Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Twins off-season

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Twins off-season Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Twins off-season - 12/6/2023 10:28:49 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

I get that you want to save the Pohlad's money, but we need to replace those guys with actual players, not just hopes and dreams.

Yep it always turns out well for teams that overpay a low leverage, middle reliever and a 36 year old 4th starter.

What about the #2 starter who came in 2nd in Cy Young voting?

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 126
RE: Twins off-season - 12/6/2023 11:54:28 AM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

quote:

I get that you want to save the Pohlad's money, but we need to replace those guys with actual players, not just hopes and dreams.

Yep it always turns out well for teams that overpay a low leverage, middle reliever and a 36 year old 4th starter.

I'm sure some AAA pitcher can come up and do that...
Post #: 127
RE: Twins off-season - 12/6/2023 1:12:05 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Talk about changing the goal posts. Paying Pagan and Maeda is way different than Gray on how it affects the team.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 128
RE: Twins off-season - 12/6/2023 1:30:03 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Talk about changing the goal posts. Paying Pagan and Maeda is way different than Gray on how it affects the team.

They're your goalposts.
Post #: 129
RE: Twins off-season - 12/7/2023 7:32:07 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

They're your goalposts.

Really. You went from commenting on KG's post about Pagan and Maeda to Pohlad's saving money to Sonny Gray......

Pretty sure the same BS was said from November to sometime in February and then we traded for Lopez, signed Taylor, Solano, Gallo, and Vazquez.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 12/7/2023 7:36:11 AM >

Post #: 130
RE: Twins off-season - 12/7/2023 8:04:27 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

They're your goalposts.

Really. You went from commenting on KG's post about Pagan and Maeda to Pohlad's saving money to Sonny Gray......

Pretty sure the same BS was said from November to sometime in February and then we traded for Lopez, signed Taylor, Solano, Gallo, and Vazquez.

Here is his original quote

"The TWINS off season could hardly be more pathetic."

He then updated after Maeda and Pagan left. You chose to focus on that subset of his point, thus you were the one who moved the goalposts. David merely returned the conversation to its full context.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 131
RE: Twins off-season - 12/7/2023 9:54:37 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

They're your goalposts.

Phil, you are such a homer.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 132
RE: Twins off-season - 12/7/2023 10:11:15 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

They're your goalposts.

Here is his original quote

"The TWINS off season could hardly be more pathetic."

He then updated after Maeda and Pagan left. You chose to focus on that subset of his point, thus you were the one who moved the goalposts. David merely returned the conversation to its full context.

What post did I comment on? Again who moved the goal posts.

Post #: 133
RE: Twins off-season - 12/7/2023 10:14:42 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

They're your goalposts.

Phil, you are such a homer.

Rinse and repeat every year....teams aren't set in early December.

Post #: 134
RE: Twins off-season - 12/7/2023 10:30:26 AM   
twinsfan

Who got the better of the Juan Soto trade? Has anyone run it through a program?

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 135
RE: Twins off-season - 12/7/2023 11:13:56 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

Who got the better of the Juan Soto trade? Has anyone run it through a program?

I really don't care. Yankees made one of their annual big splashes. Padres got a lot of prospects. It doesn't involve my beloved Twins.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 136
RE: Twins off-season - 12/7/2023 12:18:42 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Local fans here certainly think the Padres won it. Not sure though.
Post #: 137
RE: Twins off-season - 12/7/2023 1:48:15 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

Local fans here certainly think the Padres won it. Not sure though.

That's interesting. Most small-market fans complain endlessly about trades like this.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 138
RE: Twins off-season - 12/8/2023 11:10:48 AM   
Jeff Jesser

The prevailing thought process is that Preller had gone so far all in that he cornered himself and fleeced his farm system. This was a dump to build that back up because the ones he thought would be ready this year didn't pan out. They are, at least, a year away.

Was just listening while taking my kid to school. Fans are losing their minds too because they are completely right handed now too. Both in the box and on the mound.
Post #: 139
RE: Twins off-season - 12/8/2023 1:39:10 PM   
twinsfan

Ohtani to Toronto, as I said.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 140
RE: Twins off-season - 12/8/2023 1:47:09 PM   
twinsfan

Perfectly done.

https://twinsdaily.com/news-rumors/just-for-fun/the-case-against-joe-mauers-hall-of-fame-candidacy-r15360/

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 141
RE: Twins off-season - 12/8/2023 1:52:43 PM   
twinsfan

According to multiple sources who spoke with Dodgers Nation on Friday, the two-way superstar has ended the suspense of the most lucrative free-agent pursuit in baseball history. A formal announcement is expected as early as tonight.

The exact value of Ohtani’s contract isn’t known, but it is expected to shatter the value of Mike Trout’s record 12-year, $426.5 million deal with the Angels.

Blue Jays executives have been encouraged throughout the negotiating process with the two-way superstar, privately counting their chances as good as any team’s up until three finalists remained: themselves, the Dodgers, and the Angels.

The news comes as a major disappointment for the Dodgers, who made Ohtani the focal point of their off-season plans. They met with Ohtani in person last Friday in Los Angeles, before Ohtani held his final meeting with the Blue Jays.

It is not believed that manager Dave Roberts’ public confirmation of the meeting had any role in persuading Ohtani to choose Toronto.

The Jays are owned by Rogers Communications, a multimedia conglomerate valued at $24 billion. They are a leading provider of cable and internet north of the border, owning television stations and radio stations across the country – as well as the Blue Jays and NHL’s Toronto Maple Leafs. A half-billion dollar (or more) investment in the game’s greatest talent is relatively small for Rogers CEO Tony Staffieri, who has been intimately involved in the process, according to a source.

Key to Rogers’ pitch was something no other team could offer: the ability to command the attention of an entire country. The Blue Jays have been Canada’s only major league team since the Montreal Expos relocated to Washington, D.C. before the 2005 season.

Still, most within the industry saw the Dodgers as the front-runner to sign Ohtani, who played his first six seasons in Anaheim and seriously considered re-signing with the Angels. The Dodgers and Angels have issued lucrative contracts to star free agents before. The largest contract the Blue Jays previously issued was their six-year, $150 million deal with outfielder George Springer in 2021.

According to one source, Rogers is viewing the Ohtani signing as a corporate investment whose value transcends his impact on the field, with Staffieri willing to pay for the added international exposure Ohtani brings to his assets. Ohtani tripled the value of his off-the-field endorsement contracts from 2021 to 2022, according to Forbes, making him baseball’s most marketable player.

For the Dodgers, Ohtani’s choice means they must pivot to Plan B. They were already expected to focus on starting pitching, counting Japanese star Yoshinobu Yamamoto among their top free agent targets. The Dodgers have reportedly been targeting starting pitchers, including Dylan Cease, in trade talks as well.

Now, they must figure out how to fill the DH void left by free agent J.D. Martinez without Ohtani – perhaps by reuniting with Martinez for the 2024 season.

https://dodgersnation.com/shohei-ohtani-to-sign-with-toronto-blue-jays-over-los-angeles-dodgers-sources/2023/12/08/

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 142
RE: Twins off-season - 12/8/2023 1:58:12 PM   
twinsfan

https://www.si.com/mlb/dodgers/news/shohei-ohtani-reportedly-chooses-toronto-blue-jays-dodgers-miss-out-on-two-way-superstar-ks1994

The Ohtani sweepstakes have reportedly ended after one of the longest waiting periods. Unfortunately, it did not turn out well for your Los Angeles Dodgers.

The Los Angeles Dodgers have missed out on a huge free agent signing, as Shohei Ohtani has reportedly chosen to sign with with the Toronto Blue Jays, per J.P. Hoornstra of Dodgers Nation.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 143
RE: Twins off-season - 12/9/2023 9:43:56 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

The TWINS off season could hardly be more pathetic.

It's just getting started. Let's give it time to let it really suck

It already sucks even more. Pagan gone.

RU serious about Pagan?

Yep.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 144
RE: Twins off-season - 12/9/2023 9:44:34 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

The TWINS off season could hardly be more pathetic.

It's just getting started. Let's give it time to let it really suck

It already sucks even more. Pagan gone.

RU serious about Pagan?

Dude had a rough April/May, but was really good after that.

He was quite dominant the 2nd half of the year. Gave up 14 hits and 9 runs in 122 PAs. 1.91 ERA, .135 BA, .214 OBP.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 145
RE: Twins off-season - 12/9/2023 11:02:12 AM   
twinsfan

I should probably get some credit for calling Ohtani to Toronto on November 22.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 146
RE: Twins off-season - 12/9/2023 2:26:41 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

You and about 100 outlets at the same time.

Post #: 147
RE: Twins off-season - 12/9/2023 5:19:01 PM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

quote:

You and about 100 outlets at the same time.

He may want to do a little editing there.
Post #: 148
RE: Twins off-season - 12/9/2023 8:42:30 PM   
David Levine

quote:

This didn’t age well…
Post #: 149
RE: Twins off-season - 12/10/2023 8:51:34 AM   
TJSweens

Apparently the deal is structured like the infamous Bobby Bonilla contract. The Dodgers will be paying a big chunk of deferred money over many years. This of course means they can fit other big contracts below the luxury tax.

This sucks. These contracts are so bad for baseball. MLB needs a salary cap and revenue sharing in the worst way.

Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Twins off-season Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode