Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) Page: <<   < prev  255 256 [257] 258 259   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 3/31/2020 12:44:47 PM  1 votes
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

Carr might get drafted late in the 2nd round.

By which Euro team?

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 6401
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 3/31/2020 12:50:33 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

He’s going to maintain eligibility by not hiring an agent. He’s just testing the waters.

I can’t see him getting drafted. He had his moments but overall had a pretty blah season. Then again, Minnesota under Pitino is where point guards go to die. Maybe someone will see his wasted talent here and if not draft him at least sign him to a two way. And he’d probably take G League ball over languishing another year here. I know I would.

He's probably just hoping to go anywhere that he doesn't have to play 37 MPG...
Post #: 6402
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/1/2020 8:57:51 AM   
Phil Riewer

Darren Wolfson
@DWolfsonKSTP
·
14m
The former Delano HS star talked to #Gophers ass’t Kyle Lindsted. Wishart is transferring from Georgia Southern. The guard started this past season, is a solid 3-point shooter.
Quote Tweet

Gopher Sports
@sports_gopher
· 14h
Source:

Wishart and gophers talked yesterday. However, other guys ahead of him in pecking order as now #gophers

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 6403
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/1/2020 9:00:49 AM   
Phil Riewer

Marcus R. Fuller
@Marcus_R_Fuller
·
22m
Four-star Hopkins guard Kerwin Walton picks six finalists, including the #Gophers
@StribSports

@GopherMBB

@K_Walton24

Post #: 6404
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/1/2020 9:59:47 AM   
Mr. Ed

Yay

Finalists

As noted good guards basically go to the Pitino Gophers

And see their development end.

Bad program.

Telling a kid too bad you’re low on our list

On a team that barely used their bench last season

And the year before.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 6405
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/1/2020 10:22:37 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

Yay

Finalists

As noted good guards basically go to the Pitino Gophers

And see their development end.

Bad program.

Telling a kid too bad you’re low on our list

On a team that barely used their bench last season

And the year before.

Gophers will be final 3...

Post #: 6406
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/6/2020 7:59:42 AM   
Mr. Ed

Seven footer bolts Drake for the U

Led nation in blocked shots and scored about 14/game.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 6407
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/6/2020 2:35:24 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

Has to sit out one year. Otherwise I would be really pumped. Still sorta pumped.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 6408
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/6/2020 3:07:51 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

Has to sit out one year. Otherwise I would be really pumped. Still sorta pumped.

That has yet to be determined. The NCAA will vote on a one time waiver transfer rule this summer.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 6409
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/10/2020 8:11:57 AM   
Phil Riewer

Still an open shcolly for Walton.

Evan Daniels

@EvanDaniels
Western Michigan forward Brandon Johnson just verbally committed to Minnesota, he tells @247SPorts. | Story: https://247sports.com/college/basketball/recruiting/Article/Brandon-Johnson-Minnesota-Western-Michigan-145871329/

Minnesota guard Payton Willis will graduate and transfer, a source tells @247Sports. Averaged 8.9 PPG, 3.6 RPG and 2.0 APG this past season.
12:19 PM - Apr 9, 2020

Post #: 6410
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/14/2020 4:55:25 PM   
Phil Riewer

Interesting transfer portal information:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/transfer-portal-causing-college-basketball-coaches-headaches-072619189--ncaab.html

Post #: 6411
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/15/2020 11:37:21 AM   
Phil Riewer

Marcus R. Fuller
@Marcus_R_Fuller
·
9m
Today is the start of the late signing period for college basketball. So, right now Robbins joining the #Gophers was made official. Western Michigan grad transfer Brandon Johnson is expected to send his signed letter of intent in today as well I heard.
@StribSports

@GopherMBB

Post #: 6412
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/17/2020 7:35:59 AM   
Phil Riewer

By Jay Busbee

Morning! Let’s wrap the week with a little quiz.
Can you name the five most exciting players in college basketball right now? How about the five most exciting players slated to return in the fall? Don’t worry if you failed. Hell, I follow sports for a living, and I couldn’t pass my own test.

College basketball is in the grips of an identity crisis so severe that most American sports fans have little to no connection with the players that make up every NCAA tournament.

‌So Thursday’s news, first reported by our own Chris Haynes, that Jalen Green, the nation’s top high school player, would sidestep the NCAA and play for an NBA G-League team instead isn’t just a story of a kid getting some fast cash. It’s a potential body blow to the entire NCAA.

Because of the NBA’s current one-and-done rule, players can’t join the NBA for a year after their high school graduation, no matter how talented they are. (See: Kobe Bryant, LeBron James and Kevin Garnett, all of whom turned pro before this rule.) Up until now, those overqualified high school players had a choice: spend a year killing time on a college campus, or spend a year making money overseas, often in Australia.

‌But the G League has upped its financial game — reports are that Green could make as much as $500,000 for one year of ball — and that makes it a viable and lucrative stateside option.

‌Make no mistake, this isn’t just the NBA firing a shot across the NCAA’s bow — it’s shots across the bow, over the stern, and through the masts. Our Pete Thamel quoted one agent calling it “a big middle finger to the NCAA,” and that sounds about right. This is the NBA bypassing the NCAA completely, taking control of player development and even offering a scholarship for players to complete their college degree.

‌All of a sudden, the NCAA finds itself boxed out by its own machinations. Players can’t get (legally) paid to play college ball, and it turns out the allure of being an unpaid student-athlete at a college campus — while definitely a draw for some players — won’t do much to alter the trajectory of elite ballers with their eye on the NBA.

‌College basketball is already facing an uphill challenge to gain eyeballs during its regular season. The G League could doom it to niche status for 11 months out of the year. This won’t significantly affect the NCAA tournament — we just saw how important that is, even in a down year for star power — but the G League might just doom the entire rest of the college basketball season to irrelevancy.

‌On the plus side, though, you’ll still be able to hate Duke. That’s never changing.

‌Hope your weekend’s a safe and happy one. Stay safe, have a good meal, call your loved ones, and we’ll see you back here Monday!

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 4/20/2020 11:50:49 AM >

Post #: 6413
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/20/2020 11:22:02 AM  1 votes
kgdabom

College players should not be paid. They are getting a scholarship for a free education including housing meals and everything. If they want to make money playing the game and they have no interest in a college education turn PRO. You know professional athletics where you get paid to play.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 6414
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/20/2020 11:50:10 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

College players should not be paid. They are getting a scholarship for a free education including housing meals and everything. If they want to make money playing the game and they have no interest in a college education turn PRO. You know professional athletics where you get paid to play.

That isn't what the article is.....G League is willing to pay a kid 500k to learn how to be a pro. It is just the start. NCAA should be worried.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 4/20/2020 11:51:10 AM >

Post #: 6415
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/20/2020 12:20:53 PM  1 votes
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

Still an open shcolly for Walton.

Evan Daniels

@EvanDaniels
Western Michigan forward Brandon Johnson just verbally committed to Minnesota, he tells @247SPorts. | Story: https://247sports.com/college/basketball/recruiting/Article/Brandon-Johnson-Minnesota-Western-Michigan-145871329/

Minnesota guard Payton Willis will graduate and transfer, a source tells @247Sports. Averaged 8.9 PPG, 3.6 RPG and 2.0 APG this past season.
12:19 PM - Apr 9, 2020

With Willis transferring, the Gophers will be unwatchable.

This graduate transfer rule is lame.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 6416
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/20/2020 12:34:11 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

That isn't what the article is.....G League is willing to pay a kid 500k to learn how to be a pro. It is just the start. NCAA should be worried.

With the plan being to get rid of the "one and done" rule by the 2021 or 2022 draft, this is just a stopgap at best.
Post #: 6417
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/20/2020 2:17:47 PM  2 votes
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

That's good. College shouldn't be a place for professional athletes that have no intention of getting an education.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 6418
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/22/2020 9:50:49 AM   
TJSweens

Looks like Saturday is the day Kirwin Walton announces who he is choosing over the Gophers.

Post #: 6419
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/27/2020 7:55:21 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

Looks like Saturday is the day Kirwin Walton announces who he is choosing over the Gophers.

Annnnd…..

no decision from what I can see/read.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 6420
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/27/2020 7:58:57 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

Annnnd…..
no decision from what I can see/read.

Must really be weighing on him.....supposed to now happen this morning; according to Doogie.

Post #: 6421
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/27/2020 10:01:53 AM   
Mr. Ed

Doogie around 9:45am

Talked to Kerwin Walton Sr. Kerwin Jr. is starting to call coaches of programs he's not committing to, to thank them for recruiting him. Sounds like
@EvanDaniels
has worked it out to have the announcement. Kerwin Jr. will also post something on social. I'll chat w/ him later.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 6422
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/27/2020 10:27:52 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

Talked to Kerwin Walton Sr. Kerwin Jr. is starting to call coaches of programs he's not committing to, to thank them for recruiting him. Sounds like
@EvanDaniels
has worked it out to have the announcement. Kerwin Jr. will also post something on social. I'll chat w/ him later.

UNC.....BOO!

Post #: 6423
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/27/2020 10:53:35 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

quote:

@EvanDaniels

UNC.....BOO!

Scoreboard can fall on him too.

Great job Pitino!

Escape while you can!
Post #: 6424
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/27/2020 11:03:15 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

@EvanDaniels

UNC.....BOO!

Scoreboard can fall on him too.

Great job Pitino!

I switched my line of thinking. Fleck has shown that you can get good players to come to Minnesota. I want the scoreboard to fall on Pitino.

Post #: 6425
Page:   <<   < prev  255 256 [257] 258 259   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) Page: <<   < prev  255 256 [257] 258 259   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode