Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: 2024 Free Agency

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2024 Free Agency Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/13/2024 9:25:50 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

Should have signed Jones for 2 years, or extend him mid season this coming season.

It's good to take a bite out of the Packers. Now injuries to Kenny Clarkband Gary, and the Packers won't make the playoffs.

It's too bad the Vikings can't find a Kenny Clark like player at DT.

Which of CB IDL and IOL is strongest in the draft?

I would say IDL,CB IOL that order.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 151
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/13/2024 9:37:59 AM   
Jeff Jesser

Assuming we keep the 42nd, take UT DL Sweat as the big guy to clog up the middle. It'll go a long way in this D.
Post #: 152
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/13/2024 10:06:49 AM   
bstinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: stfrank

Finally we look to be clearing huge contracts and dead money that have been holding back this team for years. We may suck for a season or 2 but at least most of our cap space won't be wasted on guys no longer with the team. I'm not sold on our drafting ability, but at least we now have a chance to build a good team without having 50% of our money going to a few players.

Good to be clearing the books, about time. I hope we don't go overboard on JJ, if he's being unreasonable, trade him. I'm OK with a suck season in 2024 to get close to the top pick in 2025, drafting 10-25 most of the time sucks. I have my doubts on the draft as well. Nailing a couple of drafts with good capital can turn around a team in a hurry.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 153
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/13/2024 10:19:13 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

Finally we look to be clearing huge contracts and dead money that have been holding back this team for years. We may suck for a season or 2 but at least most of our cap space won't be wasted on guys no longer with the team. I'm not sold on our drafting ability, but at least we now have a chance to build a good team without having 50% of our money going to a few players.

Yep. Sort of step 1 of the rebuild. A year late but better than never happening.
Post #: 154
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/13/2024 10:23:49 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

quote:

Good to be clearing the books, about time. I hope we don't go overboard on JJ, if he's being unreasonable, trade him. I'm OK with a suck season in 2024 to get close to the top pick in 2025, drafting 10-25 most of the time sucks. I have my doubts on the draft as well. Nailing a couple of drafts with good capital can turn around a team in a hurry.

What's unreasonable? IMO he will have a no-trade clause, 80% of his contract guaranteed, and an AAV of at least (?) $32 million over 5 years.
Post #: 155
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/13/2024 10:33:20 AM   
Bill Johanesen

Still wondering about Smith. Speculation time. As a minimum the team wants a hefty salary cut. Over the last two seasons it sometimes looked like he had already mailed it in. Maybe his decreased athleticism made it look like that. He'd play for another big salary year but otherwise will believe it's not worth it. He knows there are a lot of FA safeties out there, and knows he is well removed from being among the best of them. So because he won't take a pay cut, he retires in lieu of being cut.
Post #: 156
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/13/2024 1:34:00 PM   
bstinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

quote:

What's unreasonable? IMO he will have a no-trade clause, 80% of his contract guaranteed, and an AAV of at least (?) $32 million over 5 years.

That's probably more than I'd be willing to pay him. Depends on what trade offers I get too, I'm not giving him away either.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 157
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/13/2024 5:06:04 PM   
joejitsu

We still need two d tackles, a starter quality center, a guard, and at least one good cb. Not to mention a qb. I don’t know how we can address all those needs right now, though.
Post #: 158
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/13/2024 5:13:18 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: joejitsu

We still need two d tackles, a starter quality center, a guard, and at least one good cb. Not to mention a qb. I don’t know how we can address all those needs right now, though.

No team has it all. Neither will we.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 159
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/13/2024 5:26:58 PM   
Dave Odle

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

No team has it all. Neither will we.

That is also wise to keep in mind. No team has their dream team. Yes, key positions are vital to have covered going in, but they all end up being crucial in their own certain ways. Nobody cares about kickers until it matters in a do or die situation. Nobody cares about interior offensive line positions until your running game is continually denied up the middle.

QB, LT, C, RB, and a legit downfield threat in a WR begin the conversation on offense.

On defense (of course depending on whether a 3-4 or 4-3), a formidable DT, CB, and athletic LB.

But nobody can afford to break the bank at every position. So depending on your coaching, schemes, and talent, which ones deserve what? It's obviously QB or bust now and I'm excited at the possibility.

Try using hindsight in the present.
Post #: 160
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/13/2024 5:28:02 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

quote:

Honestly, you can’t..

You have to give up the “ be competitive now, make the playoffs with a prayer” mentality that has been this franchise MO for at least a decade..

Free up more cap.

Kick those ancient bloated contract, fan favorites to the curb..

Shoot for a better future and quit looking in tha past.

Bite those bullets and put the onus on KAM, and KOC, to do their FN jobs, and build a real team.

The draft is not a toy to play “ I’m a trader and I am smarter than 31 other teams.”

We have easily identified needs and coaches in place who are supposed to know how they want to build their specialties..

The draft room is supposed to be a team oriented effort to get the best players available for obvious needs..

OL is a serious need.

iDL is an obvious need..

QB is by any measure, the top need..

CB is a need..

What we don’t need is the standard.. let’s pick ANOTHER WR, because.. you know.. DeRp..

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 161
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/13/2024 5:34:41 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

quote:

Honestly, you can’t..

You have to give up the “ be competitive now, make the playoffs with a prayer” mentality that has been this franchise MO for at least a decade..

Free up more cap.

Kick those ancient bloated contract, fan favorites to the curb..

Shoot for a better future and quit looking in tha past.

Bite those bullets and put the onus on KAM, and KOC, to do their FN jobs, and build a real team.

The draft is not a toy to play “ I’m a trader and I am smarter than 31 other teams.”

We have easily identified needs and coaches in place who are supposed to know how they want to build their specialties..

The draft room is supposed to be a team oriented effort to get the best players available for obvious needs..

OL is a serious need.

iDL is an obvious need..

QB is by any measure, the top need..

CB is a need..

What we don’t need is the standard.. let’s pick ANOTHER WR, because.. you know.. DeRp..

There are more cuts and cap saving coming. Restructure/cut of Smith and Bradbury. Resigning Darrisaw and JJ.
Wouldn’t surprise me that we address DT or CB this week. They wanted Wilkins

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 3/13/2024 5:35:54 PM >

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 162
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/13/2024 5:51:50 PM   
joejitsu

All good points, guys. I just wish that the powers that be would recognize what all of us on this board know.
Post #: 163
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/13/2024 10:03:30 PM   
Jeff Jesser

I think you patch what you can with the stuff coming but don't be stupid. Next year is going to be the year to start to go for it. In fact, long term, it would be better if we stunk this year but we're too talented for that to happen. We're going to have a huge cap kitty next year to use.

My biggest fear is basically what happened to KAM in his first draft. I've heard several reports that he made those D picks based on what Donatell was advising him for his style. A total flop for sure but now he's doing the same with Flores' input. Which, btw, is smart because he actually knows what they hell he's doing. The fear comes in "what if Flores leaves?".

KAM better have learned a lesson and they have a succession plan in place if Flores gets a HC so that all these FA's and picks make sense in the new guys system.
Post #: 164
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/14/2024 7:15:36 AM   
Murph

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

I think you patch what you can with the stuff coming but don't be stupid. Next year is going to be the year to start to go for it. In fact, long term, it would be better if we stunk this year but we're too talented for that to happen. We're going to have a huge cap kitty next year to use.

My biggest fear is basically what happened to KAM in his first draft. I've heard several reports that he made those D picks based on what Donatell was advising him for his style. A total flop for sure but now he's doing the same with Flores' input. Which, btw, is smart because he actually knows what they hell he's doing. The fear comes in "what if Flores leaves?".

KAM better have learned a lesson and they have a succession plan in place if Flores gets a HC so that all these FA's and picks make sense in the new guys system.

This is how I'm thinking too Jeff.

If we nail the QB in the draft and spend wisely, we'll be ready for a run in two seasons with a few breaks.

Hey Wilf's, let's build a "Perennial Super Bowl contender" not a "perennial playoff contender".
Post #: 165
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/14/2024 8:50:45 AM   
DavidAOlson

I probably missed the discussion about Cousins admitting he had contact with the Atlanta trainer, during the period when that was verboten. Tampering...

I'm looking forward to picking up a third round pick from Atlanta (historical penalty). But since it was such a big signing, maybe a second or even a first.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/kirk-cousins-admits-to-direct-communications-with-falcons-during-negotiating-period

I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it. --- Alice
Post #: 166
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/14/2024 10:45:50 AM   
Bill Johanesen

This is a long term rebuild, in part because Qweasy dragged it out. But we're finally past the Spielman contracts. It's going to take a couple of years to fill all the holes.... and that assumes Kwesi hits on the draft this year (especially the QB), hits on the draft next year, this year's FAs pan out, next year's FAs pan out, etc.

That is a lot to ask for even a good GM.

We go 8-9, pick #15 next year. If the results of the acquisitions are average then we stay buried in mediocrity.
Post #: 167
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/14/2024 10:50:19 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: DavidAOlson

I probably missed the discussion about Cousins admitting he had contact with the Atlanta trainer, during the period when that was verboten. Tampering...

I'm looking forward to picking up a third round pick from Atlanta (historical penalty). But since it was such a big signing, maybe a second or even a first.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/kirk-cousins-admits-to-direct-communications-with-falcons-during-negotiating-period

I thought teams simply forfeit the pick(s).
Post #: 168
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/14/2024 10:53:36 AM   
David Levine

quote:

The pick was forfeited as a penalty. It wasn't transferred to the player's old team..
Post #: 169
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/14/2024 11:30:29 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

Yep. Sort of step 1 of the rebuild. A year late but better than never happening.

Step 1 happened last year with Thielen and Kendricks.

Post #: 170
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/14/2024 11:31:13 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

The pick was forfeited as a penalty. It wasn't transferred to the player's old team..

Tom Pelissero
@TomPelissero
·
6m
The NFL is looking into potential tampering by the #Eagles and #Falcons prior to the start of free agency, as is standard in such matters, per league source.
Tom Pelissero
@TomPelissero
·
41s
Specifically, the review is of the #Eagles' pursuit of Saquon Barkley and the #Falcons' pursuit of Kirk Cousins, based upon recent public comments related to each matter.

Post #: 171
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/14/2024 11:32:29 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

I meant that multi-year phase (getting rid of the deadwood) is basically concluded.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 3/14/2024 12:06:26 PM >
Post #: 172
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/14/2024 11:45:05 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I meant that multi-year phase is basically concluded.

Teams can rebuild a team in a year if done correctly and tanking isn't ever the solution. This became a 3 year purge of bad contracts because of the stupidity of Rick.

Post #: 173
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/14/2024 12:05:34 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Teams can rebuild a team in a year if done correctly and tanking isn't ever the solution. This became a 3 year purge of bad contracts because of the stupidity of Rick.

What's your point? What team has rebuilt in a year? KC with their OL and having Mahomes? And you don't know whether tanking isn't ever the solution. We'll see how the Bears do.

But who cares with that speculation. THIS rebuild is a multi-year effort. It's already in year three and barring a miracle it will be a couple more years before the gaps can be adequately addressed. Not just addressed... adequately addressed.
Post #: 174
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/14/2024 12:20:57 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

What's your point? What team has rebuilt in a year? KC with their OL and having Mahomes? And you don't know whether tanking isn't ever the solution. We'll see how the Bears do.

But who cares with that speculation. THIS rebuild is a multi-year effort. It's already in year three and barring a miracle it will be a couple more years before the gaps can be adequately addressed. Not just addressed... adequately addressed.

They aren't tanking is the point and no it isn't a multi-year effort. The defense and offense are both top half just like last year and the year before. Injuries derailed 2023 not a tank or rebuild.

Cook, Thielen, and Kendricks were replaced and their replacements actually did as well.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 3/14/2024 12:23:59 PM >

Post #: 175
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2024 Free Agency Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode