Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Minnesota Lynx

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Minnesota Lynx Page: <<   < prev  64 65 [66] 67 68   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 10/22/2013 7:10:51 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

When it comes to word definitions the reason I used the Websters dictionary is that they are probably the most commonly accepted source of definitions that are available. Would you agree that in that sense they are authoritative?

In the context of this discussion? No.

As for Carmelo being in the same class as Kobe and Lebron he certainly is not as good as them but he is an NBA basketball player and in that way he is in the same class as Lebron, Kobe, JJ Barea etc.

In that sense I am in the same class as them since we're all male, carbon based life forms.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 1626
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 10/23/2013 8:15:38 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

When it comes to word definitions the reason I used the Websters dictionary is that they are probably the most commonly accepted source of definitions that are available. Would you agree that in that sense they are authoritative?

In the context of this discussion? No.

As for Carmelo being in the same class as Kobe and Lebron he certainly is not as good as them but he is an NBA basketball player and in that way he is in the same class as Lebron, Kobe, JJ Barea etc.

In that sense I am in the same class as them since we're all male, carbon based life forms.

Correct but in all classes their will tend to be the superior specimens and the inferior specimens. Just because you are not as big and strong as Lebron doesn't mean you are not a male carbon based life form. Just because Carmelo is not as good as Lebron doesn't automatically men he isn't a superstar. I just started discussing this Angel Superstar thing because I think that by most all the objective standards of what makes a superstar she qualifies. You can certainly reserve your own personal definition of what that is and within your own personal definition you don't have to consider Angel or Carmelo superstars.
Post #: 1627
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 10/23/2013 8:28:22 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Jerde

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Jerde

Head, meet wall
Head, meet wall
Head, meet wall
Head, meet wall
Head, meet wall
Head, meet wall
Head, meet wall
Head, meet wall
Head, meet wall
Head, meet wall
Head, meet wall
Head, meet wall
Head, meet wall
Head, meet wall
Head, meet wall
Head, meet wall

David J you made a comment regarding my post earlier that was extremely wrong as if you hadn't even bothered reading what I wrote and you just wanted to reply and did so in a derisive mocking manner. Have you bothered apologizing to me? Have fun beating your head against a wall.

I post under my real name. I read your original messages and arrived at an interpretation. I reread your messages following your reply and could see no merit in your defense. An apology is neither appropriate nor necessary.

The head/wall comment is not directed at you specifically, just my general observation that there will not be an agreement on the topic of Angel. Given the divergence of strong opinion, I don't understand why the dialogue (more of a series of monologues) continues.

David J. thank you very much for this reply. I owe you an apology then. I appreciate what you said. My real name is Richard Petzoldt so now you have mine. I just like KG and have used KGdaBom since his rookie season. Eldon a name that I used briefly for fun is my middle name.
I still don't see how you could read my statement as saying I am never wrong when I stated to win and argument I need to be the person who comes to the realization that I am wrong. I also stated that I have won arguments with DL in that manner.
Post #: 1628
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 11/3/2013 9:56:32 PM   
Minnyme

Where the Lynx are spending their off-season:

Player, Club, Country

Seimone Augustus, Dynamo Kursk, Russia

Rebekkah Brunson, Dynamo Kursk, Russia

Amber Harris, Famila Wüber, Schio Italy

Rachel Jarry, Melbourne, Australia

Janel McCarville, CCC Polkowice, Poland

Lindsey Moore, Virtus Elite La Spezia, Italy

Maya Moore, Shanxi Xing Rui, China

Devereaux Peters, Dynamo-GUVD Novosibirsk, Russia

Sugar Rodgers, (don't know what team) Israel

Lindsay Whalen, Dynamo Moscow, Russia

Monica Wright, KEB Hanabank, South Korea
Post #: 1629
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 11/3/2013 11:27:25 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Minnyme

Where the Lynx are spending their off-season:

Player, Club, Country

Seimone Augustus, Dynamo Kursk, Russia

Rebekkah Brunson, Dynamo Kursk, Russia

Amber Harris, Famila Wüber, Schio Italy

Rachel Jarry, Melbourne, Australia

Janel McCarville, CCC Polkowice, Poland

Lindsey Moore, Virtus Elite La Spezia, Italy

Maya Moore, Shanxi Xing Rui, China

Devereaux Peters, Dynamo-GUVD Novosibirsk, Russia

Sugar Rodgers, (don't know what team) Israel

Lindsay Whalen, Dynamo Moscow, Russia

Monica Wright, KEB Hanabank, South Korea

Interesting. Thanks for the post Minnyme. I think I would Choose Melbourne all other things being equal. English is the primary language and I hear the beaches are awesome. Also I might meet my teen years dream girl Olivia.
Post #: 1630
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 12/10/2013 9:36:06 PM   
Minnyme

Draft lottery took place today for the 4 non-playoff teams. So the draft order will be ... (some time next spring whenever they get some kind of CBA signed )

Pick Team Record
1. Connecticut Sun ......... 10-24
2. Tulsa Shock ................ 11-23
3. San Antonio Silver Stars ........ 12-22
4. New York Liberty ....... 11-23
5. Indiana Fever ............ 16-18
6. Washington Mystics ..... 17-17
7. Seattle Storm ............ 17-17
8. Atlanta Dream .......... ..17-17
9. Phoenix Mercury ......... 19-15
10. Chicago Sky ............. 24-10
11. Los Angeles Sparks .... 24-10
12. Minnesota Lynx .......... 26-8

< Message edited by Minnyme -- 12/10/2013 9:38:45 PM >
Post #: 1631
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 12/11/2013 11:25:20 AM   
Bruce Johnson

Any blue chippers in this years draft, Minnyme?

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 1632
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 2/7/2014 11:03:20 PM   
kgdabom

With the Wolves looking like another season with no playoffs I am looking forward to the Lynx again.
Post #: 1633
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 2/10/2014 8:54:54 PM   
Minnyme

quote:

With the Wolves looking like another season with no playoffs I am looking forward to the Lynx again.

The song "Killing Me Softly" comes to mind. The season looked so hopeful; that things would start to turn, that they could figure things out and find some consistency ... Maybe they get hungry & refocused out of the All-Star break. Think positive ...
Post #: 1634
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 2/10/2014 9:27:56 PM   
Minnyme

Oh yeah the LA Sparks went up for sale in Dec when the independent owners had issues & bailed.
http://www.swishappeal.com/2014/1/3/5269568/sparks-watch-day-2-what-happened

Golden State Warriors owners showed interest in owning a WNBA team. And maybe at the head of the class in getting a team in the Bay area should a team become available or future expansion.

http://www.swishappeal.com/2014/1/4/5273210/sparks-watch-day-3-the-candidates-for-new-ownership

Swish Appeal did a great job (where main stream media didn’t ) of keeping up with what was going on with this.

Soooooo they found a new owner …

“The WNBA and NBA Board of Governors have unanimously approved the purchase of the Los Angeles Sparks by an investment group led by Earvin “Magic” Johnson and controlling owner of the Los Angeles Dodgers, Mark R. Walter, …”

http://www.wnba.com/news/los_angeles_announcement_020514.html

---------------------------------

In other news ; Michael Cooper is back in the W as the new coach for the ATL Dream.
http://www.wnba.com/dream/news/michaelcooperheadcoach112113.html

< Message edited by Minnyme -- 2/10/2014 11:07:41 PM >
Post #: 1635
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 2/10/2014 9:43:44 PM   
Minnyme

Best news to this point with no CBA in place … the schedule is now out

Home opener is Sunday May 18 with 4pm tip time. Banner & ring ceremony maybe around 3pm

Lots of fun facts here --> http://www.wnba.com/lynx/news/lynx_schedule_2014_02_06.html
Post #: 1636
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 2/10/2014 9:49:23 PM   
David Levine

quote:

Oh yeah the LA Sparks went up for sale in Dec when the independent owners had issues & bailed.

Golden State Warriors owners showed interest in owning a WNBA team. And maybe at the head of the class in getting a team in the Bay area should a team become available or future expansion.

Swish Appeal did a great job (where main stream media didn’t ) of keeping up with what was going on with this.

Soooooo they found a new owner …

“The WNBA and NBA Board of Governors have unanimously approved the purchase of the Los Angeles Sparks by an investment group led by Earvin “Magic” Johnson and controlling owner of the Los Angeles Dodgers, Mark R. Walter, …”

http://www.wnba.com/news/los_angeles_announcement_020514.html

---------------------------------

In other news ; Michael Cooper is back in the W as the new coach for the ATL Dream.
http://www.wnba.com/dream/news/michaelcooperheadcoach112113.html

Nate and his crew at SwishAppeal always do outstanding work. The best source for all women's hoops.
Post #: 1637
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 2/17/2014 10:33:14 PM   
Minnyme

Aaaaaaand an agreement has been reached

Last wkend the league and players came to agreement on a new 6 yr deal.

http://espn.go.com/wnba/story/_/id/10461073/wnba-players-union-agree-new-collective-bargaining-agreement

Maybe the biggest thing for fans is :

quote:

The maximum team roster size will increase by one to 12 under the deal, which must be drafted into a formal collective bargaining agreement in the next few weeks.

No official date for the Draft yet. No word yet on when the free agent list will come out and when teams can start wheeling and dealing but that needs to get going in the next wk or two. Finally no date on when camps opens but with the early start this yr, mid to late April is a good guess.
Post #: 1638
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 2/17/2014 11:21:31 PM   
Minnyme

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

Well to answer this …. the Lynx have the 12th and 15th (via trade) picks so we won’t have a shot at the top picks. Those possible lottery pick candidates that are the most talented IMO will likely come from :

1. Chiney Ogwumike – PF/C - Stanford (sister Nneka went #1 in 2012 to LA)
2. Odyssey Sims – G - Baylor
3. Alyssa Thomas – SF - Maryland
4. Kayla McBride – SG – Notre Dame

After them its kind of wide open. There’s great debate as to who maybe the “best player” on the board when a teams pick rolls around. So some people to watch during Conference tournaments and the NCAAs :

Guards/wings
Tricia Liston – wing – Duke
Bria Hartley – G – UConn
Chelsea Gray – G – Duke (season ended, fractured kneecap – not likely to be able to play this summer-good player)
Christina Foggie – wing - Vanderbilt
Jasmine Lister – G – Vanderbilt
Maggie Lucas – G- Penn State
Shoni Schimmel – G – Louisville
Meighan Simmons – G - Tennesee

Stefanie Dolson – C - UConn
Natasha Howard – C – Florida State
Jordan Hooper – PF – Nebraska

Most players I have no interest in. There are few I like in this draft. My hope is Natalie Achonwa will be around when we pick. Or maybe take the flyer on the injured Chelsea Gray. If not for being injured (again) she would likely have gone in the top half of the draft. The tough thing is she’s building a history of leg injuries. She could be brought along slowing if drafted by the Lynx because of the players already on the roster.

< Message edited by Minnyme -- 2/17/2014 11:26:06 PM >
Post #: 1639
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 2/23/2014 8:39:33 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

Well to answer this …. the Lynx have the 12th and 15th (via trade) picks so we won’t have a shot at the top picks. Those possible lottery pick candidates that are the most talented IMO will likely come from :

After them its kind of wide open. There’s great debate as to who maybe the “best player” on the board when a teams pick rolls around. So some people to watch during Conference tournaments and the NCAAs :

Guards/wings
Bria Hartley – G – UConn
Chelsea Gray – G – Duke (season ended, fractured kneecap – not likely to be able to play this summer-good player)

Most players I have no interest in. There are few I like in this draft. My hope is Natalie Achonwa will be around when we pick. Or maybe take the flyer on the injured Chelsea Gray. If not for being injured (again) she would likely have gone in the top half of the draft. The tough thing is she’s building a history of leg injuries. She could be brought along slowing if drafted by the Lynx because of the players already on the roster.

Great info MinnyMe. I have not been hearing much buzz around any of these players. Are any of those top four considered can't miss prospects?
Post #: 1640
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 3/7/2014 3:55:17 PM   
twinsfan

Tom Kelly

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 1641
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 3/7/2014 4:37:49 PM   
TJSweens

Scott Baker

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 1642
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 3/8/2014 12:29:56 AM   
Minnyme

quote:

Scott Baker

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

Tom Kelly

Well neither of those guys have a shot at being drafted

But in other news the CBA has been approved and signed :

http://www.wnba.com/news/wnba_agrees_on_cba_030714.html

Qualifing offers can now go out and free agency & trading activity can get worked out.
Post #: 1643
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 3/26/2014 6:34:05 PM   
kgdabom

Wolves have given up the ghost. Bring on the draft and the LYNX!
Post #: 1644
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 4/11/2014 3:52:57 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

Guards/wings
Bria Hartley – G – UConn

Natalie Ochonwa I believe is the player who got injured during the NCAA tournament. Maybe that helps her to fall to us but I doubt it.
Post #: 1645
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 4/11/2014 3:59:59 PM   
David Levine

quote:

Natalie Achonwa I believe is the player who got injured during the NCAA tournament. Maybe that helps her to fall to us but I doubt it.

WNBA.com's current mock draft has her going to us.

She'l likely to miss the whole season, so she's going to only go to a team that can afford to "stash" her for a year.
Post #: 1646
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 4/11/2014 4:02:33 PM   
TJSweens

I think they know there isn't much at 12 and 15. That's probably why they went out and signed former 3rd round pick Waltiea Rolle a 6'6" center who played in Bulgaria last year. They also signed their 1st round pick from 2 years ago Damiris Dantas from Brazil. She is 6'4" center. Whoever they draft this year will probably be the same kind of deal. Promising talent who they can wait to sign in a couple of years. Achonwa would fit that mold.

Post #: 1647
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 4/11/2014 11:15:25 PM   
Minnyme

quote:

I think they know there isn't much at 12 and 15. That's probably why they went out and signed former 3rd round pick Waltiea Rolle a 6'6" center who played in Bulgaria last year. They also signed their 1st round pick from 2 years ago Damiris Dantas from Brazil. She is 6'4" center. Whoever they draft this year will probably be the same kind of deal. Promising talent who they can wait to sign in a couple of years. Achonwa would fit that mold.

I don't believe the signing of the 2 above will keep the Lynx from selecting Achonwa. The Lynx signed both Dantas & Rolle because they they each are available now. Dantas was signed at 19, wasn't ready but feels ready to give it a try now. Rolle missed a yr of school to give birth before rejoining UNC for her senior yr. She elected to to finsh school & go overseason and come to camp a yr later.

Dantas is part of Brazil's National team. Since Brazil host the next Olympics, they're in. So not sure she'd try to leave early to play in the World Championships this yr. But she is sure to stay home as the host prepare for the Olympics. Anyway she's no lock. It will probably be an either or with her and Rolle, but who knows.
Post #: 1648
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 4/11/2014 11:53:44 PM   
Minnyme

Been a while but thankfully the Lynx re-signed McCarville and matched a Seattle offer sheet for Monica Wright so the top 8 important parts of the gang are back (I include L. Moore)

So the Lynx are looking for back ups to back up the back ups Ya know, sure up the end of the bench.

Right now Amber Harris & Rachel Jarry appear to be rehabing some somewhat significant injuries and Rodgers a lesser injury. Jarry is on the Aussie Nat'l team and may chose to stay home, rehab and pre for the World Championships w/many other Aussies. (Seattle's Lauren Jackson will not play for the Storm this summer & will stay In Austrailia).
So, with the increased roster to 12, I'd say the last 4 spots the team will look to strengthen as much as possible.

Some more random stuff out :

http://espn.go.com/wnba/story/_/id/10767524/wnba-connecticut-sun-expected-select-stanford-cardinal-chiney-ogwumike-no-1-draft-pick

http://www.swishappeal.com/2014/4/10/5599470/wnba-draft-2014-prospects-ncaa-tournament

I don't see this draft as deep at all. Kind of a crap shoot, pick a player(s) to work with and hope they can be productive enough to maybe make the team.

I'm still all taking Achonwa if she's there at 12. Notre Dame's style of play is much like the Lynx and she really would be a great fit. Beyond her, I'm open. Achonwa is a Canadian & key to their Nat'l team so she'll miss the Worlds this yr poor thing.

Other names I find interesting; Post Markeisha Gatling-NC State, Asya Bussie-W VA and another Canadian Michelle Plouffe-Univ of Utah.
Unfortunately some of the guards I kind of like are listed at 5-7 Tiffany Bias- OK State (really like her) and Aaryn Ellenberg-OK.
Post #: 1649
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 4/11/2014 11:56:48 PM   
Minnyme

Oh Lynx do have a Draft Central page : http://www.wnba.com/lynx/draft-2014.html

You can get some info on some of the prospects there.
Post #: 1650
Page:   <<   < prev  64 65 [66] 67 68   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Minnesota Lynx Page: <<   < prev  64 65 [66] 67 68   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode