Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Gopher Football

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Football Page: <<   < prev  270 271 [272] 273 274   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Gopher Football - 9/3/2015 11:38:24 PM   
JT2

Finally, a play. Short but better than the 4 yard runs, down by 13
Post #: 6776
RE: Gopher Football - 9/3/2015 11:39:56 PM   
David Levine

How do you overthrow a 6'10 player on that short of a throw?
Post #: 6777
RE: Gopher Football - 9/3/2015 11:40:50 PM   
JT2

Offense like we are ahead. My goodness.

If O can ever come close to catching up with the D, we could be good.
Post #: 6778
RE: Gopher Football - 9/3/2015 11:41:39 PM   
David Levine

If the offense could even reach mediocre, we'd be good.
Post #: 6779
RE: Gopher Football - 9/3/2015 11:46:56 PM   
JT2

This pace and sense of urgency is one possession too late.
Post #: 6780
RE: Gopher Football - 9/3/2015 11:48:04 PM   
David Levine

Just got kind of interesting....
Post #: 6781
RE: Gopher Football - 9/3/2015 11:49:59 PM   
David Levine

That was an ugly throw for the TD...
Post #: 6782
RE: Gopher Football - 9/3/2015 11:50:42 PM   
JT2

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

Just got kind of interesting....

Would have been nice to tax their defense a little earlier
Post #: 6783
RE: Gopher Football - 9/3/2015 11:51:16 PM   
JT2

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

That was an ugly throw for the TD...

TebowPonderish.
Post #: 6784
RE: Gopher Football - 9/3/2015 11:56:31 PM   
David Levine

You have to make that throw...
Post #: 6785
RE: Gopher Football - 9/3/2015 11:57:05 PM   
David Levine

Then the attempt at the dump off INT...
Post #: 6786
RE: Gopher Football - 9/3/2015 11:58:07 PM   
David Levine

And it ends with a whimper.
Post #: 6787
RE: Gopher Football - 9/3/2015 11:59:37 PM   
bstinger

closer than it should've been. If only we had a QB.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 6788
RE: Gopher Football - 9/4/2015 12:00:56 AM   
Steve Lentz

Lose by 6 points to the #2 rated team in the country. Kill continues to impress me.
Minnesota is the favorite in the West.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 6789
RE: Gopher Football - 9/4/2015 12:01:14 AM   
JT2

No moral victory as far as I'm concerned.

Defense is the real deal.

TCU's defense is not good, and we really struggled.

Really impressed with our D.

Equally frustrated with our O.
Post #: 6790
RE: Gopher Football - 9/4/2015 12:05:35 AM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: JT2

Yup. To all of it.
Post #: 6791
RE: Gopher Football - 9/4/2015 8:44:57 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: JT2

Well did you really expect anything different than what you saw from our offense? Leidner is not suddenly gonna be a different QB.

If we had a couple more timeouts and a few more minutes, we would have had a legit chance. Our defense was outstanding. I was pretty happy overall. I think those RBs and Leidner's ability to run will win us some B10 games. I don't know that we're really the favorites in the West. Everyone is dismissing Wisconsin. We haven't beat Wisconsin in over a decade. Wisconsin is ranked. The Gophers are not. They beat us (with some help from the officials, of course) last season in a must-win regular season finale. And don't forget the officials I just mentioned. We will always need to overcome them in the B10. Unfortunately that is a factor for us whenever we play a team like Wisconsin, Nebraska, Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan or Michigan State. Even Iowa gets the calls over us. Hate to say it, but it's true.
Post #: 6792
RE: Gopher Football - 9/4/2015 10:40:24 AM   
Karl Juhnke

Happy with the defense. The secondary was very good. Those guys they were up against are real thoroughbreds, and the Gophers held them in check likely better than anyone will all year.

Need to figure out the offense though. Sub par play from Liedner and an offense that's struggling to figure out its identity.
Post #: 6793
RE: Gopher Football - 9/4/2015 10:40:25 AM   
Jeff Jesser

You guys have said it all. I mentioned earlier that we would need to score points, and that was the case, but we didn't even need to score THAT MANY points. D held them but the O was pathetic. They were also missing their best 2 guys on D.
Post #: 6794
RE: Gopher Football - 9/4/2015 2:45:46 PM   
Mr. Ed

http://www.si.com/college-football/2015/09/04/tcu-minnesota-season-opener-college-football-playoff-resume

MINNEAPOLIS — Not far from the site of second-ranked TCU’s rugged 23–17 win on Thursday night, there is a bus stop, from which any individual with a couple bucks in his or her pocket can begin a short journey to the Minnesota State Fair. And there, for a couple more bucks, patrons can indulge in some local delicacies. Like deep-fried ribs. Or the Italian Dessert Nachos, which comprise cinnamon sugar cannoli chips with ricotta cheese filling that are covered in fruit, chocolate, nuts and candy. Or, even better, the Maple Bacon Funnel Cake, which is funnel cake infused with bacon pieces, then covered with more bacon pieces. It is as frightful and invigorating as it sounds.

So the lesson here is that maybe visiting Minnesota is just about getting out alive, debilitating heartburn notwithstanding.

COLLEGE FOOTBALL
tcu-beats-minnesota

Three and Out: Defense carries TCU past Minnesota for win in opener
by Brian Hamilton

From this perspective, there was nothing too terribly surprising or alarming about the Horned Frogs’ season-opening effort against the host Gophers. If participation in the College Football Playoff relied on a one-game audition in early September, well, even then a reasonable appraisal of TCU would be a favorable one. The defense lost six starters and was without the services of two others due to injury, and it effectively controlled the game anyway. An offense that averaged 46.5 points per game last year didn’t approach that level of efficiency, but the problems appeared fixable: overthrows and false starts and more, but nothing as corrosive as a lack of talent anywhere. And Minnesota is a team that could win its division—admittedly, this may be faint praise for Big Ten West denizens—for which a record 54,147 expectant souls packed TCF Bank Stadium. If TCU made it an easy night, that would have been a significant statement.
It was not easy, though, and the evidence points to another conclusion: The Horned Frogs won a tough game and still can improve substantially, when injured personnel return and healthy personnel play to full capability. And never again will they enter a game unclear about a No. 2 ranking and how it works to weigh one team down and free the other.

“This is what we expected,” TCU defensive end Josh Carraway said. “This is what comes with it. This is what we have to deal with.”

And, again, if we’re being somewhat sane about what transpired Thursday, there should be optimism that the Horned Frogs can deal with it properly.

Minnesota has some evident deficiencies in speed and game-breakers, but it seems as though Gary Patterson has Gary Patterson’d his defense. Gone were those half-dozen starters. Defensive tackle Davion Pierson and defensive end James McFarland were sidelined due to injury. For the better part of the game, TCU had a true freshman (Mike Freeze) and a redshirt freshman (Ty Summers) at linebacker. And that defense permitted one touchdown and less than 250 total yards in the first 57 minutes of the game.

For a night, the kinetic, game-breaking unit was not the one quarterbacked by a Heisman Trophy hopeful. A strip-sack by defensive end Terrell Lathan set up the first Horned Frogs touchdown. TCU later forced another fumble with Minnesota driving inside the five-yard line, the ball bouncing out of the end zone for a touchback and another gut punch to a Gophers team scraping by for any yards at all. This was a retooled and shorthanded bunch that established a tone early—Minnesota amassed just 10 rushing yards in the first quarter, dumping a trough of cold water on the idea of a fast start—and didn’t relent much after that. “You’d have to feel like you’re pretty happy,” Patterson said of the defense’s performance, all things considered.
Naturally, that defense will need help. It is fair to assume it will come.

Josh Doctson barely participated in preseason practices due to various ailments. He is still working back into proper game fitness. And the 1,000-yard receiver led TCU with seven catches Thursday while also securing a game-sealing onside kick.

Likewise, if Trevone Boykin did not throw 33 touchdown passes last year, perhaps you could be a little less sanguine after watching the senior airmail not one but two potential scoring tosses against Minnesota.

“They were so open, I might have been able to throw it,” Patterson said. “You have to make those plays. You have to make those plays in big ball games.”

These were indeed egregious mistakes. The nearest defenders were stationed in Bemidji. Such misses are, typically, gutting errors against good teams.

And yet there were Boykin and TCU after the fact, decidedly not gutted. “Just wide open guys,” Boykin said. “Too anxious, or whatever you want to call it. It’s something that just can’t happen if you want to go on the road and win games.”

Of course, it happened, and the Horned Frogs went on the road and won a game regardless. It happened, and presumably it won’t happen again with regularity. The player considered one of the best quarterbacks in the country almost certainly will perform more efficiently. That will support a defense that already looks fine-tuned, with more reinforcements coming. The team that won a national championship a year ago did so because it had talent that coalesced and improved by the week. The team that won Thursday similarly has plenty of room for progression, only a loss to a major-conference team wasn’t required for it to realize that.
“I’m sure I won’t be happy by about 5 o’clock tomorrow after I watch both sides of the ball,” Patterson said. “But right now, I’m just glad I’m getting on an airplane with something in the left-hand column instead of the right. A lot of people wanted this to be an upset. For us to come out with a win, I’ll take it as a positive.”

How this fits into the College Football Playoff puzzle for TCU is absolutely impossible to forecast in September. An overreaction to the errors and the tight final score may cost the Horned Frogs in the short term. In the longer term this might be the game that puts them in the title chase they were denied last winter. Who knows?

The only sure thing was the result. It was well after midnight when Patterson was asked if he had players smiling in his locker room, happy to survive. The TCU coach said he didn’t know. He said he didn’t ask. All he told them, he said, was that they won.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 6795
RE: Gopher Football - 9/4/2015 6:02:34 PM   
Jeff Jesser

I tell ya what. For a team that has, pretty much, not offense, we are getting a lot of love in the national media. I've heard 3 different shows now say things like "they are a lock to win the West".
Post #: 6796
RE: Gopher Football - 9/4/2015 6:03:40 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Around the Horn on ESPN. They were talking about OSU repeating and one of the guys says "not so fast. They still have to play MN and that's no gimme".
Post #: 6797
RE: Gopher Football - 9/4/2015 6:06:03 PM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

Around the Horn on ESPN. They were talking about OSU repeating and one of the guys says "not so fast. They still have to play MN and that's no gimme".

People are respecting Kill and the Gophers.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 6798
RE: Gopher Football - 9/4/2015 6:38:15 PM   
Jeff Jesser

I appreciate the love for the program but I think it's a bit misguided, for now. You can't be serious with this passing offense.
Post #: 6799
RE: Gopher Football - 9/4/2015 8:13:58 PM   
TJSweens

This game was clearly an opportunity lost. I appreciate the fact that the program has progressed to the point that we can be pissed off at not beating the #2 team in the country, but at some point they have to take that next step and win some of those big games, This was a signature win waiting to happen and they failed to seize the opportunity.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 6800
Page:   <<   < prev  270 271 [272] 273 274   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Football Page: <<   < prev  270 271 [272] 273 274   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode