Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Other college hockey (BSU, UND, SCSU, etc)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Other college hockey (BSU, UND, SCSU, etc) Page: <<   < prev  86 87 [88] 89 90   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Other college hockey (BSU, UND, SCSU, etc) - 6/18/2020 7:45:48 PM   
twinsfan

So here's the rumor....

The CCHA, even though dormant, currently has a "brand name" better than the current WCHA. So they are bringing back the CCHA, which was the home of Michigan and Michigan State before the Big 10 hockey conference. From there, the goal is to bring in the 7 non-Alaska and non-Alabama teams from the WCHA into the CCHA. I suspect the Alaska teams may have to drop hockey, or at least DI hockey, as they are already cash-strapped because of travel. Huntsville has a decent tradition for a southern school, but without a conference, they might be done too. To get to 8 teams, the CCHA will likely try to add Western Michigan from the NCHC. That would open the door for Arizona State to join the NCHC.

BUT....the OTHER RUMOR is that the NCHC would like to add Minnesota State (makes sense, a powerhouse in recent years) AND add Bemidji State too! This would be a dream scenario for MSU and BSU. They would be in a conference with Duluth, St Cloud and UND. The Gophers would be soooooooooooo jealous.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 2176
RE: Other college hockey (BSU, UND, SCSU, etc) - 6/18/2020 8:14:10 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

So here's the rumor....

The CCHA, even though dormant, currently has a "brand name" better than the current WCHA. So they are bringing back the CCHA, which was the home of Michigan and Michigan State before the Big 10 hockey conference. From there, the goal is to bring in the 7 non-Alaska and non-Alabama teams from the WCHA into the CCHA. I suspect the Alaska teams may have to drop hockey, or at least DI hockey, as they are already cash-strapped because of travel. Huntsville has a decent tradition for a southern school, but without a conference, they might be done too. To get to 8 teams, the CCHA will likely try to add Western Michigan from the NCHC. That would open the door for Arizona State to join the NCHC.

BUT....the OTHER RUMOR is that the NCHC would like to add Minnesota State (makes sense, a powerhouse in recent years) AND add Bemidji State too! This would be a dream scenario for MSU and BSU. They would be in a conference with Duluth, St Cloud and UND. The Gophers would be soooooooooooo jealous.

If the NCHC could add Mankato (I will never call them Minnesota State) and BSU that would rock. We're already the best College Hockey Conference by a mile. This would make it two miles.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2177
RE: Other college hockey (BSU, UND, SCSU, etc) - 8/19/2020 7:57:28 PM   
twinsfan

Alaska-Anchorage has dropped college hockey. This sucks! Alaska-Fairbanks is probably next.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 2178
RE: Other college hockey (BSU, UND, SCSU, etc) - 8/19/2020 8:02:07 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

Alaska-Anchorage has dropped college hockey. This sucks! Alaska-Fairbanks is probably next.

yeah those teams have always been some nice wins to pad the record.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2179
RE: Other college hockey (BSU, UND, SCSU, etc) - 10/26/2020 2:29:58 PM   
SoMnFan

I see Beavers and Mavs in the preseason Top 20
Predicted to be the best 2 WCHA programs

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 2180
RE: Other college hockey (BSU, UND, SCSU, etc) - 10/26/2020 2:51:25 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

I see Beavers and Mavs in the preseason Top 20
Predicted to be the best 2 WCHA programs

Uh oh. I prefer the underdog role for the Beavers.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 2181
RE: Other college hockey (BSU, UND, SCSU, etc) - 11/20/2020 3:04:24 PM   
twinsfan

The Beavers kick off their season on Sunday, hosting the Minnesota State Mavericks.

Expectations are high in Bemidji, as the team will try and improve on last year’s second-place finish in the conference. With many players returning, the Beavers should prove to be a difficult out again, and may challenge for a conference title.

Four of the team’s top scorers are back this season, and Bemidji coach Tom Serratore will lean heavily on forwards Owen Sillinger, Alex Ierullo and Aaron Miller. On defense, sophomore Elias Rosen should be a key piece again, as he added 5-19-24, and leads an experienced defensive corps.

“We like our group, and we’re obviously hoping there’s a carryover coming into this winter,” Bemidji State coach Tom Serratore said. “We have 14 upperclassmen and 14 underclassmen, six seniors and eight juniors. We’re gonna rely on this leadership group and the talented upperclassmen.”

The Beavers rode Zach Driscoll in net last year to plenty of success. The senior had a .937 save percentage, good enough for fourth in the nation.

“We return 22 players, led by our goaltender Zach Driscoll, who had a heck of a year last year,” Serratore said. “He’s gonna be asked to do a lot, just like we asked a lot out of him last year.”

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 2182
RE: Other college hockey (BSU, UND, SCSU, etc) - 11/23/2020 10:30:59 AM   
twinsfan

Terrible start to the season. Beavers get crushed 5-0 by Minnesota State.

Multiple Minnesota State players tested positive for COVID, so today's game is postponed.

Gonna be a long (or short?) season for the Beavers.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 2183
RE: Other college hockey (BSU, UND, SCSU, etc) - 11/23/2020 10:31:50 AM   
SoMnFan

Don't sell the farm yet
Mavericks are pretty solid

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 2184
RE: Other college hockey (BSU, UND, SCSU, etc) - 12/2/2020 10:33:51 AM   
Mr. Ed

Two North Dakota hockey players are believed to be the first Division I men’s college hockey players to kneel during the national anthem.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 2185
RE: Other college hockey (BSU, UND, SCSU, etc) - 12/2/2020 10:47:51 AM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

Two North Dakota hockey players are believed to be the first Division I men’s college hockey players to kneel during the national anthem.

Oh my goddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd

Seriously, that's some crazy stuff
if you haven't been around Sioux faithful, its not that big of deal
if you have, you know this is HUGE

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 2186
RE: Other college hockey (BSU, UND, SCSU, etc) - 12/2/2020 10:48:19 AM   
SoMnFan

Those two better be provided round-the-clock security

NOT kidding.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 2187
RE: Other college hockey (BSU, UND, SCSU, etc) - 12/2/2020 10:51:17 AM   
SoMnFan

Some crazy results down in the bubble last night
late-game lead changes
That could turn into a real bloodbath once they all get too familiar with themselves this month

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 2188
RE: Other college hockey (BSU, UND, SCSU, etc) - 12/2/2020 10:52:02 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

Those two better be provided round-the-clock security

NOT kidding.

Two UND players — Jasper Weatherby and Jacob Bernard-Docker — are planning to kneel during the playing of the national anthem as a means of protesting racial injustice.

Per a lengthy story in the Grand Forks Herald, they are believed to be the first Division I men’s college hockey players to kneel during the anthem.

That the demonstration will come in a fan-less arena because of the coronavirus pandemic doesn’t change the impact. The game is being televised locally in Grand Forks and being streamed.

“I think change is uncomfortable for a lot of people,” Weatherby told the Herald. “If this (demonstration) is uncomfortable for you, it’s a great opportunity to educate yourself and look inside and ask yourself, ‘Why does that upset me?’ and ‘Why is someone from my hometown doing this?’ We hope the hockey community knows that we stand with people of color and we are not OK with the way people are being treated in this country.”

Both UND players who are planning to kneel Wednesday are white — the types of allies needed to advance social justice reform. Weatherby in particular has a fascinating back story that has made him an outspoken advocate for reform.

“At the end of the day, we want UND to be a safe place,” Weatherby said. “As athletes who do have a platform, we stand with our brothers and sisters of color.”

“For me and Jasper, it was an opportunity to educate our team,” Bernard-Docker said of the movie night. “We’re trying to learn more every day as well. We’re not perfect. We still have a ton to learn. With our team being mostly white males, we’ve never had to deal with racial injustices. Just to open some of our guys’ eyes and show them the history of the past hundreds of years in America, and around the world, how minorities have been treated is important. It makes you realize how well we have it.”

Escape while you can!
Post #: 2189
RE: Other college hockey (BSU, UND, SCSU, etc) - 12/2/2020 10:56:56 AM   
SoMnFan

Sound like AWESOME kids
I hope and pray for their safety

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 2190
RE: Other college hockey (BSU, UND, SCSU, etc) - 12/2/2020 11:03:17 AM   
SoMnFan

Son who has been around the team and community says Weatherby has been actively involved in peaceful movements his entire time there, with his parents help and blessings.
Good on him.

this is awesome

“For me and Jasper, it was an opportunity to educate our team,” Bernard-Docker said of the movie night. “We’re trying to learn more every day as well. We’re not perfect. We still have a ton to learn. With our team being mostly white males, we’ve never had to deal with racial injustices. Just to open some of our guys’ eyes and show them the history of the past hundreds of years in America, and around the world, how minorities have been treated is important. It makes you realize how well we have it.”

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 2191
RE: Other college hockey (BSU, UND, SCSU, etc) - 12/2/2020 12:34:37 PM   
twinsfan

“I think change is uncomfortable for a lot of people,” Weatherby told the Herald. “If this (demonstration) is uncomfortable for you, it’s a great opportunity to educate yourself and look inside and ask yourself, ‘Why does that upset me?’ and ‘Why is someone from my hometown doing this?’ We hope the hockey community knows that we stand with people of color and we are not OK with the way people are being treated in this country.”

Weatherby is from Oregon and Bernard-Docker is from Alberta.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 2192
RE: Other college hockey (BSU, UND, SCSU, etc) - 12/2/2020 12:35:02 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

late-game lead changes
That could turn into a real bloodbath once they all get too familiar with themselves this month

What bubble?

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 2193
RE: Other college hockey (BSU, UND, SCSU, etc) - 12/2/2020 12:46:17 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

Weatherby is from Oregon and Bernard-Docker is from Alberta.

And right now they reside in Grand Forks.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 2194
RE: Other college hockey (BSU, UND, SCSU, etc) - 12/2/2020 12:48:23 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

quote:

late-game lead changes

What bubble?

The NCHC bubble

You prefer POD?

Whatever. be difficult. jeeeeez.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 2195
RE: Other college hockey (BSU, UND, SCSU, etc) - 12/2/2020 12:49:25 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

quote:

late-game lead changes

What bubble?

The NCHC bubble

You prefer POD?

Whatever. be difficult. jeeeeez.

Didn't know they were doing one.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 2196
RE: Other college hockey (BSU, UND, SCSU, etc) - 12/2/2020 12:50:25 PM   
SoMnFan

Dang
was hoping we were gonna scrap.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 2197
RE: Other college hockey (BSU, UND, SCSU, etc) - 12/2/2020 12:55:18 PM   
twinsfan

The first portion of the NCHC’s will take place December 1st through December 20th entirely at Nebraska Omaha’s Baxter Arena, with all eight of the league’s teams playing 10 games in the pod to promote less travel during the season. Tuesday through Friday will likely see two games played per day, while Saturday and Sunday will likely have three games per day, with Mondays being left as an off-day. With ten games played over twenty days, teams will average about a game every other day.

There will be no fan attendance at the Omaha Pod, though all games will be broadcast on NCHC.tv

In addition to the pod schedule, the NCHC announced that teams will have the ability to schedule non-conference games this season, though none will take place until after January 1st. They also announced that at this point, the NCHC postseason tournament is scheduled to go on without any changes.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 2198
RE: Other college hockey (BSU, UND, SCSU, etc) - 12/2/2020 12:55:57 PM   
SoMnFan

We knew ......

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 2199
RE: Other college hockey (BSU, UND, SCSU, etc) - 12/2/2020 12:57:41 PM   
SoMnFan

It was big news at The Ralph

Near-revolt that it wasn't held in the only hockey city that matters
Good thing they didn't.
Might need the space for beds soon. With the 1-in-9 affected rates lately.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 2200
Page:   <<   < prev  86 87 [88] 89 90   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Other college hockey (BSU, UND, SCSU, etc) Page: <<   < prev  86 87 [88] 89 90   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode