Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Around The NFL (News) - 2012

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> General NFL Talk >> RE: Around The NFL (News) - 2012 Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Around The NFL (News) - 2012 - 1/9/2013 1:44:51 PM   
Rob Viking

I will say this put Luck on Washington or Seattle and they might improve by a game or two. Put Griffin on the Colts they might finish 8-8, with Wilson probably 5-11.
Post #: 226
RE: Around The NFL (News) - 2012 - 1/10/2013 2:18:34 PM   
J Jeffreys

Gotta weigh in on Shanahan v Dr. Andrews. As I understand the situation, Shanahan said he put rg back in a game because rg was cleared by Andrews. Andrews later was quoted as saying he never cleared rg because he hadn't examined rg. Later Andrews said it wasn't a case of either one lying. It was miscommunication.

Maybe so, but Shanahan has risked a player's health before. And that is undisputed. In the Denver GB Super Bowl, Terrell Davis was suffering from a severe migraine. According to TD, literally blinding pain. TD told Shanahan not only was his head about to split like a melon under Gallagher's care, but he couldn't see. Shanahan told TD to just go in. They would fake the handoff and run play action but the team needed him in there to sell it. Not going to debate the heroics or stupidity of the action. Ronnie Lott chopping off his fingertip to keep playing etc are part of football heroic lore. That's another topic. And I'm happy to weigh in on that another time. The point here is Shanhan's integrity.

And Shanahan has little to none. He's dirty. He gets too much credit for finding 6th round RB's who excel. They excel and they all do primarily because Shanahan has OL go at DL and LB knees. They roll around when they lose blocking advantages. I remember reading quotes after a Viking Broncos game during Denny's tenure. Viking players were quoted as saying the Broncos players told Viking defenders to watch their knees. Broncos were coming after them. Give the players credit. They at least showed enough concern to honor the code and warn their opponents.

I have no trouble believing Shanahan knowingly risked his franchise QB figuring he could somehow some way get another if he needed to in order to win today. It's short-sighted and loathesome, but that's who the d-bag is. That's how he operates. That's why he gets no respect from this fan.

Call me J
Post #: 227
RE: Around The NFL (News) - 2012 - 1/10/2013 5:55:08 PM   
SoMnFan

Love me some Eric Decker

AP Photo/Jack DempseyEric Decker, left, and Demaryius Thomas have both benefited from the arrival of Peyton Manning in Denver while forging a close friendship on and off the field.

They're the same size, same age and both went from Tim Tebow (F-150) to Peyton Manning (F18).
They're both country, both unmarried heartthrobs and both as quiet as a Las Vegas Sunday morning.
They became the youngest teammates in NFL history to go for more than 1,000 yards and 10 touchdowns in the same season.

They have the same agent, same marketing guy and once lived together as rookies.

"They're the exact same guy," says Denver Broncos teammate Greg Orton, "just different colors."
Until game days, that is.
On most game days in Denver, Eric Decker's mom flies in from Minnesota, sits in the stands and often has dinner afterward with Decker and his fiancée, country music singer Jessie James.
On most game days, Demaryius Thomas' mom puts on her white No. 88 T-shirts, along with 30 of her closest friends, and watches Demaryius play on one of the little TVs at the women's federal prison in Tallahassee, Fla. The T-shirts are white because colors aren't allowed in the prison.
They never miss his games, yet they've never seen one live, not in the NFL, not in college, not in high school.
His mom, Katina (Tina) Smith, had Demaryius when she was only 15, on Christmas Day, 1987. When he was 12, his grandmother, Minnie Thomas, was sentenced to two lifetime sentences for cocaine trafficking and his mother got 20 years for conspiracy to possess and distribute cocaine, after refusing to testify against Minnie.
Spending the last 13 years in jail has been hard on everybody, and that includes the child they always called Bey-Bey.
"I used to get angry about it," Demaryius says. "I'd get really, really angry. I wouldn't talk to nobody. But I've grown up."
Now he visits them when he can get to Florida, and talks and prays with his mother over the phone before and after every game, which isn't easy.

"I send my mom money so she can call me before and after every game," says Thomas, who wound up being raised by his uncle. "It's our tradition. Have to talk to my mom before the game."
There's been a lot to talk about. How Thomas went from 32 catches for 551 yards with Tebow (and Kyle Orton) at QB last year to 94 catches for 1,434 yards with Manning this year. How thrilled he is to finally make it through a regular season without getting hurt (he says it's the praying). And how a white teammate from the far north, Eric Decker, has become best friend to a black kid from Georgia. ("Black and Decker," they like to call themselves.)
You might become best friends, too, if you both had to deal with the joy and the hell of playing with a picky perfectionist like Manning every day.
"Our favorite," Decker says, "is when he comes to you on the sideline after you screw up and asks you a question he already knows the answer to. He'll be like, 'Now, on the down and in, are you supposed to cut that up at 5 yards or 7?' And you'll be like, 'Five,' even though you both know you were at 7. And he'll be like, 'Oh, OK. Thanks.'"
People think Manning has done for Decker and Thomas what Madonna did for bras. But they might try looking at it from the other end.
When Broncos boss John Elway was trying to convince Manning to sign with Denver, "my big selling point was those two receivers," Elway says. "He didn't know how good they were. I said, 'They're both 6-3, 225. One [Thomas] runs a 4.4 and the other runs a 4.5 40. And they're both young [25]. I sold him. I think those two guys get underplayed in all this."
Manning doesn't underplay them now. He's been amazed how fast they've checked off the boxes on his Manning Must-Do list.

[+] Enlarge
Dustin Bradford/Getty ImagesDemaryius Thomas, Peyton Manning and Eric Decker did a lot of celebrating this year. "It's kind of been like cramming for a test and I think both of those guys have put in the time to cram," says Manning, who's 11 years older. "We've really worked in the short time that we've had together."

It's also helped that wherever Manning seems to throw it, Black and Decker find the tools to pull it in. In the final game against Kansas City, Thomas went up so high for a touchdown catch you'd think he was doing the Indian rope trick. And Decker performed a Greg Louganis swan dive to come up with another.
With Manning signed for four more years, and Decker and Thomas becoming one of the two best receiving tandems in the NFL (along with Atlanta's Roddy White and Julio Jones), you'd think Thomas' goal would be Pro Bowls, Super Bowls or the Hall of Fame. But it's not. His goal is just to keep playing for at least five more years.

That's when he thinks his mom could be out.
She's not scheduled to be released until 2019, but Florida lawmakers are considering a law to ease prison overcrowding, releasing some nonviolent convicts who've served at least half of their terms. Depending on the final version of the bill, and whether it passes, Smith could be out by 2017.

He'd be in his eighth year then.
"That's my major goal," he says, "to still be playing when she gets out."
He's dreamed of that day: bringing her to the game, where she'll sit, how often he'll look at her, and she at her Bey-Bey.
"Both of them," he says, referring to his grandmother as well. "I'd love to get both of them to a game someday. That would be ... wow. That's going to be a happy day."

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 228
RE: Around The NFL (News) - 2012 - 1/10/2013 9:40:42 PM   
SoMnFan

The Cleveland Browns have hired Rob Chudzinski as their new coach, a source told ESPN.
Chudzinski has spent the past two seasons as the Carolina Panthers' offensive coordinator. He also served two stints as an assistant with the Browns, the team he rooted for while growing up in Toledo, Ohio.
The Browns will formally introduce Chudzinski at a news conference on Friday.
The hire of Chudzinski ends a two-week coaching search for the Browns, who fired Pat Shurmur after going 5-11 this season.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 229
RE: Around The NFL (News) - 2012 - 1/11/2013 6:24:56 AM   
John Childress

A guy like this should have never been drafted in the NFL

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8832829/chris-rainey-pittsburgh-steelers-waived-arrest-battery-florida

No more acceptance of mediocrity!!!! EVER!
Post #: 230
RE: Around The NFL (News) - 2012 - 1/11/2013 7:25:19 AM   
dly1957

Seau the head case and his gun..

Seau's ex-wife, Gina, and his oldest son, Tyler, 23, told ABC News and ESPN in an exclusive interview they were informed last week that Seau's brain had tested positive for chronic traumatic encephalopathy, a neurodegenerative disease that can lead to dementia, memory loss and depression.

She said the family was told that Seau's disease resulted from "a lot of head-to-head collisions over the course of 20 years of playing in the NFL. And that it gradually, you know, developed the deterioration of his brain and his ability to think logically."

< Message edited by dly1957 -- 1/11/2013 7:32:25 AM >
Post #: 231
RE: Around The NFL (News) - 2012 - 1/11/2013 11:57:40 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: John Childress

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8832829/chris-rainey-pittsburgh-steelers-waived-arrest-battery-florida

Why not?

People make mistakes..and football is a violent sport.  The violence is to a degree encouraged on the football field.  It's hard to get young man like this to understand that the violence needs to be turned on and off. 

There's no excuse for what he did, and he is suffering the consequences...but seriously he shouldn't ever get a second chance?  The previous case he was charged, pled guilty and completed the sentence he was given.  He had been a model citizen since. 

Now he has a lapse of good judgement and he shouldn't ever have been drafted? 

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 232
RE: Around The NFL (News) - 2012 - 1/11/2013 1:38:42 PM   
marty

I think the 49ers should be starting Alex Smith to beat the Packers. Smith beat the Packers in Lambau, and he could beat them in SF.

Kaepernick is inexperienced, and those are the kind of QBs that don't usually do well in playoff games, especially against an experienced DC like Capers. I think Capers will have a good plan, blitzing Woodson, mixing things up. Matthews had a strong game against the 49ers in the 1st game, he'll likely do well. I suspect a Kaepernick pick (or several) will be the difference in this game, leading to a Packers win.

I think a running QB can do well against the Packers' defense because they are sometimes to busy cheating, holding and dragging WRs down to notice a QB that took off quickly from the pocket. I also think the Packers have some guys in the 2ndary who will take more chances now with Woodson in the lineup, and they are likely to make some big plays, but they are also guys that don't tackle very well, so guys that are good at YAC like Crabtree and Davis could do well. Maybe this is a game where Moss REALLY brings it ?

I think Rodgers will see Kap running, and will show that HE too can run. I think the Pack will stick with their conservative plan, like they did against Minnesota, and like SF did in defeating GB the 1st game of the season. Lots of short stuff underneath, some screens, and lots of running. I think Rodgers will end up making some big plays in the game in the 2nd half, by RUNNING for some 1st downs.

Packers +3 seems like a STEAL ! I think the Pack will win by 10.
Post #: 233
RE: Around The NFL (News) - 2012 - 1/11/2013 9:05:06 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

Why not?

People make mistakes..and football is a violent sport.  The violence is to a degree encouraged on the football field.  It's hard to get young man like this to understand that the violence needs to be turned on and off. 

There's no excuse for what he did, and he is suffering the consequences...but seriously he shouldn't ever get a second chance?  The previous case he was charged, pled guilty and completed the sentence he was given.  He had been a model citizen since. 

Now he has a lapse of good judgement and he shouldn't ever have been drafted? 

Hardly seems to have set some new "bar" for crimes committed by NFL players.
Post #: 234
RE: Around The NFL (News) - 2012 - 1/13/2013 11:27:06 AM   
David Levine

Dan Le Batard: Jason Taylor’s pain shows NFL’s world of hurt
BY DAN LE BATARD
DLEBATARD@MIAMIHERALD.COM

As America’s most popular sport encounters a liability problem … as gladiator Junior Seau kills himself with a shotgun blast to the chest and leaves his damaged brain to study … as awareness and penalties increase around an NFL commissioner confronting the oxymoronic task of making a violent game safe … and as the rules change but the culture really doesn’t … we think we know this forever-growing monster we are cheering on Sundays. But we don’t. We have no earthly idea.

Dolphins legend Jason Taylor, for example, grew up right before our eyes, from a skinny Akron kid to a future Hall of Famer, his very public path out in front of those lights for 15 years. But take a look at what was happening in the dark. He was just a few blessed hours from having his leg amputated. He played games, plural, with a hidden and taped catheter running from his armpit to his heart. His calf was oozing blood for so many months, from September of one year to February of another, that he had to have the equivalent of a drain installed. This is a story of the private pain endured in pursuit of public glory, just one man’s broken body on a battlefield littered with thousands of them. As death and depression and dementia addle football’s mind, persuading some of the gladiators to kill themselves as a solution to end all the pain, and as the media finally shines a light on football’s concussed skull at the very iceberg-top of the problem, we begin the anatomy of Taylor’s story at the very bottom … with his feet.

He had torn tissues in the bottom of both of them. But he wanted to play. He always wanted to play. So he went to a private room inside the football stadium.

“Like a dungeon,” he says now. “One light bulb swaying back and forth. There was a damp, musty smell. It was like the basement in Pulp Fiction.”

The doctors handed him a towel. For his mouth. To keep him from biting his tongue. And to muffle his screaming.

“It is the worst ever,” he says. “By far. All the nerve endings in your feet.”

That wasn’t the ailment. No, that was the cure. A needle has to go in that foot, and there aren’t a lot of soft, friendly places for a big needle in a foot. That foot pain is there for a reason, of course. It is your body screaming to your brain for help. A warning. The needle mutes the screaming and the warning.

“The first shot is ridiculous,” Taylor says. “Ridiculously horrible. Excruciating.”

But the first shot to the foot wasn’t even the remedy. The first shot was just to numb the area … in preparation for the second shot, which was worse.

“You can’t kill the foot because then it is just a dead nub,” he says. “You’ve got to get the perfect mix [of anesthesia]. I was crying and screaming. I’m sweating just speaking about it now.”

How’d he play?

“I didn’t play well,” he says. “But I played better than my backup would have.”

He didn’t question these needles or this pain, didn’t question the dungeon or the doctors. Consequences were for other people, weaker ones. There was only one time Taylor questioned the worth of what he did for a living, while crying and curled up on the pavement of a parking lot outside his doctor’s office. It was the needle in the spine that made him wonder about the price of this game, but those questions were every bit as fleeting as the soothing provided by those epidurals. He didn’t practice much in 2006 because of a herniated disk in his back, and he needed the medicine pregnant women use for labor just to get to Sundays. Taylor’s wife was helping him down the stairs as he left the doctor’s office after one such epidural, but that wasn’t the bad part. His back locked up as he tried to get in the passenger seat of their car, making him crumble.

“I started shaking on the ground,” he says. “My wife was trying to pick me up. I was in tears.”

Help came to get him back upstairs … to get another needle in a different spot on the spine. He won Defensive Player of the Year that season, believe it or not. Still tells Nick Saban that he won that award because of how little he practiced that year, keeping his body fresh from the daily ravages of the job.

“There was a period of a year and a half or two years when I couldn’t put my kids to bed,” he says. “My wife and I laugh about it. You have to bend down. I couldn’t with their weight. I would just hover. I would get as low as I could, and then drop them, and they’d bounce.”

He isn’t bragging, and he isn’t complaining. He wants to make sure you know that. He feels lucky and blessed to have done what he did. He is just answering questions matter-of-factly about the insanity of the world where he worked. It is a barbaric game, trying to be more of a man than the next man, putting your pain threshold against your muscled opponent’s, all of these competition-aholics colliding at an inhumane rate of speed.

So did he lie to the doctors?

Yes.

Did he get in that player deli line outside the trainer’s room before the game to get that secret elixir, a Toradol shot in the butt that would lubricate and soothe away the aches for three hours despite its side effects (chest pains, headaches, nausea, bloody stool, coughing up blood, vomit that looks like coffee grounds)?

Yes.

Did he think this was smart or healthy?

No.

Did he care that it wasn’t smart or healthy?

No.

Taylor was leg-whipped during a game once in Washington. Happens all the time. Common. He was sore and had a bruise, but the pregame Toradol and the postgame pain medicine and prescribed sleeping pills masked the suffering, so he went to dinner and thought he was fine. Until he couldn’t sleep. And the medication wore off. It was 2 a.m. He noticed that the only time his calf didn’t hurt is when he was walking around his house or standing. So he found a spot that gave him relief on a staircase and fell asleep standing up, leaning against the wall. But as soon as his leg would relax from the sleep, the pain would wake him up again. He called the team trainer and asked if he could take another Vicodin. The trainer said absolutely not. This need to kill the pain is what former No. 1 pick Keith McCants says started a pain-killer addiction that turned to street drugs when the money ran out … and led him to try to hang himself to break the cycle of pain.

The trainer rushed to Taylor’s house. Taylor thought he was overreacting. The trainer told him they were immediately going to the hospital. A test kit came out. Taylor’s blood pressure was so high that the doctors thought the test kit was faulty. Another test. Same crazy numbers. Doctors demanded immediate surgery. Taylor said absolutely not, that he wanted to call his wife and his agent and the famed Dr. James Andrews for a second opinion. Andrews also recommended surgery, and fast. Taylor said, fine, he’d fly out in owner Daniel Snyder’s private jet in the morning. Andrews said that was fine but that he’d have to cut off Taylor’s leg upon arrival. Taylor thought he was joking. Andrews wasn’t. Compartment syndrome. Muscle bleeds into the cavity, causing nerve damage. Two more hours, and Taylor would have had one fewer leg. Fans later sent him supportive notes about their own compartment syndrome, many of them in wheelchairs.

Taylor’s reaction?

“I was mad because I had to sit out three weeks,” he says. “I was hot.”

He had seven to nine inches of nerve damage.

“The things we do,” he explains. “Players play. It is who we are. We always think we can overcome.”

Everything is lined up to get the unhealthy player back on the field — the desire of the player, the guy behind you willing to endure more for the paycheck, the urging of the coaches and teammates, the culture that mocks and eradicates the weak and the doctor whose job it is not necessarily to keep the player healthy but healthy enough to be valuable to the team, which isn’t the same thing at all. The doctor gives the player the diagnosis and the consequences on the sidelines with in-game injuries, without the benefit of an MRI, and then the player makes a choice with the information about whether to take a pain-masking shot. And the choice is always to play.

“Damn right,” Taylor says.

You never know if all those needles — and Taylor took a lot — produce more pain. Science has linked Toradol to plantar fasciitis (the aforementioned torn tendons in Taylor’s feet), so Taylor might have been taking one painkiller … that helped create a different pain … and thus required a different painkiller. That was certainly the case after his compartment syndrome. He developed a staph infection that required that catheter to run from armpit to heart with antibiotics. He’d hook himself up to it for a half-hour a day, like a car getting gas, letting the balls of medicine roll into his body. Then he concealed the catheter in tape under his arm so that an opponent wouldn’t know he was weak. Opponents will find your weakness, At the bottom of a fumble pile, a Buffalo Bills player once squeezed the hell out of Taylor’s Adam’s Apple to try and dislodge the football. Anything you read about the PICC line catheter (peripherally inserted central catheter) Taylor used will tell you to avoid swimming or weightlifting or anything that might get it dirty or sweaty. Taylor was playing with it in for weeks while colliding in the most violent of contact sports. Doctors told him it wasn’t a good idea to play with it in. He ignored them.

The training room? Taylor hated guys who “took up residency” there, calling them “soft.” His mentor, Dan Marino, has a quote up on one of the walls in there, something about how being in the training room doesn’t make you part of the team. Taylor was proud to learn that one of his own quotes has been put up in there, too: Be a player, not a patient. So even the one solitary place designated for healing in football, the one safe haven, is literally surrounded on all sides by walls of voices telling the player to get the hell out of here.

“Would I do it all again? I would,” Taylor says. “If I had to sleep on the steps standing up for 15 years, I would do it.”

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/01/13/v-fullstory/3179926/dan-le-batard-jason-taylors-pain.html#storylink=cpy
Post #: 235
RE: Around The NFL (News) - 2012 - 1/13/2013 12:56:13 PM   
Eric K

Fox took a knee with a HOF QB known for being able to strike quick with 31 seconds left and a couple of timeouts and played ultra conservative with a rookie backup running back and ignoring his HOF QB on 3rd downs.

To me, the way Fox coached is even more gutless than what Denny did at the end of the game in '98.

If I were GM, he would be fired.  Hands down Fox contributed and is largely responsible for that loss.  Same old Fox from Carolina.  Never was, and never will be.
Post #: 236
RE: Around The NFL (News) - 2012 - 1/13/2013 2:13:22 PM   
Todd M

quote:

This is a story of the private pain endured in pursuit of public glory

As apposed to take a pic take a pic - smirks...yeah I was THAT bruised.
Post #: 237
RE: Around The NFL (News) - 2012 - 1/14/2013 2:32:07 AM   
dly1957

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

quote:

This is a story of the private pain endured in pursuit of public glory

As apposed to take a pic take a pic - smirks...yeah I was THAT bruised.

"The culture that mocks and eradicates the weak"

The culture of Todd.. although, that is and of itself, an oxymoron.
Post #: 238
RE: Around The NFL (News) - 2012 - 1/14/2013 6:53:52 AM   
John Childress

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rob Viking

I will say this put Luck on Washington or Seattle and they might improve by a game or two. Put Griffin on the Colts they might finish 8-8, with Wilson probably 5-11.

Pure bull

Wilson is already a BETTER QB than Luck in every possible dimension

He is a better passer and a far better runner

Wilson tied the NFL record for TD passes by a rookie

Incredible playoff run

Pure nonsense

Post #: 239
RE: Around The NFL (News) - 2012 - 1/14/2013 6:56:11 AM   
John Childress

It just kills some people that Luck is not the best QB

Is it because

A. He was pre-ordained and you can't change your mind based on facts?
B. You consider Wilson a "running QB" despite his incredible passer rating, TDs passes, etc.
C. You just don't like Black QBs?

Which one?

Wilson did everything Luck did and better

Including taking his team further

Post #: 240
RE: Around The NFL (News) - 2012 - 1/14/2013 7:30:56 AM   
JT2

Luck had a very good rookie season, and I (and just about everybody else) think he's going to be a top QB eventually.

Wilson and Griffin III were even better, a lot better.
Post #: 241
RE: Around The NFL (News) - 2012 - 1/14/2013 7:37:46 AM   
John Childress

Wins

Luck 11-5
Wilson 11-5

TD passes

Luck 23
Wilson 26

INTs

Luck 18
Wilson 10

Passer Rating

Luck 76.5
Wilson 100.0

QBR

Wilson 69.6
Luck 65.0

Playoff performance

Luck 0-1, 51.9%, 288 yards, 0 TDs, 1 INT, 59.8 passer rating
Wilson 1-1, 62.9%, 572 yards, 3 TDs, 1 INT, 102.4 passer rating, 1 TD rushing

Post #: 242
RE: Around The NFL (News) - 2012 - 1/14/2013 7:42:42 AM   
John Childress

I am sure now someone will no longer want to use passer rating for measuring QBs!

Post #: 243
RE: Around The NFL (News) - 2012 - 1/14/2013 7:47:22 AM   
John Childress

I heard someone on the radio last night ranking Peyton Manning ahead of Johnny Unitas because Manning has to do so much more (sounds like the Luck nonsense).

1. Peyton's doing so much more is exactly what causes him to choke in the playoffs. Montana just used to do his job, nothing more, and he was the best.

2. Peyton would have never lasted in Unitas' era when defensive linemen could head slap, smash QBs to the ground AFTER they threw the ball, and WRs could be beat up all the way down the field.

Today's QB ratings and numbers are so inflated by rules changes that they are like the steroid era of HR hitters in baseball.

Kerri Collins has more career passing yards than Joe Montana

Tony Romo is the 5th highest rated passer all time by passer rating
Culpepper is 13th

Post #: 244
RE: Around The NFL (News) - 2012 - 1/14/2013 7:55:03 AM   
JT2

I never even really understood comparing Manning to Brady. To me, one is much, much better.

Manning performs well in the regular season, in doors or in warm weather. Some of his playoff performances, especially in the elements, were awful.
Eli is better in those conditions than Peyton.

The media love Peyton gets does not match up with his play. Never has.
Post #: 245
RE: Around The NFL (News) - 2012 - 1/14/2013 8:01:52 AM   
John Childress

quote:

ORIGINAL: JT2

I never even really understood comparing Manning to Brady. To me, one is much, much better.

Manning performs well in the regular season, in doors or in warm weather. Some of his playoff performances, especially in the elements, were awful.
Eli is better in those conditions than Peyton.

The media love Peyton gets does not match up with his play. Never has.

Camelot

people like "royal family" nonsense and the Mannings re the football equivalent

I can't see how anyone makes a case of Manning over Brady - not Peyton!

Peyton has had MUCH better offensive weapons than Brady and won a lot less big games

Not buying that Manning didn't have help

5 times the Colts had Top 10 defenses in scoring allowed
once they were #1
Another time they were #2

That team always had talent on both sides of the ball and all they managed was 1 ring

Post #: 246
RE: Around The NFL (News) - 2012 - 1/14/2013 9:44:12 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

Pure bull

Incredible playoff run

Pure nonsense

On this I am going to agree.  Wilson was better than Luck.  Luck wouldn't have done any better on the Redskins or Seahawks.  He did well and that team played inspired football, but come on.

Wilson fell to the third round because he is short.  He proved to the world that he belongs under center.  And he took that team to the playoffs.   Packers can suck it.  Wilson beat them.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 247
RE: Around The NFL (News) - 2012 - 1/14/2013 10:17:06 AM   
Rob Viking

quote:

quote:

Pure bull

Incredible playoff run

Pure nonsense

I've watched Wilson since his days at NC St, I've always felt he could be a good QB in the NFL. But look at Seattle's team, they are absolutely stacked. They might have the best OLine in the league, a very good RB, good receivers and TEs and most importantly for a young QB they have a great defense. Great defenses help young QBs because the game never gets away from them.

Luck has a terrible defense so he has to manage the game in a way where his team has to keep possesion, to keep their defense off the field and wear down the opposition. I've watched Wilson go 2 quarters and look totally inept only to come back to life in the 4th. If he played that way with the Colts there would be no coming back because they would be down by 24 points by that point but with Seattle they're only 1 score down. Go back and look at the NE, Chi, GB, Car games.
Post #: 248
RE: Around The NFL (News) - 2012 - 1/14/2013 10:33:43 AM   
Rob Viking

The Colts consist of 2/3 a rookie team.

The Seahawks led the league with the fewest ppg allowed with 15.3 the Colts give up 24.2. The Seahawks were near the top with 34 TO forced while the Colts are near the bottom with 22.

The Seahawks OLine has 2 pro bowlers and should have 3.

My original argument was based more on if you had switched QBs, Wilson would really struggle in Indy while Luck would do slightly better in Seattle. Wilson has been great this year but he has plenty more help than Luck.
Post #: 249
RE: Around The NFL (News) - 2012 - 1/14/2013 10:35:43 AM   
Trekgeekscott

I think in the long run Luck will be better...but this year.  He was the third best rookie QB.  Wilson and Griffin were better.

Post #: 250
Page:   <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> General NFL Talk >> RE: Around The NFL (News) - 2012 Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode