Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE:The Packers

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> General NFL Talk >> RE:The Packers Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE:The Packers - 9/26/2007 2:39:30 PM   
Cheesehead Craig

[quote="djskilbr"]Craig, how you liking my boy Daryn Colledge? Still SO pissed that you guys have him and the Vikes don't. Great guy, great OL in the making.[/quote] His pass blocking is good, but he still needs to work a lot on the run blocking. He looks promising though.
Post #: 101
RE:The Packers - 9/26/2007 2:55:30 PM   
John Childress

the best 1-2-3 of a rotation of all-time! Who would that be? Maddux-Glavine-Smoltz? Koufax-Drysdale-Sutton?
Post #: 102
RE:The Packers - 9/26/2007 3:20:43 PM   
JamieH

[quote="John Childress"]the best 1-2-3 of a rotation of all-time! Who would that be? Maddux-Glavine-Smoltz? Koufax-Drysdale-Sutton?[/quote] Hmmm...now that is a really good question...I might even take Morris, Petry, Wilcox of the 1984 Tigers. Not three that are going to all be in the hall, but that year, you knew that you were going to face a big game pitcher every time out.
Post #: 103
RE:The Packers - 9/26/2007 3:20:43 PM   
JamieH

[quote="John Childress"]the best 1-2-3 of a rotation of all-time! Who would that be? Maddux-Glavine-Smoltz? Koufax-Drysdale-Sutton?[/quote] Hmmm...now that is a really good question...I might even take Morris, Petry, Wilcox of the 1984 Tigers. Not three that are going to all be in the hall, but that year, you knew that you were going to face a big game pitcher every time out.
Post #: 104
RE:The Packers - 9/26/2007 4:07:11 PM   
Jeff Jesser

87 Twins - Viola/Blylevin/Niekro or 91 Twins - Morris/Tapani/Erickson I might be a bit biased....
Post #: 105
RE:The Packers - 9/26/2007 4:12:50 PM   
Cheesehead Craig

Hey Hey Hey! Take that baseball talk over the to the Twins thread. :club:
Post #: 106
RE:The Packers - 9/26/2007 5:12:09 PM   
David Moufang

[quote="Lynn Garthwaite"]Hmmm. He doesn't care about the records, but in an interview about whether or not he was ready to retire, he brought up the topic of what his legacy will be. He's thinking about his legacy but not the records? Doesn't pass the smell test. (Yes, HE brought up his legacy) BTW - you'd almost have to be raised in a cave not to recognize the public relations line "I don't care about my personal records, I just want to win games" as just standard PC.[/quote] The FIRST THING HE SAID whilst being interviewed after the game on Sunday was, "I don't care about the record." You could tell by his tone that he wasn't kidding. His legacy is that he's one of the greatest and most durable NFL players of all time. He's also nearly got the INT record. Do you think he wants that? Go read this article and maybe you'll understand more about him: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/16/sports/football/16favre.html "There’s one day it’s going to be over and you’ll look back and go, heck, I'd love to even just play on a losing team just to play," Favre told The Associated Press this summer. And admit you're biased because you hate the Packers. Furthermore, if he's as washed up as Vikings fans wished, would the Packers be 3-0? They have no running game, so it's all on Favre and his questionable receivers (Donald Driver exempted).
Post #: 107
RE:The Packers - 9/26/2007 5:15:58 PM   
Toby Stumbo

GO VIKES GO!!! :scream:
Post #: 108
RE:The Packers - 9/26/2007 5:18:04 PM   
Lynn G.

David, I understand you love the guy. It's part of your job as a Packer fan to love him. But "I don't care about my own personal records, I just want to win the game" is politically correct rhetoric, any way you look at it. Go Vikings!!!
Post #: 109
RE:The Packers - 9/26/2007 5:38:33 PM   
David Moufang

[quote="Lynn Garthwaite"]David, I understand you love the guy. It's part of your job as a Packer fan to love him. But "I don't care about my own personal records, I just want to win the game" is politically correct rhetoric, any way you look at it. [/quote] B.S. You are blinded by hatred. Listen to the guy talk; he's not real complex. He doesn't make "politically correct rhetoric." He says exactly what he's thinking. And by the way, there are times when I didn't like him at QB, specifically when he threw 29 INTs in one season. At least some Vikings fans have gotten a grip: http://www.startribune.com/150/story/1445929.html
Post #: 110
RE:The Packers - 9/26/2007 5:45:15 PM   
Lynn G.

David, The fact that I'm a Viking fan is only one of about 35 reasons I'm not a Brett Favre fan. Hey - has he walked off the field and headed into the locker room early recently? He used to do that quite a bit but I think when he saw Randy Moss so loudly criticized for it he figured he'd better stay on the field with his teammates.
Post #: 111
RE:The Packers - 9/26/2007 5:47:41 PM   
Duane Sampson

I don't hate Favre but if he says he doesn't care about the all-time NFL TD record he's either lying or he's stupid. PERIOD.
Post #: 112
RE:The Packers - 9/26/2007 5:49:07 PM   
Lynn G.

quote:

he's not real complex
That's the kindest way I've ever heard it put. My father-in-law (a Packer fan) has said several times - - - "I don't think he's particularly smart."
Post #: 113
RE:The Packers - 9/26/2007 6:51:48 PM   
David Moufang

[quote="Lynn Garthwaite"]
quote:

he's not real complex
That's the kindest way I've ever heard it put. My father-in-law (a Packer fan) has said several times - - - "I don't think he's particularly smart." I think I meant more that his communication style is not real complex. He comes off as a dumb southerner, but he's not a media type. He's a football player. He isn't paid to come up with clever things to say to reporters. He probably does it only as a requirement of the team.
Post #: 114
RE:The Packers - 9/26/2007 10:32:00 PM   
Lynn G.

Just a thought David. I like having you on this site, but really, if you want to read a lot of feel good stuff about Brett Favre and have everyone nodding in synch about his attributes, mix in a Packer fan site or two during the week. You'll get your quota of affirmations and then you can come back here and talk football. :beer:
Post #: 115
RE:The Packers - 9/26/2007 10:56:31 PM   
John Childress

I think Favre is one of those folks who is a lot smarter than people think. I think the whole good ole boy thing is an act
Post #: 116
RE:The Packers - 9/27/2007 9:52:00 AM   
djskillz

[quote="John Childress"]the best 1-2-3 of a rotation of all-time! Who would that be? Maddux-Glavine-Smoltz? Koufax-Drysdale-Sutton?[/quote] that WILL be Santana/Liriano/Garza. If Liriano makes it back to health, then the Twins have the best two pitchers in baseball on the same staff (Liriano's even better than Johan if healthy IMO) and Garza was just minor league pitcher of the year for ALL of baseball a year ago, and has Smoltz-like stuff (VERY similar to me). So basically, picture a Randy Johnson (Liriano)/Koufax (Johan)/Smoltz (Garza) trio. That's about what it COULD become to me. Craig, as for Colledge, don't worry about his run-blocking. It will come. I watched a LOT of Boise State football just because of him and he was a beast down there for running lanes. I think that will end up being his better area in fact.
Post #: 117
RE:The Packers - 9/27/2007 3:50:19 PM   
Duane Sampson

Packer Notes: Favre Talks With Commissioner Scout.com Posted Sep 27, 2007 NFL commissioner Roger Goodell talked with Packers quarterback Brett Favre about him tying the all-time record for touchdown passes. Quarterback Brett Favre and NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell were in communication Wednesday morning. The topic for their phone conversation, which was arranged by the team and the league office? Naturally, Favre owning a share of the league’s all-time record for touchdown throws. “He was just congratulating me on tying the record. A very nice phone call,” Favre said. Favre pulled even with Dan Marino at 420 with his third TD pass of the game in the Packers’ 31-24 win over the Chargers last Sunday. The odds are good that Favre will have the milestone to himself Sunday, when the Packers play at division rival Minnesota. The last time Favre didn’t throw for a touchdown in his annual visit to the Metrodome was 1999. He has 17 scoring passes in the last seven road meetings with the Vikings. “I just hope we win the game,” Favre said. “I’d love to throw a touchdown in this game, but I’d much rather win it. I say that all the time. I’ll let (the record) take care of itself.” Favre’s struggles against the Vikings at the Metrodome have been well documented. He has won only five of 15 games as the Packers starter since 1992. If Favre were to be shut out of the end zone Sunday, thus allowing him an opportunity to pass Marino in Lambeau Field on national TV against Chicago on Oct. 7, history dictates that Green Bay won’t remain unbeaten. He had no touchdown throws at Minnesota in 1992, ‘93, ‘94 and ‘95, as well as the 1999 contest. The Packers lost all five of those games. The Packers’ feeble running game has officially hit rock bottom. Green Bay ranks last in the 32-team league with an average of 57 rushing yards per game. “It’s frustrating. You never want to be a part of that,” veteran right tackle Mark Tauscher said. “But, in the same respect, we had games where we ran for 230 yards, and we lost. I’d much rather be in this position (with a 3-0 record) than being in the top three running the football, beating our chest how great of a running team we are and then we’re sitting there struggling to get in the playoffs. “You want to be better than we are, there’s no question about that, but in the same respect, our record is pretty good.” The Packers ranked 30th for rushing in 2005 with an average of 84.5 yards per game. Both are low watermarks in franchise history. NOTES Green Bay became only the fourth team in league lore to start a season 3-0 with all of its wins against teams that were in the playoffs the previous season. The last team to do it was New Orleans in 2002, when Packers head coach Mike McCarthy was the Saints offensive coordinator. The other instances occurred in 1991 with the Houston Oilers and 1982 with Washington. After ending the practice week last week with 17 players on the injury report, the Packers are continuing to err on the side of caution at midweek with some ailing front-line players. Cornerbacks Al Harris (back) and Charles Woodson (hip), receiver Greg Jennings (hamstring), left tackle Chad Clifton (knee) and tight end Bubba Franks (knee) were held out Wednesday. All of them are coping with lingering injuries and were well served from having extra recovery time last week before they returned for a full practice Friday. Top receiver Donald Driver is in the same boat after suffering a toe injury in the last game. QB Brett Favre is on the injury report because of a small cut on a finger of his right (throwing) hand. Favre was limited in practice Wednesday and deferred to Aaron Rodgers for most of the reps with the No. 1 unit. Favre is expected to make his 241st straight regular-season start Sunday at Minnesota, surpassing former Vikings center Mick Tingelhoff for the second-longest streak for any position in the league. DE Cullen Jenkins was held out of most drills Wednesday with a ribs injury he sustained in the last game. His status for Sunday’s game is up in the air. DE/DT Corey Williams, who started at tackle in the last game, slid over to take some reps at Jenkins’ right-end spot in practice Wednesday. Williams, though, was limited with a knee injury. RB Vernand Morency was put through a modified practice Wednesday, splitting reps with the other backs in team drills. Morency has yet to play in a game this season because of lingering soreness from a sprained knee he suffered on the first day of training camp. He will be questionable for Sunday. LB Desmond Bishop had limited participation in practice. The special-teams contributor is trying to bounce back from a sprained shoulder that sidelined him in the last game. DE Michael Montgomery is the only player declared out for the upcoming game. Montgomery is on the mend from a sprained knee he sustained in the second preseason game. He’s another week or two away from getting back on the field for practice. BY THE NUMBERS: 70.6 — Percentage of the Packers’ total offense that has been pass plays (187) through the first three games. It has had only 55 run plays. The breakdown doesn’t take into account four kneel-downs by Favre that are counted as runs. QUOTE TO NOTE: “Everyone is on this Brett Favre bandwagon now — ‘Boy, you’re playing the game differently’ and all those things. I don’t see it that way. I think, statistically speaking, it’s easy to say, ‘Geez, there’s a dramatic change in his play.’ (But) I think you look at these first three games ... we had a chance to win from the first snap to the last snap. It was never (being) down by 14, 17 (points). I think you play differently in those situations. If it’s 0-0 (tied) in the third quarter, you don’t have to take a gamble. But, if you’re down 17 points in the third quarter, at some point, you’ve got to start taking a shot.” — Quarterback Brett Favre, on why he’s been more efficient through three games this season than he has been in recent years. He has completed 64 percent of his passes with six touchdowns and only two interceptions.
Post #: 118
RE:The Packers - 9/27/2007 8:48:21 PM   
David Moufang

Duane: thanks for the article; that was interesting.
Post #: 119
RE:The Packers - 9/28/2007 2:32:39 PM   
Duane Sampson

Fittingly, Favre approaches TD and INT records at the Metrodome By Dave Campbell, AP Sports Writer MINNEAPOLIS — With Brett Favre on the verge of setting another NFL passing record, the Minnesota Vikings welcome their longtime rival to break it this weekend on their home field. Wait. What? "Three away from it. He has a great chance to make history," Vikings safety Darren Sharper said slyly, feigning ignorance of the career touchdown mark Favre tied last week. Instead, Sharper took a lighthearted swing this week at his former teammate, focusing on the career interception record that Green Bay's indestructible quarterback can also establish Sunday. With 420 touchdown passes, Favre is even with Dan Marino. With 275 interceptions, Favre is near the 277 throws George Blanda had picked off over his 26 seasons. As a side note, Favre will pass Marino with 11 more attempts. Oh, and barring an apocalyptic event, Favre will pass retired Minnesota center Mick Tingelhoff for the second-longest consecutive starts streak with 241. Former Vikings defensive end Jim Marshall leads the list with 270. Whew. That's a lot of numbers, and here's another: Since Favre took over for the Packers in 1992, Minnesota has had 13 quarterbacks start at least one game. Here's one more: Through three games, unbeaten Green Bay has called a pass play 70 percent of the time. "When Brett's throwing the way he is, who cares if we throw 50 times?" left guard Darryn Colledge said. Let's see. The Vikings lead the league by allowing an average of only 2.5 yards per rushing attempt, and the Packers have a group of unproven running backs led by rookie Brandon Jackson and his 97 yards that rank 38th in the NFL. It's a hardly a wonder if Favre's going to be flinging it, especially given the trouble Minnesota (1-2) has had against spread-out offenses that work the middle of the field well. "I believe we can expect to see about 97.85 percent passes against us," Sharper said, hardly kidding. It's fitting that Favre's opportunity to set the touchdown and interception records comes at the Metrodome, where he's had some of his worst performances - but also enjoyed plenty of recent success. He doesn't care where he's playing, though. "If I have to throw five, that would be awesome. If we win and I don't throw any, that would be great," Favre said. "I just want to win the game." The 37-year-old quarterback is 5-10 in the din of this dingy place, thanks to three wins in his last four tries. Favre went 24-for-42 with 347 yards, two scores and no interceptions last season. Two years before that, he helped the Packers rally for a 34-31 victory on Christmas Eve that clinched the NFC North with 365 yards on 30-for-43 passing, three touchdowns and one interception. But Favre, forever the self-deprecating critic, still winces about some of those early stumbles here. "It's a tough place to play. It's bad memories for me," he said. Green Bay lost Favre's first five starts at Minnesota, and he threw eight interceptions without a touchdown in the first four. The Packers lost three times the year they won the Super Bowl, and one of those was to the Vikings at the Dome. In 1993, the first season he made the playoffs, Favre passed for only 150 yards and was picked off twice in a 15-13 loss when receiver Eric Guliford was wide open down the sideline in the closing seconds to set up the winning field goal by Fuad Reveiz. In 1999, the first year the Packers didn't make the playoffs with Favre running their offense, Minnesota escaped with a 24-20 victory when Robert Griffith's interception in the end zone ended the game. Favre's only positive thought about playing at the Metrodome, aside from those recent wins, is Ragnar. He's the red-bearded guy that rides around on a motorcycle and dresses up like an ancient Viking warrior to stir up the crowd. After the game in 2004, Ragnar - played by Joe Juranitch, the dean of students at a local high school - approached Favre and told him how much he respected him. "It was nice. It was. He does a heck of a job for them," Favre said. With Sharper, receiver Robert Ferguson and kicker Ryan Longwell, there is a former Packer on each section of Minnesota's roster. They all know Favre well from a combined 23 seasons playing with him. And they all see a guy who is as sharp as ever. "You can tell how he's playing by how he reacts," Longwell said. "It looks like he's having a blast." The Vikings just don't want him having such a good time Sunday. The interception record is the one they're aiming for. "I think we all plan to be the third pick," Sharper said. The Associated Press
Post #: 120
RE:The Packers - 9/28/2007 2:36:32 PM   
Duane Sampson

Sydney Speaks! What to think By Harry Sydney mybrotherskeeperinc@hotmail.com Posted Sep 28, 2007 Though it is still difficult to believe, the Green Bay Packers are 3-0. PackerReport.com's Harry Sydney offers a few reasons why the Packers are undefeated. If you are being very honest with yourself and if you are a Packer fan or just a football person, you have to be asking yourself what’s going on in Green Bay? Before the season even the “homerest of homers” wouldn’t have predicted this team would be sitting at the top of the NFC North with a 3-0 record. Especially if you look at whom they have beaten in the process. They beat the Eagles, Giants and the Chargers - three teams that made the playoffs last year, and the Packers have done it in a way that makes me believe it wasn’t a fluke. Let me further explain!!!! First, you have to say it starts with Mike McCarthy, his plan and how he has stuck to it. I know many either like Ted, dislike Ted, or blame Ted, but the fact is it isn’t about Ted right now, it’s about Mike McCarthy and how he is coaching the players he has. Mike McCarthy has allowed Brett Favre to embrace his place in history and I’m not talking about the numbers, I am talking about how he has learned to manage the game. Mike has put the ball in Brett’s hand and said ‘Go win it.’ So far he has and it’s the way he has that has been so impressive. Brett Favre has raised his game to a level that might even be surprising himself and he is rising to that “Joe Montana” level. That level where as a player you make everyone else better around you. Don’t get me wrong, Brett has been great for a while but now he’s taking this team, a team without a running game, and has made it the talk of the football world. Not only that, but with every play he is setting some record. Everyone will argue which one is better - Brett or Joe - and the answer is simple: It all depends on your criteria. If it’s about hardware, it’s Joe; and if it’s about numbers, it’s Brett. But the Packers aren’t 3-0 just because of Brett. He’s getting more help than anyone thought he would get, I believe. After training camp offensively we all liked what we saw with James Jones and the way he has played up to this part in the season validated everything we got a glimpse of. If Greg Jennings can keep it up along with Bubba and Donald Lee, this offense can go a long way, despite not having any form of a running game. Don’t be fooled because at some point in the season they are going to have to run the ball, and I only hope by that time Mike McCarthy has come up with a way to do so. One of the things that I have been impressed with Mike about has been his ability to make game adjustments and in every game and that decision up to this point has worked out in the Packers favor. According to everything we hear from him, Mike wants to run the ball but knows he can’t. As I see it, he’d rather have the ball in Brett’s hands compared to Brandon Jackson’s. When it’s all said and done, at this point in the season they are 3-0!!!!! But as good as Brett has been playing, this year won’t be about the offense, it will be about the defense. This is the side of the ball that this team will have to hang its hats. Not only that, but I think the coordinators are learning to trust each other’s ability and really learn what the different sides can do. The more confidence they have in each other the more aggressive the game plans will be. For example Bob Sanders might call a more aggressive defensive game plan if he trusts that the offense can come back from being behind if the defense gets risky and gets burned. Just like Mike McCarthy has to trust that he can do something risky and the defense will stand tall and withstand an interception or fumble and bend and not break. Maybe that was in his mind when he didn’t kick a field goal and went for it on 4th and 1 last Sunday. Either way the important thing was that the defense got the offense the ball back and did their part. As I see it the Packers are 3-0 going into a stretch run where if they can beat the Vikings this week and go 4-0 and keep improving, there is just no telling just how good this team can be. The Packers have no running game to speak of and there isn’t any instant pill that they can take and make it all better. Don’t expect any running game to emerge from the ashes, yet the Packers are winning. A.J. Hawk has played solidly, but hasn’t done anything to make you remember he has, yet we all know that will get better. I don’t think Aaron Kampman or Cullen Jenkins have played up to the level that they expect from themselves. Again, let me say it on more time, they are 3-0. So with all that said as much as they need to improve in all phases this team will only get better, so when people ask me just how good this Packer team is, my answer is simple: I don’t know WHAT TO THINK except to say they are 3-0!!!!! Harry Sydney is a former fullback and assistant coach for the Green Bay Packers. E-mail him at mybrotherskeeperinc@hotmail.com.
Post #: 121
RE:The Packers - 9/28/2007 3:58:17 PM   
John Childress

"It looks like he's having a blast." That is the dumbest comment in the world and it keeps getting repeated. Who cares if he is having fun? The real comment about Favre this year is only 2 INTs after 3 games.
Post #: 122
RE:The Packers - 9/28/2007 4:13:31 PM   
Cheesehead Craig

[quote="John Childress"]"It looks like he's having a blast." That is the dumbest comment in the world and it keeps getting repeated. Who cares if he is having fun? The real comment about Favre this year is only 2 INTs after 3 games.[/quote] Absolutely JC. His recievers and TEs have really stepped up their play, he's playing a lot closer to his 95-97 form than he ever has. Plus, now that he knows he has a defense that can stop an opponent, he doesn't need to force the issue as much to win games. Granted, it's only been 3 games and there's a long season still to go.
Post #: 123
RE:The Packers - 9/28/2007 5:12:07 PM   
John Childress

[quote="Cheesehead Craig"][quote="John Childress"]"It looks like he's having a blast." That is the dumbest comment in the world and it keeps getting repeated. Who cares if he is having fun? The real comment about Favre this year is only 2 INTs after 3 games.[/quote] Absolutely JC. His recievers and TEs have really stepped up their play, he's playing a lot closer to his 95-97 form than he ever has. Plus, now that he knows he has a defense that can stop an opponent, he doesn't need to force the issue as much to win games. Granted, it's only been 3 games and there's a long season still to go. [/quote] Why can't guys who sit on national networks making millions give analysis like this? No, we get "he's having a blast" BS like that matters to anyone. Can Craig please replace Emmitt Smith!!!!!!!!
Post #: 124
RE:The Packers - 9/28/2007 5:51:18 PM   
David Levine

[quote="John Childress"][quote="Cheesehead Craig"][quote="John Childress"]"It looks like he's having a blast." That is the dumbest comment in the world and it keeps getting repeated. Who cares if he is having fun? The real comment about Favre this year is only 2 INTs after 3 games.[/quote] Absolutely JC. His recievers and TEs have really stepped up their play, he's playing a lot closer to his 95-97 form than he ever has. Plus, now that he knows he has a defense that can stop an opponent, he doesn't need to force the issue as much to win games. Granted, it's only been 3 games and there's a long season still to go. [/quote] Why can't guys who sit on national networks making millions give analysis like this? No, we get "he's having a blast" BS like that matters to anyone. Can Craig please replace Emmitt Smith!!!!!!!![/quote] Exactly. If I really think about it rationally, I kinda like Favre. Yeah, he's had excellent years, and he's had rough years, but it really is the media adulation that grinds on me. I get sick of being told how much I HAVE to like him. If he was just talked about like every other player (or at least every other Pro Bowler), it would be much easier. Especially if they'd call him out when he makes a mistake instead of saying "he's just being goofy or having fun". Also chalk me up in the category that thinks he's smarter than the "good old boy" act he puts on. That said, I'm rooting for him to get the INT record on Sunday. He can get the TD record in 3 or 4 weeks...
Post #: 125
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> General NFL Talk >> RE:The Packers Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode