Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Players and prospects III

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Players and prospects III Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Players and prospects III - 5/18/2014 3:59:29 PM   
djskillz

I think it's time to start getting excited about Bigger Papi. Kid is 23, turning 24 in August, yes, but he is in AA now and is really mashing. 8 HR and 10 doubles, an OPS north of .900, and so far (before today) 19 BB to 27 K's. He is probably our longterm answer at DH.

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 76
RE: Players and prospects III - 5/18/2014 8:02:47 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: djskillz

I think it's time to start getting excited about Bigger Papi. Kid is 23, turning 24 in August, yes, but he is in AA now and is really mashing. 8 HR and 10 doubles, an OPS north of .900, and so far (before today) 19 BB to 27 K's. He is probably our longterm answer at DH.

Indeed. Had a slow start, is mashing it consistently now.

SHOULD be a late season callup.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 77
RE: Players and prospects III - 5/18/2014 8:09:22 PM   
Mr. Ed

6 run 7th cemented FtM's 10-1 win. 10 hits

Walker 2-4/Grand Slam (HR#7)/5RBI(31 on the year). Deadly .225 hitter
Goodrum 2-4/BB/2R/2RBI, Polanco 3-5/double/2R/E(14), Harrison 1-3/2BB/2R/RBI, Hicks 0-3/2BB/2R

Lee 4-1 5IP 4H/UER/6K
TJones 2.1IP H/2BB/4K
Gruver 1.2IP 0-2 IRS 2K

CRapids won 7-6

Williams 3-5/2double/R/2RBI, Vavra 3-5/double/R, Altobelli 2-5/R, Christensen 1-3/2BB/2R/RBI, Garver 1-5/double(11)/2RBI(25)

Mildren 5IP 9H/5R/BB/5K
Penilla 1-1 3IP H/4K
VanSteensel IP H/R/2K/HR/Save(1)

Escape while you can!
Post #: 78
RE: Players and prospects III - 5/19/2014 7:28:09 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed
Walker 2-4/Grand Slam (HR#7)/5RBI(31 on the year). Deadly .225 hitter

Rally killing bastard.

Trade him!

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 79
RE: Players and prospects III - 5/19/2014 12:01:30 PM   
Mr. Ed

Berrios not getting much help today. 10K's in 8IP

2 UER, Harrison with 2 errors at 3rd, FtM down 4-2

Escape while you can!
Post #: 80
RE: Players and prospects III - 5/19/2014 12:30:09 PM   
Mr. Ed

FtM lost 4-2 today

Berrios went 7(boxscore correction) 5H/2R/3BB/10K
Gilbert 0-1 2IP 2H/2UER/BB

Harrison 1-3/BB/RBI/2E's(5), Murphy 1-2/double/BB/rbi. Just 5 hits.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 81
RE: Players and prospects III - 5/19/2014 12:58:25 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

FtM lost 4-2 today

Berrios 10K

Where does he get off striking all those guys out? WTF? Pitch to contact idiot, let your defense get the outs behind you. Enough of the fascist strikeouts.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 82
RE: Players and prospects III - 5/19/2014 2:56:06 PM   
Mr. Ed

Eddie Rosario's suspension expires end of the week. Per #MNTwins VP Mike Radcliff: he'll start in Fort Myers or lower to knock rust off.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 83
RE: Players and prospects III - 5/19/2014 5:23:08 PM   
SoMnFan

Here's Espns Insider mock Draft
(Hey, it's a day off).

We're three weeks away from the start of the Rule 4 draft, and it can't come soon enough for all of the pitchers hoping to be selected -- they've been going down with injuries just as often as pro pitchers have this spring, with UNLV's Erick Fedde and East Carolina's Jeff Hoffman both needing Tommy John surgery. There's a little crystallization near the top of the draft, and it's still a fairly pitching-heavy draft overall, but after the first four or five picks there's very little clarity.

Two names you won't see listed with any teams here: Brandon Finnegan and Scott Blewett, both of whom are dealing with shoulder soreness and will have to get cleared by team doctors before they get strong consideration in the first round. Neither is expected to need surgery, and Finnegan pitched Friday, although TCU has some history of sending pitchers back out to the mound before they're fully recovered.

Please note that this only covers the first round, which is just 27 picks, because the New York Yankees, Texas Rangers, Atlanta Braves and Baltimore Orioles forfeited their first-round selections by signing free agents from others teams who had received qualifying offers. (The Toronto Blue Jays have two first-round picks.)

For a look at my top 100 draft prospects, click here.

1Brady AikenSCHOOL: Cathedral Catholic HS, San Diego, Calif.HT: 6-4WT: 200POS: LHP
Analysis: I keep hearing the Astros are down to three names: Aiken, Carlos Rodon, and Alex Jackson, with local product Tyler Kolek likely on the outside of that final set. The decision may come down to money -- they'd like to repeat their successful 2012 strategy, where they save $2 million or so on the top pick and reallocate the money to later picks (they have No. 37 and No. 42 this year) to acquire more first-round talents who slid into the sandwich/second because of their bonus demands.

PLAYER CARD
2Alex JacksonSCHOOL: Rancho Bernardo HS, San Diego, Calif.HT: 6-2WT: 210POS: C
Analysis: The Marlins are on the same three names as Houston, plus Tyler Kolek, but the word around town is that Miami is focusing heavily on bats throughout the draft. The Fish have the most money in their draft pool of any team this year, with extra picks at 36 and 39 as well as their regular pick at 43, and could do just what Houston wants to do, cleaning up with as many as four first-round talents if they play their money right.

I've also heard them with Bradley Zimmer, but I think he's a tweener for them -- probably not as good as their best options at No. 2, and clearly long gone before they pick again.

PLAYER CARD
3Tyler KolekSCHOOL: Shepherd (Texas) HSHT: 6-5WT: 250POS: RHP
Analysis: The White Sox want one of the big three arms, so even though early favorite Jeff Hoffman is on the shelf after Tommy John surgery, they'll still get someone they really like. The bet here is that they'd do better financially with Kolek than with Carlos Rodon, but I wouldn't rule out the latter. Everything I'm projecting here is about probabilities, or possibilities, not certainties.

PLAYER CARD
4Carlos RodonSCHOOL: N.C. StateHT: 6-4WT: 235POS: LHP
Analysis: This is close to a dream scenario for the Cubs, who'd love Rodon or Brady Aiken, would like Tyler Kolek, and will otherwise have to choose from the next tier; Jeff Hoffman's injury hurt them more than it hurt any other club, and that was just driven home further when Erick Fedde blew out his arm. (The Tommy John epidemic has crept into college baseball, too. Potential 2016 first-rounder Matt Krook saw his elbow spontaneously combust this spring.)

If all three of the top arms go before the Cubs pick, their mix will include Alex Jackson, Michael Conforto, Aaron Nola, and at least a half-dozen other possibilities, with even a rumor about Max Pentecost on a huge under-slot deal.

PLAYER CARD
5Nick GordonSCHOOL: Olympia HS, Orlando, Fla.HT: 6-1WT: 170POS: SS
Analysis: The Twins have been heavy on Gordon, Alex Jackson and Aaron Nola this spring, with Gordon considered the most likely choice. He would add some needed middle-infield strength to a system that's long been stronger in the outfield. There's also a rumor they'd like Jacob Gatewood on a discount, but it's not out of the question they could try to grab him on an over-slot deal at No. 46.

PLAYER CARD
6Michael ConfortoSCHOOL: Oregon StateHT: 6-1WT: 215POS: OF
Analysis: The Mariners, along with the Brewers, are among the most secretive clubs around the draft, and have been linked to a lot of names, including Conforto, Alex Jackson, Aaron Nola, Nick Gordon, Casey Gillaspie, Kyle Freeland and Grant Holmes. I take that to mean most of us don't really know who they truly want, other than a general feeling that Jackson won't get past them.

PLAYER CARD
7Aaron NolaSCHOOL: LSUHT: 6-1WT: 180POS: RHP
Analysis: The Phillies have been all over Jacob Gatewood and were heavy on Casey Gillaspie last weekend, but there's apparently a push there to take someone who's closer to helping the major league club -- a dangerous shift for a scouting staff that's long gone after higher-ceiling guys and seems to have hit on last year's top pick, athletic prep shortstop J.P. Crawford.

PLAYER CARD
8Kyle FreelandSCHOOL: EvansvilleHT: 6-4WT: 185POS: LHP
Analysis: The Rockies could go in a lot of directions, and I've also heard them connected to Nick Gordon, Aaron Nola and Trea Turner.

PLAYER CARD
9Touki ToussaintSCHOOL: Coral Springs (Fla.) Christian Acad.HT: 6-2WT: 195POS: RHP
Analysis: The Jays would love Nick Gordon, but there seems to be no way he runs the gauntlet from Minnesota to Colorado without someone taking him. They're clearly the high team on Toussaint and have been rumored all spring to be on prep arms.

PLAYER CARD
10Sean NewcombSCHOOL: HartfordHT: 6-4WT: 240POS: LHP
Analysis: The Mets are just on the best player available, whoever that turns out to be, which could include Newcomb, Bradley Zimmer, Aaron Nola (although I can't see him getting here) or Michael Conforto. I've heard them on all of the college arms, but again I don't think that implies they're not looking at bats.

PLAYER CARD
11Jeff HoffmanSCHOOL: East CarolinaHT: 6-3WT: 190POS: RHP
Analysis: This is a compensation pick for failing to sign 2013 first-rounder Phil Bickford, which also allows the Jays to get creative.

Hoffman was one of the top three arms in the draft until he underwent Tommy John surgery recently. The hot rumor of the week has the Jays using their second first-rounder on Hoffman, signing him for a little less than the recommended bonus for this draft slot (he can't exactly go back into next year's draft, as he would barely be back on a mound by next May), and use the savings on their next pick at 50.

In addition to prep arms, I've also heard them on Sean Newcomb and Brandon Finnegan before his shoulder barked recently.

PLAYER CARD
12Max PentecostSCHOOL: Kennesaw State UniversityHT: 6-1WT: 190POS: C
Analysis: The Brewers win the prize for the most "so-and-so doesn't get past their pick" comments this past week -- I've heard that with Kyle Freeland, Tyler Beede, Touki Toussaint and Grant Holmes, at the very least. Although those are all pitchers, I don't think they're looking exclusively at arms, with Pentecost the most common name for bats.

PLAYER CARD
13Trea TurnerSCHOOL: N.C. StateHT: 6-1WT: 171POS: SS
Analysis: The Padres are also on Michael Chavis and Kyle Freeland; I'd expect them to aim high with their first pick and pass on seemingly lower-ceiling guys such as Grant Holmes or Kyle Schwarber.

PLAYER CARD
14Grant HolmesSCHOOL: Conway (S.C.) HSHT: 6-2WT: 200POS: RHP
Analysis: I've also heard Jeff Hoffman doesn't get past them, and that they're the high team on Monte Harrison. One of the few real knocks on Holmes is his lack of height, but this is the team that picked and scored with Tim Lincecum, so I don't think they're fazed by a 6-foot right-hander if he has hit 98 mph before.

PLAYER CARD
15Kyle SchwarberSCHOOL: IndianaHT: 6-0WT: 240POS: 1B
Analysis: I'm also hearing them on Michael Chavis and on college arms, possibly Nick Burdi on a below-slot deal where he'd probably see the majors in August as a potential setup man.

PLAYER CARD
16Bradley ZimmerSCHOOL: San FranciscoHT: 6-5WT: 205POS: OF
Analysis: I've also heard Arizona connected to Grant Holmes, Monte Harrison, Casey Gillaspie and Alex Blandino (who might be a tweener for them, as they don't pick again until 55).

PLAYER CARD
17Derek FisherSCHOOL: VirginiaHT: 6-3WT: 215POS: OF
Analysis: The Royals are on a different mix of guys from the teams around them -- not necessarily a bad thing -- and I've also heard them on Monte Harrison, Michael Gettys and Kodi Medeiros, although with picks at 28 and 40, they could get very creative and end up with three guys they'd consider here at 17.

PLAYER CARD
18Erik FeddeSCHOOL: UNLVHT: 6-4WT: 165POS: RHP
Analysis: I've also heard them with a bunch of high school names, but since Mike Rizzo took over as general manager, the Nats have taken only one prep guy in the first round -- Lucas Giolito, who fell on concerns over an elbow injury and ended up needing Tommy John surgery, as Fedde does.

PLAYER CARD
19Sean Reid-FoleySCHOOL: Sandalwood HS, Jacksonville, Fla.HT: 6-3WT: 205POS: RHP
Analysis: I've heard them on a pretty broad mix of guys, mostly prep, including Monte Harrison, who is one of the fastest risers late in the spring.

PLAYER CARD
20Casey GillaspieSCHOOL: Wichita StateHT: 6-4WT: 238POS: 1B
Analysis: Conor's switch-hitting brother is in a lot of teams' mixes from the midpoint of the first round onward; I've also heard Tampa Bay with Braxton Davidson and Kyle Schwarber, and I have to think they'd consider Tyler Beede, as they've shown they're willing to bet on talent even where there's a question about makeup.

PLAYER CARD
21Monte HarrisonSCHOOL: Lee's Summit (Mo.) West HSHT: 6-2WT: 200POS: OF
Analysis: I'm also hearing them on Michael Chavis here, two-way threat Alex Verdugo (as a pitcher), although that could be for No. 31, and Max Pentecost, who wouldn't get to their next pick.

PLAYER CARD
22Derek HillSCHOOL: Elk Grove (Calif.) HSHT: 6-2WT: 170POS: OF
Analysis: As you might expect, I've also heard the Dodgers with a bunch of prep arms, including Sean Reid-Foley, Luis Ortiz and Justus Sheffield, although last year they took college guys in the first three rounds and took just one high school player in their top 12 picks.

PLAYER CARD
23A.J. ReedSCHOOL: KentuckyHT: 6-4WT: 245POS: 1B
Analysis: There's a running story in scouting circles -- part serious, part humorous -- that the Tigers and RHP Nick Burdi are as big a lock as you'll find in the draft, because they love to take hard-throwing guys, especially college arms, but the system is light on bats and they've been linked to a couple of the big conference position players.

PLAYER CARD
24Tyler BeedeSCHOOL: VanderbiltHT: 6-4WT: 215POS: RHP
Analysis: This is pure speculation by me -- the Pirates wouldn't shy away from a player with this ability even with some small makeup questions, and I believe they'd do this rather than take one of the high-upside prep players they're otherwise linked to.

PLAYER CARD
25Ti'Quan ForbesSCHOOL: Columbia (Miss.) HSHT: 6-4WT: 175POS: SS
Analysis: They're heavy on Forbes, sending most of the front office through there to see him (and it's not as though they were in Mississippi for other reasons), as well as Monte Harrison, who might be their first choice.

PLAYER CARD
26Marcus WilsonSCHOOL: Junipero Serra HS, Gardena, Calif.HT: 6-3WT: 175POS: OF
Analysis: The Red Sox are a good bet to grab any higher talent who falls because of concerns such as a high price tag or Tommy John surgery; I've also heard them with Chase Vallot, more likely for their compensatory pick at 33.

PLAYER CARD
27Foster GriffinSCHOOL: The First Academy, Orlando, Fla.HT: 6-5WT: 195POS: LHP
Analysis: They seem to be on college bats and prep arms here, from Luis Ortiz and Sean Reid-Foley to the various college bats I've got going ahead of them.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 84
RE: Players and prospects III - 5/19/2014 8:48:52 PM   
Mr. Ed

A little more pitching promise?

Roch 4-0 win

May 3-3 8IP 4H/4BB/6K
Thompson IP 2K

Arcia 1-4/3R HR(4), Beresford 2-4/double/R/RBi, Romero 2-4/double.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 85
RE: Players and prospects III - 5/19/2014 9:09:46 PM   
Mr. Ed

9 hits/8 walks powered NB to a 10-6 win

Ortiz 2-5/double/2R HR(3), Thomas 2-4/triple/BB/3R RBI/SB(5), Boyer 2-5/double/R/2RBI/E(5), Vargas 1-3/2BB/2R/RBI

Duffey 1-0 6.2IP 9H/5R/4ER/4K/HR
Salcedo 1.1IP 1-2 IRS 2H/2K
Turpen IP H/R/BB/2K

Escape while you can!
Post #: 86
RE: Players and prospects III - 5/19/2014 9:12:17 PM   
Mr. Ed

Vargas hitting .319 vs Lefties,, .304 vs RHP (He switch-hits)

OPS 1.014 vs lefties, .596 SLG, only 47 AB

OPS .884 vs RHP

after tonight, 21BB, 27 K in 149 at bats.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 87
RE: Players and prospects III - 5/20/2014 5:26:12 AM   
Mr. Ed

CRapids won 6-3

Huge night for Christensen. 4-4/2 2R HRs(2)/3R/4RBI, Walker 4-5/triple/2R/RBI, Haar 2-4/double/RBI/E(7), Thomas 1-3/double/BB/R

Montanez 1-2 5IP 5H/3R/3BB/5K/HR
Landa 2IP H/3BB/K
Boyd 2IP 3H/BB/2K/Save(6)

Escape while you can!
Post #: 88
RE: Players and prospects III - 5/20/2014 10:02:41 AM   
McMurfy

Bigger Papi needs to be at AA or AAA
24 in Dominican years is 28 in American years.

Hell, when I go to the Dom Rep, I'm a spry 29.

The Curse of Mauer is gone!
Post #: 89
RE: Players and prospects III - 5/20/2014 11:30:29 AM   
sixthwi

quote:

ORIGINAL: McMurfy

He's already in AA.

The generation who would change the world is still looking for its car keys.
Post #: 90
RE: Players and prospects III - 5/20/2014 11:34:15 AM   
McMurfy

quote:

ORIGINAL: sixthwi

quote:

ORIGINAL: McMurfy

He's already in AA.

Good, see
Just takes someone to say it out loud and it happens lickedy split.

The Curse of Mauer is gone!
Post #: 91
RE: Players and prospects III - 5/20/2014 1:43:38 PM   
SoMnFan

Murf = mover/shaker

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 92
RE: Players and prospects III - 5/20/2014 2:21:51 PM   
Mr. Ed

I imagine this is a result of the stellar corner OF talent in AA/AAA, AND Brian Dozier.

The #MNTwins plan for Eddie Rosario --suspension done in a few days -- is to play more OF than 2B. But he'll play some of the latter.

Rosario apparently doesn't have a gun so he's more likely to be a LF guy.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 93
RE: Players and prospects III - 5/20/2014 3:15:04 PM   
Mr. Ed

First part of this article is on Vargas

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20140520&content_id=76026598&fext=.jsp&vkey=news_milb&sid=milb

Escape while you can!
Post #: 94
RE: Players and prospects III - 5/20/2014 3:19:21 PM   
Mr. Ed

Roch was 6-hi6, 3-0 today

Florimon 2-3/E(6), Beresford/Wilkin/Romero/Bernier with a hit

Diamond 2-5 7IP 6H/3R/6K/HR
Achter 2IP 2H/3K

CRapids won today 4-2, with 2 in the 8th

Williams won it with a 2 run PH single. Avila 2-2/BB/RBI, Thomas 2-2/BB/R, Santy 2-3/double/BB/2R.

Stewart 6IP 4H/R/BB/3K
Muren 1-1 2IP 2H/R/3K
Van Steensel IP H/BB/Save(2)

Escape while you can!
Post #: 95
RE: Players and prospects III - 5/20/2014 3:54:21 PM   
Dave E

Six errors for Florimon since he was sent down?!

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 96
RE: Players and prospects III - 5/20/2014 3:57:26 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dave E

Six errors for Florimon since he was sent down?!

Rochester scorer isn't on the Twins payroll.

It's a terrible field(every night) to play on.

He's still in shock of being sent down.

Anything else outside the "overrated" angle?

Escape while you can!
Post #: 97
RE: Players and prospects III - 5/20/2014 3:59:02 PM   
Dave E

Maybe he's dropping acid before games?

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 98
RE: Players and prospects III - 5/20/2014 7:21:50 PM   
ewen21

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dave E

Maybe he's dropping acid before games?

Dropping acid before games results in drop balls during games.

That's just Baseball 101
Post #: 99
RE: Players and prospects III - 5/20/2014 8:19:33 PM   
Mr. Ed

FtM 7-2 winner tonight

Goodrum 1-3/triple(5)/Bb/R/2RBI/SB(8), Turner 1-4/2R HR(2), Harrison 2-4/2doubles(13)/R

Tomshaw 3-1 7IP 5H/2R/BB/4K/2HR
Boer 2IP H/2K

Escape while you can!
Post #: 100
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Players and prospects III Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode