Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) Page: <<   < prev  183 184 [185] 186 187   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 11/18/2014 3:52:33 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jim Frenette

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

quote:

FYI, tonight's game is on ESPN3 on the computer and also on Watch ESPN app on iPad and phone

Why the burning anger?

Who wants to watch a sporting event on a computer monitor or phone?

I just plug my laptop into an HDMI port on my TV and watch it that way.
Post #: 4601
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 11/18/2014 4:02:14 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

FYI, tonight's game is on ESPN3 on the computer and also on Watch ESPN app on iPad and phone

Why the burning anger?

Wouldn't it be fuzzy on a big screen?

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 4602
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 11/18/2014 4:10:47 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Why the burning anger?

Wouldn't it be fuzzy on a big screen?

Nope. Its an HD stream and computer monitors have much higher resolution than TVs (unless you buy a fancy 4K TV). It looks great on my 70" Samsung.
Post #: 4603
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 11/18/2014 4:14:10 PM   
twinsfan

Oooooh. 70 inch. Take that, stinger!

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 4604
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 11/18/2014 7:48:42 PM   
Mr. Ed

46-28, forced 16 turnovers. Matthieu all over the court in the first half.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 4605
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 11/18/2014 7:55:04 PM   
Lynn G.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Why the burning anger?

We're watching it on tv via Roku.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 4606
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 11/18/2014 7:56:29 PM   
bstinger

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Why the burning anger?

#1 I didn't think I could get ESPN3. I didn't see my Internet Provider on the list, but I just looked again and found them, so I guess I could watch
#2 I have a 60" TV for sports so I don't have to watch my 17" laptop or worse yet my iphone.

Be warned. I tried watching ESPN3 one time, and even though I entered all my cable info, it didn't work right. I think there's also a confusing username setup process. Good luck.

Apparently, eventhough I'm an internet customer with one of the providers, since I'm not doing TV with them I can't get it. DirectTV hasn't negotiated the package with ESPN3, so I'm screwed for tonight. I renew my

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 4607
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 11/18/2014 7:58:17 PM   
bstinger

quote:

Oooooh. 70 inch. Take that, stinger!

He's clearly overcompensating for something.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 4608
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 11/18/2014 7:58:18 PM   
Lynn G.

How much longer are basketball announcers going to use the term "ball movement?" There must be ten different ways of saying what they want to say without making people think about what's going on in someone's bathroom.

For quite a while football announcers used the inane expression "taking a blow" when they were describing a player who needs to go to the sidelines for a rest - but you don't hear it very much anymore (and thank goodness for that). So it IS possible to identify when you're using an expression that is absolutely wretched and get out of the habit of using it.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 4609
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 11/18/2014 9:17:00 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Why the burning anger?

#1 I didn't think I could get ESPN3. I didn't see my Internet Provider on the list, but I just looked again and found them, so I guess I could watch
#2 I have a 60" TV for sports so I don't have to watch my 17" laptop or worse yet my iphone.

Be warned. I tried watching ESPN3 one time, and even though I entered all my cable info, it didn't work right. I think there's also a confusing username setup process. Good luck.

Apparently, eventhough I'm an internet customer with one of the providers, since I'm not doing TV with them I can't get it. DirectTV hasn't negotiated the package with ESPN3, so I'm screwed for tonight. I renew my

Told ya.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 4610
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 11/19/2014 8:35:00 AM   
SoMnFan

Nice bounceback from the Louisville loss.
Matthieu was outstanding. Has to be fun to play with, for a big man.
Thought that would be a much tougher game.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 4611
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 11/21/2014 8:32:45 AM   
Mr. Ed

109 points TH night vs a D2 school

25-0 run

Play hard. Get confidence.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 4612
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 11/25/2014 10:56:20 AM   
Mr. Ed

McNeil apparently arrested on a domestic charge

http://www4.co.hennepin.mn.us/webbooking/chargedetail.asp?v_booknum=2014031036

Escape while you can!
Post #: 4613
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 11/25/2014 12:58:22 PM   
TJSweens

Just kick his ass off the team now!

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/283847291.html

The report reads that McNeil “ripped her clothes off, hit her with a large belt multiple times, choked her and poured cold water on her. The victim [was] able to flee [the] unit with only a small robe and coat. ... Officers observed victim to have multiple bruising and welts all over her body.”

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 4614
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 11/25/2014 1:06:11 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

Just kick his ass off the team now!

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/283847291.html

The report reads that McNeil “ripped her clothes off, hit her with a large belt multiple times, choked her and poured cold water on her. The victim [was] able to flee [the] unit with only a small robe and coat. ... Officers observed victim to have multiple bruising and welts all over her body.”

Agreed. No tolerance policy.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 4615
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 11/25/2014 1:40:20 PM   
Lynn G.

Spencer Tollickson was just on the radio and he was hearing about the charges for the first time. He said he is floored because of all of the young men he knew, McNeil was the LAST one he would have guessed capable of something like that. Tollickson talked about McNeil's rough upbringing and how grateful the young man was for the way his life was now going. He's apparently extremely soft spoken and incredibly grateful for his scholarship and the opportunity he had been given. Not a likely candidate to have done something so awful.

Not that even a good person couldn't snap and do something horrible, or not that alcohol couldn't have played a part, but those comments were enough for me to think we ought to wait a couple of days to see how this plays out. There are some scenarios I can imagine in which she accused him of something even if he wasn't anywhere near her.

I agree - if he is guilty of this I want him completely off the team. But remember when Mbakwe was accused of assault on a woman in Florida and it turned out he was in Texas when it happened? The accusation and an overzealous prosecutor cost him a year of his college basketball career.

Post #: 4616
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 11/25/2014 6:37:25 PM   
TJSweens

He was in Florida. The ID was really shady.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 4617
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 11/25/2014 7:13:04 PM   
Lynn G.

Early reports said Texas. Perhaps I missed the follow-up - - - but even the victim changed her mind about identifying him and ultimately refused to cooperate at all.

Post #: 4618
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 11/25/2014 7:57:49 PM   
TJSweens

After she was attacked, she told a friend that the guy looked like someone from Mbakwe's basketball team. They looked up the team on the web and decided Trevor looked the most like the guy. She then called the police. So the police rather than do a random sampling of individuals, showed her a photo array of only the Miami Dade team. She of course picked him again. A horribly flawed ID that likely would have been tossed if there was an actual trial. The only thing that ID proved was that out of all the guys on the Miami Dade basketball team, Trevor Mbakwe looked the most like the guy who attacked this woman. Later the DA couldn't even find her. They finally offered him an early intervention program where he doesn't get charged with a crime as a way to make it go away.

Post #: 4619
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 11/25/2014 9:24:03 PM   
Lynn G.

That's my point. On the first day everyone thought that Mbakwe had committed this horrible crime. In the end it doesn't appear he was involved at all.

Who knows the story with McNeil? We should wait at least a couple of days until more information comes out.

Post #: 4620
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 11/26/2014 4:10:05 PM   
Mr. Ed

Daquein McNeil was charged Wednesday with two felony counts of assault in an alleged beating of his girlfriend.

McNeil, a 20-year-old sophomore guard on the University of Minnesota men’s basketball team, was arrested Monday and was being held at Hennepin County jail in Minneapolis.

The charges are third degree assault (substantial bodily harm), which is punishable by five years in prison and/or a $3,000-$10,000 fine; and domestic assault by strangulation, punishable with up to three years in prison and/or a $5,000 fine.

McNeil’s first appearance in Hennepin County court is set for Monday. Recommended bail is $75,000, and McNeil has been ordered to stay a reasonable distance away from the 28-year-old woman’s residence and have no contact with her.

County Attorney Mike Freeman announced the charges at an afternoon news conference, saying “this situation saddens and disappoints us,’’ noting McNeil’s difficult past in which both parents died within two months of one another, leading the youngster to be raised by an aunt.

“This is a young man who obviously has been through some very difficult times in his life, has seemed to have done quite well, has come to our university playing basketball and seems to have shaken some of the tragedies and the difficulties in his life,’’ Freeman said. “Having said that, the police report, the witnesses, the photographs of the wounds that his girlfriend has suffered are just not acceptable.’’

According to a Statement of Probable Cause, McNeil and the woman had been dating for about 10 months. McNeil came to her apartment on Monday to retrieve his Gophers backpack that he needed for the team’s trip to New York City.

He came into the woman’s bedroom carrying a cooking pan, according to the statement of probable cause. He smashed a mirror with the pan and began pulling out dresser drawers, then poured alcohol and cold water on her repeatedly. He subsequently tried to strangle her, saying “You ruined my life, now I am going to ruin yours,” the document said.

McNeil was ushered out of the apartment by the victim’s male roommate, Freeman said. The woman tried to take a shower to warm up, the statement continued, but McNeil returned, allegedly ripping off the shower curtain and whipping her with a belt.

Freeman said he does not know what prompted McNeil’s actions. He said there is no indication that McNeil has any similar violent incidents with the woman previously.

The woman was eventually able to leave the apartment and seek help. Police responded shortly before noon on Monday and reported she had “large welts and marks all over her body,” and “a reddish mark on her neck where the Defendant strangled her.’’

McNeil was apprehended by campus police and booked by Minneapolis police Monday afternoon.

University athletic director Norwood Teague announced Tuesday that McNeil had been suspended from basketball team activities pending an investigation into the alleged assault. After McNeil was charged Wednesday, Teague issued a statement, saying that McNeil “will remain suspended from all team-related activities as his case makes its way through the judicial process. This athletics department remains committed to its values of respect for others and respect for the greater community. We will not tolerate domestic assault from any of our staff or student-athletes.’’

University President Eric Kaler issued a separate statement saying he agreed with Teague’s “immediate action to suspend the player from the team, and we will review the facts of the case in relation to the student code of conduct.’’ Kaler said the university and himself “have zero tolerance for domestic abuse.’’

Escape while you can!
Post #: 4621
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 11/26/2014 6:17:58 PM   
TJSweens

The information seems pretty damning to this point.

Post #: 4622
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 11/26/2014 8:25:05 PM   
Lynn G.

Wow - bad, bad, bad.

He's done, and I hope she isn't one of those women who protects him and doesn't want to press charges.

Post #: 4623
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 11/26/2014 8:25:40 PM   
Lynn G.

It kind of sounds like old time roid rage.

Post #: 4624
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 11/26/2014 8:49:14 PM   
SoMnFan

A loss to St Johns.

sigh

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 4625
Page:   <<   < prev  183 184 [185] 186 187   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) Page: <<   < prev  183 184 [185] 186 187   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode