Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE:What 3 things would you do to improve the NFL

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> General NFL Talk >> RE:What 3 things would you do to improve the NFL Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE:What 3 things would you do to improve the NFL - 11/6/2007 8:32:52 PM   
Andy Lowe

How about quit calling Brian Billick an offensive "genius". That offense for Baltimore, is a freaking joke, and it has been for years now.
Post #: 76
RE:What 3 things would you do to improve the NFL - 11/6/2007 9:02:56 PM   
Trekgeekscott

[quote="Andy Lowe"]How about quit calling Brian Billick an offensive "genius". That offense for Baltimore, is a freaking joke, and it has been for years now.[/quote] It has been ever since he became head coach in 1999.
Post #: 77
RE:What 3 things would you do to improve the NFL - 11/6/2007 10:05:38 PM   
Lynn G.

[quote="Andy Lowe"]How about quit calling Brian Billick an offensive "genius". [/quote] Mark Schlereth must be reading this board. He just said exactly the same thing on "Outside the Lines" on ESPN. :D
Post #: 78
RE:What 3 things would you do to improve the NFL - 11/6/2007 11:34:16 PM   
djskillz

[quote="Lynn G."][quote="Andy Lowe"]How about quit calling Brian Billick an offensive "genius". [/quote] Mark Schlereth must be reading this board. He just said exactly the same thing on "Outside the Lines" on ESPN. :D[/quote] Schlereth IS a genius! I'm biased because he's an Alaska product, but he is BY FAR my favorite football guy going right now. Hilarious AND insightful.
Post #: 79
RE: RE:What 3 things would you do to improve the NFL - 12/20/2007 7:45:04 PM   
Kurtis

I like this thread idea. I actually have more ways of fixing baseball than football -- I don't think football is broken. In baseball, I'd institute a rigorous steroid testing, that's everybody's #1. Number 2, I'd have teams only be allowed to block trades if they spent less money, regardless of record. That would screw the Yankees from making mid-season acquisitions and that would be a great leveler right there. #3, I'd have a lot more day games again.

Football, I'd stop screwing with the schedule. Keep MNF, but no more games on Saturday or Thursday or Sunday night. Everybody plays on Sunday. I'd get rid of the conferences and come up with a new playoff mechanism where the two teams in the championship might actually be the two best teams in the NFL, even if they're in the same conference or division now. I'd get rid of the pro bowl and just have an honor roll. Those are small things. The NFL's not broken.

When it comes to NFL commentary, there are a LOT of things I'd change, starting with the sheer volume of coverage.
Post #: 80
RE: RE:What 3 things would you do to improve the NFL - 12/20/2007 8:44:39 PM   
John Childress

quote:

ORIGINAL: djskillz

[quote="Lynn G."][quote="Andy Lowe"]How about quit calling Brian Billick an offensive "genius".
Mark Schlereth must be reading this board. He just said exactly the same thing on "Outside the Lines" on ESPN. :D Schlereth IS a genius! I'm biased because he's an Alaska product, but he is BY FAR my favorite football guy going right now. Hilarious AND insightful.
Two hogs, Schlereth and May, are two of the brightest guys I have heard in years
Post #: 81
RE: RE:What 3 things would you do to improve the NFL - 12/20/2007 8:56:06 PM   
djskillz

quote:

ORIGINAL: John Childress

quote:

[quote="Lynn G."][quote="Andy Lowe"]How about quit calling Brian Billick an offensive "genius".
Mark Schlereth must be reading this board. He just said exactly the same thing on "Outside the Lines" on ESPN. :D
Schlereth IS a genius! I'm biased because he's an Alaska product, but he is BY FAR my favorite football guy going right now. Hilarious AND insightful.
Two hogs, Schlereth and May, are two of the brightest guys I have heard in years

Ya, I like May also.  But Schlereth is by far my favorite.  Just love the guy.  And he's HILARIOUS too if you ever listen to his sessions with Cowherd on the radio.

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 82
RE: RE:What 3 things would you do to improve the NFL - 12/20/2007 11:07:08 PM   
Andy Lowe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kurtis

I like this thread idea. I actually have more ways of fixing baseball than football -- I don't think football is broken. In baseball, I'd institute a rigorous steroid testing, that's everybody's #1. Number 2, I'd have teams only be allowed to block trades if they spent less money, regardless of record. That would screw the Yankees from making mid-season acquisitions and that would be a great leveler right there. #3, I'd have a lot more day games again.

Football, I'd stop screwing with the schedule. Keep MNF, but no more games on Saturday or Thursday or Sunday night. Everybody plays on Sunday. I'd get rid of the conferences and come up with a new playoff mechanism where the two teams in the championship might actually be the two best teams in the NFL, even if they're in the same conference or division now. I'd get rid of the pro bowl and just have an honor roll. Those are small things. The NFL's not broken.

When it comes to NFL commentary, there are a LOT of things I'd change, starting with the sheer volume of coverage.

Even Thanksgiving?  I agree though, too many games throughout the week.
Post #: 83
RE: RE:What 3 things would you do to improve the NFL - 12/25/2007 5:10:22 PM   
John Childress

Bring back NFL Europe for Jackson to learn.

Bring in Tiki Barber to coach Peterson.

Video Kampman's last few years and make Robison, Edwards, and Udeze watch it

No more acceptance of mediocrity!!!! EVER!
Post #: 84
RE: RE:What 3 things would you do to improve the NFL - 12/25/2007 6:35:01 PM   
Jim Frenette

quote:

I read today that in March there will be a league playing in Italy. I wonder if they will take NFL players

Fargo
Post #: 85
RE: RE:What 3 things would you do to improve the NFL - 12/25/2007 8:57:28 PM   
John Childress

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jim Frenette

quote:

I read today that in March there will be a league playing in Italy. I wonder if they will take NFL players

We can only hope

If Jackson is to ever become a top NFL QB he needs a couple of YEARS of seasoning.  I wish that didn't happen at the Vikings expense.

Post #: 86
RE: RE:What 3 things would you do to improve the NFL - 12/26/2007 11:36:47 AM   
Stiegel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kurtis

Some good suggestions Kurtis.  The Pro Bowl is the biggest joke all-star game that there is amongst the four major sports in the USA.  The game is played after the season ends when nobody cares about the game, the players involved, or the end result.  Why do they select the team after 14 games have been played?  The season is 16 games long.  Right now, Adrian Peterson does not deserve to go to the Pro Bowl nor do Hutchinson and Birk as OL, nor Tony Richardson as FB.  The Vikings running game has been an embarrassment the past three weeks. 

As far as eliminating conferences altogether and playing a championship game without regard to this limiting factor, that is a bit more controversial.  ML baseball has a natural buffer for "leagues" because they play the game under different rules because of the DH in the AL.  The NBA disects the conferences by demographics, while the NHL does largely the same thing. 

A new playoff format for NFL football is definitely an issue for discussion and consideration.  For whatever reason, the AFC has decidedly taken an edge over the NFC as far as teams with better talent and better overall records, however, there are still several teams in each conference that are simply horrendous.  I would be in favor of keeping the divisional rivalries in tact and keeping the exisitng conferences in tact with respect to divisional champions automatically making the playoffs within their respective conference.  However, I would also invite discussion regarding teams that qualify as "wildcard" teams.  IOW, all teams seeking to qualify as wildcard candidates would be ranked by overall record with a tie-breaking formula that would be combined by conference(s).  If one conference is superior to the other conference, that conference could have four wildcard representatives while the other had zero.  Further, the divisional champions within each conference would be ranked by overall record, and NFC division champions might oppose an AFC wildcard opponent in the first round of the playoffs.  Ultimately, if a wildcard team made it through the first three rounds of the playoffs, they could meet another team within their same conference in the Super Bowl. 
Post #: 87
RE: RE:What 3 things would you do to improve the NFL - 12/26/2007 1:08:50 PM   
John Childress

I would be opposed to any change in the playoff format.  If you are not among the top 6 teams in your conference then you don't deserve to go to the playoffs.  Make the regular season mean something instead of crap like the NHL and NBA

Post #: 88
RE: RE:What 3 things would you do to improve the NFL - 1/7/2008 12:23:35 PM   
Jim Frenette

I don't have three right now, but a rule I would like to see done away with is the one if the punting team is offside, the receiving team has an option of having them re kick or add 5 yards. If all the other rules say to take a penalty or decline it, then why is this supposed to be so special. IMO, if they don't want to re kick, then they don't get the extra yardage

Fargo
Post #: 89
RE: RE:What 3 things would you do to improve the NFL - 4/6/2008 11:32:45 AM   
Andy Lowe

Glad to see the NFL get rid of the "force out rule" finally a rule change that benefits the defense!
Post #: 90
RE: RE:What 3 things would you do to improve the NFL - 4/6/2008 4:31:51 PM   
djskillz

I also like the new facemask rule.  I was worried that it was going to make incidental facemasks all 15 yards now, but the way Clayton explained it, now there is NO penalty for incidental facemasks, which I love (ie no automatic 1st down/5 yards for BS) and 15 yards for all "real" facemasks.

Love it.

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 91
RE: RE:What 3 things would you do to improve the NFL - 4/6/2008 6:25:11 PM   
Jim Frenette

quote:

I also like the new facemask rule.  I was worried that it was going to make incidental facemasks all 15 yards now, but the way Clayton explained it, now there is NO penalty for incidental facemasks, which I love (ie no automatic 1st down/5 yards for BS) and 15 yards for all "real" facemasks.

Love it.

I think we have to wait and see on that. There may not be a 5 yd penalty, but they still might throw the flag for incidental infractions and award 15 yds. I'm worried that if they do that, there is no incentive for them to let go now.

Fargo
Post #: 92
RE: RE:What 3 things would you do to improve the NFL - 9/24/2012 3:37:31 AM   
wowkacui

Take away the subjectable roughing the passer calls. The QB's are football players too........

Post #: 93
RE: RE:What 3 things would you do to improve the NFL - 12/18/2021 10:37:20 PM   
Ricky J

Todd Fuhrman @ToddFuhrman
ยท
NFL = ejection

NHL = 2 minutes for roughing

- this one made me laugh
- if youre into gambling this guy is mostly decent to follow (Twitter)
- look at some of the names that posted on this thread ... sigh
Post #: 94
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> General NFL Talk >> RE:What 3 things would you do to improve the NFL Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode