolves talk and rumors 2014 - 10/9/2017 3:55:19 PM   
Elliot

quote:

In Krawczynski’s podcast on Saturday they brought up the possibility Wiggins has quietly asked for a trade like Kyrie did. Thus explaining why he hasn’t signed his contract yet.

But he said the most likely reason is Wiggins is trying to get a 5th year player option and Taylor isn’t budging. I hope Taylor/Thibs stand firm. What a greedy demand by Wiggins considering he’s getting this max offer based on his potential, not his accomplishments.

Wiggins has already stated that he thinks he's getting paid for what he's already accomplished and not his potential.

Life is just what happens to you,
While you're busy making other plans

~ John Lennon
Post #: 9638
RE: Wolves talk and rumors 2014 - 10/9/2017 6:15:17 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

3-point shot ruined basketball in my opinion.

Total agreement. An ABA desperation ploy.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 9639
RE: Wolves talk and rumors 2014 - 10/9/2017 6:17:09 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: ruffenach

The team that is on the court is not the team that finished last season with the wolves. It may take the entire season for this team to gel. Thibodaux runs a highly sophisticated offense and defense depends on each person knowing what to do. We have a lot of new players would you all have to learn how to play together as a team. There are signs of a good team coming together but it may be a very frustrating process until everything comes

I'm confident the Wolves will be quite good from game one. The Warriors Starters put the beat down on the Wolves reserves in that game. They were pissed about losing the first two games of preseason.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 9640
RE: Wolves talk and rumors 2014 - 10/10/2017 9:41:55 AM   
SoMnFan

Sorry if this has been posted
An interesting way to look at the upcoming year (how to compare to the Warriors ... might as well)

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/20847733/nba-preview-2017-18-warriors-vs-everybody-power-rankings#timberwolves
Post #: 9641
RE: Wolves talk and rumors 2014 - 10/10/2017 11:36:18 AM   
David Levine

Jimmy Butler is the freaking best. A great read:

Don't Try to Change Jimmy Butler

https://www.si.com/nba/2017/10/10/jimmy-butler-nba-preview-timberwolves-tom-thibodeau
Post #: 9642
RE: Wolves talk and rumors 2014 - 10/11/2017 2:10:44 PM   
David Levine

The Minnesota Timberwolves have signed forward Andrew Wiggins to a multiyear contract extension.

The Timberwolves did not announce terms of the deal, but ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski reports the sides agreed on a five-year, $146.5 million extension.

"I'm very excited to continue my career with the Timberwolves," Wiggins said in a statement released by the team. "I love it here. The fans and organization have supported me from my first day here in Minnesota. I want to thank Glen Taylor, Tom Thibodeau, the entire coaching staff and my teammates for believing in me. We've had some good times over the last three seasons, but the best is yet to come. I look forward to doing right by them and bringing this team to the postseason."

Wiggins, 22, is one of the Timberwolves' cornerstone players, along with center Karl-Anthony Towns and newly acquired All-Star guard Jimmy Butler. Wiggins averaged 23.5 points a game in 2016-17 and has progressed into one of the NBA's most explosive young wing players.

"I'm pleased that we've reached an agreement with Andrew on a contract extension," Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor said. "Andrew is one of the best young players in the NBA and he has the talent and work ethic to get even better and be a foundation for our franchise for many years."

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20991683/minnesota-timberwolves-guard-andrew-wiggins-signs-rookie-extension
Post #: 9643
RE: Wolves talk and rumors 2014 - 10/11/2017 2:42:02 PM   
TJSweens

I hope one day to be excited about this, but right now I just can't. I feel like this off season has gone a long way toward handcuffing the organization in its attempts to build a proper supporting cast around Towns / Butler. Spent too much money for the wrong players. The only way this works is if Wiggins develops into Butler 2.0.

Post #: 9644
RE: Wolves talk and rumors 2014 - 10/11/2017 2:49:16 PM   
David Levine

quote:

I hope one day to be excited about this, but right now I just can't. I feel like this off season has gone a long way toward handcuffing the organization in its attempts to build a proper supporting cast around Towns / Butler. Spent too much money for the wrong players. The only way this works is if Wiggins develops into Butler 2.0.

Yup. Things could get really scary in 2 years when Taj and Teague can walk and we don't have anything but exceptions to replace them.
Post #: 9645
RE: Wolves talk and rumors 2014 - 10/11/2017 3:11:04 PM   
David Levine

Shams Charania ✔@ShamsCharania
Andrew Wiggins' Minnesota final extension terms: five-year, $146.5M max deal -- with no player option, league source tells The Vertical.
12:40 PM - Oct 11, 2017
Post #: 9646
RE: Wolves talk and rumors 2014 - 10/11/2017 3:33:44 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

Yup. Things could get really scary in 2 years when Taj and Teague can walk and we don't have anything but exceptions to replace them.

I just read that about 70 players in the NBA are on Max Contracts. All Wiggins has to do to be worth this contract IMO is be a top 50 player. The people that like to put Wiggins down act like he is another Rudy Gay.
Rudy Gay before injuries was pretty darn good. If Wiggins can be a healthier version or Rudy Gay I'm fine with that. I'll hope for better because I'm greedy.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 9647
RE: Wolves talk and rumors 2014 - 10/11/2017 3:35:27 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

Shams Charania ✔@ShamsCharania
Andrew Wiggins' Minnesota final extension terms: five-year, $146.5M max deal -- with no player option, league source tells The Vertical.
12:40 PM - Oct 11, 2017

My best guess as to why he hadn't signed yet was he was trying to get a player option. I expected the Wolves to hold firm if that were the case.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 9648
RE: Wolves talk and rumors 2014 - 10/11/2017 7:30:26 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: kurt bilben

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

What a beatdown by GS.

Wolves fans are going to be saying a lot of "wait until next year"...

What are Laker fans saying again this year?

They're sacrificing chickens at the alter of Paul George.

We are saying just wait until 2019 baby!
Post #: 9649
RE: Wolves talk and rumors 2014 - 10/11/2017 8:40:46 PM   
kgdabom

I watched the Presser today. Wiggins basically said he hadn't signed because he didn't have an agent and was afraid of screwing something up. I'm going to take him at his word and the Wolves are now one big happy family.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 9650
Page:   <<   < prev  384 385 [386] 387 388   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Wolves talk and rumors 2014 Page: <<   < prev  384 385 [386] 387 388   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode