Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Other Former Vikings

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Former Vikings >> RE: Other Former Vikings Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Other Former Vikings - 10/30/2009 1:51:34 AM   
So.Mn.Fan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lynn G.

Another former Viking in a tough medical situation:

quote:

Ex-Viking's dying wish: Return home one last time

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/67216817.html?elr=KArksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUnciaec8O7EyUsl

My most distinct memory of Earsell Mackbee is of the comically awful job he did in tv ads. He was SO bad reading the cue cards (pre-teleprompter days) that he couldn't even read his own name without the help:

"My name is Earsell ...

(eyes move to the next line on the cue cards)

... Mackbee."

I hope he is able to get home again.

We're suddenly losing a lot of old Vikings.
I'm old enough to remember all these guys.
This Viking franchise has had some good players and some good people, and I'm glad the Minnesota media is still paying attention to them.
Post #: 26
RE: Other Former Vikings - 10/30/2009 8:05:11 AM   
Tim Cady

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lynn G.

Tim,

Orlando Thomas has been suffering from Lou Gehrig's disease for a number of years and, according to reports, is in very bad shape. Yesterday there was an erroneous report that he had died, but it was corrected later. He has not died, but continues to be in the advanced stages of ALS.

According to the guy on Vikings.com who first reported his death - they had gotten their information from Thomas' alma mater. It's unclear how HE got it wrong, and it was an embarrassing mistake.

Man, how did I miss that? I think I remember the ALS Diagnosis, now that you mention it. I was just so busy yesterday and I had about 5 minutes to check out this site and got interupted again. Thanks for taking the time. That is truly sad.
Post #: 27
RE: Other Former Vikings - 11/1/2009 10:16:46 AM   
MarkWren

From the days of Kassulke, Hackbart, et. al. Sad news about Mr. Mackbee. He's evidently made it back home, having put up one hell of a fight. Good work, Earsell, family, & friends. The guy gave us many good memories, and will be missed.
Post #: 28
[Deleted] - 7/28/2011 4:27:58 AM   
Deleted User
[Deleted by Admins]
  Post #: 29
RE: [Deleted] - 8/10/2011 6:21:36 AM   
SoMnFan

Went to a coaches clinic yesterday, looking forward to listening to keynote speaker ... Todd Bouman.
Emcee informed us that Todd had just recieved a call from Jacksonville to back up for another year.
So he was on a plane bound for Florida, instead.
Todds 39 now and has made a ton of money carrying clipboards. He's parlayed some talent into one hell of a lucrative career. Good on him. Good dude.

The Jaguars signed the 39-year-old Bouman, making this his seventh stint with the franchise in the past five years. In 2010, Bouman was literally sitting on a tractor helping his father harvest corn in Minnesota when the Jaguars called.
"We actually made a call to the tractor again and Todd will be joining us this evening," Del Rio said. "Pulled him off the tractor once again. He's a great guy and we think he's a good veteran player. He'll be able to come in and pick up and help us preform throughout the preseason and we'll see from there."
Bouman had just finished raking hay when the Jaguars called Monday. He has been working out with a high school football team his brother coaches.
"For me, it hasn't changed," Bouman said. "Just come in and play, do whatever's asked and do the best job you can and whatever happens happens. I'm 39 years old and I get to play a kid's game. What else could you want?"

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 30
RE: [Deleted] - 8/10/2011 5:51:35 PM   
i'd like just one of his game checks... for as much effort as he puts into earning them...

I am collecting for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society in memory of my fiance who passed away on 9/9/2006. If anyone would like to donate just go to http://pages.lightthenight.org/mn/TwinCiti09/SMiller Any and all donations will be greatly appreciated.
  Post #: 31
RE: Other Former Vikings - 11/19/2011 1:40:51 AM   
DM613

how can you just be discovering what about him? They chose to ignore it. Heck, Fox did a special report on it while Moss was still "good". Then he went wrong, but now it is on the Pats ... So it is good again.

Runescape GoldTera GoldBuy Cheap RS Gold
Post #: 32
RE: Other Former Vikings - 11/19/2011 1:50:42 AM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: DM613

how can you just be discovering what about him? They chose to ignore it. Heck, Fox did a special report on it while Moss was still "good". Then he went wrong, but now it is on the Pats ... So it is good again.

Stream of consciousness?
Post #: 33
RE: Other Former Vikings - 11/19/2011 1:57:48 AM   
DM613

There was a good interview with him this summer that showed a positive attitude despite Lou Gehrig's disease. The good news is that many of his former colleagues have spent much time with him in the months and years. They seem a very united group.

Runescape GoldTera GoldBuy Cheap RS Gold
Post #: 34
RE: Other Former Vikings - 11/19/2011 8:34:28 AM   
Lynn G.

Appears to be another spammer.
Post #: 35
RE: Other Former Vikings - 11/19/2011 8:38:20 AM   
do you think the "links" in his signature , give him away as a spammer?

I am collecting for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society in memory of my fiance who passed away on 9/9/2006. If anyone would like to donate just go to http://pages.lightthenight.org/mn/TwinCiti09/SMiller Any and all donations will be greatly appreciated.
  Post #: 36
RE: Other Former Vikings - 11/19/2011 12:35:44 PM   
Lynn G.

That was the clue.
Post #: 37
RE: Other Former Vikings - 11/19/2011 6:38:44 PM   
thebigo

Don't spammers usually spam something?
Post #: 38
RE: Other Former Vikings - 11/19/2011 8:54:28 PM   
Lynn G.

His post wasn't deleted because he didn't actually spam in that. But the advertisements in his signature put him on the radar.
Post #: 39
RE: Other Former Vikings - 11/26/2011 10:27:52 PM   
Lynn G.

Joe Kapp, 70 something years old, got into a fist fighting brawl today with some dude that was his nemesis on the field 50 years ago. The other guy swung his cane at Kapp.

Hysterical. They've been holding a grudge for 50 years!!! This all happened at an alumni gathering for the Grey Cup.
Post #: 40
RE: Other Former Vikings - 11/27/2011 11:34:53 AM   
SoMnFan

Love that Lynn. One of my favorite players of all time. Characters, I should say.
My first memory of being a Viking fan was him running over the Cleveland linebacker for our first NFL title.
THOSE were glory days. My entire family was gathered around a small little TV and I can still hear the house exploding with joy.
(I'd say we were high-fiving ... but that was longggggg before that was even invented)

Every kid my age wanted to be tough and ornery and a leader, like old slingin Joe.
Legend.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 41
RE: Other Former Vikings - 5/1/2012 12:49:41 PM   
Lynn G.

I'm not sure I understand how this scam was supposed to work, but what a bunch of idiots:
quote:

Ex-Vikings star running back Bennett jailed in ID theft scheme

Article by: PAUL WALSH , Star Tribune Updated: May 1, 2012 - 12:20 PM

Former Minnesota Viking star running back Michael Bennett is scheduled to appear Tuesday afternoon in federal court in Miami on a charge alleging that he schemed with two other ex-NFLers to swipe identities and file false tax returns, federal authorities said Tuesday.

Bennett, 33, a first-round draft choice out of Wisconsin in 2001 who played five seasons for the Vikings, is suspected of wire fraud.

The others implicated are former defensive linemen William Joseph, a first-round draft choice by the New York Giants in 2003, and Louis Gachelin, who broke into the NFL with the New England Patriots in 2004.

Gachelin is charged with identity theft, while Joseph is charged with fraud and theft of government property. They are both natives of south Florida, while Bennett is from Wisconsin.

The FBI, which arrested the men, said it would reveal more details about the scheme later Tuesday.

Bennett's best of five seasons with the Vikings was 2002, when he rushed for 1,296 yards. He went on to play for Kansas City, Tampa Bay, San Diego and Oakland.

Bennett and Joseph were teammates with the Raiders in 2010, the last year that both men played.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 42
RE: Other Former Vikings - 5/1/2012 7:20:55 PM   
Jeff Jesser

but what a bunch of idiots:

No doubt. Calling Bennett a "star RB"

But perhaps, I missed your point?
Post #: 43
RE: Other Former Vikings - 5/1/2012 7:22:28 PM   
Lynn G.

Well that too.

I'm preferring to just think of him as a former Wisconsin Badger, and then it all makes sense.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 44
RE: Other Former Vikings - 5/1/2012 8:04:13 PM   
SoMnFan

Still my long-lost bro, Jeff
I can't get past that either ... I've seen the story on a bunch of diff outlets, and the whole "Star Viking Running Back" throws me every time.
I keep worrying its a "real" star that we've had.
Thankfully, nope.   

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 45
RE: Other Former Vikings - 2/11/2013 10:22:13 PM   
TheGonz

Ray Edwards won his latest. . .ahem. . .boxing match the other day.

The video is amazing.

Seriously, I haven't seen a man take a dive like that since Greg Lougainis.

The question is not "Who will let me?" Rather, the question is "Who will stop me?"
Post #: 46
RE: Other Former Vikings - 2/12/2013 7:39:53 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheGonz

Ray Edwards won his latest. . .ahem. . .boxing match the other day.

The video is amazing.

Seriously, I haven't seen a man take a dive like that since Greg Lougainis.

I haven't seen a light breeze knock a guy out since my days watching the WWE.

That's hilarious.

Boxing is dying.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 47
RE: Other Former Vikings - 11/22/2013 12:54:08 PM   
David F.

The guy is still funny, you can't take that away from him.

Chris Kluwe ‏@ChrisWarcraft 27m
That previous tweet should've said "stay focused," but autocarrot does what it wants.

Chris Kluwe ‏@ChrisWarcraft 28m
I told her to say focused. #sofocused

Chris Kluwe ‏@ChrisWarcraft 29m
Time to watch the older daughter perform in her kindergarten school play. She has one line. Apparently, she's in charge of saying " Shhhh".

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 48
RE: Other Former Vikings - 3/4/2015 3:53:28 PM   
David F.

My favorite (and only) Matt Cassel story:

We took the elevator down to the parking ramp under the Hilton to head out to Matt's Bar. This is 2013. The four of us just get out of the elevator and here comes Matt Cassel but at the moment none of us could think of who it was (he was new to the team). So we give him a 'hey how's it going' and he stops and gets ready for autograph requests or questions or whatever but for the life of us none of us can come up with his name. As a rule we never give the dumb question 'Uh, are you a Viking player?' My seat-mate is incredibly good at identifying these guys and trust me it's not always easy. There's about five seconds of awkward silence and then he just heads into the elevator with a look on his face like he's glad we didn't bother him.

Just as the elevator door is about to shut my seat-mate looks back and yells 'Matt Cassel!' an Matt just gave a smile and a wave as the door shut.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 49
RE: Other Former Vikings - 3/5/2015 8:15:13 AM   
Duane Sampson

Not a Viking, but that reminds me of the time in High School when I met Ken Anderson, Bengals. He actually sat down across from me at Hungry Hobo sub shop and I had no idea who he was. Then he asked me how I liked my sandwich. He said he was the owner. Then he told me who he was, I instantly knew then. He bought my lunch and told me stop in again, he appreciated my business.

You are right, it's not always easy to recognize players.
Post #: 50
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Former Vikings >> RE: Other Former Vikings Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode