Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) Page: <<   < prev  246 247 [248] 249 250   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/20/2019 3:48:07 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

I hope the scoreboard falls on him.

agreed

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 6176
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/20/2019 4:48:05 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

Is Michael a senior this coming year?

I hope so

Has contributed very little for all the playing time given.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 6177
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/22/2019 7:29:22 AM   
SoMnFan

Has there been a scoreboard safety issue in Duke that I'm unaware of?
Just wondering.
Post #: 6178
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/22/2019 8:40:50 AM   
TJSweens

No, just a lot of wishful thinking on my part.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 6179
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/22/2019 9:52:52 AM   
SoMnFan

Love it.

(but something I'd get hashed over for, if I said it)
Post #: 6180
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/24/2019 2:35:35 PM   
Phil Riewer

Isaiah Ihnen Commits to Gophers

247 just ranked him the #89 prospect in the 2019 class

Marcus R. Fuller
‏@Marcus_R_Fuller
Follow Follow @Marcus_R_Fuller

Future Gopher Isaiah Ihnen's favorite player is Kevin Durant. German KD maybe;) He's 6-9 with a 7-4 wingspan. Hear he has 3-point range but can put ball on floor. Needs to add strength and weight (190lbs). But athleticism + skill at his length=big upside.

Marcus R. Fuller
@Marcus_R_Fuller
18m18 minutes ago

Richard Pitino on 6-9 incoming German recruit @ihnen_isaiah: "He's extremely versatile on the court and can play multiple positions ... Potential is off the charts. We expect Isaiah to come in and make a great impact on and off the court right when he steps on campus." #Gophers

Marcus R. Fuller

@Marcus_R_Fuller

#Gophers newest hoops recruit Isaiah Ihnen signed his letter of intent Wednesday back home in Germany. He’s a four-star and top 100 prospect by 247Sports. Richard Pitino’s 2019 class is No. 36 nationally and No. 5 in the Big Ten by @247Sports @GopherMBB @ihnen_isaiah

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 6181
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/24/2019 3:42:28 PM   
SoMnFan

get Kepler on this kids contact list … stat
Post #: 6182
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 5/3/2019 3:45:41 PM   
TJSweens

The Gophers got a commitment from 6'9" graduate transfer Alihan Demir of Turkey by way of Drexel University. He is the early favorite to be the starting PF.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 6183
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 5/4/2019 2:55:26 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

The Gophers got a commitment from 6'9" graduate transfer Alihan Demir of Turkey by way of Drexel University. He is the early favorite to be the starting PF.

Well hopefully he's good, because he has big shoes to fill.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 6184
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 5/30/2019 9:02:09 AM   
Mr. Ed

Coffey bails

Escape while you can!
Post #: 6185
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 5/30/2019 9:14:10 AM   
TJSweens

IMO it's probably 50-50 that he gets drafted. I don't think coming back for another year was going to improve his chances.

Post #: 6186
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 5/30/2019 10:57:43 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

Coffey bails

Bails on us or on the draft?

Crap. Bails on us. He won't be drafted.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 6187
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 5/30/2019 11:04:47 AM   
twinsfan

I think he bailed on the Gophers because he realized his stock isn't going to rise even if he has a great senior year. With Carr coming in, Coffey won't be able to show his ability to run the point much this coming season. He was able to showcase his PG skills (or work-in-progress skills) more this past season.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 6188
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 5/30/2019 11:32:57 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

I think he bailed on the Gophers because he realized his stock isn't going to rise even if he has a great senior year. With Carr coming in, Coffey won't be able to show his ability to run the point much this coming season. He was able to showcase his PG skills (or work-in-progress skills) more this past season.

There is a lot of talent coming in....wrong time for him to leave even if he isn't playing point. Not sure if he can play point in the NBA but maybe he might be worth a low 2nd rounder by the yocal team?

Post #: 6189
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 5/30/2019 11:54:05 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

There is a lot of talent coming in....wrong time for him to leave even if he isn't playing point. Not sure if he can play point in the NBA but maybe he might be worth a low 2nd rounder by the yocal team?

I wouldn't say it's the wrong time for him to leave. He turns 22 in a couple of weeks. I don't see him improving his stock, by staying for another year. NBA teams aren't really big on drafting 23 year olds.

Post #: 6190
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 5/30/2019 12:03:57 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

quote:

I wouldn't say it's the wrong time for him to leave. He turns 22 in a couple of weeks. I don't see him improving his stock, by staying for another year. NBA teams aren't really big on drafting 23 year olds.

Agreed. It's time for him to start earning money, even if it's in Europe.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 6191
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 5/30/2019 12:08:13 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Agreed. It's time for him to start earning money, even if it's in Europe.

Yep. He will be either a second round pick or a UDFA whether he leaves this year or next. The sooner he gets to the development league or Europe the sooner he has a chance to crack the NBA at some point.

Post #: 6192
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 6/14/2019 7:28:20 AM   
Phil Riewer

Marcus R. Fuller

@Marcus_R_Fuller

#Gophers add point guard depth with three-star Florida senior Bryan Greenlee @StribSports @GopherMBB @bgreenlee21 http://strib.mn/2WC9MK5

Post #: 6193
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 8/7/2019 11:04:09 AM   
Phil Riewer

Dang

Chet Holmgren

https://twitter.com/SLAM_HS/status/1158874269302046721

Post #: 6194
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 8/7/2019 11:14:21 AM   
TJSweens

Another in state recruit destined to go somewhere else.

Post #: 6195
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 9/3/2019 4:38:45 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

And Another

Richard, you are an AWESOME leader

Escape while you can!
Post #: 6196
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 9/3/2019 9:16:23 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

And Another

Duke or Kentucky is one thing, but how the hell do lose a recruiting battle with Cincinnati?

Post #: 6197
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 9/3/2019 9:44:09 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

quote:

And Another

Duke or Kentucky is one thing, but how the hell do lose a recruiting battle with Cincinnati?

What happened?

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 6198
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 9/6/2019 1:27:27 PM   
MDK

http://www.startribune.com/is-it-time-to-consider-re-hanging-the-1997-final-four-banner-at-williams-arena/559583022/

Is it time to consider re-hanging the 1997 Final Four banner at Williams Arena?
For nearly 19 years, the symbol of the Gophers men’s basketball team’s greatest on-court accomplishment and biggest off-court shame has been absent from the public eye.
By Michael Rand

For nearly 19 years, the symbol of the Gophers men’s basketball team’s greatest on-court accomplishment and biggest off-court shame has been absent from the public eye.

At 5 a.m. Wednesday, Oct. 26, 2000, the banner from the men’s program’s lone Final Four appearance was taken down from the Williams Arena rafters as part of the extensive punishment for the school’s academic fraud scandal.

Why so early in the day? Per a Star Tribune story from the time: to avoid prying eyes, according to school officials. And according to a story a month later, the 1997 banner was “stashed in some closet,” where it presumably has been gathering dust for the better part of two decades.

But in light of a recent NCAA decision, Star Tribune Gophers men’s basketball beat writer Marcus Fuller asked his followers on Twitter a question: Should the banners from those vacated seasons go back up again?

But let’s examine the issue a little more closely.

First, the NCAA decision in question, as noted by Inside Higher Education: After the University of North Carolina somehow evaded NCAA sanctions after creating “fake classes that largely benefited athletes for nearly two decades,” a committee created by the NCAA recommended the governing body “pass a bylaw that gave it broader authority to punish institutions that engage in academic fraud.”

But in August, the NCAA’s Board of Directors declined to support the proposal, which means per IHE that the bylaw “will not be voted on by the larger NCAA membership.”

It’s not hard to see why this would make many people — including Gophers fans — upset. Why does North Carolina get to keep its championships and banners? And why does the NCAA, which came down so hard on Minnesota in its academic fraud case, not want to adopt a bylaw to help punish future offenders?

Per IHE: “Governance bodies and much of the membership as a whole were uncomfortable with the concept at this time,” NCAA spokeswoman Michelle Hosick wrote in an email, declining to specify the reasons for their discomfort.

That sounds like a bunch of garbled nonsense (at best), and it remains ridiculous that North Carolina wasn’t punished.

Adding to any movement to re-hang the 1997 banner: new Michigan coach Juwan Howard sounds interested in starting a discussion about whether to re-hang the Wolverines Final Four banners from 1992 and 1993 that were vacated.

On the other hand, though, are two points. One, Minnesota officials accepted their punishment from the NCAA two decades ago and almost seemed relieved to have done so.

“The additional penalties imposed on us were tough but fair,” said Mark Yudof in 2000, the school’s president at the time. “We have no quarrel with any of them and will comply with each of them.”

And the second point: Any argument that the Gophers should re-hang their 1997 banner essentially hinges on two wrongs — the school’s initial wrongdoing and the NCAA’s later inexplicable inaction in different cases — making a right.

Is it fair that North Carolina preserved its history while the Gophers had to stuff theirs in a closet? Not at all. But “they got away with it, so why can’t we?” is not a particularly flattering or compelling reason to ask for a change.

All that said: It is somewhat silly to deny history. The banner isn’t some Confederate monument. It’s a piece of fabric saying a basketball team did something great on the court.

Maybe it doesn’t belong in the rafters … but speaking particularly as someone who was a student at the U during that Final Four season, I’d sure like to see it again someday.

Read the comments.....one is good but they got it wrong.....the quote refers to UCLA and the NCAA penalizing Long Beach State coached by Tarkanian.

Loved UCLA BB and Wooden but the alums were dirty as hell. But as one notes the bluebloods get off scott free from NCAA penaties. Not only in BB but also football. All of the highly visible programs are dirty but the NCAA goes after the lesser programs if they show consistent success and are challenging the big boys off their sacred perches.

The NCAA is one of the most corrupt organizations yet they try to come across as being interested in academics. They love to show off the great student athletes in non revenue generating sports to show their commitments to academics.

They are interested in one thing. Money.
And only Money.

I say hang the banner and give the NCAA a one finger salute

MAGA needs to change to MAWA= Make America White Again

Tom Smothers RIP: Easter "is when Jesus comes out of his tomb and if he sees his shadow, he goes back in and we get six more weeks of winter."
Post #: 6199
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 9/6/2019 2:35:58 PM  1 votes
SoMnFan

Yup
Hang it
We get death penalties for minor shit
The big boys get slaps on the wrist for DECADES of abuse
NCAA was almost always a corrupt entity handing out punishment with no regard for equity.
Post #: 6200
Page:   <<   < prev  246 247 [248] 249 250   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) Page: <<   < prev  246 247 [248] 249 250   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode