Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Gopher Football

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Football Page: <<   < prev  512 513 [514] 515 516   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Gopher Football - 12/14/2020 11:24:01 AM   
SoMnFan

Found this interesting

LATEST GAME IN LINCOLN

It was the first December game in Memorial Stadium history. The weather fit the time of year. About 3 inches of snow fell overnight and was piled behind the sidelines. The temperature was 32 degrees with a light north breeze at kickoff. The stadium opened in 1923.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 12826
RE: Gopher Football - 12/14/2020 11:33:37 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

Found this interesting

LATEST GAME IN LINCOLN

It was the first December game in Memorial Stadium history. The weather fit the time of year. About 3 inches of snow fell overnight and was piled behind the sidelines. The temperature was 32 degrees with a light north breeze at kickoff. The stadium opened in 1923.

So it was Nebraska's first home loss in december.

Cool

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12827
RE: Gopher Football - 12/14/2020 11:35:43 AM   
SoMnFan

We're 1-0 in Lincoln in December, BABY !!!!!!

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 12828
RE: Gopher Football - 12/14/2020 11:47:21 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

Yep, that's HISTORY!!

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12829
RE: Gopher Football - 12/14/2020 11:48:02 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

quote:

Yep, that's HISTORY!!

Build the program off of that accomplishment

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12830
RE: Gopher Football - 12/14/2020 12:06:43 PM   
SoMnFan

Not everyone can say!

Hell, not anyone say that!

History, baby.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 12831
RE: Gopher Football - 12/14/2020 12:32:04 PM   
SoMnFan

Btw ...
Kids, do not try this at home

https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/nmh3PxYwJxMJ8D3jn1ivIw--/YXBwaWQ9aGlnaGxhbmRlcjt3PTk2MDtoPTUyMS42/https://s.yimg.com/os/creatr-uploaded-images/2020-12/5ebff810-3cd2-11eb-afc1-d7b7fdb559df

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 12832
RE: Gopher Football - 12/14/2020 2:28:21 PM   
Mr. Ed

Northwestern AD becomes the ACC Commissioner. Now he can watch the sisters of the poor bend over for Duke in BB vs bending over for OSU football.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12833
RE: Gopher Football - 12/15/2020 8:38:08 AM   
Mr. Ed

Scoggins

College football's early signing day is Wednesday, and P.J. Fleck, by design, intends to sign a smaller class than usual.

That's because he doesn't know yet the parameters for constructing his roster for next season. Because of the pandemic, the NCAA is not counting this season toward player eligibility, meaning seniors can come back next season.

Fleck has invited his seniors to return. It's not a big senior class, and it's unclear how many will take the offer, but Fleck isn't signing a full incoming freshman class until he gets a final answer from his boss, Gophers athletic director Mark Coyle, on a crucial and potentially costly question.

This is where things could become complicated and create more public blowback for Coyle.

Normally, the NCAA limits FBS football teams to 85 scholarships. With the eligibility waiver in place, schools are permitted to go over that number. Whether they do so is up to each individual school.

Football teams could have more than 100 players on scholarship next season. Some undoubtedly will stick to 85 because of the extra cost in a tough economic climate, but rest assured that others — perhaps many in Power Five leagues — will exceed that limit since they have the option.

The NCAA provided the same eligibility relief for spring sports earlier this year after those seasons were canceled. The Gophers allowed seniors to return, but Coyle held firm on scholarship limits per sport.

The coaches were told to stick to their usual limits.

Don't be surprised if he rules differently for Fleck and football, despite steep revenue losses for his department and criticism levied at him for the September decision to eliminate three men's sports (tennis, gymnastics, indoor track and field) after this school year.

This special allowance for Fleck from Coyle will be the right decision, one that also will be unpopular and viewed as unfair by some.

I don't like cutting sports and taking opportunities away from athletes, but the Gophers desperately need football to succeed for the department's overall financial health. If this expense helps that cause, even if it looks hypocritical and inconsistent, it will be worth it.

Fleck said Monday that he "definitely will be able to go over the limit," but that he doesn't know the exact number. "It's not going to be an astronomical number," Fleck said.

This football-first financial model of big-time athletics is nothing new, but it has been thrust under a blazing hot spotlight with schools around the country dropping nonrevenue sports in response to financial strain caused by the pandemic.

For years, I have implored Gophers officials to show stronger commitment to football — to invest more, make it a priority, commit the same kind of resources to football as their rivals.

College administrators understand the financial power of brand and institutional identity tied to a successful football program. So like any professional business — and that's precisely what this is — they cater to the golden goose.

The question is, could the Gophers manage to support their current 25 sports and field a successful football program within their budget after this pandemic? I tend to think yes. Coyle ultimately decided no.

Dig below the surface of sports being eliminated nationally and you will find the root of the problem. Once massive TV revenue started pouring in, athletic departments went hog-wild. Imagine winning the lottery. That's how college sports reacted to their windfall. They got rich(er), and they spent it.

Not just football, the whole enterprise — though football serves as the poster child because their excesses in staffing and other areas look especially bloated.

In 2012, the Gophers athletic department reported $83.6 million in expenses. In 2019, that figure swelled to $129.5 million. They spend more on facilities, salaries, recruiting, equipment, team travel — basically everything. Because they had the money.

That scenario played out at Power Five schools everywhere. This is how the arms race works. There's no such thing as good enough because somebody else is always doing more. And no school wants to be viewed as cheap, or unwilling to compete, because that will get used against them in recruiting.

The incentive to spend money to keep pace is always present. Again, I encouraged it. Then applauded when it happened.

Then a pandemic hit.

Schools responded by cutting sports, which is unfortunate and probably unnecessary in some cases.

Is there a different standard when it comes to investing in football? Undeniably. People see that as unfair, and I understand their frustration. But pulling back on something so critically important does not seem like a smart plan.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12834
RE: Gopher Football - 12/15/2020 8:39:55 AM   
SoMnFan

Some of these schools are finding out maybe you don't need 100 on a team.
Save some money
These pared-down rosters are playing pretty well.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 12835
RE: Gopher Football - 12/15/2020 12:36:35 PM   
Mr. Ed

Ibrahim B10 Running back of the year.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12836
RE: Gopher Football - 12/15/2020 1:04:36 PM   
SoMnFan

We are Running Back U, baby.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 12837
RE: Gopher Football - 12/15/2020 3:24:26 PM   
SoMnFan

Indiana-Purdue and Michigan-Iowa, both called off
Covid

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 12838
RE: Gopher Football - 12/16/2020 9:00:26 AM   
TJSweens

It's early signing day. Here is one kid it will be easy to root for. And, who knew, Mike Morris as a mentor to a troubled kid.

Shakopee's Deven Eastern upfront about his challenges in becoming a Gopher

The defensive end has been candid about his struggle with emotional behavioral disorders, his mom, his devotion to football, his dream to play in the NFL and his desire, more importantly, to be a good man.

By Megan Ryan Star Tribune DECEMBER 16, 2020 — 6:41AM

Deven Eastern sat in P.J. Fleck's office, his mother and his mentor by his side.

"Where have you been in your life up to this point," the Gophers coach asked the 17-year-old, "and what do you need in your life right now?"

The Shakopee defensive end could have given a surface-level answer, anything to preserve a recruiting relationship for the unranked player 12 months before Wednesday's early signing day. Telling the true story, all of its uncomfortable and vulnerable parts, was a risk.

But Eastern opened his mouth, and his heart came spilling out.

"He teared up and started talking to the coach about his life and what means the most to him," said his mentor, Mike Morris. "And it was very, very, very real."

Eastern spoke about his struggle with emotional behavioral disorders, his mom, his devotion to football, his dream to play in the NFL but more important, to be a good man. By the end of his deliverance, everyone was crying.

"He gave me a chance," Eastern said of Fleck. "He knew everything about my past. And he knew I had the potential to grow and become a better person. And that I've been working so hard.

"And he was the first guy to tell me that 'We'll get through it, and I'll help you through this. And we're more than just football here. We're family.' "

Right then, Eastern pledged to play for Minnesota, a promise he will fulfill when he officially signs Wednesday. Since that pivotal moment, Eastern's risen from an unranked no-name to one of five four-star recruits in Fleck's 2021 class. The 6-6, 280-pound late bloomer could have fielded dozens of Power Five offers if he hadn't shut down his recruiting so fast.

But Eastern's commitment never wavered, nor did his desire to stay home.

"He wants to play for the state," said his mom, Tammy Burger. " … It kind of symbolizes all of the people and the men that swooped in and just helped him, guided him, supported him, encouraged him."

Finding focus

Burger moved herself and her young son back to her native Mankato from Illinois several years ago. But it wasn't the right place for them.

As Eastern grew, he grappled with attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder and oppositional defiant disorder, which made school a trial, especially when he stopped taking medication because he felt it affected his football.

"I was always bouncing around. It was hard for me to learn because I was so fidgety," Eastern explained. " … It was hard. I've been kicked out of a lot of schools."

After his middle school dismissed him, Eastern attended an alternative school to help him improve his behavior. But it had the opposite effect.

"I was always getting into petty mischief," Eastern said. " … It influenced me to go deeper and deeper into this hole because everybody around you doesn't want to succeed. They always try to push you and start petty fights and all of that, and it really took a toll on me.

"And I could feel myself losing focus."

His mother, meanwhile, was drowning, trying to correct her son's path. She worried and feared for his future and decided a move to the Twin Cities metro area might offer a better outlook.

They ultimately landed in Shakopee for Eastern's eighth-grade year, and he immediately took up football. But he didn't attend Shakopee schools, instead going to SouthWest Metro Intermediate District.

Eastern started in a class similar to one he had at his alternative school in Mankato, known as a level four special education program for kids with behavioral or emotional issues. It centered on teaching him coping mechanisms for his disorders but also worked on academics through an individual education program.

In Eastern's first years at the school, his teachers noted his immaturity, how easily peers influenced him, how fiery he was, how he made more wrong choices than right.

That was manifested on the football field, too. Eastern's size had always granted him attention and natural ability, and his Shakopee coach, Ray Betton,considered bringing the freshman to varsity at nose guard. But Eastern wasn't mentally ready, Betton said, and the player didn't even finish the season.

Betton pushed him in his sport, his teachers guided him through school, and Eastern slowly matured. By 10th grade, he had progressed behaviorally and academically beyond needing special education services, and the school began transitioning him to high school coursework. But an ankle injury from pickup basketball took Eastern out of his sophomore football season after just two games, and his focus strayed again. He decided football wasn't for him and planned to quit, much to his mom's dismay, since the sport had always been a steadying force in his life.

Eastern grudgingly went to summer workouts to please his mom and coach. There, he met Morris, a former Vikings long snapper and KFAN radio host who ran Shakopee's strength and conditioning program that summer.

He fell back in love with the sport he'd played since kindergarten. And he felt himself turning a page.

Making good

Eastern's junior year was his first full season, but it was a breakout, despite him having "no clue" what he was doing.

"I was just using my athleticism and strength to overpower people," Eastern said. "At the time, I couldn't even tell you what my job was."

Pass-rushing, gaps, all took a back seat to chasing down whoever had the ball.

That made Eastern realize how much he had to learn. He texted Morris and asked if he'd be willing to train him one-on-one. He made a highlight reel and connected with Robbinsdale Cooper coach Willie Howard,who saw Eastern's potential and offered to help train him, as well. Howard also connected him with DeVentri Jordanof Game Face Training.

As this team assembled, Eastern earned his first offer from Nebraska. The meeting with Fleck came shortly after that. And while he committed to the Gophers quickly, having a college scholarship locked down didn't sway him to ease up.

Instead, he became even more determined. He and his mother took a divide-and-conquer approach. Eastern focused on training and school. His mom worked with SouthWest Metro to navigate the arduous process of qualifying the school and all of Eastern's courses through the NCAA so he was eligible for his scholarship.

Through it all, Betton, Morris, Howard, Jordan and educators at SouthWest Metro were there.

"[They] came in and just helped our little family just get through this one step at a time, lots of love and support," Burger said, choking back tears. " … It just changed the course of our life."
Those coaches and teachers, though, will insist they played a small part. Eastern made the effort and put in the work.

Eastern's typical day involves 5 a.m. workouts with Morris, school, training with Howard and Game Face, coming home around 7 p.m. for homework, maybe an hour to spend with his girlfriend or talk with his mom before bed and a repeat performance the next day.

That paid off in a senior season shortened by the pandemic, when he bumped to a four-star rating. In school, he'd become a top student, set to earn his diploma early — with all A's and B's — as he enrolls at the University of Minnesota in January with hopes of playing as a freshman.

The usually quiet Eastern became fast friends with his 2021 classmates, hosting a couple of out-of-state Gophers recruits. He's considering studying sports management or something to help him become a coach. He has even reconnected with his father, whom he hadn't seen since he was 4 years old.

All from a painful past and second chances.

"Before, it felt like I was missing pieces to a puzzle," Eastern said. "Now it's like I'm writing my own book. And each chapter, it gets better. But the end of the book is blank. And it's up to me how I want to finish that book or that story.

"And I want that story to be great. So I'm going to keep pushing myself every day until I get to that end, and close the book."

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 12839
RE: Gopher Football - 12/16/2020 9:13:23 AM   
Mr. Ed

Wow

Good for him. Hope it all works out. Incredible story.

Glad he found the support so many don't get.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12840
RE: Gopher Football - 12/16/2020 9:16:57 AM   
TJSweens

A 6'6" - 280 lb DE is just what this defense needs.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 12841
RE: Gopher Football - 12/16/2020 9:17:07 AM   
SoMnFan

The kind of kid you pull for.
Stay solid kid.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 12842
RE: Gopher Football - 12/16/2020 9:54:53 AM   
SoMnFan

Jaw dropper last night for me ... first time the U has ever had the B10s running back of the year?
That's some bullshit disrespect there
We've had studs at RB since I was a kid
(maybe its only been a thing a couple years)

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 12843
RE: Gopher Football - 12/16/2020 11:11:03 AM   
David Levine

With all the shit going on in the world, I needed that story to help restore a little faith in humanity.
Post #: 12844
RE: Gopher Football - 12/16/2020 11:21:17 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

With all the shit going on in the world, I needed that story to help restore a little faith in humanity.

AMEN

Who knew Mike Morris would be part of THAT

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12845
RE: Gopher Football - 12/16/2020 11:29:25 AM   
SoMnFan

Best part of Fleck's game

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 12846
RE: Gopher Football - 12/16/2020 11:32:29 AM   
SoMnFan

Despite the many challenges this year because of the COVID-19 pandemic, college football's early signing period is on schedule and underway. These next three days will likely see over three-quarters of the 2021 class sign, with more than 80% of the ESPN 300 having already been committed heading into this period.

Alabama is in the hunt for a seventh No. 1-ranked class under Nick Saban. The Crimson Tide currently sit atop the rankings with a class that is built around a strong group of offensive linemen, including a pair of five-star offensive tackles, but threatening to overtake them is Ohio State. The Buckeyes have never signed a top-ranked class in the ESPN era, but this 2021 group, which is led by the nation's top-ranked prospect, DE Jack Sawyer, could help them finally achieve that distinction. Georgia, which has signed four straight top-three classes, also has its sights set on trying to wrestle away that top spot from Alabama and leads a handful of programs fighting for a top-five finish.

The battles continue well beyond the top of the rankings. Programs such as Texas A&M, USC and Ole Miss, which has been a fast riser leading into the early signing period, look to climb higher in the rankings. Other programs such as Minnesota and Cal are in position to exceed expectations and ink their highest-ranked classes in several years.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 12847
RE: Gopher Football - 12/16/2020 11:34:36 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

Despite the many challenges this year because of the COVID-19 pandemic, college football's early signing period is on schedule and underway. These next three days will likely see over three-quarters of the 2021 class sign, with more than 80% of the ESPN 300 having already been committed heading into this period.

Alabama is in the hunt for a seventh No. 1-ranked class under Nick Saban. The Crimson Tide currently sit atop the rankings with a class that is built around a strong group of offensive linemen, including a pair of five-star offensive tackles, but threatening to overtake them is Ohio State. The Buckeyes have never signed a top-ranked class in the ESPN era, but this 2021 group, which is led by the nation's top-ranked prospect, DE Jack Sawyer, could help them finally achieve that distinction. Georgia, which has signed four straight top-three classes, also has its sights set on trying to wrestle away that top spot from Alabama and leads a handful of programs fighting for a top-five finish.

The battles continue well beyond the top of the rankings. Programs such as Texas A&M, USC and Ole Miss, which has been a fast riser leading into the early signing period, look to climb higher in the rankings. Other programs such as Minnesota and Cal are in position to exceed expectations and ink their highest-ranked classes in several years.

The Gophers officially signed their 2021 recruiting class, with one notable absence.

Top recruit Avante Dickerson, the No. 1 prospect in Nebraska, tweeted Wednesday he wouldn't be joining the 19 other players to officially join the Gophers during the early signing period.

"I am simply not ready to make a final decision that will impact my future as a student-athlete," Dickerson wrote.

Ruh roh....

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12848
RE: Gopher Football - 12/16/2020 11:40:53 AM   
Mr. Ed

The top JUCO Corner drops his commit to Georgia, chooses to go to Jackson State

Why not? Deion may or may not be a good coach, but sounds like fun.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12849
RE: Gopher Football - 12/16/2020 11:43:38 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

Best part of Fleck's game

"Where have you been in your life up to this point," the Gophers coach asked the 17-year-old, "and what do you need in your life right now?"

That doesn't seem like the standard recruiting sales pitch question.

Post #: 12850
Page:   <<   < prev  512 513 [514] 515 516   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Football Page: <<   < prev  512 513 [514] 515 516   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode