Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: RE:Gopher Hockey

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: RE:Gopher Hockey Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: RE:Gopher Hockey - 3/16/2008 9:26:42 PM   
Jason Dorn

Unreal three OTs in a row, incredible series, both teams deserve the bid.  Come on Gophers make it two in a row.

Skol ... Vikings can win the Super Bowl.
Post #: 51
RE: RE:Gopher Hockey - 3/16/2008 11:01:18 PM   
Jason Dorn

Some of the best hockey I have seen.  Both teams fought tooth and nail, both deserve that bid.  Nobody lost this weekend, great for Minnesota hockey. 

Hats off to both teams, tremendous effort.

GO GOPHERS!!!

Post #: 52
RE: RE:Gopher Hockey - 3/17/2008 7:22:18 AM   
Lynn G.

Fantastic series.  I wouldn't want to have had my blood pressure tested during last night's overtimes.  I agree with the sentiment above - both teams played well enough to advance and it's a shame that one didn't make it.  The Mankato goalie made some amazing stops and I felt bad for him at the end that he let the losing goal in.

But the Gophers played a great series and deserved the win.  Good job Gophers!

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 53
RE: RE:Gopher Hockey - 3/17/2008 9:25:55 AM   
Jeff Jesser

Nice series of the Tijuana Mavericks.  OLE OLE OLE OLE....

That was in all seriousness, one of the best played series of hockey games I've ever seen.  Bravo to both schools.
Post #: 54
RE: RE:Gopher Hockey - 3/17/2008 9:30:06 AM   
Jim Frenette

My only problem with the Gophers winning is that Paul Allen is on vacation this week and Jeff will be doing the show by himself so we have a week of listening to him non stop of Gopher Hockey and nothing else.

Fargo
Post #: 55
RE: RE:Gopher Hockey - 3/17/2008 10:02:58 AM   
So.Mn.Fan

Fantastic, fantastic series.
Man, that was fun hockey.
There was real passion there for over 250 minutes. Both teams should be very proud.
The Gophs are enjoying their new role. It's so much fun to see the work hard and get after people.
They didn't try to make pretty plays, they just gritted it out and got it done.
We stuck with 'em and they made, it Jason, congrats.
Road gets tougher with St Cloud ahead, but they can do it.
Wouldn't you know it, this is the year I didn't renew my Final 5 tickets (family conflict).
Really liked how the two teams did not engage in the usual crap after the whistle, etc.
There seemed to be a mutual respect out there. Yes, it was rough and everyone went hard to the net, but it was in the spirit of the game, not in anger or in retaliation. The refs stopped calling anything, and that works, as long as they don't suddenly start again.
Sports offer so many lessons. Look at a guy like Frazee, he loses his job, he gets publicly fried, and who was the first guy in the pile at the end? Him. There was a joy in those two pile-ups the last two nights that has been missing since the Potulneys and Koalskas moved on. You have to have that passion and joy to be the best. It's back. They moved up in the pairwise rankings and look very good for getting a NCAA bid also. Win the Final 5 and it takes care of itself.
Big nights from some guys that disappeared lately. Patrick White will be a special player before he is done, he had a very solid night. Wheeler is just a beast out there. These games are really gonna help him take the next step. he is our one real threat. It was crucial for Flynn to get it going, and he did. And the coaches kid just keeps proving his haters wrong. Good kid who works hard.
You could see the cream rise this weekend. The Mavs looked better the first couple periods of the series, I remember saying "oh-oh", but from that point on, the Gophers just had better, stronger, more talented players. Those type of players just take time and space away and don't allow for plays to be made. Every Mav chance after that was just a throw-in and crash, they couldn't make plays, they couldn't set the powerplay.
Didn't stop 'em from grinding, tho. Jutting has built a solid squad there who is still young.
And I can't stop smiling about Kangas. The kid dreamed his whole life to play for the Gophers and he never stopped believing he could. He was incredible this weekend. Calm and athletic and unflappable. Took several nasty runs at him and just kept stopping the puck. Every goal they scored against was understandable.
When you believe in your goalie, you can go a long way.
Go Gophers!      
Post #: 56
RE: RE:Gopher Hockey - 3/17/2008 11:08:13 AM   
Congratulations to the Gophers....to bad MN State had to lose.  Great Series.  Players had to all be totally exhausted at the end of the game.

Gotta pull for my alma matter UND in the final five but if its not UND, then go Gophers.
  Post #: 57
RE: RE:Gopher Hockey - 3/17/2008 12:39:44 PM   
Jim Frenette

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miles K

Congratulations to the Gophers....to bad MN State had to lose.  Great Series.  Players had to all be totally exhausted at the end of the game.

Gotta pull for my alma matter UND in the final five but if its not UND, then go Gophers.

I can't believe a UND grad said that. I have 4 cousins + their spouces that graduated from there, plus a brother that attended there and I would never hear anything like that from them.

Fargo
Post #: 58
RE: RE:Gopher Hockey - 3/17/2008 12:53:11 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Any word on Pohl condition?
Post #: 59
RE: RE:Gopher Hockey - 3/17/2008 1:02:22 PM   
So.Mn.Fan

Gophers men's hockey: Tom Pohl suffers skull fracture
By Bruce Brothers
bbrothers@pioneerpress.com
Article Last Updated: 03/17/2008 12:35:41 PM CDT

Minnesota goalie Alex Kangas watches as teammate Tom Pohl is wheeled off the ice after being injured during the second period of a hockey game against Minnesota State, Mankato on Sunday, March 16, 2008, in Mankato, Minn. (AP Photo/Mankato Free Press, Pat Christman) (ASSOCIATED PRESS)

Gophers senior forward Tom Pohl is in intensive care after brain surgery at St. Mary's Hospital in Rochester today.
Pohl was elbowed to the ice and injured during Minnesota's 3-2 double-overtime victory over Minnesota State Sunday in Mankato.
Pohl sustained a skull fracture when his head hit the boards in front of the team's bench at 6:09 of the second period. The injury resulted in bleeding on the brain and Pohl was airlifted to St. Mary's Hospital.
Successful surgery was performed to stop the bleeding and stabilize the fracture. Pohl remains at the hospital for further observation.
"We are very fortunate that he has tremendous medical care," said Gophers coach Don Lucia, who is in Rochester with Pohl and his family. "We're looking forward to him returning to school at 100 percent and our thoughts and prayers remain with Tom and the Pohl family."
Pohl was elbowed in the head by MSU's Jason Wiley, and his helmet came off as he fell to the ice face first. Wiley received a major penalty for elbowing to the head and was disqualified from the game.

< Message edited by So.Mn.Fan -- 3/17/2008 1:03:22 PM >
Post #: 60
RE: RE:Gopher Hockey - 3/17/2008 1:10:03 PM   
Lynn G.

Oh my goodness - a skull fracture! It looked bad because he slumped to the ice as if he was out cold the instant he was hit. Let's hope the doctors were able to successfully drain the bleeding on the brain and he will fully recover.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 61
RE: RE:Gopher Hockey - 3/17/2008 1:55:59 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Wow, thanks for the update SMF.  That sucks.  I didn't think it would be that bad.
Post #: 62
RE: RE:Gopher Hockey - 3/17/2008 1:58:29 PM   
So.Mn.Fan

Thoughts and prayers, huh?
Wow, hockey is the greatest game, and the most dangerous.
Unfortunately we are reminded of that from time to time.
The Pohl family has been wonderful fro MN hockey.
It's time they got love and support back.
Glad to hear Coach Lucia was with them this morning.
Post #: 63
RE: RE:Gopher Hockey - 3/17/2008 2:07:47 PM   
So.Mn.Fan

From the Strib

Gophers hockey player Tom Pohl was in intensive care today at St. Mary's Hospital in Rochester after surgery for bleeding on his brain and a skull fracture .
Pohl, a senior forward, was injured Sunday night in the Gophers' 3-2, double-overtime victory at Minnesota State, Mankato. He was elbowed by the Mavericks' Jason Wiley six minutes into the second period.
Pohl lost his helmet as he was falling and apparently hit the dasher in front of the Gophers' bench. There was a 13-minute delay as Pohl, who had a large gash on his forehead and was also bleeding from his nose, was immobilized and taken off in a stretcher. Wiley received a major penalty for contact to the head and a game disqualification.
Pohl was airlifted from Mankato to St. Mary's. Surgery there successfully stopped the bleeding and stabilized the fracture, according to University of Minnesota athletic officials.
"We are very fortunate that he has tremendous medical care," Minnesota coach Don Lucia said in a statement. "We' re looking forward to him returning to school at 100 percent and our thoughts and prayers remain with Tom and the Pohl family."
Lucia planned to drive to Rochester today.
Pohl usually plays on the Gophers' fourth line and kills penalties. He played high school hockey at Red Wing. He is the younger brother of John Pohl, also a former University of Minnesota player, who is with the NHL's Toronto Maple Leafs.
The Gophers won the best-of-three series against the Mavericks 2-1 and advanced to the WCHA Final Five on Thursday in St. Paul.
Pohl's teammates were informed about his condition when the team bus arrived in Minneapolis early Monday morning, team captain Derek Peltier said.
"It's real scary to see," said Peltier, a senior defenseman. "We are going to keep him in our thoughts and prayers. But he's in good hands. We're going to pray and wish him and his family the best.
"[Pohl] was full of energy and he added a lot of heart to the team. We are definitely going to miss him."
Peltier called the intense series with the Mavericks, in general, clean hockey. Each of the three games went into overtime.
ROMAN AUGUSTOVIZ
Post #: 64
RE: RE:Gopher Hockey - 3/17/2008 3:49:15 PM   
Jeff Jesser

My first thought was of the 18 year old playing in his very first game for BU.  He went in head first and busted his neck.  Pohl fell that same sort of way (where he just crumbles with no resistance).  I had high hopes though because Wooger said he gave some sort of thumbs up and he went off.  I thought/hoped they were just being cautious with the stretcher.
Post #: 65
RE: RE:Gopher Hockey - 3/17/2008 5:27:09 PM   
So.Mn.Fan

Yep, travis Roy's career lasted 11 seconds.
He has gone on to great things.
As someone who has spent an entire night sitting beside his son in a hospital bed from a hockey injury, let me tell you that you never look at it the same after that.
And by "it" I mean hockey, life, everything.
We got lucky. So many don't. Hang in there, Tommy.
Post #: 66
RE: RE:Gopher Hockey - 3/17/2008 6:28:18 PM   
So.Mn.Fan

Latest is... upgraded to fair condition, resting after the surgery.
Recovery starts.
Post #: 67
RE: RE:Gopher Hockey - 3/17/2008 9:23:36 PM   
Jason Dorn

The reports in the game were a broken nose, nothing like that.  Lord please take care of this young man, his family, teammates, and comfort Jason Wiley.  Great news on the fair condition.  Just great.  Thanks. 

Post #: 68
RE: RE:Gopher Hockey - 3/18/2008 9:11:17 AM   
So.Mn.Fan

Update from the Strib this morning

Gophers men's hockey player Tom Pohl was in intensive care Monday at St. Marys Hospital in Rochester after surgery for bleeding on his brain and a skull fracture.
Pohl, a senior forward, was injured Sunday night in the Gophers' 3-2 double-overtime victory at Minnesota State Mankato. He was elbowed by the Mavericks' Jason Wiley six minutes into the second period.
Pohl lost his helmet as he was falling and appeared to hit the dasher in front of the Gophers bench. There was a 13-minute delay as Pohl, who had a large gash on his forehead and was also bleeding from his nose, was immobilized and taken off in a stretcher. Wiley received a major penalty for contact to the head and a game disqualification.
Pohl was airlifted from Mankato to St. Marys. Surgery there successfully stopped the bleeding and stabilized the fracture, according to University of Minnesota athletic officials. The hospital listed his condition Monday night as fair.
"Obviously, the injury was caused because of the helmet coming off," said Gophers coach Don Lucia after driving to Rochester to visit Pohl. "Whether he hit his head on the sideboards or the ice, it was serious. He was in good hands. They did the surgery [Sunday] night."
Lucia continued: "He seems like he is doing better. I did not get there until mid-afternoon [after a team meeting]. He was becoming much more responsive, and you were able to talk to him."
Pohl was happy the Gophers had won, but player and coach talked little about the game
"When you see someone laid up like he is, wins and losses do not mean a lot," Lucia said.
MSU Mankato athletic director Kevin Buisman issued a statement that said: "... We want to express our deepest care and concern for Tom Pohl and his family. They will be in our thoughts and prayers as we continue to monitor his medical progress, and we want to extend our best wishes for a complete and full recovery."
Pohl usually plays on the Gophers' fourth line and kills penalties. He played high school hockey at Red Wing. He is the younger brother of John Pohl, a former All-America player with the Gophers who now plays for the Toronto Maple Leafs. John Pohl left his NHL team on Monday to fly to Rochester.
The Gophers won the best-of-three series against the Mavericks 2-1 and advanced to the WCHA Final Five starting Thursday in St. Paul.
Pohl's teammates were informed about his condition when the team bus arrived in Minneapolis early Monday morning, team captain Derek Peltier said.
"It's real scary to see," said Peltier, a senior defenseman. "He was full of energy and he added a lot of heart to the team. We are definitely going to miss him."
Pohl played in a career-high 34 games this season. And although his playing career with the Gophers is over, his coach said there might be a chance of Pohl accompanying the team if the postseason extends beyond this week's Final Five.
"We're hoping right now he comes back," Lucia said. "That if we make the NCAA [tournament], he accompanies the team. We're keeping our fingers crossed."
Post #: 69
RE: RE:Gopher Hockey - 3/18/2008 1:09:43 PM   
So.Mn.Fan

Good stuff from Bruce Brothers of the PP....
brighter day today.

Tom Pohl lay in a hospital bed Monday after emergency brain surgery and wanted to talk a little hockey.
What else: Pohl belongs to one of the first families of Minnesota hockey.
A senior forward for the University of Minnesota men's hockey team, Pohl was recovering in fair condition Monday evening at St. Marys Hospital in Rochester, Minn. Fair condition means "a favorable prognosis," according to a hospital spokesperson, and includes vital signs within normal limits.
In the scariest of moments, Pohl was knocked off his feet in front of the team bench and suffered a skull fracture Sunday night in Minnesota's double-overtime Western Collegiate Hockey Association playoff game in Mankato, Minn. He was taken to a Mankato hospital, then airlifted to St. Marys, which is affiliated with the Mayo Clinic.
Gophers coach Don Lucia, who visited Pohl on Monday afternoon, said he stepped into the room not knowing what to expect. The man in the bed had his eyes swollen shut, his head wrapped in bandages and his body bruised.
"It was hard to see," Lucia said, adding that Pohl "was more alert than I thought he would be."
Pohl, of course, demanded details about the Gophers' 3-2 victory over the Mavericks.
"He was happy that we won," Lucia said. "He was concerned about that."
One of the Gophers' most popular players whose family name forever will be linked to hockey in Minnesota, Pohl was hurt after he rifled the puck into the Mavericks' zone about six minutes
into the second period. He was hit by the elbow of Mavericks forward Jason Wiley, his helmet flew off and he hit face first against the top of the sideboards, then fell face first to the ice, unconscious.
"I did not see the hit," Lucia said, "but obviously, when you look down and see the scene, you knew it was serious."
Pohl, 23, is the son of former Red Wing High School hockey coach Jim Pohl, who coached Tom and his brother, former Gophers All-American Johnny Pohl, now a member of the Toronto Maple Leafs. Johnny Pohl's wife is former Olympian Krissy Wendell, another former Gophers All-American and Patty Kazmaier Award winner as player of the year in women's hockey.
The family — members declined media requests for interviews — rushed to be at Tom's side, including Johnny and his wife, who flew in from Toronto. Johnny Pohl is on injured reserve because of a sprained ankle and is not currently in the Maple Leafs' lineup.
Two years ago, Tom Pohl talked about how he never would approach the level of his big brother, who twice led the nation's collegians in scoring, but he was OK with that. Said Johnny at the time about his brother: "He's a really good kid. He's there for all the right reasons; he's there for the program and to contribute."
Lucia on Monday echoed those sentiments.
"Tommy is a positive kid and a tremendous student, everything you want in a student-athlete," he said. "I've told kids to stay close to Tommy, because some day you're going to be working for him."
Lucia met with his players before driving to Rochester, and Gophers senior captain Derek Peltier said it was "real shocking to the whole team," to learn about the severity of their teammate's condition. "There's not a whole lot we can do now but keep him in our thoughts and prayers."
Pohl, who on Friday was named to the WCHA all-academic team for the third year in a row, is a team favorite who has been a four-year role player at Minnesota. He notched one goal and five assists in 34 games this season and has career totals of four goals and 11 assists for 15 points.
Pohl may have played on the fourth line, but his attitude was top shelf, Peltier said. "He's a positive guy with just so much energy. He just loves life."
According to Peltier, Gophers players believe the injury was caused by a freak accident following the hit by Wiley, a junior for the Mavericks who played high school hockey at Bloomington Kennedy.
"I don't think there was any intent to hurt anyone," Peltier said.
Injured Gophers forward Ryan Stoa, who has been sidelined since Minnesota's second game and watched the game from press row Sunday night, said he played youth hockey with Wiley, and when he talked to the Mankato player after the game, "He was shaken up."
Wiley's father, John, who lives in Mound, said he wanted to take his son to dinner after the game, "but he wouldn't even eat. The first thing he said to me was, 'Dad, I don't know this kid personally, but I want to get his number.' Jason definitely wants to get a hold of him just to assure him there was no intent in any way."
Anyone who witnessed Pohl being strapped to a gurney and wheeled off the ice Sunday was concerned. Kevin Buisman, the director of athletics at Minnesota State, issued a statement Monday:
"On behalf of Maverick hockey, Minnesota State athletics and the entire university, we want to express our deepest care and concern for Tom Pohl and his family. They will be in our thoughts and prayers as we continue to monitor his medical progress, and we want to extend our best wishes for a complete and full recovery."
Recovery is entirely possible, according to Robert Sevenich, the medical director of brain injury services at Bethesda Hospital.
Sevenich, who said he does not know the specific details of Pohl's injury, listened to a description of the how the injury occurred and information from the University of Minnesota's news release and said, "I know people who have had that happen and they have a good recovery.
"It is a serious injury," he added, but Pohl has three things going for him: "He's young and he's probably in incredibly good shape and he has an incredible amount of fight."
But the doctor declined to downplay other possibilities.
"I'll say a prayer for him tonight," he said.

Mankato has some good people working for them.
Lucia is a caring, decent man.
Jeff brought up a good point this morning, that no one probably felt worse than the young man who was involved in the hit, (Jason Wiley), you can bet that. Hockey players all belong to a brotherhood of sorts, and no good one wants another to be injured because of him.

Post #: 70
RE: RE:Gopher Hockey - 3/18/2008 1:14:15 PM   
So.Mn.Fan

Tommy Pohl graduated in 3 years at the U.
Lucia's statement about "working for him one day" is probably dead-on.
So many great kids never play on, but go on to be the leaders of tomorrow.
Amazing kid who deserves all the attention he is getting.
His brother was a flat-out star, but he never let that eat him up.
Cut his own path and made it a great one.
Post #: 71
RE: RE:Gopher Hockey - 3/20/2008 6:53:33 PM   
Jason Dorn

GO GOPHERS

Take it to the Huskies!!!!!

Post #: 72
RE: RE:Gopher Hockey - 3/20/2008 7:22:10 PM   
So.Mn.Fan

Stop in tonight and fill me in, Jason....
I get to work.
Biggest Gopher hockey fan I know, and I get to work.
Did I mention I'm at work?
Loving this team right now, would be nice to see another couple wins.
Got the NCAA qualifying out of the way, so it's all gravy, boys.
Post #: 73
RE: RE:Gopher Hockey - 3/20/2008 8:19:29 PM   
So.Mn.Fan

Gophers up 2-1 in the second period!!!!!!!!
Post #: 74
RE: RE:Gopher Hockey - 3/20/2008 8:25:12 PM   
Jason Dorn

2-1 Gophers, very sharp in the first period.

SCSU only goal on a 4 on 3.

Kengas looks sharp.

Gophers missed two breakaways in the first.

Passing for Gophers very sharp.

SCSU currently on a 5-3 with 6 min in the second

Post #: 75
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: RE:Gopher Hockey Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode