Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Players and prospects III

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Players and prospects III Page: <<   < prev  260 261 [262] 263 264   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Players and prospects III - 7/13/2017 11:48:40 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

quote:

How long until Rooker is moved up. He is making a mockery of that league.

"Originally"

The plan was to have Rooker in Eliz a week or so. Something altered it.

Any idea WHAT altered it? Sure isn't problems with his hitting. I wouldn't be surprised if he could hit major league pitchers right now.

I think it had something to do with flight schedules.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 6526
RE: Players and prospects III - 7/13/2017 11:51:36 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: djskillz

Again, I just disagree. Comparing him to Vielma is unfair, as Vielma is incredibly good defensively. But Gordon is just fine. You know I've always been a big Polanco fan as a player, but watching Polanco come up and Gordon come up is night and day defensively to me.

I think Gordon will stick at SS for us for at least 4-5 years (unless we trade him). By then probably one of the other lower-minors kids with a higher ceiling than him will take over.

You think it's going to take Lewis that long to come up or do you think Lewis will be moved to another position.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 6527
RE: Players and prospects III - 7/13/2017 11:52:21 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

quote:

quote:

How long until Rooker is moved up. He is making a mockery of that league.

"Originally"

The plan was to have Rooker in Eliz a week or so. Something altered it.

Any idea WHAT altered it? Sure isn't problems with his hitting. I wouldn't be surprised if he could hit major league pitchers right now.

I think it had something to do with flight schedules.

Thanks but hasn't it been weeks? Shouldn't take that long to book a flight.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 6528
RE: Players and prospects III - 7/13/2017 11:52:50 AM   
djskillz

quote:

quote:

Again, I just disagree. Comparing him to Vielma is unfair, as Vielma is incredibly good defensively. But Gordon is just fine. You know I've always been a big Polanco fan as a player, but watching Polanco come up and Gordon come up is night and day defensively to me.

I think Gordon will stick at SS for us for at least 4-5 years (unless we trade him). By then probably one of the other lower-minors kids with a higher ceiling than him will take over.

You think it's going to take Lewis that long to come up or do you think Lewis will be moved to another position.

I'll be shocked if Lewis isn't an OF longterm. And a good one. It's the Twins, but I could see Lewis being a fast riser and being up when he's 21 or 22.

But we've got a lot of other kids in the system who can more than capably be stud SS's in time.

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 6529
RE: Players and prospects III - 7/13/2017 12:12:05 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

The Vielma comp is not unfair. Vielma is pretty much what you are looking for defensively at SS, so to measure Gordon's defense against Vielma's at one of the two important defensive positions in the game is completely valid. I've been a Polanco supporter as well, but I always viewed his defense as something you live with if he is hitting up to expectation. Gordon is essentially Polanco with less speed and a better arm. I see his bat getting him up here by September and his glove having him at another position by September 2019.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 6530
RE: Players and prospects III - 7/13/2017 1:32:54 PM   
Steve Lentz

I've been a Polanco guy, but he needs to get out of this fog he's in. He can be our SS as long as he hits like last year, but he's not near the hitter he was last year. Hope he can show that last year was what we can expect.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 6531
RE: Players and prospects III - 7/13/2017 1:44:27 PM   
Mr. Ed

On May 1, 2017, an amendment to a United States Department of Defense policy changed Griffin Jax's life.

The 22-year-old had nearly completed his degree at the U.S. Air Force Academy, after which he would begin his second season in the Minor Leagues with Minnesota. Selected by the Twins in the third round of the 2016 Draft and rated as the club's No. 30 prospect, Jax sought to become the first Air Force graduate to ever reach the Major Leagues.

Now that goal had encountered a roadblock.

Upon completing their time at the Air Force Academy, graduates owe a minimum of two years of active duty. Back in 2016, just before Jax entered the Draft, the Department of Defense passed a rule that would allow military members who received a professional sports contract to serve their time in the reserves and continue to pursue their athletic careers. At the time, Jax could not believe his good fortune.

"They said if you get a professional contract and you get drafted, we'll allow you to go play professional sports," he said. "That was really exciting for me at the time because it was right when it needed to be."

Those plans changed after the 2016 election. Newly appointed Defense Secretary James Mattis reversed the ruling and instituted the two-year service requirement for all new graduates, including those pursuing professional sports careers.

After finishing up at the academy in late May, Jax had 60 days of paid leave before he needed to report to Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida on July 29, where he would spend the next 22 months as an acquisitions officer for a missile and satellite launch squadron. His baseball career would have to go on the back burner.

"It was a really hard pill to swallow," Jax said. "I don't want to say that it was like I was lied to, but it was as if they turned their back on me at the last second. But at the same time, I understood the commitment I gave to the academy as soon as I showed up."

With baseball season already well underway, Jax was on the clock. While his fellow graduates embarked on extended vacations or relaxed at home, the right-hander reported to the Twins' training facility in Fort Myers, Florida, to prepare to pitch in the Minors. He made his season debut with Rookie-level Elizabethton on June 26, after which he immediately earned a promotion to Class A Cedar Rapids. Mere hours after his plane landed on July 2, he tossed seven scoreless innings -- allowing three hits, walking one and striking out four -- in his Midwest League debut against Clinton.

"Everyone has always asked me if I wanted to be in the military and if I wanted to fly planes. But my goal and my dream since I can remember was to play professional baseball, and that's going to stay that way for as long as it can."
Through three starts, Jax sports a 3.12 ERA with one walk and 15 strikeouts over 17 1/3 frames across both levels. He has impressed his coaches along the way with his work ethic and intense workout practices.

"He's one of the first guys out there getting his arm care work in and getting his pregame work in," Cedar Rapids pitching coach J.P. Martinez said. "He asks good questions, and he takes feedback well. … He has a pretty good feel for what he's doing -- I'd say a little bit more than most guys at this level."

While Jax said knowing his season's end date has felt strange at times, the deadline has changed little about his daily routine with the Kernels.

"There's no accelerated time scale for someone who is only going to be here a month or two," Martinez said, "but we do know if there is a question of if we're going to pull him this inning or that inning, we'll try and see a little bit more what he can do. We'll give him more of a chance to work out of some jams because he may not have that opportunity in a month."

The Twins have expressed their support to Jax, even discussing an arrangement whereby he could make the roughly three-hour drive from the base to Fort Myers on weekends to work out and occasionally pitch on Saturdays.

Either way, Jax plans to continue his ascent toward the big leagues as soon as he returns. Though he has known since enrolling in the Air Force Academy that his path toward the Majors would feature more obstacles than many of his peers, that has remained his primary destination.

"Everyone has always asked me if I wanted to be in the military and if I wanted to fly planes," Jax said. "But my goal and my dream since I can remember was to play professional baseball, and that's going to stay that way for as long as it can."

For the present, the son of former NFL linebacker Garth Jax is focused on learning as much as he can before leaving Cedar Rapids to head south.

"I'm just trying to be as big of a sponge as I can be here," Jax said. "When I'm gone for the next 22-ish months, I can keep polishing those things. When I show back up, I'll be even better than I am today.

"I'm going to give my time to the military and serve my time there, and as soon as I'm done I'm going to come back and hopefully make a career out of baseball."

Escape while you can!
Post #: 6532
RE: Players and prospects III - 7/13/2017 2:39:47 PM   
djskillz

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

The Vielma comp is not unfair. Vielma is pretty much what you are looking for defensively at SS, so to measure Gordon's defense against Vielma's at one of the two important defensive positions in the game is completely valid. I've been a Polanco supporter as well, but I always viewed his defense as something you live with if he is hitting up to expectation. Gordon is essentially Polanco with less speed and a better arm. I see his bat getting him up here by September and his glove having him at another position by September 2019.

I think Gordon and Polanco will have comparable bats longterm; maybe Polanco's a bit better. But I think Gordon's speed, defense, and feel are a bit better than Polanco's.

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 6533
RE: Players and prospects III - 7/13/2017 2:41:10 PM   
SoMnFan

I see Polanco making more and more plays and throws, than the experts ever said he would (or could).

Confusing, but you know what I mean.
Post #: 6534
RE: Players and prospects III - 7/13/2017 2:48:20 PM   
TJSweens

The longer the season goes on the more I get it that Polanco has a weak arm for the position. He does cover a lot of ground though. Gordon, BTW, is NOT faster than Polanco. He does have the better arm, but as Falvey said it isn't an explosive at the position. He also said Gordon has work to do on going left.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 6535
RE: Players and prospects III - 7/13/2017 2:56:09 PM   
djskillz

quote:

The longer the season goes on the more I get it that Polanco has a weak arm for the position. He does cover a lot of ground though. Gordon, BTW, is NOT faster than Polanco. He does have the better arm, but as Falvey said it isn't an explosive at the position. He also said Gordon has work to do on going left.

I think the speed is quite comparable. Neither has elite speed, but both solidly above average. Both have been very comparable in SB's in the minors.

But ya, I agree. Polanco has done better than I ever saw him do defensively in the minors at SS, but I still think it's clear his best position is 2b.

I'll throw another match on the fire: again, Mauer has saved the left side of this infield quite a few errors this season. As Torii and Jack Morris have both mentioned numerous times.

Post #: 6536
RE: Players and prospects III - 7/13/2017 2:59:34 PM   
TJSweens

Mauer's 1B defense has gone up least a couple levels this year. This is the first year where he has consistently looked right at home at the position. It must be that work ethic and conditioning.

Post #: 6537
RE: Players and prospects III - 7/13/2017 3:08:50 PM   
djskillz

quote:

Mauer's 1B defense has gone up least a couple levels this year. This is the first year where he has consistently looked right at home at the position. It must be that work ethic and conditioning.

Yep. Finally got that pear shape to work for him...

He really should win the GG this year at 1b. Only guy that might be better than him in MLB is Belt.

Post #: 6538
RE: Players and prospects III - 7/13/2017 3:23:41 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

I think the speed is quite comparable. Neither has elite speed, but both solidly above average. Both have been very comparable in SB's in the minors.
But ya, I agree. Polanco has done better than I ever saw him do defensively in the minors at SS, but I still think it's clear his best position is 2b.
I'll throw another match on the fire: again, Mauer has saved the left side of this infield quite a few errors this season. As Torii and Jack Morris have both mentioned numerous times.

I have a feeling Polanco would bat better at another position....the Sano debate but we need an everyday SS.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 6539
RE: Players and prospects III - 7/13/2017 3:31:34 PM   
twinsfan

Phil, REALLY? The old Cuddyer spring in his step argument? Come on, man.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 6540
RE: Players and prospects III - 7/13/2017 3:42:40 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

I really think Polanco would hit better at 2nd or 3rd base (defensively).

Post #: 6541
RE: Players and prospects III - 7/13/2017 3:47:13 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

Why?

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 6542
RE: Players and prospects III - 7/13/2017 3:50:39 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

Why?

Pretty tough on your bat to play positions you didn't play in the minors, especially SS.....I think Polanco will come around this year yet but I think it has an affect.

Post #: 6543
RE: Players and prospects III - 7/13/2017 3:58:10 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Why?

Pretty tough on your bat to play positions you didn't play in the minors, especially SS.....I think Polanco will come around this year yet but I think it has an affect.

Polanco played SS consistently into AA. Then they reduced his time there, and he played more second.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 6544
RE: Players and prospects III - 7/13/2017 4:10:15 PM   
TJSweens

It would have been a bigger challenge last year when he was playing 2B before he was called up. He played SS up here the rest of the year and prepared for it in the off season. It's like Ed said, he has played SS almost exclusively for most of his life.

Post #: 6545
RE: Players and prospects III - 7/13/2017 11:05:24 PM   
Mr. Ed

Roch came off the break, and lost 6-1

Garver 2-4/double(19)/BB, Field 1-3/double/BB/RBI

Colon 0-1 3.2IP 76 pitches 4H/4R/2BB/5K/HR/E(1)
Baxendale 1.2IP 2K 0-1 iRS
Busenitz 1.2IP 2K
Curtiss IP 2H/2R/BB/2K

Chatt scored twice in the 9th, walked off w/5-4 win. Despite FIVE errors

White 2-4/2doubles/2RBi/3E's(6), Rodriguez 2-4/2doubles/R/RBi, Murphy 1-3/BB/2R/RBi,Perez GW rbi(0-4) on fielders choice

Gonsalves 5IP 3H/3R/1ER/9K
LeBlanc 3IP 3H/UER/BB
Clemens 3-0 IP

FTM with a sweep, has an 8 game win streak

won game 1 with a 3 run sixth, 4-3

Kranson 1-2/double/Bb/R/2RBi, Lopez 2-3/double/R/RBI,English 1-2/2BB/2R/SB(14)

Thorpe 4IP 6H/3R/3BB/3K
Robinson 1-0 IP 3K
Steele IP
Clay IP H/K/Save(6)

5-3 win in game 2 all five in the 4th inning

Miller 3-3/double/R, Davis 1-3/triple/R/2RBI, English 2-4/triple/2RBI/SB(15)

B.Anderson 4-4 5IP 5H/3R/2K
Vasquez 2IP H/5K/Save(2)

CR lost in 10, 3-2

Munoz 1-3/Bb/Solo HR(2), Cabbage 1-4/double. Just 3 hits

Sanders 4.2IP 5H/R/3BB/K
Beardsley 3IP 0-3 IRS 4H/R/K
Lujan BS/3-1 3H/UER/2K 1-2 IRS

Eliz scored 3 in the 9th, but lost 5-4

Javier 1-5/2R HR(1), Contreras 2-4/double/2R, Bechtold 2-2/Bb/RBI

Acosta 2-1 4.1IP 6H/5R/2BB/K
Moran 2.2IP 3H/2K/3-3 iIRS
Finkel IP

Escape while you can!
Post #: 6546
RE: Players and prospects III - 7/14/2017 9:41:13 AM   
Mr. Ed

SS Royce Lewis should be promoted all the way to low-A Cedar Rapids after just 13 pro games, GCL Twins mgr Ramon Borrego has recommended.

Borrego raved about Royce Lewis' maturity, coachability, leadership: "He's dominating this league."
.340/.426/.566

Escape while you can!
Post #: 6547
RE: Players and prospects III - 7/14/2017 9:47:42 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

SS Royce Lewis should be promoted all the way to low-A Cedar Rapids after just 13 pro games, GCL Twins mgr Ramon Borrego has recommended.

Borrego raved about Royce Lewis' maturity, coachability, leadership: "He's dominating this league."
.340/.426/.566

So Dustin will get to see him.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 6548
RE: Players and prospects III - 7/14/2017 9:59:05 AM   
McMurfy

My kids are both middle infielders.

For Practice we put a Joe Mauer Big Head poster on the woodshed.
After they field the ball and funnel it up we yell

"hit the Pear"'and they throw towards the Mauer Poster.
Big target

The Curse of Mauer is gone!
Post #: 6549
RE: Players and prospects III - 7/14/2017 10:00:22 AM   
MDK

So Colon won't be leading the Twins to the WS this season........

MAGA needs to change to MAWA= Make America White Again

Tom Smothers RIP: Easter "is when Jesus comes out of his tomb and if he sees his shadow, he goes back in and we get six more weeks of winter."
Post #: 6550
Page:   <<   < prev  260 261 [262] 263 264   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Players and prospects III Page: <<   < prev  260 261 [262] 263 264   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode