Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Gopher Football

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Football Page: <<   < prev  307 308 [309] 310 311   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Gopher Football - 10/2/2016 6:16:38 AM   
Mr. Ed

Aww poor PState kicker. Went from flattening guys to getting hit a few times and the little Lions didn't like it.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 7701
RE: Gopher Football - 10/2/2016 7:54:40 AM   
Black 47

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

They had the lead with 54 seconds to go and Penn State no time outs at their own 20. Losing that game is a joke

That long QB scramble was completely unacceptable. Gophs once again get what they deserve.
Post #: 7702
RE: Gopher Football - 10/2/2016 7:59:54 AM   
Black 47

Pay up for the big time coaches and you get a winning program. Go on the cheap and hire small college coaches and you get what you get. The university gets what they get because they're not committed to winning. Football and basketball program an utter joke since the late 80's for BB and the 60's in FB.

Who ever would have thought many would consider the glen mason era the glory years?
Post #: 7703
RE: Gopher Football - 10/2/2016 11:52:32 AM   
MarkWren

Hideous loss yesterday to an obviously inferior and banged up PSU team. I'm seeing some things about this squad that I did not see under Jerry Kill, and I'm concerned:

Tackling has tailed off. It's still decent, but not at the superior level it was under JK. Penalties--too many LOS violations. Personal fouls. Stupid stuff. DB's who almost always fail to get their eyes on the ball, easy PI call for the officials most times. Inability to rush the passer. Close ain't the same as a sack. Hope we get Devers back soon!

We desperately need some athletes at the WR spot, in particular. Seems almost no one can get separation, or adjust to the ball in the air. Other teams all seem to have 2 guys who are 6'2" or better, with range, speed, and hands. They get open. They catch the ball with their hands. Just a shame to see Mitch in his senior year with no one to throw to.
Post #: 7704
RE: Gopher Football - 10/2/2016 1:43:37 PM   
Black 47

The Kill worship is ridiculous. He was just as pitiful as Claeys.

Kill had one decent season 2014.
Post #: 7705
RE: Gopher Football - 10/2/2016 9:28:03 PM   
MarkWren

Ah, I see. Suggesting that the fundamentals--including tackling, positioning, and discipline--seem to have tapered off under Claeys is tantamount to "Kill worship"? Talk about a leap!

However, Kill was never "pitiful" at any level of his career. He never quite recruited well enough to vault us into the upper tier of this conference, but we were trending in the right direction until his health issues overcame him. His teams almost always played hard, disciplined football. They did not beat themselves! Tracy had better get this stuff cleaned up or we'll be looking outside for another HC.

The loss yesterday was reminiscent of many suffered during the Mason era. Implosion. Bewilderment on the sideline. Inability to close a game. The Grinster was there in spirit, alright. Some "glory years" those were....
Post #: 7706
RE: Gopher Football - 10/3/2016 11:25:21 AM   
SoMnFan

There goes the easiest route to a good season, ever.
Ugh
Sigh
And
Damnnnn.
Claeys is a clown show at this point. I'm not giving up on hm, but he's a clown show, IMO.
Let's see now, what he's got.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 7707
RE: Gopher Football - 10/3/2016 11:27:41 AM   
SoMnFan

Agree mark
Shades of GLEN MASON FACE
I've been horrified by Claeys' late game decisions ... And then I've been told he's got it.
Leaning more my way at this point. Once again, let's see where this goes.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 7708
RE: Gopher Football - 10/3/2016 2:19:05 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

Aww poor PState kicker. Went from flattening guys to getting hit a few times and the little Lions didn't like it.

Big tub of goo doesn't like it when people hit back.
P.o.s.
Got what he had comin. And there's more comin.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 7709
RE: Gopher Football - 10/3/2016 2:19:24 PM   
Corleone

quote:

ORIGINAL: Black 47

Pay up for the big time coaches and you get a winning program. Go on the cheap and hire small college coaches and you get what you get. The university gets what they get because they're not committed to winning. Football and basketball program an utter joke since the late 80's for BB and the 60's in FB.

Who ever would have thought many would consider the glen mason era the glory years?

THIS.

Been that way forever, don't see how it ever changes.

U of M Regents <> Pohlads

Total
System
Failure
Post #: 7710
RE: Gopher Football - 10/3/2016 2:21:05 PM   
SoMnFan

Les Miles.
Available.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 7711
RE: Gopher Football - 10/3/2016 2:21:06 PM   
drew

quote:

ORIGINAL: MarkWren

Ah, I see. Suggesting that the fundamentals--including tackling, positioning, and discipline--seem to have tapered off under Claeys is tantamount to "Kill worship"? Talk about a leap!

However, Kill was never "pitiful" at any level of his career. He never quite recruited well enough to vault us into the upper tier of this conference, but we were trending in the right direction until his health issues overcame him. His teams almost always played hard, disciplined football. They did not beat themselves! Tracy had better get this stuff cleaned up or we'll be looking outside for another HC.

The loss yesterday was reminiscent of many suffered during the Mason era. Implosion. Bewilderment on the sideline. Inability to close a game. The Grinster was there in spirit, alright. Some "glory years" those were....

I agree with you in that we are lacking the discipline we've become used to under Kill. We never had the talent of the upper teams in the conference but we usually didn't beat ourselves. That is slipping, and your example of tackling is very on point. It seems like we have more ill timed penalties, we have a starting CB suspended right now. More concerning for Claeys, and what will be his ultimate downfall, is that we are not having a good year yet recruiting. I think the new AD is very likely to shake things up after this year unless we are 9-3 or better. AD's know that the football program is the most important program and he's going to want his own guy in there unless he politically can't get rid of Claeys because of a great season. Very small buyout, IIRC.
Post #: 7712
RE: Gopher Football - 10/3/2016 2:22:20 PM   
drew

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

Agree mark
I've been horrified by Claeys' late game decisions ... And then I've been told he's got it.

Most concerning aspect of his coaching has been late game decisions. Some real head scratchers. I'm more than leaning your way on this.
Post #: 7713
RE: Gopher Football - 10/3/2016 2:23:31 PM   
drew

quote:

quote:

Big tub of goo doesn't like it when people hit back.
P.o.s.
Got what he had comin. And there's more comin.

Absolutely. If you want to run down the field like you're one of the guys, don't act like you've been hit by a missile when someone actually fights back.
Post #: 7714
RE: Gopher Football - 10/3/2016 2:25:55 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: drew

quote:

Agree mark

Most concerning aspect of his coaching has been late game decisions. Some real head scratchers. I'm more than leaning your way on this.

I've screamed HORRIFIC at some of them ... Then been told to calm down
Michigan last year ...
The first game this year ...
Just HORRIFC decisions late IMO.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 7715
RE: Gopher Football - 10/3/2016 2:31:03 PM   
drew

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: drew

quote:

Agree mark

I've screamed HORRIFIC at some of them ... Then been told to calm down
Michigan last year ...
The first game this year ...
Just HORRIFC decisions late IMO.

Yep. Michigan last year there's no justification at all. I think we got one play off in 20 seconds from the 1 yd line, and that was after a review where we had a free timeout to get the plan set up. The Oregon St. game this year was crazy but wasn't has crazy.

Funny you bring up Les Miles. He might be the one guy on par with crazy asinine game management decisions! The difference is you'll have dudes running all over the field making plays instead of 2 star guys. I think MN is further down than he's going to fall though.
Post #: 7716
RE: Gopher Football - 10/3/2016 2:32:26 PM   
SoMnFan

I'm basically hoping for a Lou Holtz type resume-builder hire.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 7717
RE: Gopher Football - 10/3/2016 2:32:50 PM   
SoMnFan

As in ... You won THERE?

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 7718
RE: Gopher Football - 10/3/2016 2:34:51 PM   
drew

Kind of like a Jerry Kill type hire, huh??
Post #: 7719
RE: Gopher Football - 10/3/2016 4:54:19 PM   
SoMnFan

Btw nice to see Boddy-Calhoun with some really nice plays yesterday. Getting his NFL shot and making the most of it.
Well, kind of NFL. It's the Browns. But anyway.
Proud of all the Gopher alums.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 7720
RE: Gopher Football - 10/8/2016 8:43:21 AM   
SoMnFan

Big one today.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 7721
RE: Gopher Football - 10/8/2016 10:00:02 AM   
stfrank

Since I watched last week's disappointment, I think I will pass on today's game. They always seem to do better when I don't watch and just check in on the score every once in a while anyways.
Post #: 7722
RE: Gopher Football - 10/8/2016 10:42:36 AM   
drew

I like our chances today.... What is wrong with me?
Post #: 7723
RE: Gopher Football - 10/8/2016 12:13:35 PM   
Mr. Ed

Late first half...Leidner still sucks.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 7724
RE: Gopher Football - 10/8/2016 12:22:23 PM   
drew

quote:

Late first half...Leidner still sucks.

Just awful. He locks onto guys so much. Luckily Iowa is almost as bad.

We should win this game. I think if we can get one big play we'll start to roll.
Post #: 7725
Page:   <<   < prev  307 308 [309] 310 311   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Football Page: <<   < prev  307 308 [309] 310 311   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode