Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) Page: <<   < prev  247 248 [249] 250 251   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 9/19/2019 9:02:50 AM   
TJSweens

Pitino loses two 4 star bigs from the metro area to f***in Wisconsin in 24 hrs. Good job Little Richie. And seriously, why the hell would anyone want to go to Wisconsin? It's one thing to lose them to Duke, Kentucky and Gonzaga, but f***ing Wisconsin?!

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 6201
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 9/19/2019 9:26:22 AM   
Lynn G.

I figure that Wisconsin must do a pretty poor job in their high school basketball programs that they are so bereft of talent there that they always have to look west for talent.

But I hate that our guys choose to go there instead of stay home.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 6202
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 9/19/2019 9:35:50 AM   
TJSweens

That's the most frustrating aspect of it Lynn. Every time Wisconsin has a high ranked team, the core is always Minnesota kids.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 6203
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 9/19/2019 9:42:08 AM   
Phil Riewer

I think he goes after the golden egg recruits that go to UNC, Duke, or Kansas and these kids end up feeling 2nd fiddle.....Wisconsin makes them feel like they are important. I don't understand the unofficial MN versus an official Wisconsin visit.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 6204
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 9/19/2019 9:51:26 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

I think he goes after the golden egg recruits that go to UNC, Duke, or Kansas and these kids end up feeling 2nd fiddle.....Wisconsin makes them feel like they are important. I don't understand the unofficial MN versus an official Wisconsin visit.

No, there are a couple of golden egg recruits, like Suggs, who haven't even scheduled official visits and may not. Pitino offered the most recent pair scholarships a long time ago.

Post #: 6205
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 9/19/2019 9:57:26 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

No, there are a couple of golden egg recruits, like Suggs, who haven't even scheduled official visits and may not. Pitino offered the most recent pair scholarships a long time ago.

I understand that part....I don't understand why he couldn't even get them to use official visits to the U. I read that the only time the two we lost were at the U for a visit were the recent unofficial visits during a football game. I know they get only so many official visits but to only get an unofficial visit from someone that is serious should have been a red flag.

Post #: 6206
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 9/19/2019 3:37:37 PM   
Pete M.

quote:

That's the most frustrating aspect of it Lynn. Every time Wisconsin has a high ranked team, the core is always Minnesota kids.

Agree on the frustration. But Wisconsin has a long-established culture and recruits very specific "fit" players. The state of Minnesota has produced a bunch of "grinder" guards and stretch-4s in recent years that have really helped Wisconsin, and now other kids in that same mold see the school as really attractive. And for good reason -- they've been an remarkably successful program for going on 20 years.

I'm not so worried about losing these guys -- I wouldn't love cheering for Brad Davison, for example -- but it sets off a very concerning contrast with Pitino. The great programs -- ESPECIALLY the ones who aren't "blue bloods," like Virginia, Villanova, Butler, Syracuse, and unfortunately, probably Wisconsin over the last decade -- have coaches who install a system, impose a top-down culture, identify kids from all over who will further that system (whether highly recruited or not), then coach them up into productive players by their junior and senior years. Every one of those schools I named -- and basically any other program with year-in, year-out success that isn't just plucking blue bloods -- has an identity as a program, and they recruit to it and teach it.

Okay, now look at Minnesota: what's Richard's identity? When he came here, he wanted to press -- then learned he couldn't do it in the B1G and dropped it. Now what is it: junkyard dogs who can't shoot? I just don't see a system or a culture that is in place, nor do I see the relentless, intentional "recruit and teach" model that other schools have. I want to like Richard, I really do: he seems like a good guy, and he's great with fans and media. I'm just not sure he can coach -- not as much in Xs and Os as in leading a program to buy into a specific culture and identity and impose it on your opponents.
Post #: 6207
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 10/8/2019 1:59:22 PM   
David Levine

Curry out indefinitely after injuring his his right knee in practice.

Curry was expected to be the primary backup PF and C in this year’s rotation, with eventually working his way to the starting PF spot being a very strong possibility. Curry had a very promising freshman season but has spent most of the next two seasons recovering from ligament tears on his left knee. But an MRI on Monday showed damage to his right knee.
Post #: 6208
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 10/8/2019 2:00:34 PM   
David Levine

Gopher Basketball Lands 4-star PF, Martice Mitchell

https://www.thedailygopher.com/2019/10/7/20902104/minnesota-gopher-basketball-recruiting-lands-4-star-pf-martice-mitchell-chicago-native-top-150
Post #: 6209
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 10/8/2019 2:01:15 PM   
TJSweens

Four-star recruit Martice Mitchell commits to Richard Pitino's Gophers
Martice Mitchell has an inside-outside game.
By Marcus Fuller Star Tribune OCTOBER 8, 2019 — 8:08AM

Before Martice Mitchell leads one of the top high school teams in the state of Illinois his senior season, he wanted to pick a college basketball program best suited to utilize his versatility at 6 feet 10.

The four-star Chicago Heights Bloom High forward announced his decision Monday to be the first commitment in the Gophers’ 2020 recruiting class.

Mitchell, ranked as high as No. 125 in the country and the No. 3 senior in Illinois by 247Sports.com, picked Minnesota over Rutgers. Gophers coach Richard Pitino has now landed a four-star recruit in six straight recruiting classes.

“I think they’re getting a hidden gem,” said Aubrey DeNard, Mitchell’s mentor, trainer and AAU coach. “He’s a late bloomer, as far as how good he’s going to be. He’s going to be one of the best guys in the country by the end of this year. He’s very versatile. He can shoot the three, put it on the floor and post up.”

The Gophers were the only Big Ten program without a 2020 commitment before Mitchell’s announcement Monday.

Two weeks ago, Mitchell’s official trip to the U gave him a chance to hear how Pitino and his staff would give him an opportunity to stretch the floor and use the perimeter skills he has at his size.

“They haven’t had anybody like him,” DeNard said. “I think that’s one of the main reasons he picked them. [Gophers assistant] Rob Jeter is incredible. He really intrigued us and Martice on the visit. He really vibes well with him, and he really likes Pitino. I think he’s a great coach and knows what he’s talking about. He has a lot to offer and can really help Martice become that player he wants to become.”

Mitchell said he expects that.

“They can help me get to the next level that I’m trying to get to,” Mitchell said Monday night. “I chose them because I feel like it’s a good fit. I really get along with the players and I like the coaches.”

Despite being listed as a center, Mitchell showed off his outside shooting skills during the summer AAU circuit playing for Young & Reckless/Kevon Looney Elite. He went from a non-ranked player last year to attracting Power Five offers from Rutgers, Minnesota, Xavier, Maryland, Oregon, Iowa and Mississippi.

As a junior, Mitchell led Bloom to 26 wins and within one win of the program’s first Illinois state tournament berth since 2012. His high school team should be one of the top five teams in the state this season.

Pitino has two scholarships remaining for 2020 with hopes of soon adding four-star Brewster Academy guard Jamal Mashburn Jr., who narrowed down his list to Cal and Minnesota. The son of the former Kentucky and NBA standout made an official visit to the Gophers over the weekend.

The Gophers announced in a Twitter video that senior walk-on guard Brady Rudrud will receive a scholarship for the 2019-20 season. Rudrud played at Eden Prairie.

The top priority locally for Pitino is five-star Prior Lake forward Dawson Garcia, who made his official visit on the same weekend that Mitchell did in September.

Post #: 6210
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 10/8/2019 3:59:44 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

Curry out indefinitely after injuring his his right knee in practice.

Curry was expected to be the primary backup PF and C in this year’s rotation, with eventually working his way to the starting PF spot being a very strong possibility. Curry had a very promising freshman season but has spent most of the next two seasons recovering from ligament tears on his left knee. But an MRI on Monday showed damage to his right knee.

Sucks, so much promise his freshman year and he just can't stay healthy.

Post #: 6211
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 10/8/2019 4:00:05 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

Gopher Basketball Lands 4-star PF, Martice Mitchell

https://www.thedailygopher.com/2019/10/7/20902104/minnesota-gopher-basketball-recruiting-lands-4-star-pf-martice-mitchell-chicago-native-top-150

There is a nice recruit.

Post #: 6212
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 10/14/2019 11:52:29 AM   
Phil Riewer

Add Mash Jr to our list of 4star recruits.

Marcus R. Fuller
‏@Marcus_R_Fuller
Richard Pitino's 2020 #Gophers recruiting class now with four-star prospects Jamal Mashburn Jr. and Martice Mitchell is ranked No. 27 nationally and No. 5 in the Big Ten, per @247Sports @GopherMBB @B1GMBBall

Marcus R. Fuller

@Marcus_R_Fuller
33m33 minutes ago
More
Mashburn Jr. on why he liked the #Gophers: "They need someone who can shoot the ball, defend and lead a team ... That separates them from other programs. There's a need, and I know with the right opportunity I can make something happen. @StribSports @GopherMBB

Post #: 6213
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 10/14/2019 11:53:25 AM   
Phil Riewer

Jamal Mashburn Jr., commits to Richard Pitino's Gophers
Mashburn, a four-star, 6-2 guard, is Minnesota's second recruit to make a commitment for the Class of 2020.
By Marcus Fuller Star Tribune OCTOBER 14, 2019 — 11:41AM

JAMAL MASHBURN JR. ON INSTAGRAM
Jamal Mashburn Jr's father was a standout for Rick Pitino at Kentucky before moving on to the NBA.
Gophers coach Richard Pitino landed four-star senior guard Jamal Mashburn Jr. on Monday to continue the bond their families shared since his father coached one of the all-time greats in Kentucky basketball history decades ago.

Mashburn, the son of the former Kentucky and NBA standout by the same name, picked the Gophers over Cal.

The 6-foot-2, 180-pound Brewster Academy (N.H.) senior guard visited Minnesota’s campus officially for the second time earlier this month. Jamal Mashburn Sr. played for Rick Pitino at Kentucky from 1990-93, but the relationship of their sons eventually developed beyond the original player-coach connection.

“I’ve been interested in the school. I’ve been interested in the program,” Mashburn Jr. told the Star Tribune. “With Richard Pitino, there’s obviously a family-type bond to that, but that doesn’t really matter as far as picking schools and as far as what’s important for me.”

Mashburn is a consensus top-100 prospect and ranked highest at 84th overall and the 10th best combo guard in the 2020 class by 247Sports.com. He grew up in Miami and played his first two years of high school basketball at Gulliver Prep in Florida. Richard Pitino started recruiting the young Mashburn during his sophomore season.

“The whole family bond thing has stayed the same throughout it all,” Mashburn Jr. said. “I feel like it hasn’t really changed. It doesn’t really play a role in my decisionmaking and it doesn’t play a role in how I got about things. They still have to do their recruiting. I’m not just going to walk in their because he’s Rick Pitino’s son and my dad. This was for me and I wanted to go through the process. I have gone through the process.”

Pitino’s 2020 class ranks No. 27 nationally and No. 5 in the Big Ten by 247Sports.com with Mashburn and 6-10 four-star Chicago Heights Bloom forward Martice Mitchell, who committed to the U last week.

The Gophers have one more scholarship remaining for the 2020 class, and are still in the running for five-star Prior Lake forward Dawson Garcia, who visited officially last month. Mashburn said the Gophers need a combo guard like him who can help run their offense and be a scoring threat. At the Nike Peach Jam this summer, he averaged 20.8 points and shot 46.9 percent from three-point range for the PSA Cardinals from New York.

“They need someone who can shoot the ball, defend and lead a team,” he said about Minnesota. “Lot of programs might want me, but do they have a need for me? That separates them from other programs. There’s a need, and I know with the right opportunity I can make something happen.”

Post #: 6214
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 10/14/2019 12:32:54 PM   
TJSweens

It's amazing how Pitino is scoring big recruiting wins around the country, but keeps getting the door slammed in his face in state. Hopefully some of these 4 star recruits from other states will elevate the program to where the top in state players consider Minnesota more seriously.

Post #: 6215
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 10/14/2019 1:02:06 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

It's amazing how Pitino is scoring big recruiting wins around the country, but keeps getting the door slammed in his face in state. Hopefully some of these 4 star recruits from other states will elevate the program to where the top in state players consider Minnesota more seriously.

Growing up in freezing cold or hot as hell Minnesota, I can see why a stud prospect would want to get out if given the opportunity.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 6216
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 10/14/2019 2:12:43 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

Growing up in freezing cold or hot as hell Minnesota, I can see why a stud prospect would want to get out if given the opportunity.

I don't care if they are in-state recruits or not....one and done can go to Duke or Kansas. Keep on getting the 4 stars that want to come here.

Really love that we get our own NBA jr. Usually they know how much hard work it takes to succeed.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 10/14/2019 2:14:52 PM >

Post #: 6217
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 10/14/2019 2:15:56 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

I don't care if they are in-state recruits or not....one and done can go to Duke or Kansas. Keep on getting the 4 stars that want to come here.

I thinks it's important to nail down in state guys as well. That's the best way to have continuity. There are some really good ones that have gone elsewhere who were not 1 and done players and contributed mightily to their program's success. Wisconsin is a classic example.

Post #: 6218
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 10/14/2019 2:19:44 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I thinks it's important to nail down in state guys as well. That's the best way to have continuity. There are some really good ones that have gone elsewhere who were not 1 and done players and contributed mightily to their program's success. Wisconsin is a classic example.

He has kept some...just not the highest recruits. Amir, Oturo, and Gabe have been good recruits. I don't know much about Mitchell but I think Mashburn Jr. is going to be a good one.

Post #: 6219
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 10/16/2019 1:21:29 PM   
twinsfan

Eric Curry is out for the season.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 6220
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 10/21/2019 10:41:15 AM   
Phil Riewer

https://twitter.com/GopherMBB/status/1185646739497345024?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1185646739497345024&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.forums.gopherhole.com%2Fboards%2Fshowthread.php%3F90743-MN-vs-ISU-Closed-Scrimmage

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 10/21/2019 10:43:24 AM >

Post #: 6221
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 10/21/2019 10:46:03 AM   
Phil Riewer

In today's closed scrimmage, Minnesota defeated Iowa State 77-68. GI goes "Inside the Numbers" to see that players from last year's Gopher roster led the way in the nine point victory.

Each year teams can play a closed scrimmage instead of public exhibition game and like they have commonly done the Gophers decided to play a closed scrimmage against a local high major opponent. Minnesota faced Iowa State in Ames and were led by a Daniel Oturu double-double.

How good is Iowa State expected to be? The Cyclones lost four of their top five players so they were commonly picked in the bottom three spots of the Big XII in preseason predictions (the Big XII predictions are all over the map so tough to tell). They do return two starters in Tyrese Haliburton and Michael Jacobson.

Here are the numbers to know from the Gopher victory:

Minnesota's starters were Marcus Carr, Gabe Kalscheur, Payton Willis, Alihan Demir, and Daniel Oturu as expected. The guard core of Kalscheur, Carr, and Willis each played between 30 to 35 minutes in the three backcourt spots and I believe you are likely to see a lot of that until some depth can be established. Daniel Oturu played 29, Alihan Demir 23, Jarvis Omersa played 20, and Michael Hurt played 17 minutes.
The four freshmen were split into two groups: Tre Williams, Bryan Greenlee, and Isaiah Ihnen played about the same (10-12 minutes) while Samuel Freeman played one rotation of four minutes. In the One & Done Podcast released today, Marcus Fuller talked about Jarvis Omersa playing the back-up five a lot of minutes plus some four, Ihnen and Hurt playing the back-up minutes at the four (some at the three), and then Greenlee and Williams backing up the veteran guards. That's pretty much what we see in the box score today.
Haliburton and Jacobson were held to a combined to shoot 5 of 21 from the floor for 13 points total. Penn State transfer Rasir Bolton (who will be immediately eligible despite not being hurt last year or having a known hardship - word is Penn State was ok with his immediate eligibility and helped the process) shot 3 of 13 leading the team with 15 points. The Gopher defense held the top three Cyclone players to 8 of 34 shooting which is very encouraging. As a team Iowa State shot 30.6 percent (22 of 72) so the Gopher defense that we expect to be very good, must of been very good.
Worried about the Gopher rebounding? So far so good as Minnesota won the battle of the boards 51-40 vs ISU with Daniel Oturu grabbing 13. Seven Gophers grabbed 4 or more boards.
We've been looking at Marcus Carr and wondering what he will be in terms of playmaking for himself vs playmaking for others. Today he scored a team high 17 making all five foul shots and shooting 6 of 15 plus dished out four assists. But he also missed all four threes and had four turnovers.
The Stability. That's why I feel like calling Gabe Kalscheur and Payton Willis this year as that is what I think they will be. Six of the seven Willis shots came at the arc and he made half those threes scoring a dozen. Gabe made four triples scoring a game high 17 but he shot 5 of 14. You have to believe they both played a huge role in 6-foot-5 Haliburton and 6-foot-4 Bolton shooting as poorly as they did.
Difference in the game? At least from what we can tell in the box score... Daniel Oturu. He had 13 points and 13 boards, ten on the defensive end, plus made 5 of 6 foul shots. Not it's not 30 and 20 but I'm not seeing anything near double-double numbers from any ISU bigs.
Jarvis Omersa and Alihan Demir. Alihan only took three shots in 23 minutes, Jarvis missed six of seven shots in 20 minutes. Not exciting shooting numbers but they combined for 11 boards which is important.
Michael Hurt played 17 minutes and looked to be efficient making the two shots he took, making the two foul shots he attempted, and finishing with six points and four boards with no turnovers and a steal.
The freshmen (Williams, Ihnen, Greenlee, Freeman) shot 2 of 8 for the game. Williams was 0 for 2 and had a couple turnovers, Greenlee chased down four boards, Ihnen was 1 for 3 from the field, his make was a three.
Minnesota shot 19 of 23 from the foul line (very good), they were better than ISU from the field (38 percent), the three numbers looked like last season (8 of 28).

Post #: 6222
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 11/5/2019 10:14:57 AM   
kgdabom

Jay Bilas just released his top 68 college teams.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28006190/jay-bilas-1-68-college-basketball-rankings-2019-20-preseason

Gophers don't make the list. OUCH!!!

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 6223
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 11/13/2019 10:19:22 AM   
SoMnFan

Pretty quiet in here ….. I see the boys weren't even on the "good' FSN channel, they got relegated to another

Zero offensive ability from the team, when I watched. THEE most non-dangerous squad in awhile.
And that's saying something.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 6224
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 11/13/2019 10:23:46 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan
Pretty quiet in here ….. I see the boys weren't even on the "good' FSN channel, they got relegated to another
Zero offensive ability from the team, when I watched. THEE most non-dangerous squad in awhile.
And that's saying something.

Yepper...Not enough inside to open up shooting. Coffey's driving and Murphy inside presence are missed.

Post #: 6225
Page:   <<   < prev  247 248 [249] 250 251   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) Page: <<   < prev  247 248 [249] 250 251   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode