Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

MMA Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Other Sports >> MMA Talk Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
MMA Talk - 4/8/2018 12:07:07 AM   
Ian Joseph

For Pete and other fans.

Hate the message, not the messenger.

Enjoy the process; crave the goal.

Believe.
Post #: 1
RE: MMA Talk - 4/8/2018 12:31:31 AM   
JT2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian Joseph

For Pete and other fans.

Thanks Ian.

Khabib was not his normal dominant self. Iaquinta was resilient and tough.

Khabib went 5 for the first time ever, but spent 3 and 4 on his feet.

I think some of the fear has gone away. He showed some vulnerabilities. High chin, especially.
Post #: 2
RE: MMA Talk - 4/8/2018 12:55:54 AM   
Ian Joseph

quote:

ORIGINAL: JT2

quote:

For Pete and other fans.

Thanks Ian.

I think some of the fear has gone away. He showed some vulnerabilities. High chin, especially.

I've just never been able to get into MMA. And its a trip, becuz its absolutely set up for me to like it.

Maybe I should have rooted harder for Daniel La Russo or the Cobra Kai lol.

Believe.
Post #: 3
RE: MMA Talk - 4/8/2018 1:00:30 AM   
JT2

quote:

quote:

quote:

For Pete and other fans.

Thanks Ian.

I've just never been able to get into MMA. And its a trip, becuz its absolutely set up for me to like it.

I fought against it for the longest time, always being a fan of the sweet science.

But, I can't help but appreciate how great some of these fighters are. It's addicting.

Unfortunately, Dana White is Don King, so there is that.
Post #: 4
RE: MMA Talk - 4/8/2018 1:20:02 AM   
Ian Joseph

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

For Pete and other fans.

Thanks Ian.

I fought against it for the longest time, always being a fan of the sweet science.

But, I can't help but appreciate how great some of these fighters are. It's addicting.

Its too many people involved for me to really invest in it. I'm sure the same thing can be said about boxing, but I feel like there is a "major fight" like every month on PPV.

Maybe if it were on more non-PPV channels and/or didn't cost $50 a pop, I could get more into it. But, between that and these ridiculous UFC 337-esque numbers, depicting their 1,425th show, it's an eye roll for me more so than entertainment.

I think I've watched maybe 10 total UFC PPVs and I didn't buy any of them. But, I'm curious.. what finally was the catalyst to get you to watch UFC?

Believe.
Post #: 5
RE: MMA Talk - 4/8/2018 1:51:00 AM   
JT2

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

For Pete and other fans.

Thanks Ian.

Its too many people involved for me to really invest in it. I'm sure the same thing can be said about boxing, but I feel like there is a "major fight" like every month on PPV.

Maybe if it were on more non-PPV channels and/or didn't cost $50 a pop, I could get more into it. But, between that and these ridiculous UFC 337-esque numbers, depicting their 1,425th show, it's an eye roll for me more so than entertainment.

I think I've watched maybe 10 total UFC PPVs and I didn't buy any of them. But, I'm curious.. what finally was the catalyst to get you to watch UFC?

Floyd Mayweather. I joke.

I watched Royce Gracie fight back when there were no weight classifications. Fascinating to watch the different disciplines. It's not just human vs. human, it's so interesting watching the different disciplines and how they play out. You have really good strikers (almost boxing level) you have Muay Thai masters, Brazilian Jiu-Jitso, freestyle wrestlers, greco wrestlers, etc...

I also love that many of these guys are fighting on a real short schedule, unlike boxing.
Donald Cerrone is on permanent stand by. This guy seems to fight every other week.

It's almost unheard of to maintain an undefeated streak for very long. The slightest mistake, you lose. You probably will never be the master of all the different styles and disciplines, but you have to learn how to defend against all of them.

There is so much more going on than what you first see.

Yes, I do agree that the UFC # whatever is marketing ignorance.

< Message edited by JT2 -- 4/8/2018 1:52:07 AM >
Post #: 6
RE: MMA Talk - 10/7/2018 2:06:38 PM   
hrerikl

quote:

Either I'm a complete idiot, which is certainly possible, or the MMA thread has a secret access code which I am not privy to.

Anyway, great and strange fight night. Derrick Lewis may be the most unconventional and unintentional entertaining fighter in the UFC.

Pettis/Ferguson was a bloody mess. Ferguson's boxing skills are second to none in the UFC.

Khabib, unfortunately, capped off an impressive, complete beatdown of McGregor with silly, perhaps criminal, behavior outside the octagon.

He took the shine off a masterful performance.

I was texting a friend during the fights, I think I used the phrase that was wild at least 3 different times culminating with the post fight ridiculousness of the headline fight. Khabib's grappling was so impressive and dominant and yet he and his teammates turned McGregor in to a victim.

Khabibs Fight purse is being withheld by NASC. McGregor is getting his. Likely NASC will provide lengthy suspension. I'm not sure about how the work Visa thing works. McGregor was able to come back pretty quickly over the ridiculous dolly incident. This was assault during the event and NASC will definitely come down hard on it. A long suspension by NASC and UFC will strip Khabib of his title. Then what? Ferguson fights a title match against McGregor?

It would feel a bit like the 205 fights when a hugely dominant fighter like Jones has been constantly suspended.
Post #: 7
RE: MMA Talk - 10/8/2018 9:57:51 AM   
JT2

quote:

ORIGINAL: hrerikl

quote:

Either I'm a complete idiot, which is certainly possible, or the MMA thread has a secret access code which I am not privy to.

Anyway, great and strange fight night. Derrick Lewis may be the most unconventional and unintentional entertaining fighter in the UFC.

Pettis/Ferguson was a bloody mess. Ferguson's boxing skills are second to none in the UFC.

Khabib, unfortunately, capped off an impressive, complete beatdown of McGregor with silly, perhaps criminal, behavior outside the octagon.

He took the shine off a masterful performance.

I was texting a friend during the fights, I think I used the phrase that was wild at least 3 different times culminating with the post fight ridiculousness of the headline fight. Khabib's grappling was so impressive and dominant and yet he and his teammates turned McGregor in to a victim.

Khabibs Fight purse is being withheld by NASC. McGregor is getting his. Likely NASC will provide lengthy suspension. I'm not sure about how the work Visa thing works. McGregor was able to come back pretty quickly over the ridiculous dolly incident. This was assault during the event and NASC will definitely come down hard on it. A long suspension by NASC and UFC will strip Khabib of his title. Then what? Ferguson fights a title match against McGregor?

It would feel a bit like the 205 fights when a hugely dominant fighter like Jones has been constantly suspended.

Not sure how/why I can suddenly see this, but thank you.

There was some talk (from one of Khabib's people) that Khabib would retire after beating McGregor. However, I doubt this is the way he wanted to go out.

Obviously Khabib should be suspended and fined, but some of this is on Dana White.
His idea to promote fights all revolves around stoking the fires of bad blood between camps, choosing favorites, touring press/yelling conferences and a complete lack of professionalism.

As far as what's next for McGregor, if Diaz beats Poirier next month, I'm sure White will love to have a Diaz/McGregor 3. And of course he will allow the childish throwing of objects at those touring press conferences too, then act disgusted after the fact.
Post #: 8
RE: MMA Talk - 10/8/2018 10:53:54 AM   
SoMnFan

I'm no expert on this, but my kids drew me in this weekend
You nailed the issues they brought up Pete
These are two guys who love their "affiliations" with ummm, certain groups.
They've been allowed to keep ties and keep stoking the fires of these outside interests they have.
It all starts and ends with DW
Whatever gets the fire burning brightest. Its' ok, until he starts acting above it. You're using it most of the time to make money pal.
Don't act all shocked when one of the combatants takes it too far.
Post #: 9
RE: MMA Talk - 10/8/2018 4:27:54 PM   
twinsfan

I really have no idea what you guys are talking about, but reading about it here, it reads more like the WWE than a legitimate sport. No thanks.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 10
RE: MMA Talk - 10/9/2018 8:35:23 PM   
joejitsu

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

I'm no expert on this, but my kids drew me in this weekend
You nailed the issues they brought up Pete
These are two guys who love their "affiliations" with ummm, certain groups.
They've been allowed to keep ties and keep stoking the fires of these outside interests they have.
It all starts and ends with DW
Whatever gets the fire burning brightest. Its' ok, until he starts acting above it. You're using it most of the time to make money pal.
Don't act all shocked when one of the combatants takes it too far.

I can personally say that dana is a tool. One of my old training partners (who you guys would know) was treated like a red headed stepchild by ufc because he did not tow the company line, which is to talk a bunch of crap before fight night to raise the ppv numbers. I try not to watch ufc, but there are times when the matchups are too good to miss. Khabib vs. mcgregor was one of those fights, but the trash talk was one sided and actually supported by white and ufc, to the point where one of the fighter's whiskey brands was a ring sponsor. I could say so much more about the ufc, but I'll stop so nobody gets bored.
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Other Sports >> MMA Talk Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post