Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Players and prospects III

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Players and prospects III Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Players and prospects III - 5/15/2014 10:19:17 PM   
Stacey King

24-years old. being treated like a baby.

Alex Meyer was removed after throwing 79 pitches in 5 hitless innings at AAA Rochester today. But he's not injured. Just reached pitch limit
Post #: 51
RE: Players and prospects III - 5/16/2014 9:57:12 AM   
Dave E

WTF?

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 52
RE: Players and prospects III - 5/16/2014 11:53:25 AM   
Stacey King

at some point these kids are going to have to pitch.

you can ease them in all you want but, in Meyer's case, he's 24, AND he's a Boras client, he is not going to sign a Matt Moore type deal with us in 2 years if he pitches well and his future looks promising. Boras will not even let him sign a Jered Weaver contract with us at that point....and that is IF Meyer is a light's out stud. In Meyer's case we are probably looking at a window with him anyway, a very affordable window too, of 1 year renewals & arbitration contract decisions as he goes along, that is not a bad thing really.

but let the kid throw. if he is going to break down it is going to happen eventually anyway. the ability to hold up and be durable is a part of pitching.

berrios, thorpe, stewart, meyer and may. 3 are way way off, 2 near. need to fast track the 3, challenge them and let attrition take place.

some will fall by the wayside on the way up because of talent, some because of injury, durability. some will end up your hard throwing middle relievers or the closer on the big league club.

the key is not having just 5 high ceiling hard throwing pitchers in the system it is having TEN!

then the attrition part comes in and 2 or 3 could bubble up to the top. then you got something. right now the odds in our 5 is pretty low, not enough eggs in the basket. need another wave of hard throwers in the system right behind that 5.

scouting and drafting is the key. One of Ryan's and his scouting staff's biggest failures.
Post #: 53
RE: Players and prospects III - 5/16/2014 11:57:55 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stacey King

at some point these kids are going to have to pitch.

you can ease them in all you want but, in Meyer's case, he's 24, AND he's a Boras client, he is not going to sign a Matt Moore type deal with us in 2 years if he pitches well and his future looks promising. Boras will not even let him sign a Jered Weaver contract with us at that point....and that is IF Meyer is a light's out stud. In Meyer's case we are probably looking at a window with him anyway, a very affordable window too, of 1 year renewals & arbitration contract decisions as he goes along, that is not a bad thing really.

but let the kid throw. if he is going to break down it is going to happen eventually anyway. the ability to hold up and be durable is a part of pitching.

berrios, thorpe, stewart, meyer and may. 3 are way way off, 2 near. need to fast track the 3, challenge them and let attrition take place.

some will fall by the wayside on the way up because of talent, some because of injury, durability. some will end up your hard throwing middle relievers or the closer on the big league club.

the key is not having just 5 high ceiling hard throwing pitchers in the system it is having TEN!

then the attrition part comes in and 2 or 3 could bubble up to the top. then you got something. right now the odds in our 5 is pretty low, not enough eggs in the basket. need another wave of hard throwers in the system right behind that 5.

scouting and drafting is the key. One of Ryan's and his scouting staff's biggest failures.

I'm sick of how we handle our pitchers.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 54
RE: Players and prospects III - 5/16/2014 12:39:41 PM   
Stacey King

MOCK DRAFT 2

The 2014 draft class continues to shift quickly, with the big picture already changing significantly since last week’s first version of our mock draft.

East Carolina righthander Jeff Hoffman has had his Tommy John surgery, and Nevada-Las Vegas righthander Erick Fedde has now gone from injury question mark to on the Tommy John schedule. Texas Christian righthander Brandon Finnegan returned to the mound after missing essentially two starts (he was removed in the first inning of one), and plenty of scouts were in to see how he threw Thursday night. Finnegan struggled, giving up six runs (five earned) and failing to make it out of the fourth, so it’s not surprising that his draft stock has taken a hit.

With three potential top 10 candidates trending downward, other college pitchers are moving up, as well as top college and high school hitters. Scouting directors and crosscheckers say there’s a consensus on five college bats for the first round, though the order is not certain: North Carolina State shortstop Trea Turner, who righted his falling draft stock with a big series against Coastal Carolina last weekend; outfielders Bradley Zimmer (San Francisco) and Michael Conforto (Oregon State); and catchers Max Pentecost (Kennesaw State) and Kyle Schwarber (Indiana). The only other college bats who could sneak into the first round appear to be slugging first basemen Casey Gillaspie (Wichita State) and A.J. Reed (Kentucky).

High school hitters also could be moving up, with infielders Forrest Wall and Michael Chavis and outfielders Derek Hill and Monte Harrison benefiting from the uncertainty with college pitching. The top prep bats—San Diego catcher Alex Jackson and Orlando shortstop Nick Gordon—look unlikely to fall out of the top five.

1. ASTROS
Jackson’s power barrage has thrust him into the conversation for the top three selections. It’s unlikely the Astros take him at No. 1, however, and then move him from behind the plate to right field or third base. They’re expected to choose between two of the many lefthanders with upside in this draft, North Carolina State’s Carlos Rodon and San Diego prep Brady Aiken. Rodon has more upside thanks to his top-shelf slider, but as one crosschecker put it, “Aiken does it easier and throws a lot more strikes. He may not have the same present stuff, but he’s more consistent, and his stuff is plenty good. He just does so many things well.”

Industry opinion appears to favor Aiken as the top prospect in the draft, and he’s the rare high school player with a long-enough track record to earn the No. 1 selection. But Rodon’s trend lines continue to point in the right direction, and the Astros’ big league struggles likely bring pressure to speed up the rebuilding process in Houston. Rodon’s talent is worthy of the No. 1 pick, and so is the buzz factor he would bring.

Projected Pick: LHP Carlos Rodon

2. MARLINS: Ownership would jump on Rodon if the Marlins get the chance, even if he’s not the first choice of their scouting department. Prep arms Aiken and righthander Tyler Kolek, as well as Jackson, are said to top their board. Several scouting directors have said they believe Jackson’s likely position switch would drive him down the board, but he also has the draft’s best bat. He has the most usable power in the class as well as one of its best hit tools, and he has enough experience in the outfield to move quickly.

Projected Pick: C/OF Alex Jackson

3. WHITE SOX: Chicago would like a shot at Jackson, and may still get it, but this scenario would leave the polished Aiken falling in their lap.

Projected Pick: LHP Brady Aiken

4. CUBS: Here’s where it gets interesting. The Cubs want a college pitcher, but Rodon is unlikely to fall this far, leaving Kolek and his 100 mph fastball staring them in the face. Kolek is such an outlier, however, that teams aren’t sure what to make of him. It’s not only his velocity and height (6-foot-5), but at 250 pounds he’d be the biggest high school pitcher ever drafted in the first round by weight, bigger than Indians 1998 first-rounder C.C. Sabathia (who was listed at 6-foot-6, 240 pounds when drafted) and even Orioles 2009 first-rounder Matt Hobgood (listed at 6-5, 245).Kolek’s extreme velocity, at a time when every other hard-throwing prep pitcher, it seems, is having Tommy John surgery, further complicates matters.Kolek’s unique combination appears to be dropping him down boards. The same is true of Finnegan, who was projected in this slot last time. The Cubs still prefer a college pitcher, and Evansville’s Kyle Freeland has been burning up boards with his stellar season. The tall lefty is in play this high and won’t get out of the first 10 picks if he doesn’t falter down the stretch.

Projected Pick: LHP Kyle Freeland

5. TWINS: The Twins have done their due diligence on the top prep arms, and their emphasis on finding velocity in recent drafts could lead them to Kolek. But they’ve also done a lot of work on Gordon, whose middle-of-the-diamond athleticism is too much to turn down.

Projected Pick: SS Nick Gordon

6. MARINERS: As we wrote last week, Conforto is an intriguing local option here for the Mariners. The organization’s pressing need for pitching, however, which is heightened by the loss of 2011 first-rounder Danny Hultzen to shoulder surgery, means a fast-moving college pitching target makes more sense. No college arm other than Rodon will move more quickly than Louisiana State’s Aaron Nola.

Projected Pick: RHP Aaron Nola

7. PHILLIES: Early reports had the Phillies honing in on Fresno prep shortstop Jacob Gatewood, but reports of Gatewood’s poor spring persist. He could fall out of the first round completely at this point due to a significant lack of contact. Philadelphia would love for Jackson or Gordon to fall this far but will have to settle in this scenario for Kolek, the hardest-throwing amateur in draft history.

Projected Pick: RHP Tyler Kolek
Post #: 55
RE: Players and prospects III - 5/16/2014 3:59:46 PM   
David Levine

quote:

5. TWINS: The Twins have done their due diligence on the top prep arms, and their emphasis on finding velocity in recent drafts could lead them to Kolek. But they’ve also done a lot of work on Gordon, whose middle-of-the-diamond athleticism is too much to turn down.

Projected Pick: SS Nick Gordon

7. PHILLIES: Early reports had the Phillies honing in on Fresno prep shortstop Jacob Gatewood, but reports of Gatewood’s poor spring persist. He could fall out of the first round completely at this point due to a significant lack of contact. Philadelphia would love for Jackson or Gordon to fall this far but will have to settle in this scenario for Kolek, the hardest-throwing amateur in draft history.

Projected Pick: RHP Tyler Kolek

I don't see how you can pass on Kolek.
Post #: 56
RE: Players and prospects III - 5/16/2014 9:12:44 PM   
djskillz

I don't see any way that Kolek makes it to 5, but we will see.

100 % agree, Stacey.

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 57
RE: Players and prospects III - 5/16/2014 9:31:22 PM   
Mr. Ed

Friday:

Roch won 6-2

Arcia 2-4/2R HR(2), Wilkin 1-3/2RBI, Romero 2-4/double/2R/RBI,Herrmann 2-4/2R

Willingham 0-4/K, Florimon 0-3/2K

Pelfrey 5IP 5H/R/BB/3K
Ibarra 3-0 2IP H/BB/3K
Achter 2IP H/R/3K/HR/Save(3)

FtM lost 2-1

Polanco 2-4 double/RBI,Harrison 2-4, Mejia 1-4 R

Wimmers 6ip 2H/R/2BB/8K
Gruver 1-3 2IP 3H/R/BB/3K
Gilbert IP BB/K

CRapids lost 8-2 only 5 hits

Garver 2-4/R, Quesada 1-3/Solo HR(1), Haar 1-3/triple/BB, Williams 1-3/double/RBI

Slegers 4-1 6IP 9H/6R/5ER/K
Muren 2IP 3H/2R/BB/3K

NB 2 dingers in 4-3 win

Rodriguez 1-4/2R HR(7), Ortiz 1-3/BB/Solo HR(2), Wimberly 2-5

Dean 6IP 11H/3R/3K
Turpen 2-1 1.1IP 3BB/K
Oliveros 1.2IP 0-1 IRS 3BB/Save(6)/WP

Escape while you can!
Post #: 58
RE: Players and prospects III - 5/16/2014 11:02:36 PM   
Stacey King

Florimon going into the crapper.
Five errors in his first 6 games with Red Wings
Post #: 59
RE: Players and prospects III - 5/16/2014 11:03:18 PM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

Florimon going into the crapper.
Five errors in his first 6 games with Red Wings

He can pick it.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 60
RE: Players and prospects III - 5/16/2014 11:04:25 PM   
Stacey King

Rob Antony said the Twins are looking to limit Alex Meyer's pitch counts. Could end year in bullpen but they don't want to shut him down.
Post #: 61
RE: Players and prospects III - 5/17/2014 8:05:28 AM   
ewen21

The Twins are ridiculous with their young talent. THey should have traded Arcia and Hicks long ago if they feel there are problems with their motivation and preparation. Heaven forbid the Twins look inside themselves and realize they are part to blame.
Post #: 62
RE: Players and prospects III - 5/17/2014 8:57:44 AM   
twinsfan

Gotta give them credit for trading Revere though. I thought that was a pipedream.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 63
RE: Players and prospects III - 5/17/2014 8:58:26 AM   
ewen21

I say this because for an organization that has long prided itself on bringing in "high character guys" there seems to be a whole lot of this kind of stuff happening. I supposed they are "trying to send a message" here and they do this stuff a lot. Too bad because they are pretty ineffective at getting their message across
Post #: 64
RE: Players and prospects III - 5/17/2014 9:06:20 AM   
ewen21

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

Gotta give them credit for trading Revere though. I thought that was a pipedream.

I was thrilled when they traded him. I was amazed with what the were able to land at the time. Hopefully May can turn into something because Worely is/was a complete bust.

I never understood the infatuation with Revere. His acrobatics and his goofiness seemed to captivate the hearts of the sheople. It didn't hurt that he was diminutive and non threatening. That is always a plus.

I was saying the Twins needed to sign a veteran OF to a one year deal this winter. One way or another they needed to add depth and make things more competitive. Now we hear about Hicks not being prepared and just going through the motions. This is exactly why you bring in a vet. Just about any 6 or 7 million dollar, 1 year outfield FA forces Hicks down to AAA where he belongs. Hicks is acting like it's his job for a couple of years until Buxton arrives and then ....whatever....maybe I land somewhere else. I blame the Twins as much as Hicks for his current situation.

Losing Maestro AND Presley was pretty damn stupid as well.
Post #: 65
RE: Players and prospects III - 5/17/2014 10:27:48 AM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: ewen21

quote:

I was thrilled when they traded him. I was amazed with what the were able to land at the time. Hopefully May can turn into something because Worely is/was a complete bust.

I never understood the infatuation with Revere. His acrobatics and his goofiness seemed to captivate the hearts of the sheople. It didn't hurt that he was diminutive and non threatening. That is always a plus.

I was saying the Twins needed to sign a veteran OF to a one year deal this winter. One way or another they needed to add depth and make things more competitive. Now we hear about Hicks not being prepared and just going through the motions. This is exactly why you bring in a vet. Just about any 6 or 7 million dollar, 1 year outfield FA forces Hicks down to AAA where he belongs. Hicks is acting like it's his job for a couple of years until Buxton arrives and then ....whatever....maybe I land somewhere else. I blame the Twins as much as Hicks for his current situation.

Losing Maestro AND Presley was pretty damn stupid as well.

Good post.
Couldn't believe we did something I'd do.... Get rid of that flea.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 66
RE: Players and prospects III - 5/17/2014 1:35:19 PM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

While still better than Maestro, Revere isn't anywhere near the talent I'm hoping Hicks and Arcia are. I was thrilled with both the Revere and Span trades.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 67
RE: Players and prospects III - 5/17/2014 4:25:59 PM   
McMurfy

I'm an admitted Revere guy, but I wanted him to play second base.

With the right coaching and team, I think he could have hit.320, stole 50 bases, and scored 110 runs.

The Curse of Mauer is gone!
Post #: 68
RE: Players and prospects III - 5/17/2014 7:58:51 PM   
wethrock

Revere will probably always be a limited player, because he is the defintion of a "singles hitter", even though he has excellent speed.
You saw some of Arcia's power in 2013, remember he had only 1/2 year of AA and about 1 month of AAA.
--Hicks: I don't know about, but they did him a big dis-service going from .280 in AA right to majors - need to come back in 2 or 3 years and see what kind of player he becomes offensively.
--And, they also did Arcia a disservice by rushing him that fast; so let's also evaluate him in maybe 2016.
Post #: 69
RE: Players and prospects III - 5/17/2014 9:30:45 PM   
Mr. Ed

Roch won 9-2 Saturday night

Romero 2-5/triple/2R HR(3)/2R/3RBI/E(12), Farris 2-5/solo HR(2)/R/2RBI, Fryer 2-4/R/2RBI/SB(4), Rohlfing 2-4/R, Arcia 0-2/2BB/2R

Darnell 1-1 5.2IP 6H/2R/1Er/2BB/8K
Hoffman 3.1IP 0-2IRS 3H/Bb/3K/Save(2)

FtM was out-slugged 11-9

Walker 3-5/double/R/3RBI, Kepler 3-5/Triple(4)/R, Hicks 2-4/BB/3R HR(2)/2R, Polanco 1-3/2BB/2R,

Wheeler 2-4 2.2IP 8H/6R/4ER/2BB/K/E(1)
Shibuya 1.1Ip 0-1 IRS 2H/R/2K
Melotakis 2IP 4H/R/2BB/3K
Peterson 2IP H/R/BB/3K
Boer IP 3H/2R/2K

NB was 4-hit in the first of 2, 5-0

Boyer 1-3/2SB(5), Ortiz/Rodriguez 1-3, Wimberly 1-3/double

Vasquez 2-1 4.2IP 8H/5R/2BB/9K/2HR
Fuller 1.1IP 0-1 IRS

Escape while you can!
Post #: 70
RE: Players and prospects III - 5/17/2014 9:33:32 PM   
Mr. Ed

CRapids lost 7-2

Altobelli 2-4/double, Christensen 2-4, Walker 1-3/BB/R

Eades 3-5 5IP 10H/7R/2BB/7K/HR
Bixler 2IP 2BB/2K
Boyd IP H/K

Escape while you can!
Post #: 71
RE: Players and prospects III - 5/17/2014 10:15:48 PM   
Mr. Ed

NB lost the second of 2 as well, 9-3

Kvasnicka 2-2/BB/RBI, Vargas 2-3/R/RBI, Koch 1-3/double/RBI, Rodriguez 1-2/double/BB/R

Summers 1-3 5IP 8H/9R/3BB/3K/3HR
O'Rourke IP BB

Escape while you can!
Post #: 72
RE: Players and prospects III - 5/18/2014 2:41:10 PM   
Mr. Ed

Roch 2-1 winner Sunday

Arcia 2-4/double/Solo HR(3)/2RBI, Beresford 2-4/R/E(7)

Johnson 3-2 6IP 4H/UER/2BB/7k
Pressly 3IP 3H/4K/Save(1)

Escape while you can!
Post #: 73
RE: Players and prospects III - 5/18/2014 3:13:58 PM   
Stacey King

Hammer up before Arcia probably?

I think the Arcia deal is a head thing. Twins evidently think he is one of those players that has to feel 100% healthy to play. They want to purge that from him and make him a gamer.
Keeping him down there when he has nothing to prove abusing AAA pitching makes no sense.

They want him to learn a lesson about playing through aches and strains.
Post #: 74
RE: Players and prospects III - 5/18/2014 3:45:55 PM   
Mr. Ed

Vargas HR powered NB to a 5-3 win

Vargas was 2-4/double(10)/3R HR(8),now has 28 RBI,Thomas 2-4/double/2R, Kvasnicka 2-4/double/R, Hanson 1-3/R/RBI

Rogers 4-3 7IP 8H/3R/BB/4K
Johnson 2IP H/2BB/3K/Save (3)

Escape while you can!
Post #: 75
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Players and prospects III Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode