Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Players and prospects III

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Players and prospects III Page: <<   < prev  181 182 [183] 184 185   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Players and prospects III - 4/14/2016 10:38:21 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: MDK

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: MDK

I really thought that Maestro would be on the opening day roster and Buxton would be down in Triple A to start the season. I was glad that at least he had Buxton in the ninth spot rather than batting leadoff.

Bring Maestro up....damn the 40 man roster.

Both Kepler and Buxton need some more seasoning. The Santana injury has hurt.

Watching Arcia last night was painful. He hasn't done anything to demonstrate that he will ever again hit MLB pitching and that is a shame.

He was maybe our best power hitter 2 years ago...wth happened to him.

He didn't listen to instruction. Tried to hit every pitch out of the park. His swing is too long and has too much of a loop. He is powerful enough that by shortening his swing, he still has the power to hit it out. When he was successful, he was using a more compact swing. Now, he has gone back to his old habits. Stupid cause the kid has talent and power.

By the way, I hate and always have the Charley Lau school of hitting where on the follow through, you release one hand and hold the bat with the other. That is why Arcia kept hitting Avila in the head.

I just read this:

Contrary to popular belief, Lau did not emphasize releasing the top hand after making contact with the pitch and following through with only the lower hand on the bat. He did, however, suggest this measure to hitters who—for whatever reason—could not fully extend their arms during their swings.

It seems to me, almost all of his disciples released their top hand. I hate that approach. And having a long swing is not in Arcia's interests.....he needs a more compact swing.

They really need to rewrite the rules on catcher interference. What Arcia did is unacceptable, especially in view of concussions.

I call that the Jose Cruz swing. Looked really cool when I was a kid.
Post #: 4551
RE: Players and prospects III - 4/14/2016 10:53:24 AM   
Mr. Ed

ROSTER MOVES: T.J. White promoted to Chattanooga (AA). Chris Paul transferred to Fort Myers from Cedar Rapids.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 4552
RE: Players and prospects III - 4/14/2016 3:31:05 PM   
Mr. Ed

Roch lost 2-1 today.
Mastro 1-4/R/3K's

Britton 2-4/double/RBI

Dean 0-2 8IP 5H/2R/2ER/BB

That's right, complete game with no strikeouts.

Beaten by Scott Diamond 7I 6H/5K

Escape while you can!
Post #: 4553
RE: Players and prospects III - 4/14/2016 8:28:00 PM   
Mr. Ed

CRapids and FTM winning, Chatt losing

AnotherMN lefty struggling. Strong didn't get an out, gave up 3 runs

2 outings, ERA is

Escape while you can!
Post #: 4554
RE: Players and prospects III - 4/14/2016 9:29:31 PM   
Mr. Ed

FTM overcame 5 errors, banging out 13 hits in 7-2 win

English 2-4/Bb/Solo HR(1)/2R, Wade 2-5/RBI/E(1), Christensen 2-4/RBI, Diemer 2-4/R/SB(1), Swim 1-2/3BB/2R/RBI

Stewart 6IP H/BB/6K
Fernandez 2IP 2H/UER/3BB/2K
Gilbert IP H/R/BB/K

Not to be out done, CRapids overcame 4 errors with 11 hits, winning 7-3

Arraez 3-4/Solo HR(1)/2R/2RBI, Valera 2-4/triple(3)/2R/2RBi/E(1), Wade 2-4/double(4)/R/RBI, Miller 2-3/2R/E(1), Cavaness 1-2/double/BB

Cutura 2-0 6IP 2H/2R/1ER/2BB/6K
Irby 2IP 2H/UER/BB/2K/E(1)
Anderson IP K

Escape while you can!
Post #: 4555
RE: Players and prospects III - 4/15/2016 8:56:17 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

FTM overcame 5 errors, banging out 13 hits in 7-2 win

English 2-4/Bb/Solo HR(1)/2R, Wade 2-5/RBI/E(1), Christensen 2-4/RBI, Diemer 2-4/R/SB(1), Swim 1-2/3BB/2R/RBI

Stewart 6IP H/BB/6K
Fernandez 2IP 2H/UER/3BB/2K
Gilbert IP H/R/BB/K

Not to be out done, CRapids overcame 4 errors with 11 hits, winning 7-3

Arraez 3-4/Solo HR(1)/2R/2RBI, Valera 2-4/triple(3)/2R/2RBi/E(1), Wade 2-4/double(4)/R/RBI, Miller 2-3/2R/E(1), Cavaness 1-2/double/BB

Cutura 2-0 6IP 2H/2R/1ER/2BB/6K
Irby 2IP 2H/UER/BB/2K/E(1)
Anderson IP K

I told you guys it was too early to give up on Stewart.
Post #: 4556
RE: Players and prospects III - 4/15/2016 11:42:05 AM   
Mr. Ed

Chatt used a 5 run 6th, 4 run 7th and won 11-8

Took advantage of 8 walks

Garver 2-3/2BB/2R/RBI,Hicks 1-4/BB/2RHR(2)/2R, Michael 1-2/Bb/2R/RbI, White 0-3/BB/2R/SB(1)/E(1)

Hurlbut 4IP 6H/5R/2ER/2BB/3K/HR
Strong 0IP H/3R/2BB
Williams 2IP H/2BB/3-3 IRS
Reed 1-1 2IP H/2BB/2K
Chargois IP K/Save(1)

Escape while you can!
Post #: 4557
RE: Players and prospects III - 4/15/2016 9:21:01 PM   
Mr. Ed

Roch 2-1 winner Friday night

Murphy 2-4/R, Tovar 2-3/RBI, Polanco 1-4/Solo HR(1)

Meyer 1-0 6.1IP 3H/8K

O'Rourke .1IP
Van Mil .1IP H/R
Graham 2IP 1-1 IRS H/BB/K/Save(2)

FTM won in 10 6-5

Gordon 3-5/double/2R HR(1)/2R/3RBi, Vavra 2-5/double/R/SB(1), English 2-5/double/R/RBI,Wade 1-4/triple/BB/R/RBI

Jay 5IP 3H/2R/BB/4K/2HR
Bard IP 2H/2R/BB/K
Van Steensel IP H/K
Landa 1-0 (BS) 2IP 2H/R/2BB/3K
Hildenberger IP H/2K/Save(3)

Escape while you can!
Post #: 4558
RE: Players and prospects III - 4/15/2016 9:25:30 PM   
Mr. Ed

Chatt lost 6-3

Harrison 2-4/solo HR(2)/2R, White 2-4/double/R/RBI, Garver 1-4/double

Slegers 0-1 4IP 6H/2R/3BB/K
Wimmers 2IP 3H/2R/2K
Melotakis IP 4H/R/K
Peterson2IP H/R/BB/K

Escape while you can!
Post #: 4559
RE: Players and prospects III - 4/15/2016 9:35:43 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

Meyer 1-0 6.1IP 3H/8K

I'm glad they put him back in the rotation. It's where he has had the most success and he needs to throw a lot of pitches if he is develop any consistency.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 4560
RE: Players and prospects III - 4/15/2016 9:52:39 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

Meyer 1-0 6.1IP 3H/8K

I'm glad they put him back in the rotation. It's where he has had the most success and he needs to throw a lot of pitches if he is develop any consistency.

So what do you do if he puts a run of good outings in a row? Be a shame to waste all those at AAA.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 4561
RE: Players and prospects III - 4/15/2016 10:05:45 PM   
Mr. Ed

Crapids lost 11-5. Gave up 19 hits

Arraez 2-4/Bb/Solo HR(1)/2R, Wade 1-4/double(5)/BB/R/RBI, Wiel 1-3/2BB/R, Murphy 1-3/double/BB

Gibbons 1-1 4.2IP 11H/7R/4ER/BB/5K
Theofanopoulos 1.2IP 0-2 IRS 5H/4R/3ER/BB/2K
Lo 2.2IP 0-2 IRS 3H/K

< Message edited by Mr. Ed -- 4/15/2016 10:07:58 PM >

Escape while you can!
Post #: 4562
RE: Players and prospects III - 4/16/2016 9:31:32 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

Meyer 1-0 6.1IP 3H/8K

So what do you do if he puts a run of good outings in a row? Be a shame to waste all those at AAA.

So it would be better to have him be erratic in the pen because at least he wouldn't waste so many innings in AAA? Right now it's about getting Meyer over the hump and what's the best way to do it. I thought it was premature to stick him in the pen in the first place and I think finally did something right by putting him back in the rotation.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 4563
RE: Players and prospects III - 4/17/2016 6:01:07 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Meyer 1-0 6.1IP 3H/8K

So it would be better to have him be erratic in the pen because at least he wouldn't waste so many innings in AAA? Right now it's about getting Meyer over the hump and what's the best way to do it. I thought it was premature to stick him in the pen in the first place and I think finally did something right by putting him back in the rotation.

Didn't say that. Asked what they should do with him?

If he hits a groove, and someone else sucks(nolasco/Milone), far better to get him in the rotation at the bigs now(this season).
Was hitting 99 on the gun in his start.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 4564
RE: Players and prospects III - 4/17/2016 6:03:21 AM   
Mr. Ed

Video of his outing here

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20160415&content_id=172558268&fext=.jsp&vkey=news_milb

It was his first start in nearly a year, and at almost 90 pitches, Alex Meyer's night was close to being over.

"My manager [Mike Quade] asked me if I still felt good to go and I said I did. He said, 'OK, go get 'em,'" Meyer said. "It's good to have a manager who has confidence in you to send you back out there."

Meyer hit 99 mph with his fastball and struck out eight over 6 1/3 scoreless innings in his first start in nearly a year Friday night as Triple-A Rochester held on for a 2-1 win at Buffalo.

"I was efficient, throwing strikes, getting ahead," the Twins' No. 11 prospect said. "I was feeling good, I was feeling like the ball was coming out pretty good. I had some swings and misses early, so it was one of those nights where you're lucky to have your stuff working, throwing strikes and getting ahead."

Making his first start since May 19, Meyer (1-0) held the Bisons to three hits while throwing 60 of 92 pitches for strikes. He retired the first seven batters he faced and exited in the seventh after retiring Jesus Montero. Ryan O'Rourke, Loek van Mil and J.R. Graham combined to finish off the win.

Meyer began last season in the Red Wings rotation but moved to the bullpen after his May 19 start against Durham. After going 2-3 with a 7.09 ERA in eight starts, he was considerably sharper in relief, compiling a 3.08 ERA and 59 strikeouts over 52 2/3 frames. He walked 24 batters out of the bullpen after issuing 24 free passes in 39 1/3 frames as a starter.

The Twins brought him to Minnesota last June for his Major League debut but decided this spring to stretch him back out as a starter.

"It was fun. It was fun to get back out there in the pregame routine and everything and get that stuff put back together," Meyer said. "It was fun to start a game, I felt good. From the beginning, I had three pitches going and carried in into the game."

Despite Friday's success, Meyer said he thinks his future may be back in the bullpen. With fellow prospects like Jose Berrios and Taylor Rogers emerging and a Twins rotation that includes established starters like Ervin Santana, Kyle Gibson and Phil Hughes, Meyer's best route back to the Majors could be in relief.

"I was thought I was better suited for the bullpen," he said. "It's just a case where we have some starters coming up who are really good and guys in the big leagues under contract for a while, so the best thing for me is the bullpen. But they thought differently, and that's fine. I'll do whatever they want me to do. I was successful as a reliever."

The Twins want the 6-foot-9 right-hander to become more consistent with his command, especially his changeup, a pitch Meyer said he threw about nine times against the Bisons.

"We want him to work on his pitches, and that's tough to do in the 'pen," Twins general manager Terry Ryan told the Pioneer Press last month. "I'm not saying that's going to be for the life of his career or even the life of the 2016 season, but that's the way we're going to start. We'll gauge it as we go."

Meyer called his struggles as a stater early last season "a hiccup" and that he's confident things will play out the right way.

"[Last year] wasn't the best, but I'll get back and things will take care of themselves," he said. "I'm trying not to overthink things, just attack hitters, get strike one. I feel confident in myself."

Meyer said he wasn't focused on working in the change much on Friday, but when he did, he had full control.

"It was fine, I probably threw eight of the nine for strikes," he said. "If the situation calls for it, I'll throw it. It's just another pitch, it's not something I put too much thought into."

"Their big righty starter didn't give us a chance," Bisons manager Gary Allenson said. "There was a difference between night and day with him last year and this year. I don't think he walked a guy today, and he struggled with his command last year. ... The weather's been nice for us -- it got a little chilly tonight there, but it had nothing to do with it. Whether it was 30 degrees out, or 85 out there, that kid was sharp."

Meyer also worked with a lead after Twins No. 6 prospect Jorge Polanco hit a two-out homer to left in the first off Buffalo starter Wade LeBlanc. Wilfredo Tovar added an RBI single in the seventh before Buffalo scored in the eighth on Jio Mier's RBI double.

"It's always good to go out there with a lead before you even go out on the mound," Meyer said. "But it's always a good thing for this club -- you attack guys and just go straight at them. Polanco squared a ball up, it was a great start for the night. Good way to start the game."

Meyer's first outing of the season came in relief of Berrios, the Twins' top prospect, on April 10 in what Minor Leaguers refer to as "piggybacking." Berrios started and Meyer came in to finish off the game.

"I've had some good teammates with the Twins. With Berrios and Pat Dean -- my goodness, the year he had last year, it makes it fun to watch," Meyer said. "[Tyler] Duffey, Berrios, [Logan] Darnell, it's good, we have the whole package of guys who can do just about a different look every night, so it's exciting to watch."

Escape while you can!
Post #: 4565
RE: Players and prospects III - 4/17/2016 6:12:12 AM   
Mr. Ed

Roch lost 8-5 on the road Saturday. allowed 6 of the runs in the 6/7/8 innngs

Vargas 2-4/double/RBI, Beresford 2-4/double/R/RBI, Tovar 1-3/double/R/SB(2)/E(2), Britton 1-5/2R HR91)

Berrios 5IP 3H/2R/1ER/3BB/4K(94 pitches)
Runzler BS/0-1 IP 4H/4R/3ER/BB/2K
Kintzler 2IP 0-1 IRS 3H/2R/2K

Chatt lost 9-5

White 2-4/double/R/2RBI, Turner 1-2/2BB/R/2RBI, Hicks 1-3/double/BB/2R

Eades 0-1 3.2IP 11H/8R/BB
Lee 1.1IP 0-1 IR H/R/2BB/K
Walden 2IP BB/2K
Williams IP H/2BB/2K
Reed IP 2K

FTM lost 6-4

Wade 2-4/RBI, Walker 1-3/triple/BB/RBI, English 1-3/double/BB/E(1)

Steele 0-1 5IP 6H/3R/3BB/7K
Gilbert 2IP 2H/3R/BB/HR
Westphal IP 2K

CRapids was a 7-0 winner

Murray3-4/Solo HR(2)/2R, Arraez 3-5/double/3R, Wade 2-2/double/triple/2RBI/SB(2), Cavaness 2-3/bb/R/RBI

Clay 1-0 5IP 6H/BB/6K/E92)
Lombana 2IP 2H/BB/2K
Curtiss 2IP 4K

Escape while you can!
Post #: 4566
RE: Players and prospects III - 4/17/2016 9:30:19 AM   
Mr. Ed

OF David Murphy of @RocRedWings just grounded out against Andrew Bailey after 16 pitches! Fouled off 10 pitches with 2 strikes.
#MNTwins

Escape while you can!
Post #: 4567
RE: Players and prospects III - 4/17/2016 2:10:56 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Meyer 1-0 6.1IP 3H/8K

If he hits a groove, and someone else sucks(nolasco/Milone), far better to get him in the rotation at the bigs now(this season).

My bad. I have no doubt one of the big league starters will fail. Milone is demonstrating that he isn't good more than 2 times through the order and despite a decent start, Nolasco is Nolasco. I still think Meyer has the kind of stuff that if he puts it together they will simply have to make room for him.

Post #: 4568
RE: Players and prospects III - 4/17/2016 2:31:48 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Meyer 1-0 6.1IP 3H/8K

My bad. I have no doubt one of the big league starters will fail. Milone is demonstrating that he isn't good more than 2 times through the order and despite a decent start, Nolasco is Nolasco. I still think Meyer has the kind of stuff that if he puts it together they will simply have to make room for him.

What a difference that would make. Force their hand.

But Ryan is one stubborn goat, too. GO MEYER

Escape while you can!
Post #: 4569
RE: Players and prospects III - 4/17/2016 5:08:45 PM   
Mr. Ed

Roch was 2-hit Sunday, 3-0. Polanco and Beresford 1-3/singles

Darnell 0-2 6.2IP 6H/2R/3KHR
Martinez 1.1IP 2H/R/BB

CRapids lost 7-2

Only 4 hits. Hayman 1-4/RBI, Wiel 1-4/R

Rodriguez 0-2 6.1IP 7H/4R/3ER/2BB/3K/HR
Irby .2IP 2-2 iRS
Nordgren 2IP 5H/3R/BB/K

Escape while you can!
Post #: 4570
RE: Players and prospects III - 4/17/2016 6:22:20 PM   
Mr. Ed

Gordon 3 more hits tonight for FTM,over .415

Jorge dealing; 3H/7K's in 6IP

He'll be on the 40-man after this year; they're lucky they didn't lose him in the minors' Rule5

Escape while you can!
Post #: 4571
RE: Players and prospects III - 4/17/2016 7:00:37 PM   
Mr. Ed

Combined 4-hitter for FTM, 9-0 win

Jorge 1-1 6.2IP 3H/BB/8K
Fernandez 2.1IP H

Gordon 3-5/2R/RBI, Diemaer 2-5/2R/2RBi, Corcino 2-3/2triples(2)/BB/2R/RBi, Navaretto 2-4/2R, Paul 1-4/triple/BB/2RBi, Wade 1-4/2RBI

Escape while you can!
Post #: 4572
RE: Players and prospects III - 4/17/2016 7:39:25 PM   
sixthwi

quote:

Gordon 3 more hits tonight for FTM,over .415

Jorge dealing; 3H/7K's in 6IP

He'll be on the 40-man after this year; they're lucky they didn't lose him in the minors' Rule5

Bring Gordon up now!

The generation who would change the world is still looking for its car keys.
Post #: 4573
RE: Players and prospects III - 4/17/2016 9:36:53 PM   
Mr. Ed

Chatt took advantage of 4 errors, scoring 2 unearned runs in a 4-3 win

Reginatto 2-3/double/BB/2R,Granite 2-5/R/RBI

Wheeler 6IP 4H/2R/BB/5K
Melotakis 1-1 IP H/2K
Wimmers IP H/R/BB
Chargois IP K/Save(2)

Escape while you can!
Post #: 4574
RE: Players and prospects III - 4/18/2016 8:37:04 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Meyer 1-0 6.1IP 3H/8K

What a difference that would make. Force their hand.

But Ryan is one stubborn goat, too. GO MEYER

Not so sure about that one...they have wanted Meyer to succeed for a long time. They brought him up after just a little success the last 2 years and then he couldn't throw a strike at the ML level.....

I loved what Tonkin did yesterday, you add Meyer and we actually have a couple guys that can strike out some batters to what Jepson and May can do also.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 4/18/2016 8:40:09 AM >

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 4575
Page:   <<   < prev  181 182 [183] 184 185   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Players and prospects III Page: <<   < prev  181 182 [183] 184 185   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode