Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: 2024 Free Agency

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2024 Free Agency Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/12/2024 12:16:09 PM   
David Levine

Insider Grades:

Vikings add DE Jonathan Greenard to boost pass rush
The deal: Four years, $72 million with $42 million guaranteed
Grade: A

The Vikings are (presumably) letting Danielle Hunter walk out the door, but in Greenard they are replacing him with another very good pass-rusher -- and at a good price, too.

Greenard is a metrics darling, recording a 22% pass rush win rate that ranked sixth among edge rushers last season, ahead of stars such as Haason Reddick, Brian Burns and Trey Hendrickson. And he's a solid run defender, too, with a 37% run stop win rate at edge that would have led the position had he played enough to qualify. (That he played a little less on early downs and didn't qualify is perhaps a sign he wasn't as strong as the figure implies, but Greenard was consistently above average in the metric in both 2021 and 2022.)

Oh, and did I bury the lede? Greenard brings more than under-the-hood production, as he had 12.5 sacks too. And he did it on only 345 pass rushes. Among players with at least 200 pass rushes, Greenard ranked fourth in sack rate (3.6%).

This is not a move without risk. Greenard has struggled to stay on the field at times -- he played 12, eight and 15 games per year in 2021, 2022 and 2023, respectively. The Vikings are buying the breakout, as Greenard's pass rush win rates were solid in the past but not on the level of his 2023 play. He did have eight sacks in 2021, though.

But the $18 million APY price tag is not that of a superstar edge rusher. After adjusting for cap inflation, that makes this deal in the same realm as Alex Highsmith's extension with the Steelers last year or Matthew Judon's contract with the Patriots in 2021, per OverTheCap. And it pales in comparison to top-of-the-market deals like Olivier Vernon's free agent deal with the Giants in 2016 ($28 million in today's dollars) or Montez Sweat's extension with the Bears ($27 million), let alone T.J. Watt's deal ($39 million).

While there's risk in buying high, to me this is a gamble easily worth making. This isn't just a single year of sack production. All the signs are there of Greenard being a very high-level edge player. Those don't come around on the free agent market at age 26 often. -- Walder

What this means for the 2024 draft: Looking at the Vikings' roster before free agency, the expectation was that if the team didn't re-sign Hunter, selecting a pass-rusher was in play early in the draft, potentially at No. 11 overall. With Greenard signed, pass-rusher can now move down the team's list of needs. The focus in Minnesota now is all on quarterback. -- Miller

------------

Vikings keep building defense with Andrew Van Ginkel
The deal: Two years, $20 million with $14 million guaranteed
Grade: B

The Vikings continue to add to the pass rush. After signing pass-rusher Jonathan Greenard to a four-year, $72 million deal, they added a versatile pass-rusher in outside linebacker Van Ginkel. A Rock Valley, Iowa, native who played his college football at Wisconsin, Van Ginkel heads back to the Midwest on a deal that pays him well at 28 years old. The 2023 season was his best yet, with six sacks in 11 starts; he worked primarily as a rotational player in previous seasons. He also had one interception -- which he returned for a touchdown -- and six pass breakups.

The Vikings were tied for 19th in sacks last season (43) and entered the offseason with four defensive ends set to hit free agency. Even after signing Greenard, more of a presence was needed coming off the edge of the line. Van Ginkel has familiarity with current Vikings defensive coordinator Brian Flores from their time together in Miami, and now he has a pay day that's worthy of a top-three pass-rusher and likely starter in Minnesota.

This is a low-risk signing for the Vikings and allows the team to cross off a priority need without exhausting draft capital to do so. And that has become much more important with Kirk Cousins signing in Atlanta earlier Monday -- Minnesota will likely have to use a high pick on a quarterback, or package picks to move up in the draft to select one. -- Miller

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/insider/story/_/id/39633029/2024-nfl-free-agency-grades-signings-trades-latest-best-worst-deals-draft-outlook
Post #: 126
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/12/2024 1:40:14 PM   
David Levine

Aaron Jones after returning from injury in week 15:

638 rushing yards (1st in the NFL)
29 missed tackles forced (1st)
5.5 yards per carry (1st)
Post #: 127
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/12/2024 2:10:00 PM   
Chris Olson

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

Dude played like he was on a mission...

I think it carries over to next year...

and 7 mil is chump change for how productive I think he'll be

took a load off needing to find a starter quality RB, too
Post #: 128
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/12/2024 2:11:52 PM   
Chris Olson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

$17 million for Darnold and Jones... down the drain.

Jones could be Earl Campbell in his prime, but he's not going anywhere behind this shambles of an IOL. Not going to be hoodwinked again with Kwesi throwing $ at a RB.

Darnold's claim to fame is he beat out Trey Lance for the SF backup spot. There were/are cheaper bridge QBs out there.

Interesting you feel that way, Bill, because I felt like we got good deals on both of those players
Post #: 129
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/12/2024 2:14:42 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris Olson

quote:

Dude played like he was on a mission...

I think it carries over to next year...

and 7 mil is chump change for how productive I think he'll be

took a load off needing to find a starter quality RB, too

Filled a hole relatively cheaply.

Plus he's pretty damn good in the passing game too.

More weapons.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 130
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/12/2024 4:04:49 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

Jones could be Earl Campbell in his prime, but he's not going anywhere behind this shambles of an IOL. Not going to be hoodwinked again with Kwesi throwing $ at a RB.

Darnold's claim to fame is he beat out Trey Lance for the SF backup spot. There were/are cheaper bridge QBs out there.

Interesting you feel that way, Bill, because I felt like we got good deals on both of those players

We got younger and higher rankings for everything we picked except Wonnum.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 131
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/12/2024 4:10:20 PM   
Phil Riewer

Free-agent WR Brandon Powell is returning to the Vikings on a one-year deal, per source.

Post #: 132
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/12/2024 4:11:11 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

Darnold is ranked higher than Cousins?
Post #: 133
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/12/2024 4:14:12 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Not QB of course. I am talking defense.

Post #: 134
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/12/2024 4:19:27 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

We’re definitely drafting a QB.

Yes we are and likely in the first round.

And I think we are trading up...

hopefully to #2 before the draft

You want us to give up 3 first round picks plus? That's what it will cost. I think Washington is locked in on Daniels and probably wouldn't even trade the pick for 4 first round picks.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 135
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/12/2024 4:20:59 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

Who's the injury prone RB the Vikings will sign ?

Does Aaron Jones work for that category?

I always wanted to hate him, to call him overrated, simply because he was a Packer, but that guy proved me wrong at every turn

he is aging, I suppose, but he showed how valuable he was last year as the Puke made their playoff run

He was great. I hear we got him. Haven't seen the contract yet so I don't know if it was a good deal until I do. I'm OK with up to $6 million per and 2 years 2nd not guaranteed.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 136
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/12/2024 4:21:38 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

Ha, it is being reported that Aaron Jones is signing with us...lmao!

Dude wants revenge!

1 yr/$7 mil

1 year $7 million. I can live with that.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 137
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/12/2024 4:24:19 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ah. Since you responded to a comment about Darnold and Jones...

< Message edited by David Levine -- 3/12/2024 4:25:29 PM >
Post #: 138
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/12/2024 4:49:42 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Greenard is "ranked" higher than Hunter?
Post #: 139
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/12/2024 4:55:17 PM   
Bill Johanesen

IOW "we got higher rankings" (whatever that is) for everyone except Cousins, Hunter, and Wonnum. Jones was an addition.

Guess that means Cashman > Hicks. Debatable, but oh boy!
Post #: 140
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/12/2024 4:59:13 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

Looking at it from the aspect of $17 million for a couple of rentals to maintain mediocrity. They certainly don't move the needle, although Jones was/is pretty good.

They are not part of any strategy beyond 2024. Would like to see say $10 million rolled over this year then $20 million the following year to use in 2026. Ideally around the time the rookie QB has hit his stride.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 3/12/2024 5:23:49 PM >
Post #: 141
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/12/2024 5:31:33 PM   
Dave Odle

Aaron Jones was a fantastic pickup. Immediate upgrade over Mattison. Darnold is debatable. I think it's solid, though.

Try using hindsight in the present.
Post #: 142
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/12/2024 5:47:21 PM   
Chris Olson

wow Hunter only gets a 2 yr 49 mil deal...

expected more for him, though he gets to re-do the FA deal again in 2 years, which could be big if he stays productive
Post #: 143
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/12/2024 5:47:22 PM   
David Levine

Josina Anderson:
Danielle Hunter agrees with the Texans on a 2-year deal worth $49M base, per source. I’m told $48M of the $49M mentioned below is guaranteed at signing on Danielle Hunter’s deal with HOU.
Post #: 144
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/12/2024 6:13:42 PM   
joejitsu

Ahhhh! We still need a big run stuffer at dtackle and two iol’s at center and guard.
Post #: 145
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/12/2024 7:01:17 PM   
stfrank

Finally we look to be clearing huge contracts and dead money that have been holding back this team for years. We may suck for a season or 2 but at least most of our cap space won't be wasted on guys no longer with the team. I'm not sold on our drafting ability, but at least we now have a chance to build a good team without having 50% of our money going to a few players.
Post #: 146
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/12/2024 7:26:45 PM   
Dave Odle

quote:

ORIGINAL: stfrank

Finally we look to be clearing huge contracts and dead money that have been holding back this team for years. We may suck for a season or 2 but at least most of our cap space won't be wasted on guys no longer with the team. I'm not sold on our drafting ability, but at least we now have a chance to build a good team without having 50% of our money going to a few players.

Exactly.

Try using hindsight in the present.
Post #: 147
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/12/2024 7:33:42 PM   
marty

Should have signed Jones for 2 years, or extend him mid season this coming season.

It's good to take a bite out of the Packers. Now injuries to Kenny Clarkband Gary, and the Packers won't make the playoffs.

It's too bad the Vikings can't find a Kenny Clark like player at DT.

< Message edited by marty -- 3/12/2024 9:57:07 PM >

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 148
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/12/2024 8:55:19 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Powell is a really great signing IMO. He has a role in this offense and is reliable
Post #: 149
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/13/2024 4:36:47 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

Should have signed Jones for 2 years, or extend him mid season this coming season.

It's good to take a bite out of the Packers. Now injuries to Kenny Clarkband Gary, and the Packers won't make the playoffs.

It's too bad the Vikings can't find a Kenny Clark like player at DT.

Which of CB IDL and IOL is strongest in the draft?

Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2024 Free Agency Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode