Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Around The NFL (News) - 2012

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> General NFL Talk >> RE: Around The NFL (News) - 2012 Page: <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Around The NFL (News) - 2012 - 1/18/2013 7:26:10 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: JT2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

I'm not buying it. Like a kid in ND wouldn't use something like Skype to talk to his "girlfriend" daily.

And he made statements in the past that he had visited her.

Two likely scenarios I think.

A publicity stunt.

He's gay, and fabricated the GF so as not to get outed.

The 2nd one seems likely to me. Especially considering the whole religion/family/football aspects.

Actually, the publicity stunt sounds pretty real to me.  Trying to improve his draft status.

If he plays bad, it's because he is distracted by his sick/dying/dead girlfriend.  If he plays well, look at the adversity he had to get through to play so well with a sick/dying/dead girlfriend...

I wouldn't be surprised if there was an agent "advising" him on things to do to improve his draft status.

So there's my conspiracy theory for the week...

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 276
RE: Around The NFL (News) - 2012 - 1/21/2013 8:19:26 AM   
John Childress

Interesting stat from Mike and Mike

Playoff wins since 2008

Flacco 8
Sanchez 4
Brady 3

No more acceptance of mediocrity!!!! EVER!
Post #: 277
RE: Around The NFL (News) - 2012 - 1/21/2013 8:16:51 PM   
SoMnFan

Tony Gonzalez says today he will probably retire.
Dude .... you've made it look easy lately, in some great games ... you are not "done".
Guys a warrior. Just don't see how some can walk away when they are still peforming so well.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 278
RE: Around The NFL (News) - 2012 - 1/21/2013 8:17:45 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: John Childress

Playoff wins since 2008

Flacco 8
Sanchez 4
Brady 3

Pretty damn amazing
Flacco = Winner

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 279
RE: Around The NFL (News) - 2012 - 1/22/2013 7:16:55 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: John Childress

Playoff wins since 2008

Flacco 8
Sanchez 4
Brady 3

Pretty damn amazing
Flacco = Winner

Flacco is the first QB ever to have a playoff win in each of his first five seasons.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 280
RE: Around The NFL (News) - 2012 - 1/22/2013 8:40:41 AM   
John Childress

And he has 6 payoff road wins - most in NFL history!

Post #: 281
RE: Around The NFL (News) - 2012 - 1/22/2013 8:41:41 AM   
John Childress

quote:

Tony Gonzalez says today he will probably retire.
Dude .... you've made it look easy lately, in some great games ... you are not "done".
Guys a warrior. Just don't see how some can walk away when they are still peforming so well.

It would be nice if they could IR him for the 1st half of the season so he would have fresh legs for the playoffs

At the very least, they should draft another TE and only spot use him until about December

Love the guy

Post #: 282
RE: Around The NFL (News) - 2012 - 1/23/2013 2:10:55 PM   
John Childress

The 6-foot-6 Russell, who reportedly weighed 320 pounds in the fall, is down to 308 pounds, according to Yahoo! Sports. In addition to his work at the TEST Football Academy, Russell will be tutored by former NFL quarterback Jeff Garcia on technique, Hall of Fame running back Marshall Faulk on reading defenses and several other former players, doctors and trainers.

"The last few years, the things going through my life, football is my job, and it is how it feeds my family. People would say [that] I didn't love the game, but that pisses me off," Russell told Yahoo! Sports. "People don't know the real you, but I want people to know the real me and see what I can do. People are always saying that I'm a bust. I want to show them I'm not. I'm committed to this now."

Russell won only seven of his 25 starts in his career with Oakland. He completed just 52.1 percent of his passes in his career with 18 touchdowns, 23 interceptions, 15 lost fumbles and a passer rating of 65.2.

He was paid approximately $39 million for his three seasons with the Raiders.

Russell was charged with felony possession of a controlled substance, a drink containing codeine syrup, when sheriff's officers raided his home in July 2010. A grand jury, however, ultimately declined to indict him on the charges later that year.

Former NBA player John Lucas had been serving as Russell's life coach in late 2010, but the pair severed their relationship in 2011.

Post #: 283
RE: Around The NFL (News) - 2012 - 1/23/2013 2:14:01 PM   
John Childress

Hall of Fame receiver Jerry Rice, the Raiders' other starting receiver in the Super Bowl and now an ESPN analyst, backed Brown on his claims in comments to ESPN's "NFL Live" on Tuesday. He said the players found it "very unusual" to change everything at the last minute.

Rice said the Raiders' game plan did change on the Friday before the Super Bowl and the team was surprised by that, "because you worked all week long on running the football." On Friday, Callahan put in a new plan that had the team throwing the ball more than 60 times.

And in a way, maybe because he (Callahan) didn't like the Raiders, he was willing to sabotage just a little bit and let Jon Gruden go out and win this one

-- Jerry Rice, on ESPN's "NFL Live"
"Why would you wait to the last second to change the game plan?" Rice said.

He echoed Brown's theory that Callahan might have been willing to let Gruden win the game.

"I was very surprised that he waited 'til the last second, and I think a lot of the players they were surprised also, so in a way maybe because he didn't like the Raiders he decided, 'Hey look, maybe we should sabotage just a little bit and let Jon Gruden go out and win this one,'" Rice said.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8868196/tim-brown-bill-callahan-sabotaged-oakland-raiders-super-bowl-xxxvii-loss

Post #: 284
RE: Around The NFL (News) - 2012 - 1/23/2013 2:29:06 PM   
Trekgeekscott

That's a crock.

Perhaps he didn't think the run game would work with his Center disappearing?

So he changed it up. 

Why would you think a guy that coached you to the Superbowl would want to lose that game?  Coaches have as much pride in winning as the players.  their egos are just as big, if not in some cases bigger. 

This makes no sense. 

And Tim Brown just delayed his HOF entrance for a few more years.

Post #: 285
RE: Around The NFL (News) - 2012 - 1/23/2013 4:36:05 PM   
SoMnFan

He "didn't like the (team he was coaching)"

Ummmm, yeah, ok ..........
Do these two great receivers fully understand how stupid they sound?
His moves were panic-driven due to Barret Robbins melt-down.
No ones ever had to deal with that crap before. Callahans a great assistant, but a bad HC.
Everything's a controversy these days.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 286
RE: Around The NFL (News) - 2012 - 1/23/2013 5:04:36 PM   
SoMnFan

Good God
Gore fined $10Gs by the NoFunLeague for "low socks"
Wow. That's an org with wayyyyy too much time on it's hands, and wayyyy too much of a stick up its ass.
Who cares about that kind of crap?

< Message edited by SoMnFan -- 1/23/2013 5:05:37 PM >

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 287
RE: Around The NFL (News) - 2012 - 1/23/2013 6:43:15 PM   
John Childress

quote:

He "didn't like the (team he was coaching)"

Ummmm, yeah, ok ..........
Do these two great receivers fully understand how stupid they sound?
His moves were panic-driven due to Barret Robbins melt-down.
No ones ever had to deal with that crap before. Callahans a great assistant, but a bad HC.
Everything's a controversy these days.

Robbins left AFTER he changed the offense

Post #: 288
RE: Around The NFL (News) - 2012 - 1/23/2013 6:44:54 PM   
John Childress

My opinion is Callahan is just a really stupid dude.

He didn't even change the verbiage so every time Gannon audibled Sapp and Brooks knew exactly where the play was going and called it out

Callahan doesn't even belong in the NFL

or college

He is a dumbass who kissed enough ass to get jobs

Post #: 289
RE: Around The NFL (News) - 2012 - 1/24/2013 1:01:56 AM   
SoMnFan

Pessimistic about his chances of re-signing Darrelle Revis before he becomes a free agent next year, New York Jets owner Woody Johnson is open to trading the star cornerback, a person familiar with Johnson's thinking said Wednesday night.
Revis' contract will void after the 2013 season, and there is a clause in the deal that prohibits the Jets from using the franchise tag.
If they don't sign Revis to an extension, the Jets could lose him as a free agent.

The fact that Revis is just three months removed from major knee surgery complicates the matter. There also are salary-cap ramifications that could hinder a potential trade.
Johnson has "no confidence" in the Jets' ability to re-sign Revis, the person familiar with his thinking said. Despite the knee injury, he could seek more than $16 million per year, which could be prohibitive for the cap-strapped Jets. They're already $19.4 million over the 2013 salary cap.
Revis is due to make $6 million in 2013, including $3 million in base pay and the rest in various bonus money

< Message edited by SoMnFan -- 1/24/2013 2:21:12 AM >

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 290
RE: Around The NFL (News) - 2012 - 1/24/2013 7:24:33 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

Good God
Gore fined $10Gs by the NoFunLeague for "low socks"
Wow. That's an org with wayyyyy too much time on it's hands, and wayyyy too much of a stick up its ass.
Who cares about that kind of crap?

Have they fined/suspended Tom Brady for trying to kick Ed Reed in the balls yet?

Post #: 291
RE: Around The NFL (News) - 2012 - 1/24/2013 7:54:03 AM   
Trekgeekscott

To answer my own question. 

Tom Brady gets fined the same amount for trying to kick a guy in the balls as another guy gets fined for wearing low socks...

http://tracking.si.com/2013/01/24/patriots-quarterback-tom-brady-fined-10000-for-kick/?sct=uk_t2_a5

Seriously, the NFL is full of shit on punishments.

Post #: 292
RE: Around The NFL (News) - 2012 - 1/24/2013 8:02:22 AM   
John Childress

And they are afraid of the Pats

The Saints basically got knocked out of the NFL for a year for cheating whereas the Pats got a slap on the wrist

Post #: 293
RE: Around The NFL (News) - 2012 - 1/24/2013 11:59:37 AM   
Jeff Jesser

The PTI guys said it best last night. They won't do ANYTHING to the 2 golden boys ~ Manning and Brady.
Post #: 294
RE: Around The NFL (News) - 2012 - 1/24/2013 5:19:58 PM   
John Childress

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

The PTI guys said it best last night. They won't do ANYTHING to the 2 golden boys ~ Manning and Brady.

BINGO

Post #: 295
RE: Around The NFL (News) - 2012 - 1/28/2013 2:35:57 PM   
John Childress

A detailed account of the Ray Lewis saga

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/the_tarnish_on_ray_halo_YRCbY3bSvvbhKA5AvqpmbM

At around 3:30 in the morning, Lewis and his crew of about 10 headed outside, where Oakley began to get aggressive with two other clubgoers — themselves part of a group of about 10. Oakley kept at it and got whacked on the side of the head with a champagne bottle. Then, Lewis would later testify, “all hell broke loose at that point. Everybody was throwing fists. Everybody was punching.”

Everyone, that is, except Ray Lewis, who testified that while all this was going on, he calmly rested against his limo, watching as his friend Sweeting was dragged and assaulted by two huge men.

“I don’t fight,” Lewis testified. “Period.”

Lewis wasn’t so calm, though, when two young men collapsed in the street, covered in blood. Lewis yelled at Robertson and his crew to get in the limo, and they scrambled and sped away as guns were fired at their tires. Minutes later, when the car came to a stop in a parking lot, Lewis took control of the situation.

“Everybody just shut the f--k up!” he yelled. “This ain’t going to come back on nobody but me.”

Meanwhile, those two young men lay dying in street: Richard Lollar, 24, and Jacinth Baker, 21. Both had records — Lollar for possession of marijuana, while Baker was wanted for violating probation on gun possession — and had recently moved to Atlanta from Akron, Ohio. Baker wanted to be an artist; Lollar, whose fiancée was pregnant, was a barber.

“These guys were slaughtered,” said Cindy Lollar-Owens, Richard’s aunt. “Like someone was getting a kick out of it.”

It didn’t take long for police to find the limo, shot through with bullet holes, blood in the interior. It sat just a mile from the crime scene, and when cops walked into the lobby, they found Lewis’ driver, Fassett, trembling and chain-smoking.

Fassett told the police he’d seen Sweeting, Oakley and Lewis all fighting and provided details that only an eyewitness could know. He said he’d heard Oakley boast, “I stabbed mine,” and Sweeting reply, “I stabbed mine, too.” When police got to Lewis’ room, they found blood there, too — but not Lewis, who had fled to his fiancée’s family home

Lewis himself felt he had little to worry about. The Ravens were standing firmly behind him. Lewis’ own private investigators beat the cops to just about every witness in the limo; they all got lawyers. His driver, Fassett, became increasingly unsure of what went down that night.

The trial began on May 15, 2000, and quickly fell apart. The state’s star witness, Fassett, recanted much of what he had told police. He swore he’d never seen Lewis strike anyone.

Post #: 296
RE: Around The NFL (News) - 2012 - 1/28/2013 8:13:30 PM   
John Childress

Colin Kaepernick hopes to follow in Doug Williams' footsteps

12:25 AM By Bob Glauber
San Francisco 49ers' quarterback Colin Kaepernick passes during

Photo credit: AP

NEW ORLEANS — Doug Williams became the first African American quarterback to win the Super Bowl when the Redskins beat the Broncos in Super Bowl XXII.

Twenty five years later, 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick said it would be special to equal Williams’ ground- breaking accomplishment.

“It’s a great opportunity to show it doesn’t matter what your skin color is,” Kaepernick said last...

Post #: 297
RE: Around The NFL (News) - 2012 - 1/28/2013 8:34:42 PM   
Todd M

If it truly didn't matter then it wouldn't be a special accomplishment to repeat it.

I personally wasn't thinking about that one bit.
Post #: 298
RE: Around The NFL (News) - 2012 - 1/28/2013 9:26:26 PM   
John Childress

No, he said to show it doesn't matter which clearly implies that it matters to many

Post #: 299
RE: Around The NFL (News) - 2012 - 1/29/2013 2:43:11 PM   
DeLain

Like Todd, I wasn't thinking about "that" one bit either until now. I am still like huh?

Anyways I think there will be a ton more people rooting for San Fran because they have a half black QB then people rooting against San Fran because of it. Which side is more racist? Anyways I digress.

I understand that racial issues is more charged nationally for the presidency (Obama) for example...but for this SB?...I am still like huh? Really?

< Message edited by DeLain -- 1/29/2013 2:44:24 PM >
Post #: 300
Page:   <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> General NFL Talk >> RE: Around The NFL (News) - 2012 Page: <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode