Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Minnesota Lynx

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Minnesota Lynx Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 6/4/2008 11:28:34 AM   
David Levine

ATLANTA - Minnesota Lynx coach Don Zierden pulled aside rookie Candice Wiggins, hoping to inspire his young star after she went scoreless in the first half.

“She wasn’t playing like we expected her to play,” Zierden said. “We saw a couple of sets that were working with her running it, so we went ahead and stayed with that and milked it for all we could.”

Wiggins scored all of her 22 points in the second half and hit a key three-pointer, and Charde Houston made two free throws with 38 seconds left to help the undefeated Lynx beat the winless Atlanta Dream 85-81 Tuesday night.

Wiggins, picked third overall in the draft, shot 7-for-10 from the field in the second half, making half of her six three-point tries. Her three-pointer with 1:09 left gave Minnesota a 78-76 lead.

In a reserve role, she wanted to give Minnesota a spark.

“I just really tried to come off the bench and give as much energy I could,” Wiggins said. “You have an advantage being on the bench where you can see sort of what’s going on.”

The Lynx won their fifth consecutive game and continued the best start in franchise history. Nicky Anosike had 20 points and 12 rebounds and Seimone Augustus added 19 points for Minnesota.
Post #: 26
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 6/4/2008 12:20:43 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

ATLANTA - Minnesota Lynx coach Don Zierden pulled aside rookie Candice Wiggins, hoping to inspire his young star after she went scoreless in the first half.

“She wasn’t playing like we expected her to play,” Zierden said. “We saw a couple of sets that were working with her running it, so we went ahead and stayed with that and milked it for all we could.”

Wiggins scored all of her 22 points in the second half and hit a key three-pointer, and Charde Houston made two free throws with 38 seconds left to help the undefeated Lynx beat the winless Atlanta Dream 85-81 Tuesday night.

Wiggins, picked third overall in the draft, shot 7-for-10 from the field in the second half, making half of her six three-point tries. Her three-pointer with 1:09 left gave Minnesota a 78-76 lead.

In a reserve role, she wanted to give Minnesota a spark.

“I just really tried to come off the bench and give as much energy I could,” Wiggins said. “You have an advantage being on the bench where you can see sort of what’s going on.”

The Lynx won their fifth consecutive game and continued the best start in franchise history. Nicky Anosike had 20 points and 12 rebounds and Seimone Augustus added 19 points for Minnesota.

Wow I did not know that Wiggins got all of her 22 in the second half. That is pretty crazy. She obviously has the all around skills but if she can be a lights out go to scorer when needed we might really be on to something.
Post #: 27
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 6/4/2008 1:35:02 PM   
Jim Frenette

FSN will air the Lynx on Sunday and ESPN will Tuesday when they Play Lindsay

Fargo
Post #: 28
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 6/9/2008 10:17:34 AM   
Jim Frenette

Another win for the Lynx last night. And again, I'm impressed with the 3 draft picks

Fargo
Post #: 29
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 6/9/2008 11:59:29 AM   
TJSweens

Houston in the 3rd round has been by far the steal of the draft. The runner up would be Anisoke in the 2nd round.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 30
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 6/9/2008 2:26:18 PM   
kgdabom

The Rookies have been great. Hopefully when Harding returns it won't disrupt anything. I will tune in for at least part of the game on Tuesday but I am guessing it will be going on same time as NBA finals.
Post #: 31
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 6/9/2008 4:02:24 PM   
DavidAOlson

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

The Rookies have been great. Hopefully when Harding returns it won't disrupt anything. I will tune in for at least part of the game on Tuesday but I am guessing it will be going on same time as NBA finals.

Nope. 6-8 central, finals at 8.

I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it. --- Alice
Post #: 32
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 6/17/2008 8:42:13 PM   
So.Mn.Fan

Whats your guys take on the Becky Hammon controversy?
Here's mine.
Screw USA Basketball.
Anne Donovan is simply scared crapless that she'll play for Russia and show up the committee/coaches who dissed her.
Runner-up in MVP voting last season and doesn't get an original invite to the ahem, "try-outs"?
Screw that. Someone says, come and play for us and we'll give you a chance to show them what they skipped out on, I do it.
I'm probably dead-wrong on some of the facts here, don't follow it enough, but I'm ashamed they are calling her a "traitor".
She's a basketball player who wants to play on that stage (Olympics).
Make some of the younger "stars" wait their turn, She should have been an automatic call for the tryout process if nothing else.
I'm as "rah-rah for the good old USA" as anyone on the planet, but it's wrong, imo, to try to make her out to be some Benedict Arnold over this.  
Post #: 33
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 6/18/2008 12:49:24 AM   
Bruce Johnson

It's a big deal to play in the olympics.  I certainly wouldn't blame her and I wish her well.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 34
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 6/18/2008 12:51:23 AM   
kgdabom

Agreed. Russia is no longer the Evil Empire. She wants to play and after being snubbed by the US has every right to play.
Post #: 35
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 6/18/2008 9:33:00 AM   
Jim Frenette

quote:

ORIGINAL: So.Mn.Fan

Whats your guys take on the Becky Hammon controversy?
Here's mine.
Screw USA Basketball.
Anne Donovan is simply scared crapless that she'll play for Russia and show up the committee/coaches who dissed her.
Runner-up in MVP voting last season and doesn't get an original invite to the ahem, "try-outs"?
Screw that. Someone says, come and play for us and we'll give you a chance to show them what they skipped out on, I do it.
I'm probably dead-wrong on some of the facts here, don't follow it enough, but I'm ashamed they are calling her a "traitor".
She's a basketball player who wants to play on that stage (Olympics).
Make some of the younger "stars" wait their turn, She should have been an automatic call for the tryout process if nothing else.
I'm as "rah-rah for the good old USA" as anyone on the planet, but it's wrong, imo, to try to make her out to be some Benedict Arnold over this.  

First off, I'm not for the change in Oly rules allowing professionals to play

Fargo
Post #: 36
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 6/21/2008 12:59:05 PM   
David Levine

Got to stop finding ways of pulling defeat from the jaws of victory.

Inexcusable to lose a 7 point lead with 35 seconds left in the game.
Post #: 37
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 6/21/2008 1:06:03 PM   
Jim Frenette

Lynx on a little losing streak. Time for a win tonight and a streak in the other direction

Fargo
Post #: 38
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 6/21/2008 6:13:38 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

Got to stop finding ways of pulling defeat from the jaws of victory.

Inexcusable to lose a 7 point lead with 35 seconds left in the game.

That is so depressing. SO they led by seven and blew it with only 35 seconds???????? OUCH. Get it back together Lynx. They might miss the playoffs again unless they turn things around quick.
Post #: 39
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 6/21/2008 6:23:25 PM   
kgdabom

Lindsey Harding came back and played but was 1-6 FGs and 3-6 FTs. Not a good game for Lindsey.
Post #: 40
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 6/21/2008 9:50:08 PM   
TJSweens

She is going to need a few games to get her legs under her. She is coming back at a good time as Noel Quinn has been a bit disappointig this year after being an assist machine last year.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 41
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 6/25/2008 1:20:14 AM   
kgdabom

Lynx win big against McCarville and the NY Liberty tonight. Ohlde actually had a great game going 7-8 from the field.
Post #: 42
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 6/25/2008 8:56:03 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

Lynx win big against McCarville and the NY Liberty tonight. Ohlde actually had a great game going 7-8 from the field.

Ah yes. I remember when the Lynx wouldn't part with #6 (turned out to be Ohlde), #7 (turned out to be Hayden) and 2 starters who are no longer with the  team to get Lindsey Whalen. Brilliant decision.

Post #: 43
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 6/25/2008 9:00:42 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

Ah yes. I remember when the Lynx wouldn't part with #6 (turned out to be Ohlde), #7 (turned out to be Hayden) and 2 starters who are no longer with the  team to get Lindsey Whalen. Brilliant decision.

Let me get this straight. Two starters and two top seven draft picks for Whalen. I wouldn't have done it either. Now hindsight is 20/20 so of course now I would do it.
Post #: 44
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 6/25/2008 9:29:26 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

Let me get this straight. Two starters and two top seven draft picks for Whalen. I wouldn't have done it either. Now hindsight is 20/20 so of course now I would do it.

I would have absolutely. The Lynx should have ben more than willing to over pay for Whalen. There was a big drop off before #6. I knew Ohlde would be #6 no matter who took the pick and there was a severe drop off after her. I was never impressed with Ohlde at Kansas. Especially after McCarville destroyed her in the NCAA. The starters were from a lousy team and they included Ambrosimova who was never that good and promptly lost her starting job and a PG that they picked up in a dispersal draft and didn't even finish the year with the Lynx. Whalen was corner stone player coming out of college and could have energized a fan base with the local angle. This was a perfect storm pick for the Lynx and they blew it.

Post #: 45
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 6/25/2008 9:36:19 PM   
David Levine

quote:

I would have absolutely. The Lynx should have ben more than willing to over pay for Whalen. There was a big drop off before #6. I knew Ohlde would be #6 no matter who took the pick and there was a severe drop off after her. I was never impressed with Ohlde at Kansas. Especially after McCarville destroyed her in the NCAA. The starters were from a lousy team and they included Ambrosimova who was never that good and promptly lost her starting job and a PG that they picked up in a dispersal draft and didn't even finish the year with the Lynx. Whalen was corner stone player coming out of college and could have energized a fan base with the local angle. This was a perfect storm pick for the Lynx and they blew it.

That was the key to me. I have never seen a female athlete that was so embraced by Minnesota. The stories in the paper, the people going to the games "just to see Lindsey", etc.

From a marketing/sales standpoint it was a no-brainer and would've bought YEARS of good will.
Post #: 46
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 6/25/2008 10:05:04 PM   
DavidAOlson

quote:

quote:

That was the key to me. I have never seen a female athlete that was so embraced by Minnesota. The stories in the paper, the people going to the games "just to see Lindsey", etc.

From a marketing/sales standpoint it was a no-brainer and would've bought YEARS of good will.

At the time, my understanding was that CT turned them down, for the obvious reason that there was such a big talent dropoff.

I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it. --- Alice
Post #: 47
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 6/25/2008 10:14:26 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: DavidAOlson
At the time, my understanding was that CT turned them down, for the obvious reason that there was such a big talent dropoff.

At the end CT made the 2 picks and starters proposal and the Lynx balked at it.

Post #: 48
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 6/26/2008 10:37:20 AM   
David Jerde

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: DavidAOlson

At the end CT made the 2 picks and starters proposal and the Lynx balked at it.

So, the point is the Lynx braintrust is on par with the Wolves'?
Post #: 49
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 6/26/2008 8:43:27 PM   
Jim Frenette

Why have they cut Houston's playing time?

Fargo
Post #: 50
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Minnesota Lynx Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode